• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

S&B Dosing Capsules

noobvaperct

I’m considering getting a Crafty+ and wanted to know the differences between the aluminum and stainless steel dosing caps are? I swear I read somewhere vaping through aluminum isn’t healthy but that could be bogus because it’s the internet. I saw the SS dosing caps on Vgoodiez but he’s all sold out. Is one actually better/healthier than the other?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I’ve only used SB dosing capsules with my p80 and FUCK did I hate them. I was definitely attracted to the convenience factor of caps…

They added so much restriction, I got rid of them and never looked back.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
On OG Crafty and Mighty the entire bowl is aluminum. This has been revised to ceramic coating on (I think both) +'s. Now some folks will worry about the ceramic flaking off instead of the aluminum?

I think S&B is highly safety conscious and my impression is that with heat levels these devices use, aluminum is not being "released" during use. Scratches/abrasions should of course be avoided.
Aluminum caps are by S&B, SS that you may see available are 'after market'.

Some folks use the dosing caps all the time in Crafty or Mighty, I use them a lot for car or outings, etc., they are convenient -- but there are also a couple of ways to reduce your load size without using the caps, if something akin to micro is what you are after. Place an oils pad on top of small load, for example.
In general use, I just fill the bowl, it is more simple.

Packing too tight is what causes more draw restriction, and this will also happen if a normal bowl is packed tight. I am guilty of this a lot, I always want to cram a lot in there!

There are a host of calculated risks that go into using any vaporizer, imo. If you have a general distrust of aluminum, well ,maybe this one is not for you.

As an aside, I am always looking at the new vapes and methods. One that gives me pause is the almost complete acceptance of huge variety of exotic woods, often used as a stem, packed with herb and stuck right in the vapor path. I had a career in woodworking and have seen lots of 'reactions' to different woods.
Yeah, I used to smoke from a wooden pipe, but one I made from local fruitwood, not some x-factor exotic.

btw, S&B sitewide is 20% off for 4/20 sale.

badbee

I’m considering getting a Crafty+ and wanted to know the differences between the aluminum and stainless steel dosing caps are? I swear I read somewhere vaping through aluminum isn’t healthy but that could be bogus because it’s the internet. I saw the SS dosing caps on Vgoodiez but he’s all sold out. Is one actually better/healthier than the other?
The concerns with Aluminum are a link between it and Alzheimer's disease. That information was widely spread but later studies found some of those initial results to be questionable. At this point it's unclear to what extent elemental Aluminum in cookware and other scenarios like vaping should be a concern. You'll just have to decide what you feel comfortable with, there just isn't a definitive scientific answer.

badbee,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I’ve only used SB dosing capsules with my p80 and FUCK did I hate them. I was definitely attracted to the convenience factor of caps…

They added so much restriction, I got rid of them and never looked back.
Not a big fan of them with the p80 either. In fairness to the capsules themselves though, I don't think they were designed with full convection vapes in mind. All the capsules that I am aware of were designed with hybrid vapes in mind, I think? I guess I think TM sells some capsules as well, but they don't seem very popular.

ScyOne

The caps scratches the ceramic, if someone tells you they don't, don't listen to them. (it's really thin so down to the aluminum btw)

Mines already scratched so I just use the caps for convenience.

But If I knew I might of considered not using them at all.

(Think of it like ceramic gold leaf. Its shiny, but like 1 micron layer or something)

Last edited:

ScyOne

If you want my opinion on the stainless or aluminum caps, Stick with aluminum. I was actually debating getting some stainless caps, but if the aluminum ones scratches the ceramic like that, think what stainless would do.

Stainless caps and aluminum bowl, will probably get you way more aluminum dust with the caps scratching the bowl all the time.

Also, most of the scratching happens when resin builds up in the cooling unit and the caps stick to it when you pull the top off, so to reduce the scratching heat the unit up first before removing the cooling unit.

Last edited:

Thunderbelch

I think if aluminium exposure was really such a big deal, it would have been obvious long ago in machinists and factory workers. They get exposed to a lot more aluminium dust than we do from vapes & caps.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I bought my OG Crafty five years ago, the week that the dosing caps first came out. I'm a hiker, biker, snowshoer, xc skier, etc. and live in two wild cold and windy places. I wanted something easy to use and load in those conditions. I haven't been disappointed. I recently got a Crafty +. I always use dosing caps; I have never put loose flower in either vape. #1 lesson as suggested above: Don't over-fill the caps. In fact I put brass screens in the bottom and top to reduce the volume, a technique that also very much reduces the need for cleaning the cooling chamber/mouthpiece.

RE: Aluminum: As far as I know, S-B vapes are the only vapes in the entire world Certified for medical use by the European Union. It is my understanding that the Certified vapes are exactly the same as the regular models, though with more quality control. Given that the EU is even more stringent about health and environmental concerns than the US or Canada, I feel extremely confident about the health and safety of the aluminum bowls, the plastic, and the dosing caps.

My OG Crafty was in my pocket or day pack six or seven days a week in those wild cold windy places. I've broken ribs, dislocated my shoulder, and broke my ankle during this time. To my utter surprise, not one fin is broken. Only damage was due to the vape falling off the table with the glass wpa attached. If you get one, get one of the rubbery waps, like from delta3dstudios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom