Reasons to keep MJ ILLEGAL - persuassive speech advice needed

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Do any of you guys have some web site recommendations about places that will have good statistical data? I see a lot if positive facts but I need some sites I can use as sources. I see a lot of "studies show...." bit no one lists the study so i can't look it up!

Thanks all...you have been helpful. Can't wait to show you guys what I come up with.

finchrock24,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Momatik...if your ever in so cal...I owe you a bowl. That post is going to help immensely! Thanks! My buddy also told me that Google has a feature where you can search academic/scientific papers and journals only.

I'm going to start my outline right now and I'll post something up when I get a chance.

finchrock24,

sunsett70

good luck finchrock24, the truth will prevail! though if weed was legal, i wouldn't want my dentist to be high (and chuckling) when he's about to put the drill in my mouth :o

sunsett70,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
SORRY ABOUT FORMATTING! I know it will be annoying to read with the awkward spaces, but MS Word and outlines don't exactly get a long. So this is the intro and the first body paragraph...

Persuasive Speech: The Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana
Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that marijuana should be legalized in order to benefit our economy, the medical field, as well as ending a significant war on drugs.
Central Idea: If our nation would legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana in a similar way as alcohol, we could save money and make advancements in the medical field.
Introduction

I. Among the hot topics of todays media, there are a few that seem to never go away.
A. Among these topics are the death penalty, abortion, and gay marriage.
B. One of these topics is the idea of the legalization of marijuana; in fact just a few months ago California had a landmark vote on this issue.
C. Although it did not pass, it brought national attention the legalization of marijuana issue.
D. Although some would say that the failing of the legalization of marijuana was a good thing, I would argue the opposite opinion.
E. Not only would marijuana greatly improve our economy, it would end a violent and costly war on drugs as well as unlock huge advancements in the medical field.
F. If marijuana was legalized, regulated, and taxed in a similar manner to both alcohol and cigarettes, it could benefit our society.

Transition: Lets start at the beginning and see where the cannabis plant gets its origins as we know it.
Body

I. The Cannabis plant has been utilized as a medicinal herb far longer than most people realize.
A. According to the Scientific Electronic Library (SEL), cannabis is one of the earliest cultivated plants by man.
1. The first evidence of the use of cannabis was found in China, where archeological and historical findings indicate that that plant was cultivated for fibers since 4.000 B.C.
2. With these fibers, the Chinese could fabricate very sturdy rope, textiles, and even paper.
B. The SEL also states that The use of cannabis as a medicine by ancient Chinese was reported in the world's oldest pharmacopoeia, which can be dated back to 2700 B.C.
1.The ancient Chinese used it for rheumatic pain, intestinal constipation, disorders of the female reproductive system, and even malaria.
2. The Chinese rarely mention the cannabis plant as a hallucinogen or intoxicant, thus showing that it started as a purely medicinal and utilitarian plant.
C. Lets take a look at the United States and its history with Marijuana.
1. People often support the idea of marijuana prosecution without knowing where the ban on it even originated.
2. According to Charles Whitebread, a former professor of law at USC and adviser to the federal government on marijuana laws, the first group of states to have marijuana laws were the Rocky Mountain and southwestern states (such as Texas, New Mexico, Montana, and Colorado).
3. Professor Whitebread also goes onto discuss on what grounds the states banned the plant.
4. Probably the best single statement, according to Whitebread, was the statement of a proponent of Texas first marijuana law. He said on the floor of the Texas Senate, and I quote, "All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff (referring to marijuana) is what makes them crazy."
5. Or, as the proponent of Montana's first marijuana law said, (and imagine this on the floor of the state legislature) and I quote, "Give one of these Mexican beet field workers a couple of puffs on a marijuana cigarette and he thinks he is in the bullring at Barcelona."
6. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these were the grounds for the first anti-marijuana laws in the United States
D. In 1937, the US passed the Marijuana tax Act of 1937, which required people to obtain a special government issued stamp in order to poses marijuana.
A. However, the federal government failed to issue any, thus essentially outlawing the substance without make a formal law banning the growing or harvesting of a plant.
B. Perhaps the single most interesting piece of information comes from the American Medical Association.
1. The American Medical Association directly opposed the Marijuana Tax Act on July 10, 1937, on the grounds that it would make it much too difficult to obatain for medical purposed.

finchrock24,

sunsett70

don't forget when you're fighting for legality of weed, to add that some people develop an ability to master certain things when they toke. like this comment i got from some other forum:

"After smoking weed for about 7 years now I realize that there are a bunch of things that ordinary people wouldn't be able to do but thanks to weed I have mastered them.

