rosin question

chris 71

i tried making my own rosin when it first started to catch on a few years ago with the hair straightener and parchment paper . i was really excited to be able to make my own solvent less extract .

but then i gave it up when i started to read about peoples concerns with the silicone contaminating the rosin .
so anyway i see that its still going strong , and tonnes of people are making and enjoying it .

i would like to try it again but im wondering were these worries about the silicone coming off the parchment found to be un founded ? or is there a certain way to make it to avoid this , is it really safe ? and not something to worry about ? can someone let me know the scoop , thanks ....

chris 71

crickets ..... lol
anybody ?
i know there are lots of rosin people here whats your take on this ?

chris 71,

Tranquility

I believe the problem is that terpenes and silicone don't mix well in that the silicone degrades when it comes into contact with them. Parchment paper's magic is the silicone coating. The fear is some result of the degradation is not healthy at normal temps and changes to worse at vaping temperatures.

Your mileage may vary.

Some use PTFE to squish.

https://terpproof.com/products/ptfe-4-x-4-squares?variant=382676959259

chris 71

thanks oldnewb , ya thats about what i could find .
here is a video on how parchment paper is made . says in video that it can handle temps up to 1500 degrees .

i guess apart from the terpenes dissolving it off the paper . which i suppose would take some contact time . the only other thing would be being careful not to scrap any of it off . or damaging it . i wonder though about the adding of heat and pressure and ware on the paper .
i know the rosin kind of squirts or oozes out of the bud so maybe its not right on the part of the paper that is under the pressure . but still it kind of gives me concern . so i was wondering how or why it wasnt much of a concern to those that are using this method . it seems there are tons of people using it

Stay away from the white parchment paper as it may contain dioxin which can leach into your product. Use the unbleached "brown" paper and you should be fine. Pressing happens at around 200 degrees F and for so short a period of time it should not be of concern.

Pressisbest,

Oil Sheik

If you are concerned with health issues the opt to buy the more expensive PTFE teflon mat to squish
with. Plus its reusable unlike most parchment.

You can get it in clear or white as well as a brownish color , in rolls or pre cut.
I got mine on Amazon in 16" x 24" (6 pack) and cut to desired pieces.
This stuff can be ordered direct from China where its made , but you buy in bulk and is pricey
unless you plan to resell.

Hope this helps.

mc

If you are concerned with health issues the opt to buy the more expensive PTFE teflon mat to squish
with. Plus its reusable unlike most parchment.

You can get it in clear or white as well as a brownish color , in rolls or pre cut.
I got mine on Amazon in 16" x 24" (6 pack) and cut to desired pieces.
This stuff can be ordered direct from China where its made , but you buy in bulk and is pricey
unless you plan to resell.

Hope this helps.
You have a solid link for some china PTFE? I am looking for good bulk connections.

mc,

Oil Sheik

Oil Sheik,
Reactions: mc

JRR22611

This is a good convo. I've made a lot of rosin and I understand parchment is fairly temperature resistant, people say the terpene will cause leaching (I disagree), but by far the biggest stress on the parchment is from the pressure.
I've been using a chlorine/ bleach free paper but the silicone getting in my oil concerns me.
Has anyone pressed with ptfe sheets? the clear stuff?

mc

mc,

miguelovic

Terpenes will leach into parchment. Storing at colder temperature slows this down. Not all rosin will leach, stable budder the least, but I generally use ptfe to store high terpene types that will not be consumed quickly.

From my own research, parchment paper is bleached with peroxide, not chlorine. I would welcome anyone to do similar and post the result.

As for silicone transfer. Again, all I have found and read (presented as "proof" of contamination) indicates a swelling of the silicone, not dissolving.

Now we have Archive Seeds selling nylon hash drying screens to avoid "contamination", but no one has bothered to get anything tested.

The "gluten sensitive" mob mentality.

PTFE (the OiSlick variety) is a pain in the ass to work with. Perhaps the thicker sheets one can find are easier to use.

I have their FEP product they claim can be used to press with but the sheets are far too small for my plates. For packaging it doesn't take a fold well and is a bit picky to work with.

