Should I Buy My Fourteen Year Old A Vaporizer, If She's Combusting?

Tragikkkkk

Hey VW,

First up, anti-depressants are super duper bad for teens as I was one of them that was prescribed to Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Zoloft. I did decently long stints on and off for about 10 years on them, Zoloft being the last one I was on. I've had anxiety issues ever since I was small, and my primary care physician thought he was helping me out, which i don't hold against him, but he wasn't. About 2 years ago I started studying Psychology and Social Work in college and found that a lot of problems can be solved through good therapy. I figured I'd try it and it took a few different psychologists and counselors to get it right, but I finally found a Psy.D. (Dr. of Psychology) and a Psychiatrist that I became quite fond of and with my previous education in that field, I could tell they had their heads on their shoulders and gave out meaningful and helpful advice. During this time I was on 100mg of Zoloft a day, I asked them both what they thought about that. Both of them, one educated in the Biological/Medical and the other educated in theory and cognitive fields, agreed that Zoloft, along with other anti-depressants are far to risky to take unless ABSOLUTELY needed. They both told me that they rewire your brain in such a matter that not even the Pharmaceutical companies that produce them, know exactly how they effect individuals, both behaviorally and biologically. Needless to say once I finally got off Zoloft and had good mental therapy I was much much much happier.

As for a 14 yr. old girl smoking pot, its understandable, but not advisable. Now I am about to graduate in Sociology and if there is one thing I've learned, it's that by far the hardest shoes to be in are that of a high school girl, whether they realize it or not. Just from the pressure of fitting in and getting the approval of their female peers and also dealing with the extremely immature and hurtful things that teen girls are capable of doing to an outcasted girl, thats strike one. Strike two, they're forced to grow up extremely quickly compared to their male counterparts, and therefore are usually forced to mature at a faster rate. Strike three, and the biggest strike, the media. The media (tv, movies, magazines, facebook, etc.) alone is responsible for more cases of suicides, anorexia, bulimia, body dysmorphic disorders, anxiety, depression, and personality disorders than any other source they will encounter in their lives. They are held to standards and norms that are so unrealistic and unattainable, by the media, which are enforced by their female peers, that it's bound to cause all those issues that I previously listed. So with that said, I think it is a bad idea for a 14 year old girl to be smoking, just because they don't know what they want or where they're at in life, with all that social pressure upon them, and developing cognitive systems and their personality, flawed coping skills developed at that age could eventually even lead to their death, I've seen it far too much with girls that I grew up with. This is all just my opinion but I hope it is helpful. I don't mean to scare and raise concerns just letting that in the Internet Age, many problems are caused by the unseen, and that many can't recognize them until its far too late to have a hopeful impact on them.

------Trgk

Tragikkkkk,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
just wanted to add something else. id rather have my teen on pot then an anti-depressant as stated before.

seems everyday you turn the t.v. on to hear about another pill that caused serious implications.

just saw another one and had to report.

weed not pills.

gettin lifted,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
As for a 14 yr. old girl smoking pot, its understandable, but not advisable. Now I am about to graduate in Sociology and if there is one thing I've learned, it's that by far the hardest shoes to be in are that of a high school girl, whether they realize it or not. Just from the pressure of fitting in and getting the approval of their female peers and also dealing with the extremely immature and hurtful things that teen girls are capable of doing to an outcasted girl, thats strike one. Strike two, they're forced to grow up extremely quickly compared to their male counterparts, and therefore are usually forced to mature at a faster rate. Strike three, and the biggest strike, the media. The media (tv, movies, magazines, facebook, etc.) alone is responsible for more cases of suicides, anorexia, bulimia, body dysmorphic disorders, anxiety, depression, and personality disorders than any other source they will encounter in their lives. They are held to standards and norms that are so unrealistic and unattainable, by the media, which are enforced by their female peers, that it's bound to cause all those issues that I previously listed. So with that said, I think it is a bad idea for a 14 year old girl to be smoking, just because they don't know what they want or where they're at in life, with all that social pressure upon them, and developing cognitive systems and their personality, flawed coping skills developed at that age could eventually even lead to their death, I've seen it far too much with girls that I grew up with. This is all just my opinion but I hope it is helpful. I don't mean to scare and raise concerns just letting that in the Internet Age, many problems are caused by the unseen, and that many can't recognize them until its far too late to have a hopeful impact on them.

