shizlefonizle

reece

I'm just wondering if you know what your screen name says when translated into English? Specifically, nizzle?

If you know what it means, why do you use it?

reece,

reece

It's an extremely disgusting word, that can be used with no ill intent but probably shouldn't be used considering the struggles of so many people to move this country beyond that mindset.

Some people toss the phrase, "fo shizzle my nizzle," around without realizing what it is they're saying. They heard it in a song and think it's cool to just use it anywhere.

reece,

crawdad

floatin
reece said:
Some people toss the phrase, "fo shizzle my nizzle," around without realizing what it is they're saying. They heard it in a song and think it's cool to just use it anywhere.

perhaps they realize it to mean something quite innocent, in that case i dont see a major issue.

lots of words can have different meanings depending on context/intent. we can all move forward worrying less about words and more on intent. maybe you meant that, i dont know. i certainly like not having to worry about using the wrong word when i have no ill intentions. :peace:

crawdad,

MG23

Relaxin'
Someone clearly didn't go to public school.

There is no ill will intended and in this age it is almost exclusively used as a term of endearment interchangeable with "buddy" or "friend". The reason it is still commonly used but in this way is to deprive the word of it's highly negative meaning and at the same time reassign a positive connotation. Not offensive, in fact you could debate it's quite the opposite. Why do you think it's used so commonly by the people who could be most offended by it? It's all about context. :2c:

MG23,

Nosferatu

So what its like "Fo sho my nigga?" Sorry I'm not at all rascist but more blacks use the word "nigga" than any other race, so its not really derogatory in this sense.

Nosferatu,

MG23

Relaxin'
Nosferatu said:
So what its like "Fo sho my nigga?" Sorry I'm not at all rascist but more blacks use the word "nigga" than any other race, so its not really derogatory in this sense.

Yep and yep. Basically what I was saying.

MG23,

lwien

Nosferatu said:

Depends on the source. Blacks can call each other that and it can be used as a term of endearment, however, if used by someone not of their race, it could very well be considered derogatory. Same thing goes for stereotyping and I believe this would apply to most all ethnic groups.

lwien,

MG23

Relaxin'
lwien said:
Nosferatu said:

Depends on the source. Blacks can call each other that and it can be used as a term of endearment, however, if used by someone not of their race, it could very well be considered derogatory.

Yes, but you must agree that if someone uses the term "nizzle" then it is probably not intended to be derogatory right? I have NEVER heard a racist use the term "nizzle." :lol:

The purpose of this thread was to call someone out for having "nizle" in their user name, and I find it misguided.

MG23,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
lwien said:
Nosferatu said:

Depends on the source. Blacks can call each other that and it can be used as a term of endearment, however, if used by someone not of their race, it could very well be considered derogatory. Same thing goes for stereotyping and I believe this would apply to most all ethnic groups.

And this is the biggest issue I have with this 'unwritten rule'.

Its okay for you, but not for me. When was the last time you saw someone getting beat up for calling another person a cracker or honkey? Everytime I saw those terms used the person using them was usually laughed at.

Turn the tides and thems fightin words.

Fuck that - You want equal opportunity? Then you better be able to take it as well as you can dish it out. :mad:

Sorry... I personally dont use ANY of those terms in any context and I think they are all stupid. I just think that it should work both ways. Sadly it doesnt...

And we have only ourselves to blame for it.

AGBeer,

lepstadder

Lexicon should not be the issue

Intent should

Everyone has it in them to not be an asshole

And everyone has the right to get offended

But words should never incite violence only understanding

Kindof reminds me of the line from "Canadian Bacon" Where john candys character states to his african American friend, "Will you stop it with that white people stuff, you got me lookin' at em funny" LOL

PS, i just saw George Clinton Last week, it was sick, they played maggot brain but not like hazel could

lepstadder,

OO

Technical Skeptical
lepstadder said:
Lexicon should not be the issue

Intent should

Everyone has it in them to not be an asshole

And everyone has the right to get offended

But words should never incite violence only understanding

Kindof reminds me of the line from "Canadian Bacon" Where john candys character states to his african American friend, "Will you stop it with that white people stuff, you got me lookin' at em funny" LOL

PS, i just saw George Clinton Last week, it was sick, they played maggot brain but not like hazel could
i approve of this message.

OO,

MG23

Relaxin'
wunderkind said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:
I have NEVER heard a racist use the term "nizzle." :lol:
...you sure about that?

Not in a derogatory way, no.

In fact, try to say the word "nizzle" in a derogatory way and see if you don't just make yourself laugh.
Nizzle is a word that was invented recently and has -never- been a word of hate.

MG23,

reece

As I said in my second post, it can be used without ill intent. I fully understand that. I've grown up with that. I have close, dear friends who use it as a term of endearment and have called me that name lovingly. I've known white people who use it in the same manner. For some black people, a white person using the word is wrong, no matter the intent. I've never reacted that way when the intent is clearly not racist.

However, I do not use the word unless I am talking about the word or singing a song where the word is in the lyric, etc. I have never, and will never call another person by that word. I understand where the word comes from. I understand that no matter how much you think the power of the word has been taken away, there are folks over at stormfront.org (and the like) that are laughing at us for using it to refer to ourselves. "See, even they know they're n___ers." I haven't used it here because I'm not sure how the mods will react. You have to put "imo" on statements that are clearly opinions so I take no chances.

I also know that some pick up on the slang and start using it without truly understanding what they are saying. Hence my question in the first post.

@MattGtwenty3, have you ever heard the word 'brother' used in a derogatory way? What about the word 'black?'

I have. I have heard both words used when clearly the intent was to say n___er. Just as I've heard racists use n___er and hide behind the "they call each other that, why can't I use it" excuse. Oh yeah, the power of the word has been taken away. :rolleyes:

reece,

lwien

In my opinion, the bottom line is this.

Some would be offended...........some would not be offended. I could care less in trying to validate if someone should or should not be offended by what I say. When I communicate with friends or family, I KNOW what would be considered offensive and what would not be considered offensive. When communicating with strangers, I would have no idea, and would therefore, error on the side of kindness in an effort not to offend, unless of course, it was my intent to do so.

With that said, I know that I have said some things here in this forum that have offended others when it was clearly my intent not to do so, and whenever that has happened, I have been as quick as I can possibly be, to offer up an apology.

To take the tac of, "I'm going to say whatever I want and if anyone is offended by it, it is their problem, not mine", in my opinion, is an extremely self-centered and selfish act, and if that sounds a bit judgmental, so be it.

lwien,

reece

lwien said:
In my opinion, the bottom line is this.

Some would be offended...........some would not be offended. I could care less in trying to validate if someone should or should not be offended by what I say. When I communicate with friends or family, I KNOW what would be considered offensive and what would not be considered offensive. When communicating with strangers, I would have no idea, and would therefore, error on the side of kindness in an effort not to offend, unless of course, it was my intent to do so.

Exactly.

MattGtwenty3

Ending in an "a" or and "er" there is no difference. Enunciation, or lack thereof, has no effect on the word's meaning or the speaker's intent.

reece,
Top Bottom