Rig for wax/shatter with a $200 budget?

Robert-in-YEG

When I jumped to vaping, I briefly toyed with using shatter in a Yocan Regen. Why? When I bought the shatter, the store suggested the Yocan. For a cheap unit, it does the job, the parts are inexpensive and available, and for starting out, it was OK. I eventually went all in on dry herb vaping, but now I am trying shatter again.

I'm intrigued by the Puffco Peak, the Xmax Qomo, Pulsar RoK, and a few others; these are trending more expensive than dry herb vapes.

For those who have an e-rig of sorts, was it a good investment?

For those who have used a Yocan Regen as well as something like a Puffco Peak are there any huge difference in psychoactive effects?

For those who have more experience than me, is there any cure for VAS? Is it normal to see a vape and think "I need one of those", even when you really don't?

Robert-in-YEG

"Cannabis isn't addictive. Buying vapes is addictive"
~ Unknown

Texus

If you are okay with not-an-e-rig, the RiO is my number one and number two pick for a budget all-in-one setup.
another vote for rio above all else.

But also love the Qomo. Why aren't people going more nuts about its pocket dabs? Now they even have a quartz bowl.

Or other way I'd go is iSpire Wand. Ability to use with Dynavaps adds to the awesomeness. Fits in a pocket as well.

Boreus

I don't think I've used the Regan, but similar products/models, I'd say it's a pretty big difference.
If you're looking for something small the Qomo is the way to go (though I have yet to find the quartz for it.) But I can't say enough good things about my source versa, that would actually be my recommendation if you're not looking pocket size.

Rio people, what's that difference between that and just using a torch and banger, any? I keep hearing they're great but I imagine it's the same experience.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Rio people, what's that difference between that and just using a torch and banger, any? I keep hearing they're great but I imagine it's the same experience.
Form factor is one thing, it is so easy with this setup to manage caps/torch/glass in a real simple setup that is great for home and the ultimate travel rig (it literally travels with water filled, ready to go).

The glass volume/shape/percs also shine for those chasing flavor, minimal diffusion with plenty of cooling.

You can recreate the type of hit with another rig, but the form factor it tough to beat and as a travel rig, I'd argue there is NONE better. You will never want to fuck with a shitty atomizer or pen ever again....

Texus

I don't think I've used the Regan, but similar products/models, I'd say it's a pretty big difference.
If you're looking for something small the Qomo is the way to go (though I have yet to find the quartz for it.) But I can't say enough good things about my source versa, that would actually be my recommendation if you're not looking pocket size.

I gotta disagree on the Versa, for one the atomizers are a pain in the ass to deal with, and the quality of their products has been sub-par. RBR I got is possibly the lowest quality piece of glass in my collection. And atomizer and other parts were always only itemittently in stock. Owner Randall is a controversial one too. He has is followers, but a lot of folks are not fans or feel burned by him for one reason or another. Lots of problems with their induction heaters too. To my mind, quality control isn't there and you'd be better off looking elsewhere. And cettainly don't pay full price. Instead of lowering his prices, it is a non-stop, incessant string of 20-30%+ off sales. Stay away or be sure to really stock up on atomizers and spare parts when they are in stock....

florduh

I don't have a suggestion on e-rigs. I've tried a few and found them comparable. I like the form factor of temp controlled wax pens, but they're more trouble than they're worth for the casual concentrate consumer.

I do have a suggestion on concentrate selection though: move on from shatter. See if you can source "Live" resin or rosin. It usually comes in sauce, batter, or diamond forms. You'll get effects way closer to flower.

Petetbay

Xvape Vista Mini 2, can be found on sale around $150CDN, very simple, trouble free. I prefer the Vista Mini w/Mini2 coil, but hard to find, even less $.

Last edited:

Robert-in-YEG

I'm not interested in anything a torch, at this time. For now I want something electronic.

I really like the Puffco Peak, but it is a bit more than I want to spend, and it isn't very portable. My wife is going to ask "what the hell is this?". Something discreet is always nice.

Robert-in-YEG

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Robert-in-YEG,

Petetbay

I really like the Puffco Peak, but it is a bit more than I want to spend, and it isn't very portable.
Peak is good BF and Boxing Day you might find it for close to $200. There aren’t really any good on the go rigs. You want portable the Qomo when you can get the new crystal coil, that’s ultra portable and not bad. Really a pad in a herb vape is the simplest for on the go dabs. There is also 510 stuff that get you there.

Boreus

I was using a Yocan Evolve and Cerum way back when, they were ok but plenty of room for improvement.

