Sous Vide ABV?

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Update on the cocoa butter chocolate making. Took just under half of the ABV cocoa butter form the above post and started making chocolates. I did some research to figure out the chocolate-making part of the recipe. If you google "making chocolate with cocoa butter and cocoa powder" you'll get some ideas, but few people ever seem to make these because there's usually little point in separating the powder from the butter then putting it all back together again. There are a lot of "raw chocolate" recipes out there that use coconut oil, cocoa powder, and honey, but while healthy they dont make a very practical chocolate (lower coconut oil melting point, plus honey contains water which can gunk things up). Ultimately I read that a 50/50 butter-to-powder ratio was typical, then people add sugar to that. Then I wanted to make milk chocolate because I have a buddy who prefers that to dark chocolate. So for every 50g of cocoa butter, I added 50g of cocoa powder, 30g of powdered sugar, and 20g of dried milk powder. I also wanted to add a little vanilla plus some salt to cut the bitterness, but I forgot to add it this batch... so I will try it next time.

So here were the steps:

1) First I made a mixture of 3 parts powdered sugar and 2 parts milk powder, then put it my VitaMix to make the particles finer. I read somewhere that these ingredients dont actually dissolve in chocolate (they are water soluble) so to avoid a grainy texture it helps to do this extra step. I made extra that I put aside for a second batch in the next few weeks.

2) Then I started melting the cocoa butter in a double boiler setup (metal bowl on top of a saucepan with an inch of simmering water). Then I whisked in the sugar/milk powder mixture, then the cocoa powder. I was pleasantly surprised that it all came together into a smooth mixture very easily.

3) With cocoa butter chocolate, you need to "temper" the chocolate for best results - otherwise it wont look smooth and it will have a lower melting point. Tempering is generally a big pain in the ass, but I recently saw a Serious Eats article where Kenji came up with a sous vide technique to temper it thats relatively foolproof. So after mixing it all the double boiler, I poured the chocolate into a vacuum bag and sealed it up (notice in the pic I had some trouble with it coming out of the bag before sealing):

VDicSxn.jpg

4) After following Kenji's tempering steps in the SV, I snipped off a corner of the back and squeezed the chocolate into molds:

6YOrk4B.jpg

5) Then I stuck these in the freezer for a few hours, popped them from the molds, and bagged the bars individually. I also was able to collect the scraps and stick them in a bag for recycling during the next batch.
HS3YZdz.jpg

With a very minimum of finger linking and scrap eating, I can tell already that these are pretty potent. My guess is that 2 little squares from the thin bar will be a very healthy regular dose. With the bigger bar sizes, a single "square" will probably be too much and will probably need to get cut in half at least. In terms of flavor, its good but it still tastes like ABV dark chocolate. You can barely tell that the milk powder is in there, and it could use more sugar plus the salt/vanilla to mask the ABV taste a little more. So for Batch #2 which I'll try in the next few weeks, I might double the sugar/milk powder proportion, which should also bring the potency down a little. Might also add some nuts for the bigger molds. Stay tuned.

Going to have to give that a try next sous vide session.

bZS7Z83.jpg

Been Vapin,

Techmob

Anyone know of a safe container to use an Anova in?

I purchased Rubbermaid https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubbermaid...TF8&qid=1470563635&sr=8-3&keywords=Rubbermaid

And it came with a sticker saying

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

So thought this product wouldn't be safe for Decarbing, but others cook within on Amazon.

Your thoughts or suggestions?
I have yet to use my Anova yet

Techmob,

MyCollie

I used the SV method (with a SV Supreme) to decarb some DeathStar. I added in a little ABV afterwards and then vac sealed it along with some frozen coconut oil and lecithin. I let it sit in the water bath for about 5 hours.

The result was some very strong canna coconut oil. It was the first time I'd tried edibles and I went overboard and was high for well over 10hrs.

I made some rice crispie treats with it and they were nice but still very strong. I'm going to try it again with a different strain and perhaps some butter instead of coconut oil.

MyCollie,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I made some rice crispie treats with it and they were nice but still very strong.
Make sure whenever cooking or baking you never exceed 325F, otherwise you start cooking off a bunch of the actives.

My wife still loves using my SV ABV butter to bake special cookies. She even enjoyed a few several days before taking a drug test and she still passed! I guess they aren't that potent, but they still got her medicated that night haha

Delta3DStudios,

MyCollie

Make sure whenever cooking or baking you never exceed 325F, otherwise you start cooking off a bunch of the actives.

Definitely. The rice crispy treats were fine but obviously they were easy to make. I'm looking forward to trying some other recipes - maybe even savory dishes with the canna butter / SV.

I've done beans in a jar in the SV. I'll bet I could add some butter or infused olive oil along with beans, aromatics, etc. for a nice savory enhanced side dish.

Fuggin

Chronic MasterBaker
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide
This is my goto website for cooking sous vide. As a chef I have worked with sv for years but never made edibles. I was stoned thinking it could work so after some googling I found this lovely thread. I will be doing my first batch sunday with some abv and some regular flower into coconut oil (separate batches)Cheers to all who have posted their data and research FC rules!

