So What's Your Take on Kids Vaping/Smoking in their Parents House.....

lwien

.....when they know that their parents are totally against it?

Ya see this happening on other boards and it has been raised here more than once.

"I wanna order a vape or a bong but I gotta hide it from my parents."

Do ya think that it's ok............or not?

(this could end up being a pretty lively debate...... :) )

lwien,

caseball2051

I am a college student and have been partaking openly since my freshman year of high school. They only told me to be careful. My parents both admitted to doing it in their past and never forbid me from doing it. I was told to be smart about it. I was an honor society sutdent in high school. and I have maintained a 3.0 or higher in college, so it never has mattered.

As far as indulging in my parents house, I have never smoked inside of their house. I think that would be very disrespectful and the thought has NEVER crossed my mind. I would always carry my EHLE when I combusted and sit in my car. Id come back in shortly after and no questions were asked, even with bong in hand.

Since converting to vaping, I do it inside the house. I used to open a window and do it and just blow it out the window. My mother knows that I am using my vaporizer but because the smell is not offensive and she says that she only smelt it once, she is OK with it.

The situation depends on the parents, and the child.

caseball2051,

flowmotion

I don't really see what there is to debate, not to be a jerk about it. I just think that discussing this kind of topic isn't going to get very far - most people hide a large amount of things from their parents. Drinking and drugs are probably the most common things hidden. It's human nature - most kids hide things from their parents. Is it wrong? Maybe.

I guess it comes down to the question: Should I adhere to my parents beliefs/morals instead of my own?

My parents are 100% not okay with smoking. Drinking I'm definitely more open about, but they have made it clear that they never want me to smoke (I don't recall them mentioning vaping :p). How would you approach it?

flowmotion,

lwien

caseball2051 said:
The situation depends on the parents, and the child.

Ok, let me boil it down further. You have open-minded parents, but what if you didn't? What if your parents were totally against it. Would you do it behind their backs anyway, in their house?

lwien,

lwien

flowmotion said:
Should I adhere to my parents beliefs/morals instead of my own?

You should follow their rules until you are capable of living on your own, beliefs and morals aside.

lwien,

flowmotion

lwien said:
flowmotion said:
Should I adhere to my parents beliefs/morals instead of my own?

You should follow their rules until you are capable of living on your own, beliefs and morals aside.

If it helps my case, I did until 2 weeks ago. I had never smoked in my life, and didn't plan on it. I actually do understand your arguement, and I don't have much to prove you wrong with. I guess...ideally...I would be that person. Sadly, I'm not that good of a person? I guess? (:p this is why I said it's hard to argue this)

flowmotion,

crawdad

floatin
i was considering a thread about parents vaping when kids are nearby but this one is seems interesting as well.

medicating a known problem aside...while you are in the "developing stages" of life (this includes the brain) im not convinced its a good thing to experiment with the altering of the brain, especially if what you are after is a recreational or insightful experience. :2c:

another aspect is the respect of a parent's wishes for their own child, while you believe you know better id say its not your place to come into conflict unless there is clear harm you are able to prevent.

alright, pick it apart. :peace:

crawdad,

lwien

flowmotion said:
Sadly, I'm not that good of a person? I guess?

Woah there. This has NOTHING to do about being a good person or not, but it does have something to do with doing the right thing.

lwien,

caseball2051

Uh, II would not do it inside thier house if I knew they were against it. That would be too disrespectful for me.

caseball2051,

flowmotion

lwien said:
flowmotion said:

Woah there. This has NOTHING to do about being a good person or not, but it does have something to do with doing the right thing.

How does it have nothing to do with being a good person?

- I am doing the wrong thing
- I know I am doing the wrong thing

Yet, I still do it.

Regarding the thread title: I would never smoke in my parents house. Mainly because I would be caught and murdered, but also out of respect I guess.

flowmotion,

lwien

flowmotion said:
lwien said:
flowmotion said:

Yet, I still do it.

Because good people make mistakes.

But let me ask you this. If you know that you are doing something wrong, and yet, continue to do it anyway, why do you continue to do it? (and for arguments sake, lets leave out if what you are doing is justifiably right or wrong, for the fact of the matter is that you BELIEVE that it is wrong, and yet, you still do it.)

lwien,

flowmotion

lwien said:
flowmotion said:
lwien said:

Yet, I still do it.

Because good people make mistakes.

But let me ask you this. If you know that you are doing something wrong, and yet, continue to do it anyway, why do you continue to do it? (and for arguments sake, lets leave out weather what you are doing is justifiably right or wrong.)

