Severe Upper Back Pain

ginolicious

I know no one is a doctor here. And we are all stoners. But I’m perplexed. And cannot figure out what’s going on with me.

I have severe upper back pain. Like so terrible. Hurts to stand. Sit walk. Drive. And usually lay down. I went to the ER last night. They did a chest x ray. Blood work. And an ECG as sometimes my chest hurt too. It’s back pain right under the left shoulder blade. Anyways. Everything came back negative. Now I’ve moved onto my family doctor. Is there tests I should be asking for? As anyone been faced with something like this before?

ugotmale

Does it hurt when you turn your head from side to side?

Might be muscle tightness/pull under scapula, have you tried heating pad, soaking in hot/warm tub, having someone massage your neck, upper back, shoulder?

A good book on stretching, by Michael Alter:

These stretches might help, but first warm-up muscles with some form of heat or go for a short walk to raise your body temperature.

ginolicious

No pain when I turn my head. Gonna try those stretches. Heating pad doesn’t really work for me. Was too lazy to take a bath. I wonder if it’s muscle or something. But I didn’t do anything to hurt myself.

ginolicious,
Reactions: shredder

SquirrelMaster

A pinched nerve maybe? My wife had issues with her wrist for years, after many doctors , etc. her chiropractor found it was a pinched nerve in her back that was caused by here hip going out. Go figure. You didn't hurt your back recently did you?

My back issues are usually muscle related so a massage helps for me. When I've been in extreme pain I ended up at my chiropractor. That's about once every couple years.

SquirrelMaster,

ginolicious

I had the back pain since about Friday. And then fell off a ladder onto my car. It was more of a 2 foot drop onto the hood. But the back pain was there prior to the fall. One day i just woke up. It was sore. And keeps getting more sore and more sore. It’s weir.

ginolicious,

SquirrelMaster

I had the back pain since about Friday. And then fell off a ladder onto my car. It was more of a 2 foot drop onto the hood. But the back pain was there prior to the fall. One day i just woke up. It was sore. And keeps getting more sore and more sore. It’s weir.
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully you didn't crack something when you fell. I'd go to a doctor if you can, they might give you an x-ray.

SquirrelMaster,

Nina

So sorry to hear this, since the pain is increasing it sounds as if you should get a diagnosis & if necessary treatment. My first thought is also trapped nerve or similar, do you know of a good physio? For your recovery maybe look into some basic yoga (search youtube 'yoga for back pain' etc)

Nina,

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
The area behind your shoulder blade has quite a few ligaments, I've damaged them before and had the same symptoms. It took a lot of stretching combined with area specific massage using one of those hand held massagers. It took quite a while to get over, it's a tough area to heal.

Relaxed,

DillGaff

I have some experience having someone with a massage chair work on my neck & upper back and then use their thumb under the shoulder blade to work on the "tender area."

The chair helps get you in the optimal position

DillGaff,

ginolicious

Saw my doctor yesterday. No answers. Just got prescribed naproxen. 500mg twice a day.

Today when I was in a long conversation I was losing my breath and getting the pain right back under my chest. Very weird no one can tell me what’s up. This is so bloody strange and is impacting my daily life severely.

ginolicious,

JBone65

What happens when you take a deep breath? How about raising or moving your arm? You might not can tell but would you guess it's a muscular/skeletal problem or possibly an organ further inside? Can your spouse or someone poke around and identify a tender spot or muscle?

JBone65,

ginolicious

Doctor poked around on my chest and and didn’t find anything. Sometimes when I take a deep breath it hurts in the back or under the chest. Raising the arms does not cause any pain at all. Regarding organ inside. I’ve had so much blood work done that t should have come up regarding an organ inside no?

Last edited:
ginolicious,

3 Feet Farms

Sounds to me like a slipped disk, have you discussed this with your doctor?

I had something similar, I needed a cervical spine MRI for diagnosis and then surgery to sort it out.

3 Feet Farms,

shredder

A rash broke out. Chest and back. In the spots have pain. Went to the doctor. I have shingles boys haha.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck man.

One of my good friends is going through a bout now. It was enough to get me in to get a shot.

shredder,
Top Bottom