Smart E-Nail by Perfect Dab Tech

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
https://perfectdabtech.com/

Hello FC! I am in the process of creating a smarter E-Nail that is not only affordable and easy to use, but also complete with features that make concentrate use more efficient, safe, and interactive!

Current Features
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Touchscreen
  • Auto-shutoff
  • Bad coil detection
  • Live temperature charting
tempgraph.jpg

I am in communication with someone who is going to be machining aluminum enclosures, so the plastic enclosures shown on the website are temporary. Please feel free to post questions, comments or concerns! I will do my best to respond to as much as I can!

Please feel free to discuss any features you'd like to see as well!

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
Seems cool! Welcome to FC :)

How far into development is this iteration currently? Are you still in the prototyping phase?
Was this a passion project, something you started in your spare time, or have you been working on this for a while?

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
Sounds interesting.
How do you think to make the experience more efficient?

Several different ways! For power efficiency, whereas other e-nails have auto-shutoff on a timer, mine will attempt to detect when the last dab was and then shutoff after a programmable amount of time of no usage.

Seems cool! Welcome to FC :)
How far into development is this iteration currently? Are you still in the prototyping phase?
Was this a passion project, something you started in your spare time, or have you been working on this for a while?

This was something I started in my spare time several years ago, and then recently I decided to pursue production of this after being repeatedly told by friends that I should be selling these.

Baron23

Hello FC! I am in the process of creating a smarter E-Nail that is not only affordable and easy to use, but also complete with features that make concentrate use more efficient, safe, and interactive!

Current Features
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Touchscreen
  • Auto-shutoff
  • Bad coil detection
  • Live temperature charting
tempgraph.jpg

I am in communication with someone who is going to be machining aluminum enclosures, so the plastic enclosures shown on the website are temporary. Please feel free to post questions, comments or concerns! I will do my best to respond to as much as I can!

Please feel free to discuss any features you'd like to see as well!

Personally, I would get rid of the touch screen in favor of discreet controls

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
Looks interesting, will it work on 220/240 VAC as well as 110?
Thanks for the feedback! All of the components should be ready for 240v but I would have to double check. If not then I could still make 240V compatible models as needed!

Personally, I would get rid of the touch screen in favor of discreet controls
I originally was using a rotary dial/clicker, but that felt too similar to other E-Nails I’ve used before! I have yet to see a touchscreen e-nail though and I really like how simple it is to navigate through menus on it. Thanks for the feedback!

perfectdabtech,
Reactions: LesPlenty

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
Well, every car has a gas pedal because....it works best for the function.

Just saying....

Right but in 20 years will self driving cars have a gas pedal? If the only setting that needed to be changed was temperature then no doubt a rotary dial would be appropriate. But when things like custom settings and presets come into play it would be much much easier and quicker to just use a touch menu! Hope I could shed some light on why I went with the touch interface!

Baron23

Right but in 20 years will self driving cars have a gas pedal? If the only setting that needed to be changed was temperature then no doubt a rotary dial would be appropriate. But when things like custom settings and presets come into play it would be much much easier and quicker to just use a touch menu! Hope I could shed some light on why I went with the touch interface!
Do as you wish, but the last interface I would want on an enail controller is a touch screen.

Cheers

Baron23,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
@Baron23 I am pretty sure the original hex-nail was touch screen, wasn't it?

HN-01 was indeed touch-screen. And touch-screen only. HN-02 was app/webclient-only.

Clearly we can see a prime example, again using HN, as to why both of these options with no physical alternative are pretty much worthless.

muunch,

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
HN-01 was indeed touch-screen. And touch-screen only. HN-02 was app/webclient-only.

Clearly we can see a prime example, again using HN, as to why both of these options with no physical alternative are pretty much worthless.

A simple slider to set the temp is all it should take. I understand the issue with having no controls at all (HN-02). But having a dial as opposed to a slider really doesn’t make sense to me. The whole point of this project was to make a different, smarter e-nail. So why I would want to use a dial like every other controller, analog or digital?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
A simple slider to set the temp is all it should take. I understand the issue with having no controls at all (HN-02). But having a dial as opposed to a slider really doesn’t make sense to me. The whole point of this project was to make a different, smarter e-nail. So why I would want to use a dial like every other controller, analog or digital?

I'm sorry. No shade meant. I didn't see you had plans to implement any physical controls - as long as there is some sort, it'd be great.

Neither of the HexNails had any physical controls besides on/off and I think that's a huge mistake. There's no point in having all this functionality if it all disappears one day - whether the company disappears, or the servers go down after some catastrophe, etc.

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
I'm sorry. No shade meant. I didn't see you had plans to implement any physical controls - as long as there is some sort, it'd be great.