My parents believe it is wrong, I currently do not. That is why I do it, and of course, because I enjoy it.

flowmotion,

lwien

flowmotion said:
My parents believe it is wrong, I currently do not.

That is not what you said above.

You said, "- I am doing the wrong thing
Yet, I still do it."

I can't discuss this with you if you're going to talk in circles and disagree with yourself.

lwien,

flowmotion

Haha. No no no.

My parents believe smoking weed is wrong.
I do not.

I believe doing something my parents are not okay with is wrong, which is what I was referring to in that quote.

flowmotion,

lwien

flowmotion said:

Have they explained it to you WHY they think that it's wrong?

I don't know how old you are, but assuming that you are young, here's my take on it as to why I think it's wrong. I do not think that it's a good idea for ANY mind altering substance to enter a kids brain that is still in it's stages of development. Why? Because you are learning how to cope with life and all the problems, roadblocks and hurdles that are associated with living. When you introduce a mind altering substance into that equation, it makes that process that much more difficult to learn...............and is one of the downfalls of using any drug, be it MJ or anything else, at any age, but ESPECIALLY when used by kids.

That's why I've always felt that before anyone partakes in anything that alters their perception of reality, that they have their basic foundations laid out pretty well beforehand.

lwien,

flowmotion

lwien said:
flowmotion said:

I don't know how old you are, but assuming that you are young, here's my take on it as to why I think it's wrong. I do not think that it's a good idea for ANY mind altering substance to enter a kids brain that is still in it's stages of development. Why? Because you are learning how to cope with life and all the problems, roadblocks and hurdles that are associated with living. When you introduce a mind altering substance into that equation, it makes that process that much more difficult to learn.

No, they really haven't. Both of my parents are very anti-marijuana though. Whenever I've brought it up or even suggested talking about, they refuse to even consider my opinion. This was when I also didn't smoke and had no desire to - just wanted to talk about it. I'm 19.

flowmotion,

danalee48

Well, back when I used to live with my parents I did smoke/vape in the house on without them knowing. At the time I was doing this my parents had never talked about marijuana with me, so I was completely unaware of what my parents' stance was about drug use. I knew that my father had used any substance he could get his hands on before he got sent to rehab, but I had no clue what viewpoint he had about my personal usage of drugs.

I hid my indoor vaping from my parents for 8 months, and they never found out that I did it in the house. They eventually found out about my indulgence after I came home from a party reeking of smoke, and my father went on to tell me that if I kept smoking weed I would end up a friendless low-life and in rehab. 3 weeks after he told told me this I caught him in our basement smoking a joint. He had been keeping his smoking a secret from our whole family, including my mother, for approximately 12 years (ever since he got out of rehab).

Telling this little backstory may have been somewhat unnecessary and lengthy, but I felt I needed to tell it just to illustrate the lack of respect there was in my family in particular. When I was vaping in secret at home it wasn't meant to be an act of disrespect. It also wasn't about disrespect when my father was keeping his smoking a secret. But when my mother eventually found out about my father's usage she was heartbroken and felt completely betrayed. But what struck me was how she seemed most offended by the fact that he was smoking in the house.

The question that opened this thread is a very difficult one to answer for me. I want to say it's ok because I did it, and because I was so good at hiding it I never ended up hurting anyone. But I also know that if I was ever caught my mother would have felt betrayed and disrespected. I value honesty, so my conclusion is that in most cases it is most definitely not right to disrespect one's parents in such a blatant way. If there is any way of getting out of the house and partaking it would be ideal, but sometimes that opportunity doesn't present itself. In that case, either don't do it or just hide it really fucking well. lol

On another note, one thing I've thought about for a while is if it was okay that my father was smoking in the house and keeping it a secret from the whole family? Is it just as wrong as what I was doing, or does the family hierarchy make a difference? Is lying better when a certain person does it simply because they're the "man of the family"? Or is lying about it just plain wrong?

danalee48,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
I come from a religious family and when I lived with them I was also told not to swear, masturbate, have sex, drink, smoke cigarettes, etc. in the house It's a parent's job to keep away anything that might cause their child harm, and also protect themselves and their investments (the house, the car.) I would bet at one point in their lives they enjoyed getting high too and I would imagine they aren't too concerned about the morality issue, but what they stand to lose if you get caught. Kids who are still in high school or even college can't afford getting busted, and if the car is in the parent's name or if they throw a party at the parents house and a large amount of marijuana is found, they're fucked and so are you.