For example when I'm driving my car. Smoking weed has taught me how to drive with my knees. I can take a nug from my stash, grind it, pack it and spark up while driving with my knees. I can't take 90 degree turns (yet lol) but i can easily switch lane and brake at the same time. It really makes me laugh sometimes. Nothing feels better than sparkin a bowl and put the seat far back, feels like I'm basically sinking into the seat all while going 80 on the freeway.

Another thing is rolling j's in record time. There was a time when I could grind a nug and roll it in about a minute. I used a grinder and had already prepared a crutch but I was still happy with the time. I haven't mastered the one-handed rolling technique though...

Those are the ones I can think of right now. I'll post more when I think of them.
What are your talents you got from smoking weed? "

sunsett70,

tuttle

Most of it was covered, but underage access being a problem due to legalization is another common one.

As for schizophrenia assertion, the study showed correlation, not causation. Which means that people who are predisposed to schizophrenia may be self medicating with cannabis, not that the cannabis is causing the schizophrenia. Also, you can site that the rates of schizophrenia associated with alcohol, about 3% (http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/...zophrenia-is-probably-a-minimal-relationship/) is way higher than with cannabis, which is about 0.4% (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview)

Another common one is brain damage. This is usually derived from the HEATH/TULANE STUDY 1974 study. The argument against it is that the study was heavily flawed, and the test subjects (Rhesus monkeys) were subject to hypoxic environments for long periods of time which would cause the damage observed.

tuttle,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Tuttle, thanks a lot for you response. That is just the type of thing I can use in my rebuttle if/when it gets brought up.

I'll post up more/the rest on Friday some time. I'm going to head into medicinal uses, as in more modern usage with cancers, AIDS, etc,. I will probably use Dr. Tashkin's study a fair amount because he is a huge advocate of studying THC to advance health, not neccesarily marijuana. He does admit that its the marijuana smoke that is needed (due to the high numbers of various other active cannabinoids), however he says (of course) he would never recommend a patient to smoke a plant. After that, I will go into economic benefits/war on marijuana. We'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks again all.

Joey

finchrock24,
finchrock24 said:
Momatik...if your ever in so cal...I owe you a bowl. That post is going to help immensely! Thanks! My buddy also told me that Google has a feature where you can search academic/scientific papers and journals only.

I'm going to start my outline right now and I'll post something up when I get a chance.

google scholar. Change the tab at the top of the google search page. A Lifesaver for finding peer reviewed articles for last minute college papers.

WOW there are some great posts in here. I should start coming to FC to get answers for my homework :lol:

biojuggernaut,

djonkoman

tuttle said:
Most of it was covered, but underage access being a problem due to legalization is another common one.

As for schizophrenia assertion, the study showed correlation, not causation. Which means that people who are predisposed to schizophrenia may be self medicating with cannabis, not that the cannabis is causing the schizophrenia. Also, you can site that the rates of schizophrenia associated with alcohol, about 3% (http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/...zophrenia-is-probably-a-minimal-relationship/) is way higher than with cannabis, which is about 0.4% (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview)

Another common one is brain damage. This is usually derived from the HEATH/TULANE STUDY 1974 study. The argument against it is that the study was heavily flawed, and the test subjects (Rhesus monkeys) were subject to hypoxic environments for long periods of time which would cause the damage observed.

underage access is not a good argument against legalisation I think, dealers don't ask for id
if I go to the coffeeshop I have to show my id(at least according to all the signsposted inside and at the door, in reality it depends on the shop, some always ask for id, some only if you look young etc)
but 2 weeks ago when I was in rome and we bought some from a dealer on the streets(actually only one friend bought some, but me abd another friend were with him) he ofcourse didn't ask for id or age, and on top of that after the deal he asked if we also wanted to buy some heron

djonkoman,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Well here it is...all done! once again, sorry about formatting issues and i hope its still read-able.

Please let me know what you think! I can't really add anything because its probably a minute too long already, but fuck it. i don't think my prof. will mind, i think he stones it or did. He made several unprompted remarks/jokes about it in class on several occasions.

