Scratches in oven...bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarsellusWallace

I just got a Mighty and I've been loving it, but my OCD can't help but notice a bunch of tiny cosmetic scratches on the inside of the oven (stainless steel?). They're not very noticeable, but deep enough to where I can feel them there when I run my finger over/around the oven.

It was either from the cleaning brush or from taking a screen in and out of the oven (most likely).

So my question is: in general, it seems like stainless steel ovens are easily scratched. Would many of these scratches over the course of time negatively affect the performance of a vaporizer?

OF

So my question is: in general, it seems like stainless steel ovens are easily scratched. Would many of these scratches over the course of time negatively affect the performance of a vaporizer?

They should not, even in pretty extreme cases. SS very rapidly oxidizes and therefore seals and protects the exposed metal (the oxide is just clear, unlike common rust, and unlike common rust it doesn't occupy more space so it doesn't 'flake off' like the stuff that eats steel).

There are lots of grades of SS, but the one chosen for this use would be on the soft side so it can be 'drawn' to shape. Metal tools (even other SS which might be harder) can scar it more, stick to wood (for instance) and you shouldn't collect more.

Short answer, no I would not worry......enjoy it instead?

OF

MarsellusWallace

Yeah, that's what I figured; just needed an expert to reaffirm it. :lol:

I was thinking that I might have to do some sort of polishing method to remove them, but if performance isn't affected then I'll just live with them.

Once again @OF you answer one of my questions. Much appreciated.

OF

I was thinking that I might have to do some sort of polishing method to remove them, but if performance isn't affected then I'll just live with them.

Once again @OF you answer one of my questions. Much appreciated.

Yer welcome, glad to help when I can.

Lapping out the bo-bos is always an option (perhaps very fine emery paper strip wrapped around a stick?) but clean up after is a potential additional problem. I'd just try to not add any more and soldier on. You bought it to use and enjoy, right? Get to it........

Regards,

OF

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
FYI @MarsellusWallace there are less abrasive ways to clean the oven of your vaporizers while still feeding your OCD nature.

Look into the Magic Erasers. I've used them to bring my Davinci Ascent's glazed white ceramic oven back from a dull brown hue to a brilliant white luster without scratching the glaze whatsoever. (For hard to reach places, I use a toothpick to wedge the magic eraser into the corners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom