• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Recommendations for a longtime MFLB user

FC_User

So, I've been searching through the site, and I've found a few good threads about MFLB users looking for something with a bit more... um.. stability? Unfortunately, a lot of those posts are from anywhere between 2013 to 2015. And we all know how technology progresses, even within 3 years. Here is my situation: I'm located in an unfriendly part of the US, so I can't just walk into a dispensary and ask these questions. (Hence the very generic username) I have been using the MFLB for damned near 10 years now, and I'm able to get a fairly consistent experience out of it every time. However, I'm simply not a fan of the amount of time that it takes me to get off the ground. The MFLB is a very cold device, I rarely combust, and I end up with decarbed material when I clean the trench. These are nice things. I never get any sort of visible vapor from it, and it's a little time consuming at times to really get anywhere with it, though. This is where I have issues. Now, I'm not looking to blow massive clouds or anything, I appreciate the stealth factor of the MFLB, but sometimes I wonder if I'm getting everything that I can out of my material.

I have looked into other devices such as the Pax, but I'm somewhat unsure of what would work best. I literally just discovered the Dynavap was a thing today. I'm not looking to use a torch, though. I do like the battery powered options. I've also dabbled in making my own VG infusions, as I used the ECs to quit smoking tobacco years ago, but it's never come out quite right. If I had to make a wish list, it would look something like this:
  • Portable
  • Battery Powered
  • Consistent
  • Efficient
The efficiency seems to be one of my main concerns. I don't like having to take 10-15 drags to reach an altitude of [6]. As of right now, the Pax seems to check most of these boxes, but I always like to explore my options. Let me go ahead and say that money is not a concern, as that seems to be an issue that a lot of people asking similar questions have mentioned. I discovered FC today, and I figured it would be worth asking the community here. I really appreciate any responses, and thank you guys for simply existing as a community. There is a lot of great information here that I will be combing through.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Oh man, I get to go first?? I'm gonna go type on an actual keyboard for this post. Heck yeah...

Okay so first of all welcome to FC and props for the savvy breakdown of your needs and your situation. My bigger picture advice is this: get more than one vape this year and embrace the new experience and different strengths of each. You can always sell off the ones that don't work for you in the classified or give them to a friend.

I haven't owned a MFLB so I can't comment specifically to your history. My vapes to this point are a Fury 2, a Linx Gaia, a Solo II, and two ti Vapcaps.

You're sure to hear folks like me and @Mr.Sifter advocate for the Solo II. That's my first choice recommendation for most folks provided the slightly clunky size isn't an issue. That classic setup (i.e. an oven with glass stems that have a bowl at one end) is just a great starting point. You wouldn't want the Solo II in your pocket and it wouldn't be easy to take out and use discretely anywhere but it's my go-to for home use and in my admittedly limited experience it's the embodiment of consistency and effectiveness.

I'd also suggest you do get a Vapcap at some point even though you mentioned not much caring for that torch life. @Pipes makes an induction heater that would drag the heating ritual into the 21st century. More to the point: if you can get used to the tighter draw resistance you'll be hard pressed to find a more efficient vape. I have an Omni XL and a ti OmniVong and it's just uncanny how it feels almost like you're filling a little one hitter and a handful of draws later you're swinging on a proverbial star.

You'll get other good suggestions from folks with more experience than me. I still say start with a Solo II after finding a code to get the price down a bit. It'll be an excellent home vape and a measuring stick for anything else you try. I'm waiting on a Tubo X to be built and shipped from a 420 sale and I'm in line for a Splinter and an iHeat. Whenever I end up trying a new vape it'll be experiences like the ones above that set my expectations.

Last edited:

AtomicPB

Welcome @FC_User ,

having a MFLB myself and still liking it a lot.

I can't tell you anything about the PAX, because I don't own one myself but I would like to recommend the Fury2.

The Fury2 is has a very small form-factor, is easy to use and you are able to micro-dose with it ... and it is very efficient in my eyes. Because of its small form-factor the battery is not that strong though but strong enough for about 6 to 7 four minute sessions.

Lots of reviews and opinions on the Fury2 thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/healthy-rips-fury.24408/

Good luck finding the right vape and let us know what you chose. :)

FC_User

I still say start with a Solo II after finding a code to get the price down a bit. It'll be an excellent home vape and a measuring stick for anything else you try.

I was actually speaking with a friend about this, and he is a Solo 1 owner. One issue that I foresee with the Solo, in general, is that glass stem that's used to keep the material in the oven. I could see myself grinding too finely, or just breaking the stem (I think I've been through 3 MFLB stems, and I keep going back to just the box). Do all of Arizer's models require that glass stem, or am I just misunderstanding the purpose of the stem?

