Shitty people who create cool stuff

Tranquility

Comedians mirror the culture. I think for many comedians, humor comes from a dark place in their psyches. Comedians mine their "frame of reference", or life experiences for humor. Their life experiences can be similar or different to the audience. They get laughs for shock value: using taboo words make people titter.

Louis CK seemed contrite when he fessed up to his crimes. He didn't try to minimize his actions. But everyone has the right to turn him off should he ever return to TV.
I don't want to change this into a discussion on comedy. But, while I liked what was written after the first sentence, I don't know if the first sentence is true. The whole point for many comedians (other than the Bob Hope, Jonny Carson type entertainment) is to bring people to another place from where they are at. Lenny Bruce talked of this a lot and people like George Carlin never changed through the years--even though his political positions expressed better represented society as society changed. (Society moving to the left through his career.) I always thought him funny, but, his quotes would not be used to illustrate points so much if society remained as conservative as it was through much of his career.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
he whole point for many comedians (other than the Bob Hope, Jonny Carson type entertainment) is to bring people to another place

I submit ultimately, it is the desire to be liked by the audience that drives the comedian. Carlin claimed he was "one" of the class clowns looking for a laugh. He was a class clown so that he would be liked by his peers. Where they find the humor depends on the style of the comedian. Prior brought up his years growing up in a brothel. Comedians try to see the absurdities in thought, speech and action. Of course comedians mirror the culture from whence they came. It's finding aspects of the culture that derives the humor.

Then again, I have an unusual perspective:
get

Last edited:
Top Bottom