Last edited:

mc

I've posted pictures in the past of the older oil slick containers leaching dye into my concentrates. So it's a very possible issue even with the newer platinum cured jars.

miguelovic

Well that's gross.

But points more towards the dye, no?

I will gladly (begrudgingly) change material but need something with meat on it to justify the cost.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I press on parchment then transfer straight into a biophotonic glass jar. Don't really have to worry about losing anything to glass since I can continually keep re-using the jar, unlike when you get extracts from dispensaries.

mc

Well that's gross.

But points more towards the dye, no?

I will gladly (begrudgingly) change material but need something with meat on it to justify the cost.

Yes for sure, but they are all colored. I have some "clear" silicone jars but I'm not sure what else could be in there to leach out.

For the record I do keep crumble in silicon jars, wax-to-sauce in glass jars and glassy stuff in parchment. I also press on parchment so I'm not super worried about it either. I have not seen any color leeching in platinum cured jars yet.

mixchu69

i had that experience with silicone jars and shatter.....if i place a piece of shatter in a silicone container, the top of the shatter looks fine, but found the bottom to have a thin white layer...so I stopped using those silicone containers....i think i was using Nogoo or Oil Slick

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Nice thread. Actually i have inspected parchment paper with microscope ,after removing concentrate off the film ,it was ripped in places,no doubt it ended on my concentrate. And for the record i have not ever messed with rosin it was just some QWET stored there.. As much as i want to try rosin... i can never trust silicon paper for its durability no matter how thick it is.. I dont know about PTFE, i have read bad things about teflon,it would be even nastier than silicone if anyone overtorches his dabs.
Arent there any metal alternatives ?

Last edited:

miguelovic

Believe the health concerns around teflon are from overheating.

Ebottles.com is selling a patented glass jar lined with teflon. Bit stiff for a minimum order.

miguelovic,
Unbleached parchment paper, like the kind I'm using, is good for 350 degrees F. I press at 180 degrees.

Using the unbleached paper eliminates the chemicals used to "whiten" the bleached paper. Chemicals like dioxin, for instance.

I also have a microscope and I see no paper being removed after pressing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348693

Pressisbest,

miguelovic

Some of ya'll need to look up how any paper is made, whether bleached with peroxide or chlorine.

Buckets of chemicals, that's how.

Below and above the melt point of dioxin (550+F), one could speculate.

Abysmal Vapor

Unbleached parchment paper, like the kind I'm using, is good for 350 degrees F. I press at 180 degrees.

Using the unbleached paper eliminates the chemicals used to "whiten" the bleached paper. Chemicals like dioxin, for instance.

I also have a microscope and I see no paper being removed after pressing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348693
Keeping the temps low is one thing. But there are pieces and bits of silicon film which are torn due to mechanical damage,you can check that with a simple microscope.Dabbing that over 500F can be a health risk.Another thing is that this paper might be heat resistant but for sure isnt created to withstand 10s of tons of pressure..
Edited, Sry i am too baked. I see taht you mention that you have an microscope ,maybe your parchment i superior at what level are you watching,i can see rips at 50x .

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Keeping the temps low is one thing. But there are pieces and bits of silicon film which are torn due to mechanical damage,you can check that with a simple microscope.Dabbing that over 500F can be a health risk.Another thing is that this paper might be heat resistant but for sure isnt created to withstand 10s of tons of pressure..

You only need about 1000-1500 PSI for extraction though. The capabilities of the press vs the pressure actually used are pretty far off.

Abysmal Vapor

And how about using stainless steel foil ,1mm for example ? I know it might be a mess to collect with traditional vertical presses ,but with devices like the Slug 33 it can be folded to leak into a channel very easily. LINK

mc

if you're going to do that you might as well just press on the plates and put parchements around the outside of the plates to catch run off. Then use a rubber spatula to collect off the plates. No parchment necessary.

mc,

chris 71

i think i would rather just try making dry sift or bubble . i made bubble before but it doesnt seem to be worth it with buds . rosin seems like a great option because of the yields ,but i think i would just be too worried about smoking silicone

Top Bottom