Sexy sexy dabs & dabbing

GoldenBud

I remembered @invertedisdead & full melt hash when I saw this.
the.squishlist answer what is it:
"
This is the bubblehash sieved and then put into a jar :)
Washed/freeze dried/sieved/put into a jar."

his answer about my hash's pics:
"Hey man, I’m not quite sure what happened there, but you wouldn’t be able to make full melt with that. I’m not sure I would smoke that."

well, I knew it's not full melt, but... the price was like 25$ for a 1gr or so... xD

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
Reactions: CANtalk

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Really interesting stuff here.

I'm still a complete novice. Developing preference for bubble hash rosin. Just started to play with dry sift and pressing.

Couple of questions.

Some good bubble hash looks much like what was posted. This for example:
Ed_Rosenthal_Pure_Pressure_The-History-of-Ice-Water-Hash.jpg

90-103 is the micron size. Bubble hash or dry sift can look pretty much the same, though making fully cleaned up bubble is easier than dry sift. Biggest difference is the ability to process fresh frozen with bubble, and the terp loss that happens when you use water.
Whenever I make bubble, after planing and drying mine never looks like this.

Mine doesn't separate so cleanly and after a few days drying takes on a slight tan hue die to oxidisation.

I'm wondering if this is either bubble that has been freeze dried and sieved or is cleaned dry sift.

But I don't know based on my limited experience hence asking.

Wrt terp loss do you think you get better terp retention with dry sift? I thought/assumed fresh frozen was to get the best terp profile.

I've given up on bubble because I think with rosin, I'm just as happy making half melt dry sift and then pressing it into hash rosin that way. Saves tons of room, is way easier, and allows instant gratification. The only big benefit bubble offers is being able to do large runs with huge amounts of product.
My brief experiments with dry sift have been less successful than bubble although still early days.
Have you the time to briefly say how you do your dry sift. I'm keen to develop my skills.
I currently have/use a simple tumbler at 150 micron and Ive tried processing output through a skunksifter 90 and 45 screens but I wasn't really getting anywhere!

Cheers.
Fascinating.....

tgvp

One day I'll be able to try such a high quality hash 🤤
What does this looks through a microscope, are trics heads visible?

tgvp,
Reactions: CANtalk

GoldenBud

One day I'll be able to try such a high quality hash 🤤
What does this looks through a microscope, are trics heads visible?
absolutely
even my dark bubble hash non full melt under microscope you can catch trics heads

GoldenBud,

Farid

@Chicken No Name Fresh frozen has a different terp profile, not necessarily better, but different. But even with that, some terps will be lost to the water. Dry sift is the only hash I've had that is a close representation to the original flower.

As for dry sift, tumblers are way too aggressive, and will force you to do a lot of cleanup afterwards. I use framed printing screens, I can't remember the exact LPI/micron measurements right now. Then I take very dry bud that has not been handled much at all. It's harvested, some fan leaves removed, but trim left on.

The "first bounce" is the easiest way to get really good sift with no effort. You just drop the bud on the screens from a few feet up, and collect what falls off. After that you can increase your agitation, breaking buds (but not crushing them. This sift will be dirty and need cleaning. I use the glove method (or the DVD method, but the glove is easier) to turn this dirty sift into full melt.

Check out Johnny B on YouTube he's good at showing thus method. Might have to see someone else for the glove method though I'm not sure if Johnny uses it

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Wrt terp loss do you think you get better terp retention with dry sift? I thought/assumed fresh frozen was to get the best terp profile.

Well like flower, ~90% of the terpenes will have evaporated by the time the plant is dry enough to properly sift. But sift is still a “concentrate” so the flavor still rings out good when vaped, as the terpene percentage is higher than in flower form due to the removal of exogenous unvaporizable plant material.

There will be much more terpenoids in the true fresh frozen than dry sift. Need a freeze drier to truly maximize flavor retention though. Some people do opt for a cold tumble with fresh frozen material. From a commercial perspective it seems easier to producer cleaner hash with ice water. I think it’s largely just a market thing, the USA has never really been hasch-crazy. Our big hash revolution is mostly due to dabs and rosin.
I’ve long said that if even mediocre dry sift was more popular I’d probably never buy whole nug flower for vaping.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
why is that? because it requires stirring the ice with water and cannabis very slow? so it makes sure the cholorophyll gets trashed into the holes, and only trichomes stay on the net?

I would guess the preference for consuming whole flower here is largely due to previous prohibition efforts affecting the supply and demand. You need copious amounts of material available to solely make hashish.

None of the traditional cannabis producing countries really consume whole flower at all.

Also consumption method surely plays a considerable role. Joints are super popular here, and whole flower works well in a joint. Traditional hash smokers are more likely to use a chillum or hookah type device. Those aren't popular here, so it just further divides the hash vs flower consumer.

Also frankly dispensary hash is way too expensive to be taken seriously.

A lot of it is also economics. Why would people want to sell their customers hash when they are perfectly content buying whole flower with ~70%+ inactive material. Controversial thought incoming but there's a lot of money to be made by keeping people hooked on flower.

Farid

Hash is most popular in areas which have some connections to producing countries. France's colonial connections to Lebanon, Spain's connections to Morocco, etc. It's my understanding that France was the first European country where hash became mainstream during the Napoleonic era.

Producing countries make hash because it grows naturally in huge, endless fields, but isn't groomed or trained to make big buds. It's also easier and more cost effective to export hash than flower since it takes up way less space.

Then there's the fact that mixing tobacco and weed is more common in Europe and the Middle East, whereas Americans tend to use them separately.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Thanks for the replies.

@Farid I will have a look at the vids you suggested, many thanks!
Your description tallies with my understanding. I need a couple more screens covering the higher mesh size (220 and a 150 perhaps) and get bouncing.
Familiar with the dvd method/static tech.
Glove method had me thinking of last trip to doctors urghhhh....

Cheers @invertedisdead for your thoughts, v interesting as usual.

More experiments required.
I think come September I should have more material to have a proper play.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
That looks like second quality... or worse. I have been around masters of cannabis extraction and sampled premium quality extracts ( from white dry sift to various butters, sticky stuff and crystals) many times- I just don't get the appeal personally- good flower is always preferable to me.

Last edited:
Haze Mister,

GoldenBud

That looks like second quality... or worse. I have been around masters of cannabis extraction and sampled premium quality extracts ( from white dry sift to various butters, sticky stuff and crystals) many times- I just don't get the appeal personally- good flower is always preferable to me.
FYI the squishlist said even frency canoli hash is not full melt and old school hash
frenchy-hash.jpg

his method of squishlist is very new probably

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I meant do you know what is the quartz evaporation device being used there? :)
from the reddit link:
"
Alternate of my favorite dab vid.
Victoria is the first drilled hole autospinner I designed, and it's part of a broader study I'm doing with Victory's logo as the frame.
I don't think I've spoken much about the work with Victory, but it's giving me a much needed outlet to process what's in my head.
There's not an end to the work. It's just a constant reimagine of how it can all come together.
"

CANtalk

Well,

that looks like the best banger I've ever seen! what is it called? I don't want to spend time on Instagram at the moment, LOL
I only know the link. It's a beaut! And sounds awesome.

AFAICT it's a boutique piece :ninja: :clap:

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk,
Top Bottom