FC_User,
Reactions: ander

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
What I learned that relates to your glass stem question and also to @AtomicPB's post about the Fury 2 is that you actually want the glass stem in the mix. As someone smarter than me put it in the Fury 2 thread, it keeps the vaporizer more "flavor neutral" when the material is in the end of a glass stem. The Fury 2 on its own tastes more like an V2 Pro or something that's just baking your material short of the combustion point. To put it another way, the Fury 2 produces better quality vapor when used with the little glass accessories (which just make it more like a baby Solo with a fifth of the battery life).

Don't get me wrong: I like my Fury 2 just fine. It's just not as pleasant for home use so I use it for vaping out. Using it at home I also became less than thrilled with seeing the charge was about gone again.

bossman,
Reactions: AtomicPB

FC_User

Welcome @FC_User ,

having a MFLB myself and still liking it a lot.

I can't tell you anything about the PAX, because I don't own one myself but I would like to recommend the Fury2.

I will have to look into this one. I really like that it's an all-in-one unit. It also looks like the battery is just an 18500 LiPo, which is good to know you can replace it.

FC_User,
Reactions: AtomicPB

Mr. Me2

Pax is great, but it’s conduction. The Fury2 is a hybrid.

You may want want to consider a grasshopper. They’ve been going through some growing pains recently, but I’m a believer

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: FC_User

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Lol. I really am sorry for sounding like such a Fury 2 hater. It's a solid vape that did a fine job of prioritizing size and stealth. The price is also lower than my recs, although you said that wasn't an issue.

In terms of efficiency and effectiveness it's best with the glass accessories (the bent mouthpiece, the water pipe adapter, or the silly little bubbler) and those defeat the purpose of the tiny size and pocketability. We're all glowing fans over at the Fury 2 thread and I must add their customer service is really responsive and helpful. If you start with the same amount of material you'll get more extraction and better vapor quality with a Solo II or VC, that's all.

I'll make myself bust out the Fury 2 tonight to reacquaint myself. Only I'll use the wpa with a little D020 water pipe to put it in position to be successful. =)

ander

A Pax2 (don't know the 3) for the today price I think is always a good option/integration. I recently discovered it again when I forgot my VC at home... a moment of panic... and then I said ok, I have the Pax. I put it on temp #3 and had a nice and very discreet session.

Do all of Arizer's models require that glass stem
One of my friends, that has the same concerns, got this and he's pretty happy

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Pax2 is fully optimized with the NewVape stuff (pusher & screen)... and this change things a bit in terms of efficiency I guess...

Last edited:

AtomicPB

@FC_User

As much as I respect and appreciate @bossman 's experience and opinion about the taste of the Fury2, I would differ with his opinion. I own an older Flowermate conduction vaporizer and also the Arizer Go which is supposed to be similiar in taste with Air/Air2 and Solo/Solo2 and I would not put the Fury2 in the lower quality taste category.

With the normal mouthpiece the Fury2 tastes quite good in my opinion and with the glass WPA even better ... I would even go as far as to say that the difference to the Arizer products is marginal at most with the glass WPA. At least for me.

When I find the time I will post a comparison between the ArGo and Fury2.

Unfortunately the Fury2 has not a replaceable battery.

If you are looking for that, a lower priced and very portable convection vaporizer with almost instantanious heat-up is the Fog. There is a discussion about product safety of the Fogs materials going on though.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/x-max-fog.25533/

Obviously the ArGo is a nice option as well. A bit on the expensive side though and really a session vape (with the standard session being 10 minutes).

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-argo.25853/

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
The ArGo reviews seem to always dance around the fact that it doesn't have the ability to produce big clouds. It's like they respect Arizer and extend that respect for the whole product line to the ArGo which is more expensive and made from plastic.

After reading the above post from @AtomicPB I'm gonna revisit my impressions of the Fury 2. I also read a thoughtful comment yesterday that it suffers by likely just having a hotter oven at various indicated temps. Like maybe as more of a ripper I've mostly tended to use it over 390°F and haven't given it the opportunity to hit smoothly with the black mouthpiece. I still think it's less effective with the black mouthpiece than the Solo II and as a relative lightweight it's worth noting that folks who vape more would likely be even more inconvenienced by the small battery.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I like the Solo 2 as well. Very easy to use and operate. It has some new bells and whistles compared to the Solo OG. Arizer fixed the milkshake draw too. Glass does break but I love an all glass airpath. I like wood but not as well as glass. I don’t like a plastic airpath - ugh. That’s one of the reasons I never bought a Mighty.

I also like the Milaana. It’s a hard hitting wooden portable. It’s run by batteries and your rate of draw speed and operating a clicker is how you determine the heat level. It’s a heavy hitter but it takes a day or two to get the hang of it.

