• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

refilling 510 carts

shredder

Is anyone refilling carts? im interested in trying to refill 510 carts with homemade winterized feco and terpenes and looking for advice as to methods and where to buy empty carts. Plus how to mix terpenes and at what amount. Basically everything, lol. I did watch a few you tube vids and got some conflicting advice.

I tried logistics farm to order carts but a $25 order would cost me $25 in bank transfer fees and I don't know a thing about bitcoin, or cash app, their only choices to pay.

I did order and get some empty carts from amazon, but I did not care for the push tops, and prefer a screw top mouth piece. And I did get their glass syringe and blunt tips.

Clapped_r6

I've had SPRK (both steel and ceramic) and Verified brand. Both worked really good, the Verified IMHO is slightly better overall.
Both worked with some homemade thick wax / disty mixes
I've never tried CCELL bit have heard good things usually.

shredder

I've had SPRK (both steel and ceramic) and Verified brand. Both worked really good, the Verified IMHO is slightly better overall.
Both worked with some homemade thick wax / disty mixes
I've never tried CCELL bit have heard good things usually.

Where did you purchase your empty carts?

shredder,
Reactions: Bologna

shredder

So today I re-filled two .5 ml carts that were full when purchased from the local dispensary.

I used 1ml of my winterized feco and 7 drops of a zkittles organic terpene blend.

I only waited 20 minutes before trying since the carts weren't completely empty, I figured I was safe.

At 2.5 volts, on my b smart battery, I got nothing, at 3 volts I got a very terpy but a no vapor hit, finally at 3.5v I got vapor. But after a couple pretty much all terpene hits my taste buds were overwhelmed, I think it tasted good, my wife liked it, lol.

So far so good, time will tell if it will be good until empty. And I did order some cheap carts to try, but I'll most likely keep buying from the dispensary because of how little I go through.

shredder,
Reactions: Bologna

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
So today I re-filled two .5 ml carts that were full when purchased from the local dispensary.

I used 1ml of my winterized feco and 7 drops of a zkittles organic terpene blend.

I only waited 20 minutes before trying since the carts weren't completely empty, I figured I was safe.

At 2.5 volts, on my b smart battery, I got nothing, at 3 volts I got a very terpy but a no vapor hit, finally at 3.5v I got vapor. But after a couple pretty much all terpene hits my taste buds were overwhelmed, I think it tasted good, my wife liked it, lol.

So far so good, time will tell if it will be good until empty. And I did order some cheap carts to try, but I'll most likely keep buying from the dispensary because of how little I go through.

I’ve only filled carts with thick “dispensary” distillate, but the online advice, especially with the newer type CERAMIC heaters, most wrapped in cotton, should sit OVERNIGHT, so the oil can soak in, or risk burning the cotton, and that BURNT taste doesn’t go away. Now 24 hours, or overnight may be on the long conservative side, but it’s obviously a lot longer then the 15 minute wait when filling a ECig tank. Most distillate oil, is super thick, so it definitely takes longer to soak into the atomizer. If you burnt the cotton, you would taste it, guess you were lucky. I ran a cart down, below the four inlet holes, didn’t know, got the burnt cotton blast, then knew, tossed in garbage. If the cart were full of oil, it would be a pain to transfer to a new empty cart, as that cart was TOASTED.

PHOTO inside of an “all” ceramic cart:

EC365DA0-BB0D-47D2-8B31-49F7CBDEA539.jpeg

shredder

So ive now filled two carts with decarbed hash rosin. To my surprise the rosin seems to work better than rso. It becomes thinner after decarbing, at least this batch did, and it flows better and still has some terpenes so you need to supplement a lot less terpenes before filling carts.

Not sure about long term, it will take me a while to test at my consumption rates. I know the winterized rso/feco carts do clog before they warm up, so far that hasn't happened with the rosin carts. I think I like the effects better too, the rosin carts seem more full spectrum.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
5456-B1-D7-598-E-42-AA-BBB6-BC488-A1-D3-DF3.jpg

Filled this one last night. It’s just low temperature decarbed BHO. I’ve already refilled this one a few times so maybe a little risky, but I don’t have any freshies on hand at the moment, and wanted to give it a try after seeing this thread pop up, as it’s been a few years since I messed with making my own pen oil.

shredder

I'm back to the drawing board.

