Sativa lovers

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Haha, I love the internet! I found the exact catalogue I was referring to:
They had stuff like "pure indica" and "purple indica" available in the store but weren't listed in the catalogue. And the prices were a little different in the store as well as it was in guilders AND we were on massive amounts of space cakes, cookies and bon-bons, don't forget... so, not a bad memory after all! :razz::clap::tup::smug:

GoldenBud

Are you sure this is 1987?!?! look great for 1987!
whoa87.png

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have some store-bought Blue Dream....it is pretty shit, like most store-bought apparently, I definitely have not been missing anything by only having my own homegrown. I am going to try some Caramel Autos outside this year as a Tassie outdoor growing season is very short, not good for growing outside...autos are a savior in this situation, a couple of % of lower THC is better than a plant full of mold.:2c:
edit. I have only been growing since 1996 so what would I know

GoldenBud

I have some store-bought Blue Dream....it is pretty shit, like most store-bought apparently, I definitely have not been missing anything by only having my own homegrown. I am going to try some Caramel Autos outside this year as a Tassie outdoor growing season is very short, not good for growing outside...autos are a savior in this situation, a couple of % of lower THC is better than a plant full of mold.:2c:
edit. I have only been growing since 1996 so what would I know
I can totally understand man! also if you live closer to the Sea/Ocean it's gonna be harder growing Outdoor..... higher RH...... easier environment for mold to come....

gangababa

From the beginning, some 55 years ago ( in this lifetime), I have preferred the rajasic mindfulness of Sativa over the tamasic stone of body and bone.
I do not grow but do know the gardener is not truly in control, no matter how hard one tries. There is many a slip between sprout and lips.

A story: I was in an ashram where, supposedly strict rules were followed. The only times Guru addressed me were those where I had broken a rule, secretly (I thought).
One time I was high, sitting in group around Guru, who leaned forward to better glare directly at me and said, "The idea Son, is to get out of 'your' mind."

Rajastic is up, woke, active, energetic, jazzy ...
Tamasic is down, slow, dull, sleeping ...

Someone else want to take over here...? I've reached my daily limit.
It’s pointless. So… Back to what is your favorite sativa and why?

“I researched it on the internet” only slightly prepared me to deal with the real world issues that came up growing outdoors from seed in my backyard. Some people are like a backseat driver who doesn’t know when to just STFU.

Jack, TrainWreck, Sour Diesel, Sour Tangie, Durban Poison, Malawi, Strawberry Cough, speak my language.

GoldenBud

“I researched it on the internet” only slightly prepared me to deal with the real world issues that came up growing outdoors from seed in my backyard. Some people are like a backseat driver who doesn’t know when to just STFU.
It's not some gentle subject, it's why people grow Autos Indoor, when they can choose Feminized seeds....
Autos Outdoor I can understand 100%.. Indoor... I mean... avoid Ruderalis=Russia=Away from the Equator line if u can... that's it... no need to be a grower or a selector to debate this stuff man...

About Sativas... I forgot to add a Lebanese sativa... I really liked it back in 2004.... makes you feel great and so happy....

GoldenBud,

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Haha, I love the internet! I found the exact catalogue I was referring to:
They had stuff like "pure indica" and "purple indica" available in the store but weren't listed in the catalogue. And the prices were a little different in the store as well as it was in guilders AND we were on massive amounts of space cakes, cookies and bon-bons, don't forget... so, not a bad memory after all! :razz::clap::tup::smug:

Not quite as old, but I still have my hard copy.....

IMG-20230625-082355.jpg

IMG-20230625-082324.jpg

Memory lane (or what I can remember of it....)

AssistedLiving

Not quite as old, but I still have my hard copy.....

IMG-20230625-082355.jpg

IMG-20230625-082324.jpg

Memory lane (or what I can remember of it....)

that really brings back memories, while in school middle 70's, I helped a friend setup a small grow room in an apartment walk in closet, eventually he moved but started some sort of hidden outdoor grow & would over night oz's sealed in pvc pipe parts every harvest

GoldenBud

Anybody can compare Mexican vs Africa vs Thai Sativa? Closer places to the Equator brought great sativas to our world🌍

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
From the 2016 article:
"CCR: Some users describe the psychoactive effects of Cannabis indica and sativa as being distinctive, even opposite. But are they really? Beyond self-reports from users, is there any hard evidence for pharmacologically different species of Cannabis?

Dr. Russo:
There are biochemically distinct strains of Cannabis, but the sativa/indica distinction as commonly applied in the lay literature is total nonsense and an exercise in futility. One cannot in any way currently guess the biochemical content of a given Cannabis plant based on its height, branching, or leaf morphology. The degree of interbreeding/hybridization is such that only a biochemical assay tells a potential consumer or scientist what is really in the plant. It is essential that future commerce allows complete and accurate cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles to be available.