MyCollie

It's an excellent way to infuse fats and make cannabutter.

One of my favorite Sous Vide sides is polenta with lots of butter, Parmesan, and milk. Not healthy at all but it's great in small servings. I use my Supreme for so many things.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
One of my favorite Sous Vide sides is polenta with lots of butter, Parmesan, and milk. Not healthy at all but it's great in small servings. I use my Supreme for so many things.
Oooo, that sounds god - I need to tell my wife about that one

Delta3DStudios,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
first experiment with an ABV coconut oil sous vide infusion - this is a half cup of both with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin.
whaddya think?

Attachments

• sousoil.JPG
    sousoil.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
  • sousoil1.JPG
    sousoil1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 9

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
first experiment with an ABV coconut oil sous vide infusion - this is a half cup of both with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin.
whaddya think?
Looks good, how long did you cook it? Filter it through a few layers of cheesecloth to remove plant materials.

Been Vapin,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Looks good, how long did you cook it? Filter it through a few layers of cheesecloth to remove plant materials.
4 hours after it reached 185 F. (close to 5 hours in total)
I filtered it with double coffee filters through a potato ricer.
Yeah I know there's some plant material artifacts, I didn't see the need to bother any further but maybe further filtering with cheesecloth is a good idea.
I prepared a batch of organic brownies using cacao and coconut flour and coconut sugar yesterday.
(very easy, no need to buy an overly sweet probably unhealthy box mix)
Baked for 30 minutes at about 325 F.
I ate a small brownie about 630 last night and was essentially tripping through the night.

This was my first experiment using sous vide.
I'm totally blown away with how even and consistent the infusion went and how nuanced and magical the high was.
I bought the sous vide used on facebook marketplace as an experiment to use with bud, but watching videos I see that this is also an incredible way to slow cook food in general.

The thing is, I didn't have the sous vide bags or pump or vacuum sealer.
So I used a smaller sized mason jar.
(I figured it's ok to experiment with ABV after all it's free and it's "only" ABV, right?)
Anyway to keep the mason jar from floating I filled it with filtered water almost to the top.
That worked perfectly with a paperweight on top of the not tightly closed mason jar lid.

After the four hours I shut off the sous vide and let the mason jar settle to room temp while still in the water.
Then I sealed the jar a little tighter and placed it in the refrigerator until the oil solidified (overnight).
The next morning I cut a little piece of the solidified coconut oil that's on top allowing the water at the bottom to spill out.

This was an incredibly successful experiment.

I have a magical butter machine and if it wasn't for the fact that I like making CBD flower infusions with it, running it two cycles after decarbing for two cycles in the Ardent, I'd get rid of it and rely only on the sous vide. I believe it provides a more thorough infusion. It's amazing, and the concept of how it works is amazing also.

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
4 hours after it reached 185 F. (close to 5 hours in total)
I filtered it with double coffee filters through a potato ricer.
Yeah I know there's some plant material artifacts, I didn't see the need to bother any further but maybe further filtering with cheesecloth is a good idea.
I prepared a batch of organic brownies using cacao and coconut flour and coconut sugar yesterday.
(very easy, no need to buy an overly sweet probably unhealthy box mix)
Baked for 30 minutes at about 325 F.
I ate a small brownie about 630 last night and was essentially tripping through the night.

This was my first experiment using sous vide.
I'm totally blown away with how even and consistent the infusion went and how nuanced and magical the high was.
I bought the sous vide used on facebook marketplace as an experiment to use with bud, but watching videos I see that this is also an incredible way to slow cook food in general.

The thing is, I didn't have the sous vide bags or pump or vacuum sealer.
So I used a smaller sized mason jar.
(I figured it's ok to experiment with ABV after all it's free and it's "only" ABV, right?)
Anyway to keep the mason jar from floating I filled it with filtered water almost to the top.
That worked perfectly with a paperweight on top of the not tightly closed mason jar lid.

After the four hours I shut off the sous vide and let the mason jar settle to room temp while still in the water.
Then I sealed the jar a little tighter and placed it in the refrigerator until the oil solidified (overnight).
The next morning I cut a little piece of the solidified coconut oil that's on top allowing the water at the bottom to spill out.

This was an incredibly successful experiment.

I have a magical butter machine and if it wasn't for the fact that I like making CBD flower infusions with it, running it two cycles after decarbing for two cycles in the Ardent, I'd get rid of it and rely only on the sous vide. I believe it provides a more thorough infusion. It's amazing, and the concept of how it works is amazing also.
id recommend start least 6 hours in the bathe, I try to do 8+ hours.

Been Vapin,
Reactions: jeffp

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
id recommend start least 6 hours in the bathe, I try to do 8+ hours.
Makes sense, and will try next go round but 4 hours produced a great infusion.
Forgot to mention I added a heaping tablespoon of sunflower lecithin and I believe it worked as a booster and it also adds a pleasant creamy taste.

Last edited:
jeffp,
Top Bottom