My first carts (hash rosin and rso) probably had too much terpenes. I was getting a tingle on the back of my tongue. Like an alcohol bite. They did work good though, but the tingle would build up and I didn't like it. So I emptied all but my last filled of my home filled carts and will use the oil for edibles.

I used 7 drops of terpenes per 1 ml of canna oil, then 5 drops, then 3. The last carts were haze rosin pressed with 25 micron bags at 190F, so some fairly clean rosin. At 3 drops of terpenes (Skittles) per ml and after 24 hours I need to use 3.5 volts to get vapor and it doesn't have any terpene taste. I'll give them another 24 hours, but im not hopeful.

While I research some more ive ordered a different brand of terpenes and some new better carts. I have not given up yet, but I am a little disappointed at this point. I guess if I can't equal or better a dispensary cheap distillate cart there's no point in making my own.

arb

Semi shaved ape

My first carts (hash rosin and rso) probably had too much terpenes. I was getting a tingle on the back of my tongue. Like an alcohol bite. They did work good though, but the tingle would build up and I didn't like it. So I emptied all but my last filled of my home filled carts and will use the oil for edibles.

I used 7 drops of terpenes per 1 ml of canna oil, then 5 drops, then 3. The last carts were haze rosin pressed with 25 micron bags at 190F, so some fairly clean rosin. At 3 drops of terpenes (Skittles) per ml and after 24 hours I need to use 3.5 volts to get vapor and it doesn't have any terpene taste. I'll give them another 24 hours, but im not hopeful.

While I research some more ive ordered a different brand of terpenes and some new better carts. I have not given up yet, but I am a little disappointed at this point. I guess if I can't equal or better a dispensary cheap distillate cart there's no point in making my own.
I am semi confused about adding terpenes to pressed rosin,is that to thin it?
Also have you tried it without them?

shredder

I am semi confused about adding terpenes to pressed rosin,is that to thin it?
Also have you tried it without them?

Yes, the rosin was decarbed first then gently heated and terpenes added to flavor and thin the rosin. After filling a cart you set it down for 24 hours to let the flavors meld.

I'm new to this and I have a lot to learn. You tube videos make it seem simple, and it is, but you can't taste the final product. At first I thought my carts tasted great, but after a while my tongue would tingle like after a high alcohol shot. Something different from the dispensary carts I've tried.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

For rosin pens you want to use the very best grade of hash or it will have too much gunk. Anything lower grade than 73-90u bubble will probably be very difficult to work properly. With the right material you won't need to add any terpenes. 3.5v sounds pretty high, authentic Jupiter Research CCell is what I like.
Yes it will be challenging to make a better cart at home then you can buy, especially rosin. They can be made, but it's definitely the hardest to do. That's why I prefer to dab solventless and go for live resin for carts. For homogenizing terpenes you'd ideally use a magnetic stirrer, though I prefer to just use the terpenes in the extract. I do a much slower decarb for pens than edibles.

shredder

For rosin pens you want to use the very best grade of hash or it will have too much gunk. Anything lower grade than 73-90u bubble will probably be very difficult to work properly. With the right material you won't need to add any terpenes. 3.5v sounds pretty high, authentic Jupiter Research CCell is what I like.
Yes it will be challenging to make a better cart at home then you can buy, especially rosin. They can be made, but it's definitely the hardest to do. That's why I prefer to dab solventless and go for live resin for carts. For homogenizing terpenes you'd ideally use a magnetic stirrer, though I prefer to just use the terpenes in the extract. I do a much slower decarb for pens than edibles.

I've been playing around again filling cartridges with better quality carts and different terpenes. On the current cart that I am using now, I filled with super silver haze rosin filtered with 25 micron bags, and 2 drops per mg of blue dream terpenes. I let it sit 2 days before trying, and have something I actually enjoy as much as most of the dispensary carts ive tried. The terpenes seem about right and it hits good at 2.5-3V.

Next up I have a feco cart with one drop of sativa terpenes per one mg of feco. It's a little thinner than the rosin so im just using one drop of terpenes. I'll try it tomorrow

shredder

Apologies for the double post. I just wanted to follow up my previous post.