CCR: Sativa is often described as being uplifting and energetic, whereas indica as being relaxing and calming. Can you speculate on what could be the basis for these perceived differences?

Dr. Russo:
We would all prefer simple nostrums to explain complex systems, but this is futile and even potentially dangerous in the context of a psychoactive drug such as Cannabis. Once again, it is necessary to quantify the biochemical components of a given Cannabis strain and correlate these with the observed effects in real patients. Beyond the increasing number of CBD predominant strains in recent years, almost all Cannabis on the market has been from high-THC strains. The differences in observed effects in Cannabis are then due to their terpenoid content, which is rarely assayed, let alone reported to potential consumers. The sedation of the so-called indica strains is falsely attributed to CBD content when, in fact, CBD is stimulating in low and moderate doses! Rather, sedation in most common Cannabis strains is attributable to their myrcene content, a monoterpene with a strongly sedative couch-lock effect that resembles a narcotic. In contrast, a high limonene content (common to citrus peels) will be uplifting on mood, while the presence of the relatively rare terpene in Cannabis, alpha-pinene, can effectively reduce or eliminate the short-term memory impairment classically induced by THC.2,8

CCR: How do you think one could address the sativa/indica dichotomy in a scientifically sound manner?

Dr. Russo:
Since the taxonomists cannot agree, I would strongly encourage the scientific community, the press, and the public to abandon the sativa/indica nomenclature and rather insist that accurate biochemical assays on cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles be available for Cannabis in both the medical and recreational markets. Scientific accuracy and the public health demand no less than this."

This is good, too:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

What is myrcene and what does this cannabis terpene do?​

Myrcene levels in indica and sativa strains​

“A common claim we hear is that you can tell whether a strain will have “indica” or “sativa” effects by knowing its myrcene levels. It’s often stated that strains with more than 0.5% myrcene by weight will produce “indica” (relaxing) effects, while strains <0.5% myrcene by weight will produce “sativa” (energizing) effects. If this claim was true and reliable, we would expect to see a clear difference in myrcene levels between strains labeled as indica, hybrid, and sativa. Indicas should have mostly >0.5% myrcene by weight, sativas should have mostly <0.5%, and hybrids should be in the middle.

When we use lab data to look at myrcene levels across strain names based on their popular indica, hybrid, and sativa designations, this is generally not what we see.”

@RustyOldNail Yes, I remember reading that on Leafly some time ago. A conclusion could be that the sedative properties of all cultivars of cannabis are due to myrcene. And we know that some “indicas” with greater concentrations of pinene, limonene, and beta-caryophyllene can be somewhat stimulating. Lays to waste the myths about the differences based on narrow leaf or fat leaf. But myrcene can have a sedating efffect:”Results: β-myrcene was associated with statistically significant reductions in speed control and increased errors on a divided attention task“

GoldenBud

"Myrcene
Myrcene, better known as the active sedating principle of hops and lemon grass, is also found in basil, mangos, and its namesake, Myrcia sphaerocarpa, a medicinal shrub from Brazil traditionally used to treat diabetes, diarrhea, dysentery, and hypertension (Ulbricht, 2011). In culinary and perfume use, myrcene’s aroma is earthy, fruity, and clove-like; it is pungent in higher concentrations. Myrcene synergizes the activities of terpenes and other compounds in a variety of ways. One mechanism that would be of particular note in cannabis is its claimed effect on the permeability of cell membranes, particularly the blood–brain barrier (BBB), increasing transport of cannabinoids into the brain; however, perusal of claimed references in the popular literature shows a lack of hard data regarding brain transport. Myrcene has been shown to enhance transdermal absorption (Schmitt et al., 2009). It has a significant analgesic effect, which is blocked by the action of naloxone, an opioid antagonist, suggesting a mechanism of action through the opioid receptor (Rao et al., 1990). However, myrcene’s lack of affinity for opioid receptors points to alpha 2-adrenoceptor–stimulated release of endogenous opiates. In contrast to morphine, no tolerance was observed after repeated dosing in rats (Lorenzetti et al., 1991). At very high doses, myrcene in mice was a sedative comparable to phenobarbital (Gurgel do Vale et al, 2002); the effect was increased by simultaneous administration of citral, a mixture of other terpenes. Al-Omari (2007) demonstrated that myrcene improved glucose tolerance in alloxan diabetic rats comparable to metformin, without an effect on glucose levels in normal rats. Myrcene also showed powerful anti-inflammatory and anticatabolic effects in a human chondrocyte model of osteoarthritis (Rufino et al., 2015). With inflammation underlying numerous diseases, myrcene is the subject of a broad array of current research.
View chapterPurchase book
"

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I'm seeing and hearing a lot about "Piff" (NYC Haze) around here lately, it's basically a cut of Black Haze that originated in Florida and typically has an "energetic" buzz with a high myrcene content... Nice to see growers/patients interested in old school sativa genetics for a change.