Neither of the HexNails had any physical controls besides on/off and I think that's a huge mistake. There's no point in having all this functionality if it all disappears one day - whether the company disappears, or the servers go down after some catastrophe, etc.
No you’re all good brother I am here for all discussion I appreciate your feedback I’m glad I could clear that up! I would hate to be HAVE to be on my phone to change temp settings or something like that. But for more complicated functions a Bluetooth interface is the most efficient way. It would never HAVE to be connected to internet or anything like that for full functionality! Say I’m out camping in the woods with no WiFi and we are using a vehicle 120V to power the enail. I agree it would make zero sense to not be able to use the functions simply because we are without internet.. easy to see why HexNail failed the way it did.

Thanks again for the feedback.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
The HN-01 had 3 control interfaces, touchscreen, a very flawed web app through a 3rd party server, and my favorite method was the built in web interface that required no outside servers or connections aside for being on the same IP subnet and even that could be worked around.

Why other smart nails Ive seen do not seem to have this feature is beyond me, I don't want a dashboard, I don't need remote control from my car, quite frankly I don't want to log in to anything outside of my home at any point to use my nail. You're example of being in the woods running off grid is very much one of my primary use cases when I goto festivals.

All that being said, Im liking what I'm hearing and seeing from this, as long as the price isn't insane like some other units floating around. I don't mind paying for software development but just because it says smart in the name doesn't mean $300 isn't excessive.

Does the BT control require an app or is it via web ui? I strongly vote for web ui if it isn't.

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
The HN-01 had 3 control interfaces, touchscreen, a very flawed web app through a 3rd party server, and my favorite method was the built in web interface that required no outside servers or connections aside for being on the same IP subnet and even that could be worked around.

Why other smart nails Ive seen do not seem to have this feature is beyond me, I don't want a dashboard, I don't need remote control from my car, quite frankly I don't want to log in to anything outside of my home at any point to use my nail. You're example of being in the woods running off grid is very much one of my primary use cases when I goto festivals.

All that being said, Im liking what I'm hearing and seeing from this, as long as the price isn't insane like some other units floating around. I don't mind paying for software development but just because it says smart in the name doesn't mean $300 isn't excessive.

Does the BT control require an app or is it via web ui? I strongly vote for web ui if it isn't.

So if I understand correctly the HN-01 basically created its own wireless network and you connected to that and then went to local IP address to access a webserver? This is an interesting concept, although I imagine the actual computer processes are much more intensive for running a webserver as compared to Bluetooth.

I would like to do a Web App, but iOS doesn't allow BT over web applications. Apple always ruining our fun lol.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
So if I understand correctly the HN-01 basically created its own wireless network and you connected to that and then went to local IP address to access a webserver? This is an interesting concept, although I imagine the actual computer processes are much more intensive for running a webserver as compared to Bluetooth.

I would like to do a Web App, but iOS doesn't allow BT over web applications. Apple always ruining our fun lol.

No the HN-02 claimed to do that but never really pulled it off IMO. The 01 just joined whatever network you were on and you could nav to its IP and the built in server.

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
No the HN-02 claimed to do that but never really pulled it off IMO. The 01 just joined whatever network you were on and you could nav to its IP and the built in server.

Personally I would way rather code a webapp than iOS/Android. It just seems like Bluetooth is the best option for those not familiar with how Webservers and IP addresses work. Honestly my biggest gripe with Bluetooth apps is that they're usually over-complicated, ugly, and extremely hard to navigate. I just want to provide the most user friendly yet customizable experience possible.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Personally I would way rather code a webapp than iOS/Android. It just seems like Bluetooth is the best option for those not familiar with how Webservers and IP addresses work. Honestly my biggest gripe with Bluetooth apps is that they're usually over-complicated, ugly, and extremely hard to navigate. I just want to provide the most user friendly yet customizable experience possible.

With BT are you limited to only utilizing apps or is there another way to do it? I know you mentioned no for iOS and I guess my follow up would be how are you going to mitigate having to be at the mercy of app stores for the most part?

Im not sure what internals you plan on running but the HN-02...IF it worked like it was claimed, would have been a great setup that didn't require much in the way of compute power and was run off a pretty low end SBC.

perfectdabtech

Manufacturer
With BT are you limited to only utilizing apps or is there another way to do it? I know you mentioned no for iOS and I guess my follow up would be how are you going to mitigate having to be at the mercy of app stores for the most part?

Im not sure what internals you plan on running but the HN-02...IF it worked like it was claimed, would have been a great setup that didn't require much in the way of compute power and was run off a pretty low end SBC.

I'd just have to bite the bullet and pay to get my app on the app store. There's not really any work around for iOS. Pretty much every operating system except iOS (even MacOS) allows Bluetooth LE through Progressive Web Apps. So I could have web-based BT interfaces for everything except iPhones, which could get their own app.

perfectdabtech,
Top Bottom