• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Scalia just died...............

lwien

A liberal president now gets to appoint a new supreme court justice but it needs to get Senate approval. I wonder how long the Senate can stonewall this appointment.

"Scalia's death in an election year sets up a titanic confirmation tussle over his successor on the bench. The already challenging task of getting a Democratic president's nominee through a Republican-controlled Senate will made even more difficult as the fight over Scalia's replacement will emerge as a dominant theme of an already wild presidential election. His departure leaves a huge political fight in the offing because this is a court with five Republican appointees (and) four Democratic appointees," CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin said."
-----
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/13/politics/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dies-at-79/index.html

Last edited:

lwien

While I totally disagree with just about every decision that Scalia has ever made, for me, I would never celebrate the death of any US politician or Supreme Court Justice. While I may vehemently disagree with that person, I still have respect for the office that they held. I really try to stay away from that kind of karma.

Your post just made me feel a bit squeemy, steama, as does your post below.

Last edited:

lwien

All things considered, I don't think that there's going to be a nominee for his position until we get a new president which makes this presidential race even more interesting than it already is and considering how old Ruth is, this new prez could signal a paradigm shift for the future of our country, eh? Makes Bernie seem even more enticing, eh?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Obama according to CNN will nominate a new Supreme Court justice - Breaking News.

It's 11 months to wait until a next president.

It's the job of the standing president to nominate a Supreme Court justice.

Last edited:

lwien

Obama according to CNN will nominate a new Supreme Court justice - Breaking News.

It's 11 months to wait until a next president.

It's the job of the standing president to nominate a Supreme Court justice.

Yeah it may be his job but there's no chance in hell that he's going to get his nominee thru the Republican owned Senate. It's just not gonna happen.

lwien,

lwien

lwien,
Reactions: steama

howie105

There is a dance that the parties go through with every court replacement, this rendition is happening while the primary is going on so the band is cranking up the music. I suspect that in the end the slot will get filled and the court will be back to business as usual in fairly short order once all the dancers take their turn around the floor.

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Dumb argument of the day is the is that the American people have the right to select next president and they will appoint Justice as per Mitch McConnell. Does our vote for Obama twice mean anything. President appoints as his job dictates not when folks like his choice. (I sat through 30 years of Scalia, Reagan gave him job and I waited)
The question is person qualified not what will you do, it is what have you done.

gangababa

bd160215-701x526.jpg

gangababa,

CarolKing

Conspiracy theory time.....

They decided not to do an autopsy. Someone probably had him murdered. Probably the democrats. Maybe it was Hilary. When she gets into office she will choose Barack Obama to the Supreme Court.
imrs.php

gaseous_clay

Definitely murder. Because 79 year old overweight men don't just have heart attacks! And if you want to murder a right-wing Supreme Court Justice, you don't do it when he's at home in a routine, you wait until he is at a hunting resort in Texas. Then you leave the room pristine, the bed looking like he had just laid down and died... and place a pillow over his head in some manner that can be taken as if he had it placed over his head (but without struggling, of course as the bed was supposedly quite tidy.

Definitely murder. Do we know where Obama was that night, because I bet he does his own murdering. He's just THAT good! Other than when he's a bumbling idiot of course.

EDIT: One thing I don't think anybody has considered yet: The Republicans had him killed so they could obstruct Obama replacing him until they take office and appoint a replacement who makes Scalia look like Liberace.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Sandra Day O'connor says that Obama should name a candidate for the Supreme Court. If would leave the seat empty for too long if he didn't.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
This is interesting/telling.
http://gawker.com/dow-chemicals-would-rather-pay-out-835-million-than-fa-1761588041
Dow Chemicals Would Rather Pay Out $835 Million Than Face the Supreme Court Without Scalia.

"Dow Chemicals this week settled a billion-dollar lawsuit after determining, essentially, that it had no chance in front of a Supreme Court without Antonin Scalia.

Dow was challenging a 2013 order that required it to pay $1.06 billion as part of an antitrust suit concerning the sale of urethanes. (The company was accused of price fixing with four other companies but refused to admit liability; the other companies settled for a collective $135 million.)

But Dow, which was set to argue before the Supreme Court once the Court had decided a similar case, dropped its appeal today and settled with the plaintiffs in the case for $835 million. What inspired this change of heart? According to Bloomberg, it was the death of Scalia."

Top Bottom