The feco cart is ready and I tried it today. It hits good at 2.5-3v using a sparks ceramic 1 gram cart.

I was surprised to learn it tastes to me like vaping herb more than a concentrate. Just a hint of terpenes, and not a ton of taste, but a nice thick vapor.

At this point I'm not sure if I will fill my next cart the same (one drop of terpenes per mg of concentrate) or use 1.5 or 2 drops per mg.

One thing I've learned is that even my rosin cart is stronger in effects than 85% dispensary carts. That brings up some questions. I suspect the dispensary carts aren't labeled correctly.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
For lack of a better place (with activity on the subject), I finally grabbed a mini-battery with magnetic ring adapters. I went with this version of the rebrand on sale a few weeks ago. The only thing it really lacks is usb-c:

I like it, and the rings are great if you have a few varieties in the rotation... hard to think of anything more discreet than this design. No idea about the cart it comes with, but maybe I'll squirt something in there someday..

RustyOldNail

For lack of a better place (with activity on the subject), I finally grabbed a mini-battery with magnetic ring adapters. I went with this version of the rebrand on sale a few weeks ago. The only thing it really lacks is usb-c:

I like it, and the rings are great if you have a few varieties in the rotation... hard to think of anything more discreet than this design. No idea about the cart it comes with, but maybe I'll squirt something in there someday..

Just ordered one of these, as the PLUS version has a low setting of 2.8 volts.

RustyOldNail

Awesome! I'll look forward to your review as I don't use it very often... only usually when needing supreme stealth or driven by utmost laziness...:smug::peace:

Being a sucker for Miniaturization, and only $20, why not. Not sure how an open, magnetic cart is going to stay attached in a pocket.....

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Being a sucker for Miniaturization, and only $20, why not. Not sure how an open, magnetic cart is going to stay attached in a pocket.....
The magnets are very strong (rare earth?) but I'm not sure you'd want to leave it attached in something like pants pockets with other stuff in it anyway... a shirt breast pocket should be fine attached, you won't even know it's in there unless maybe you're running one of these (2.2 gm 'Heavy Hitters"):
1626138521436.jpeg

RustyOldNail

Well, received the tiny NANO+ (plus is latest version). These like most, are Chinese products that can be bought in large lots, probably less then $5/each. You can have your brand printed on it. It has a rubberized black finish, didn’t find other color choices. The button is the only moving part, and is cheap and feels mushy, and might be the first thing to fail, but working so for.

The one I bought was from the hippiepipe website (see link below), for $20. I’ve seen the identical rebranded device selling for $39.00.

This is the latest “+” version, and now has 4 voltage settings.

The device has an internal LIPO rated for 500mAh, but my tests results were 480mAh, which is very close. Charge current is approximately .4 amps.

The lowest setting would be the highest setting on my PKCT-2 battery. I’ve only had one brand cart that was thick enough to require the two highest settings. You don’t get the low 2.0 volt settings as found on the YOCAN Pro & Twist, or PKCT-2. There is a preheat function (don’t know the low voltage). 10 second draw cutoff.

From what I understand, the previous version had 3 voltage settings, and was a screw-in 510 thread only. This newer model, is magnet ONLY, using one of the two identical included adapters.

I’m still not 100% sure how all my tiny cartridge batteries regulate the voltage. You can’t expect to get 4.2 volts continuously without an onboard BOOST converter. These devices aren’t “unregulated”, like a mechanical mode, but I’ve noticed the output much lower as the battery nears empty. NO low battery warning on this one, will flash RED LIGHT 15 times when battery needs to recharge.

USAGE:

While the magnet only connection is good for a fast cart swap, as well as removing quick and easy for storage, there are some drawbacks. You have to be careful when holding to fire the device, as pressing anywhere on the EXPOSED cart, will cause it to TILT, and not make the electrical connection. The cart does not fall out, as the adapter is deep enough in the device, and the magnet is good. A screw in 510, would not have this issue, but a glass cart could crack in your pocket. Once AWARE that you avoid touching the cart when vaping, you can actually look down and see a piece of the LED light while vaping, just don’t cover the entire button. You can then see the 10 second cutoff, with FLASHING LED’s.