So the past 6 months or so I fell into checking out e-rigs, my 2 cents from looking around:

Puffco's - Too Expensive
Dr Dabber - Too Expensive
DTV4 or 5 - High Praise but not quite what I was looking for
Rio - High Praise, but having a banger and torch setup already, I didn't see a difference.
Pulsar Rok - Gets hot, a pain to clean, needs cleaning often.
Dablamp - I personally don't like the glass setup, it seems easy to break.
Dabcool - Zero good reviews, cheap quality.
Sic - Cheap quality.
Ispire Wand - I'm not crazy about their banger setup with the induction. I'm still sort of tempted though..
Lookah Unicorn - I couldn't find enough one way or the other about this one.
Kandypens Oura - Kandypens has a bad rep but the atomizer has a lifetime warranty and it seems to work really well when it works.
Focus V Carta - Basically seems like a not-as-good core (below.)
Crossing Core - This I was going to buy but I couldn't find any for sale. I plan on buying the 2.0 when it comes out.

Purchases I made:
Lookah Q7 - I wanted some sort of enail setup so I could use my current glass. This thing is pretty great, I only have 2 complaints. The design has an overhang so there's 1 piece I have that I can't use this with unless I drop a downstem in or something to give it more height. The other is the atomizer/bucket is built into the body, so far it hasn't been an issue at all, this seems to heat the base and sides and I don't have scorches or anything but you definitely can't replace that part.
Xmax Qomo - Can't beat the prize. Pocket size, even with water in it. The ceramic atomizer isn't that great, which is pretty standard. There's a quarts one somewhere but I haven't found one to buy yet. The bubbler is ok, I found it works best if you overfill it and use the silicone mouthpiece to act like a splash guard.
Xvape Vista Mini 2 - I like the Vista but it's not my favorite. I think my biggest complaint is the bubbler, it's very meh.
Source Versa - Came in about the same time as my Vista and I've definitely been using the Versa more. I haven't found one thing I dislike about it. As someone mentioned they also don't have a great rep, but I believe I saw they were sold at some point so I'm not sure if that's old or if I've been lucky so far.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I was using a Yocan Evolve and Cerum way back when, they were ok but plenty of room for improvement.

So the past 6 months or so I fell into checking out e-rigs, my 2 cents from looking around:

Puffco's - Too Expensive
Rio - High Praise, but having a banger and torch setup already, I didn't see a difference.
Sic - Cheap quality.
Ispire Wand - I'm not crazy about their banger setup with the induction. I'm still sort of tempted though..
Kandypens Oura - Kandypens has a bad rep but the atomizer has a lifetime warranty and it seems to work really well when it works.
Crossing Core - This I was going to buy but I couldn't find any for sale. I plan on buying the 2.0 when it comes out.

Purchases I made:
Lookah Q7 - I wanted some sort of enail setup so I could use my current glass. This thing is pretty great, I only have 2 complaints. The design has an overhang so there's 1 piece I have that I can't use this with unless I drop a downstem in or something to give it more height. The other is the atomizer/bucket is built into the body, so far it hasn't been an issue at all, this seems to heat the base and sides and I don't have scorches or anything but you definitely can't replace that part.
Xmax Qomo - Can't beat the prize. Pocket size, even with water in it. The ceramic atomizer isn't that great, which is pretty standard. There's a quarts one somewhere but I haven't found one to buy yet. The bubbler is ok, I found it works best if you overfill it and use the silicone mouthpiece to act like a splash guard.
Xvape Vista Mini 2 - I like the Vista but it's not my favorite. I think my biggest complaint is the bubbler, it's very meh.
Source Versa - Came in about the same time as my Vista and I've definitely been using the Versa more. I haven't found one thing I dislike about it. As someone mentioned they also don't have a great rep, but I believe I saw they were sold at some point so I'm not sure if that's old or if I've been lucky so far.

Nice comprehensive write-up, ispire daab could be a nice new one to watch, I think sourcemore was giving a deal bundled with spare glass too... Also FYI the original core eRig can be found on DHgate, but now you have to buy five at a time... We were trying to do a group buy in the cheap glass thread, and the Core Hyperion thread, I think we were just one person away from being able to...

Robert-in-YEG

Puffco's - Too Expensive
Sic - Cheap quality.

Purchases I made:
Thank you... this is great!!

Robert-in-YEG

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."
- Henry David Thoreau

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I use my Core everyday and love it. I'm on board when DT comes out with the Core 2. I have the new DTV5 heater on it now and it's a winner. HVT has the regular Core in stock. https://humboldtvapetech.com/hyperion/

The Qomo might become worthwhile to me when they start selling them with the quartz cups, and places like PIU start carrying replacement cups.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Shit Snacks
Top Bottom