Often it comes down to personal preference. I use a log vape at home unless I need cordless.

I also have a Grasshopper that I love. I haven’t had any troubles with it since I got it back from Hopper Labs last Oct. Everytime I turn it on I hold my breath. I’m hoping the Grasshopper is better than before. They have changed some of the inside parts because of so many faulty units. I hope they finally have it figured out. I don’t usually recommend a Grasshopper because of all the faulty vaporizers in the past. Some folks lately have waited months to get their units back.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
The Fury 2 and the D020 get along great. First time trying that combo and the diminutive Fury 2 is a convenient size for topping a modest piece like this. I only have the standard wpa so it's pretty much one bowl = one big rip.

I have a gong adapter for the Solo arriving this week. Vaping with water is brand new to me so I feel spoiled with multiple great options like this.

Which of course is a credit to FC, so thanks y'all!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Super cool
20180509_195216_HDR_2.jpg

Kozzmozz

Infinite realities, infinite possibilities
Allthough keeping in mind your want to avoid butane torches- your explanation about your MFLB usage, the vape that keeps coming up in my mind is the vapman.

It has a similar vape signature as an mflb, but more convenient and can hit a bit harder. Easily as stealthy and goodlooking, portable.

It does use a torch but if you want you can get the station for home use.

It is extremely efficient, meaning in my books: little herb for great effect.
But reading your post @FC_User , your definition of efficiency could be read as hitting harder since I don't consider the pax as efficient when it comes to herb usage.

Other option could be the milaana.

Can you show a pic of your 10 year old MFLB? Sounds interesting to see.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Some great suggestions for you already, but will add my 2 cents.

@Kozzmozz suggested the Milaana - which is, in a lot of ways a one handed MFLB. It comes with a glass stem, but there are plenty of wood stems out there. It definitely would check all your boxes, except it is less discreet than the MFLB.

The Fury 2 checks all of your boxes - pretty much no technique needed and is almost as efficient as the MFLB. But it is very different than the MFLB (nothing negative- just different)

I actually really like the Pax 3 (just recently got it) but it is definitely NOT efficient like some of the others mentioned.

You may also want to look at the L’il Bud. Similar look to the Milaana, less expensive but full disclosure- I ordered but haven’t received yet, so I am going off of other people’s positive reviews on it.

Good luck with your search, welcome to FC, and keep asking questions - the more specific the better help you will get!

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
  • Portable
  • Battery Powered
  • Consistent
  • Efficient

Milaana or Lil' Bud. I've had both out and about this week. Both wood vapes. Crafted by individuals.

The Milaana comes with glass stems, the Lil Bud with wood stems. I prefer wood stems, and have a couple. I have 4 glass stems too.

They both take 18650 replaceable batteries and check all your boxes. And as a bonus the wood stems fit in a 2-battery plastic battery case. Perfect for when you head out.

little maggie

since someone suggested the milaana and little bud, i'd add the mvt. it's well designed and also uses 18650 batteries. i have the milaana and mvt and use them interchangeably. the main difference to me is that one is 14mm and the other 18mm. you can get wood or glass for the mvt and i just got a great whip from him.
the tubo is larger and is basically a covered box mod but is a great vape that meets your criteria and the software gets updated fairly often.
you don't have cost on your list so maybe it doesn't matter but the fury 2 is a great, simple vape.

vapeanderson

It should be emphasized the Fury 2 is quite small. Also more discreet in appearance than the MFLB. Quick heat up time. It will get you medicated in a timely manner.

Scuba Steve Tokes

Since I’ve gotten into the practice of threadromancy, bringing back dead threads :zombie:, I’d really like to see how recommendations for a MFLB user might have changed. I’m not sure how much the portable vape space has improved in the last three years. I haven’t been in the vape space for three years but reading this thread it sounds like it could have been posted yesterday—minus the little bud recommendation I haven’t heard of that until just now.

I think the DynaVap and Vapman are good suggestions for efficient use of herbs as long as the person is comfortable with a torch and they don’t plan on using it in a super ninja stealth capacity. How many vapes are more efficient in terms of high for amount of herb than the MFLB, butane or otherwise? I vape till the bud is the same color as my dark walnut MFLB and boy do I get some mileage!

Solo 2, Argo, Fury 2, Fury Edge, and Milana are all sure to be brought up again but What new portable vapes would you all recommend? I know the Edge is newer but it’s basically a larger Fury 2 unless I’m missing something.

I personally am more than frugal and label myself as “cost averse” so the idea of buying a vape that will eventually be a paperweight when the internal battery gives out does not compute :borg:. I always see people people trash talk the Argo and heap praise on the Solo 2 but never a peep about the Air 2. What is the deal?

Top Bottom