It is the smallest cart battery I’ve seen so far, and it’s IMPRESSIVE they packed in close to 500mAh of-runtime. I’ll buy another one, as it’s so small, it will eventually be lost....

shredder

Well, received the tiny NANO+ (plus is latest version). These like most, are Chinese products that can be bought in large lots, probably less then $5/each. You can have your brand printed on it. It has a rubberized black finish, didn’t find other color choices. The button is the only moving part, and is cheap and feels mushy, and might be the first thing to fail, but working so for.

The one I bought was from the hippiepipe website (see link below), for $20. I’ve seen the identical rebranded device selling for $39.00.

This is the latest “+” version, and now has 4 voltage settings.

The device has an internal LIPO rated for 500mAh, but my tests results were 480mAh, which is very close. Charge current is approximately .4 amps.

The lowest setting would be the highest setting on my PKCT-2 battery. I’ve only had one brand cart that was thick enough to require the two highest settings. You don’t get the low 2.0 volt settings as found on the YOCAN Pro & Twist, or PKCT-2. There is a preheat function (don’t know the low voltage). 10 second draw cutoff.

From what I understand, the previous version had 3 voltage settings, and was a screw-in 510 thread only. This newer model, is magnet ONLY, using one of the two identical included adapters.

I’m still not 100% sure how all my tiny cartridge batteries regulate the voltage. You can’t expect to get 4.2 volts continuously without an onboard BOOST converter. These devices aren’t “unregulated”, like a mechanical mode, but I’ve noticed the output much lower as the battery nears empty. NO low battery warning on this one, will flash RED LIGHT 15 times when battery needs to recharge.

USAGE:

While the magnet only connection is good for a fast cart swap, as well as removing quick and easy for storage, there are some drawbacks. You have to be careful when holding to fire the device, as pressing anywhere on the EXPOSED cart, will cause it to TILT, and not make the electrical connection. The cart does not fall out, as the adapter is deep enough in the device, and the magnet is good. A screw in 510, would not have this issue, but a glass cart could crack in your pocket. Once AWARE that you avoid touching the cart when vaping, you can actually look down and see a piece of the LED light while vaping, just don’t cover the entire button. You can then see the 10 second cutoff, with FLASHING LED’s.

It is the smallest cart battery I’ve seen so far, and it’s IMPRESSIVE they packed in close to 500mAh of-runtime. I’ll buy another one, as it’s so small, it will eventually be lost....

Nice report. It's amazing how small these things are. I'm using 2 yocan pro's and 2 yocan b smart batteries for carts.

I ventured into the world of pod vapes last week. I bought a maxx brand vape ($30) that works for terpene tanks, a cart/pod company that supplies local dispensaries. It is thin and flat, like the pod itself, about 4 inches long, and hits without holding a button down and has 3 heat settings. There is a button for turning it off or on and changing heat settings or pre heating. A nice little vape but it's disappointing that there is not a universal standard for pods, so every brand of pods require different vapes.

Also picked up a lanyard that will hold a pen like my b smart batteries upright and around my neck. My wife suggested I put my name and address on it too, (in case I forget?) lol.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
"Cold Cured Full Spectrum Hash Rosin" from ME...:love::
E42235AF-A782-4A3B-9FBD-1A3015C7BAD0.jpeg
Super tasty and strong... maybe the best ones yet..!? Again, no idea about the ceramic cart... tho they seem pretty nice... and they weren't very cheap by Maine standards either, for a .5gm cart... Hitting it by just running the auto pre-heat cycle on the Nano+ works nicely, as well... Thanks for the thought, @RustyOldNail...! :tup:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Fantastic!
I’d sell the whole farm for a container of hash carts! Good looking hardware too with the wide inlet slits.
Ha, yeah, I mean they weren't like Taxachusetts crazy at $45 ea ($40 ea for 5+), but they're kinda too good, if you know what I mean... too tolerance destroying-ly easy... even after all these years, starting when I first got somewhat serious about growing in my early 20's (in the late 80's), I still enjoy getting intimate with flower and the ritual it's consumption is, or can be, or even the more modern "science project" dabbing can be.... I miss that with carts, as it's simply more "injection"-like, even with quality flower-like material....

Top Bottom