Here's someone else's words about Piff:

"You are absolutely correct about piff being the cut of black haze that you remember from the late 90's early 2000's. It's got the super cerebral electric high and it tasted and smelled like metallic haze to me. Some other people describe it as smelling like a church with incense and candles with a basement type funk. It's not uncommon for different people to take the same smell and associate it with different things depending on your experiences. Anyway, that Haze and the purple version of that Haze were called Piff where I'm from in NY. That pheno was sold under various names all along the East Coast, Because my now wife used to get the same bud in North end of Hartford in Connecticut, which was the ghetto. After New York Rappers caught on to the Haze being called "The Piff" in the early to mid 2000's, after the black haze cut was very popular in NYC/NJ/CT and up and down the East coast, everyone in the country, including lots of influential musicians and Rappers started calling their good weed "The Piff", without ever knowing what "Piff" actually was and that it was a particular elite cut and not just whatever good weed was around. This trend fell off after a while and only a few Rappers, like NYC Rappers like the Lox talked about Piff, mostly because they were still actually smoking it. Very shortly after, Sour Diesel and OG Kush burst into the the rotation, and depending on which coast you were on, you got East Coast Sour Diesel, Chemdog, Mass Super Skunk and Piff here on the East Coast and the OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Trainwreck, Romulan and lots more if you were on the west coast...(etc)"

piffcoastfarms_123594078_678339269540179_1386891587852981670_n-jpg.1172388

piffcoastfarms_123951546_856294911846317_1814737046018287631_n-jpg.1172389

1-jpg.97953

1-jpg.98544

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I'm seeing and hearing a lot about "Piff" (NYC Haze) around here lately, it's basically a cut of Black Haze that originated in Florida and typically has an "energetic" buzz with a high myrcene content... Nice to see growers/patients interested in old school sativa genetics for a change.

Here's someone else's words about Piff:

"You are absolutely correct about piff being the cut of black haze that you remember from the late 90's early 2000's. It's got the super cerebral electric high and it tasted and smelled like metallic haze to me. Some other people describe it as smelling like a church with incense and candles with a basement type funk. It's not uncommon for different people to take the same smell and associate it with different things depending on your experiences. Anyway, that Haze and the purple version of that Haze were called Piff where I'm from in NY. That pheno was sold under various names all along the East Coast, Because my now wife used to get the same bud in North end of Hartford in Connecticut, which was the ghetto. After New York Rappers caught on to the Haze being called "The Piff" in the early to mid 2000's, after the black haze cut was very popular in NYC/NJ/CT and up and down the East coast, everyone in the country, including lots of influential musicians and Rappers started calling their good weed "The Piff", without ever knowing what "Piff" actually was and that it was a particular elite cut and not just whatever good weed was around. This trend fell off after a while and only a few Rappers, like NYC Rappers like the Lox talked about Piff, mostly because they were still actually smoking it. Very shortly after, Sour Diesel and OG Kush burst into the the rotation, and depending on which coast you were on, you got East Coast Sour Diesel, Chemdog, Mass Super Skunk and Piff here on the East Coast and the OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Trainwreck, Romulan and lots more if you were on the west coast...(etc)"

piffcoastfarms_123594078_678339269540179_1386891587852981670_n-jpg.1172388

piffcoastfarms_123951546_856294911846317_1814737046018287631_n-jpg.1172389

1-jpg.97953

1-jpg.98544
uhhh i love Sativas, not a lot of trichomes in the flowers, but if the terpenes are alright, it's gonna be an amazing ride........
the cola is so big, higher than the LED....whoa

Robert-in-YEG

Doing a sativa this morning with a Canadian lineage and a French Name.

This one is called Jean Guy

The taste is woody and earthy. I cannot say I like the taste or the smell, but it's not offensive. This gives an energetic high, with loads of energy, without excess anxiety, nervousness, or grumpiness that come with sativa strains. There are definite similarities to White Widow. This is an interesting strain.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG

Today it is Allen Wrench in the Flowermate

Not impressed with this flower so far. Doesn't seem very strong. The taste is OK, but I don't feel anything.

Very disappointed in this weed.

Robert-in-YEG

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
I have to recommend a trip to thailand to every sativa lover (it's legal there for over a year!)
- some of the best lemon sativa i had in my life :)
Been on a small island called Koh Samui, hell a lot of coffe shops even on such a small island - most of them look like in amstedam with a nice glass window etc, but i found one tiny 'shop' with 2 jar presenting tables direcly at the sidewalk wedged in between a fruit shop and a restaurant, i just had to lough out loud (i didn't buy anywhere else) - who needs security on a small island and who cares about youth protection? lol

Top Bottom