I regret doing it but kids will be kids....

AgentofChaos,

crawdad

floatin
danalee48, thanks for sharing your story. :peace:

danalee48 said:
On another note, one thing I've thought about for a while is if it was okay that my father was smoking in the house and keeping it a secret from the whole family? Is it just as wrong as what I was doing, or does the family hierarchy make a difference? Is lying better when a certain person does it simply because they're the "man of the family"? Or is lying about it just plain wrong?

excellent point you make. as a parent i am open with everything that is appropriate. that is how i look at it. my children are quite young yet very little is kept from them, things that others might find taboo for children to know about i have explained but only on the level of their age, meaning: not going into major detail or making a huge emphasis on it like a major sit down talk.

with mind altering substances i have yet to bring it up since i feel at this point it has zero relevance to them, its only consumed when they are in deep sleep and done outside so no smell or residual is left for them. i have touched base with things that are off-limits to them yet is done around them by me such as alcohol or the occasional cigar. at their age its ok with them that some things are for me and not ok for them, i even have a phrase for when me and the wife talk about "adult" things and its called "tall talk".

as they get older i know at some point the issue will be raised and i plan to raise it so its done with ease and no pressure. im not sure at what age im ok with it being consumed if that is something they want to do, but i have time to ponder it. i will never lie to them about anything though, this even includes santa.

crawdad,

lwien

danalee48 said:

One thing to consider is "intent". Was your father hiding his usage because he felt that his using would give free reign on his kids using? His reason for hiding may have honorable intentions in not wanting to expose something to his kids that he felt was harmful. This, obviously, is not the case when kids hide their use from their parents.

But, you Dad was still taking a big gamble on hiding his usage and apparently, he felt that his usage and taking that gamble took precedence over the welfare of his own kids, which does raise the aspect of addiction.

And crawdad, talking to your kids, and even more importantly, making it safe for them to talk to you, is paramount in being a good parent. Kudos to you........ :)

lwien,

danalee48

lwien said:
One thing to consider is "intent". Was your father hiding his usage because he felt that his using would give free reign on his kids using? His reason for hiding may have honorable intentions in not wanting to expose something to his kids that he felt was harmful. This, obviously, is not the case when kids hide their use from their parents.

I'm glad you brought up "intent" because that is what I often question with my father and this particular situation. My father went to rehab for severe alcoholism, and once he started going to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings he got re-introduced to the medical properties of cannabis and smoking weed helped him stay off his far more crippling addictions and drug use. Smoking weed proved to be very helpful to my dad, and he knew that it was. This is why I am so confused as to why he insisted on keeping it a deep, dark secret for so long. He knew that both my brother and I smoked, so we weren't going to antagonize him. And even though my mother can be very irrational about drugs, I am sure that she would have struck a compromise with my father.

I guess in the end it just kind of kills me that honesty about marijuana in families could make for a much more peaceful living environment and maybe a little bit less ignorance, both in the older and younger generations!

P.S.- Please forgive me for taking the thread to a completely different topic :/

danalee48,

reece

lwien said:
flowmotion said:

I don't know how old you are, but assuming that you are young, here's my take on it as to why I think it's wrong. I do not think that it's a good idea for ANY mind altering substance to enter a kids brain that is still in it's stages of development. Why? Because you are learning how to cope with life and all the problems, roadblocks and hurdles that are associated with living. When you introduce a mind altering substance into that equation, it makes that process that much more difficult to learn...............and is one of the downfalls of using any drug, be it MJ or anything else, at any age, but ESPECIALLY when used by kids.

That's why I've always felt that before anyone partakes in anything that alters their perception of reality, that they have their basic foundations laid out pretty well beforehand.

I agree, even though most people I know started in their early teens (some as early as 9 or 10). Most of them are fine, productive adults and the ones that aren't I find it hard to blame on weed.

I first smoked weed at 18 years old, really got into it around 19. I was still at home when I bought my first bong. I had it shipped to my work (boss thought it was a Christmas gift for mom), and I kept it at a friend's house, his parents weren't very involved. There was no way I'd try anything at my mom's or grandmother's houses.

I have absolutely no problem with my kids partaking when they are no longer children. If they get into it before adulthood, there will be a problem, just as if they started drinking.

Parents' house, their rules. Now of course, a kid's gonna do what a kid's gonna do. But I don't have to be a party to that. I'm not a kid anymore, I have a different role. Same as if a kid asked for advice on purchasing alcohol.

reece,
Top Bottom