This is perfectly put. Add to that the fact that it is an age where kids (both boys and girls) are "misfits." I used to say, "they don't know if they should sit at the children's table or with the adults. They don't fit at either table." It's not just the girls that suffer at this age. It's all kids.

I realize that I may come off as hypocritical in saying that 14 year olds shouldn't smoke pot since I started at that age. But I also know where that path led me. At 14, I was a typical, insecure girl whose parents had divorced. I started toking because it made me feel better and took me "away" from my problems for a while. It was also "cool" and "safe" because it was a "natural" substance. Because I was 14 and insecure and wanted people to like me, it wasn't long before I succumbed to other drugs, which ultimately led to heroin. I don't fault mj with that; more my personality. But there it is. I was the kid everyone's parents thought had it all together; the "good" girl. I was the one everyone wanted their kids to play with. Outwardly, I was a typical, smart, 14 year old girl. But inside, I was a scared, insecure kid who turned to an alternative reality instead of dealing with the normal problems presented to many other 14 year olds out there. I still say try a more natural route before condoning mj. She has the rest of her life to use. Let her grow up a little first.

momofthegoons,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
VW, You have quite a pickle here. Just the fact that you are seeking opinions on this complicated matter proves that you want to do what's right for your daughter. Many valuable pearls of wisdom here for you to take from.
My experience is...
I was that depressed teenage girl, not super popular, but also not being made fun of like bitchy teen girls are wont to do. I started using around age fifteen, did the whole anti depressant thing, which led me to where I am today as a mom and wife functioning with Bipolar III, currently medicating with Cannabis and a few other herbs & supplements, a decent diet and exercise. Had it not been for Cannabis, i would likely be worse off than I am now. Flat, unemotional, etc. all of those fun side effects from the pills. It may have been risky for me to use regularly at such a young age, but it's certainly less risky than the multiple suicide attempts that Zoloft & friends caused. That's just me tho - everyone's chemistry differs. Doesn't sound like your daughter is in that boat.

My parents had to have known i was using, but chose not to ever address it. fine with me!

That being said, your daughter may or may not have an underlying issue of real depression - not just typical 'teenage girl melancholy'. If she does, then IMO, it needs to be treated as a medical issue. Lifestyle changes like good diet and exercise can go a long way to healing - but really, she's a teenage girl and will do whatever she wants - more so if you tell her not to.

So, In short, explain the good, bad and ugly (specifically the ramifications of her getting caught or doing something really stupid if she over indulges) of cannabis use, explain vaporization and it's benefits and then step back and let her choose. If she's a facts and figures person, there are plenty of sources, medical journals, etc. so you can present her with FACTS, not ONDCP propaganda.
Probably not the answer that most would give, but that's how I feel.

Best of luck to you, VW, hope you figure it out soon.

herbgirl,

tahoey

I think it's about maturity and moderation, your daughter seems to posess both. In my experience it's good to remember at crossroads like this that you are raising an adult, and shell be on her own soon. If she is using responsibly and her school/work isn't suffering then I see no harm. It's an opportunity to teach about responsible use. Also teach about the diff between cannabis and hard drugs. Since she is already using, the cats out of the bag so demonizing weed prob won't get you anywhere, you'll be spinning your wheels and shell just use behind your back anyway. Also, if she knows she can come to you about this and you treat her like an adult, chances are shell trust you later when she needs guidance or advise.

tahoey,

los

if you raise your child in a mj environment and they decide to smoke/vape then honestly you cant blame them(not saying you, i mean you as in general) i think its hypocritical to tell them not to do it. the catch is what responsible parent encourages or condones such action, my belief is that each case is different and should be handled accordingly. some use drugs, others abuse drugs, while i know the difference i doubt that a minor can distinguish between the 2 as they are at an age where they know everything. i know a couple of parents who have deals in place with their kids, you can only smoke when you are home, or on certain days or if they do good in school.

to each its own, i can not tell another how best to raise their child....to be honest i dont know what i would do if faced with this same scenario. i can tell you this, i like that you asked.....that takes courage imo. i hope all works out for you and your daughter.

los,
Top Bottom