By the way, dont rip my speech off. use shit if you want to but just leave a note here and re word it.

Persuasive Speech: The Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana
Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that marijuana should be legalized in order to benefit our economy, the medical field, as well as ending a significant war on drugs.
Central Idea: If our nation would legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana in a similar way as alcohol, we could save money and make advancements in the medical field.
Introduction

I. Among the hot topics of todays media, there are a few that seem to never go away.
A. Among these topics are the death penalty, abortion, and gay marriage.
B. One of these topics is the idea of the legalization of marijuana; in fact just a few months ago California had a landmark vote on this issue.
C. Although it did not pass, it brought national attention the legalization of marijuana issue.
D. Although some would say that the failing of the legalization of marijuana was a good thing, I would argue the opposite opinion.
E. Not only would marijuana greatly improve our economy, it would end a violent and costly war on drugs as well as unlock huge advancements in the medical field.
F. If marijuana was legalized, regulated, and taxed in a similar manner to both alcohol and cigarettes, it could benefit our society.

Transition: Lets start at the beginning and see where the cannabis plant gets its origins as we know it.
Body

I. The Cannabis plant has been utilized as a medicinal herb far longer than most people realize.
A. According to the Scientific Electronic Library (SEL), cannabis is one of the earliest cultivated plants by man.
1. The first evidence of the use of cannabis was found in China, where archeological and historical findings indicate that that plant was cultivated for fibers since 4.000 B.C.
2. With these fibers, the Chinese could fabricate very sturdy rope, textiles, and even paper.
B. The SEL also states that the use of cannabis as a medicine by ancient Chinese was reported in the world's oldest pharmacopoeia, which can be dated back to 2700 B.C.
1.The ancient Chinese used it for rheumatic pain, intestinal constipation, disorders of the female reproductive system, and even malaria.
2. The Chinese rarely mention the cannabis plant as a hallucinogen or intoxicant, thus showing that it started as a purely medicinal and utilitarian plant.
C. Our nations history differs a little bit from the Chineses first experiences though.
1. People often support the idea of marijuana prosecution without knowing where the ban on it even originated.
2. According to Charles Whitebread, a former professor of law at USC and adviser to the federal government on marijuana laws, the first group of states to have marijuana laws were the Rocky Mountain and southwestern states (such as Texas, New Mexico, Montana, and Colorado).
3. Professor Whitebread also goes onto discuss on what grounds the states banned the plant.
4. Probably the best single statement, according to Whitebread, was the statement of a proponent of Texas first marijuana law. He said on the floor of the Texas Senate, and I quote, "All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff (referring to marijuana) is what makes them crazy."
5. Or, as the proponent of Montana's first marijuana law said, (and imagine this on the floor of the state legislature) and I quote, "Give one of these Mexican beet field workers a couple of puffs on a marijuana cigarette and he thinks he is in the bullring at Barcelona."
6. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these were the grounds for the first anti-marijuana laws in the United States
D. In 1937, the US passed the Marijuana tax Act of 1937, which required people to obtain a special government issued stamp in order to poses marijuana.
A. However, the federal government failed to issue any, thus essentially outlawing the substance without make a formal law banning the growing or harvesting of a plant.
B. Perhaps the single most interesting piece of information comes from the American Medical Association.
1. The American Medical Association directly opposed the Marijuana Tax Act on July 10, 1937, on the grounds that it would make it much too difficult to obatain for medical purposed.
2. Less then seven months after the Marijuana Tax Act was passed, the medical community was already officially opposing it.

Transition: Now lets take a look at what the US does to enforce the ban on marijuana.

II. Ever since that point, copious amounts of time and money have been spent to stop the sale, possession, and growing of the cannabis plant.
A. This very idea, that a government could ban the growing and possession of a plant, has cost the US over $1 trillion.
B. Infact, according to the the drug sense clock, which is a running clock of how much federal and state money is spent on the war on drugs, our government spends over $1100 dollars A SECOND.
1. Now, this money is spent to control a variety of illicit drugs, so not all of this money would be saved if we regulate marijuana and end its prhibiotion.
2. However, marijuana accounts for about 45% of the DEAs war on drugs, so even though all of this money wont be save, a very significant amount would be.
C. According to Cal State University at Northridge, 1/6 of our prison population is locked up for marijuana related offenses.
1. If we were to legalize marijuana, we could avoid paying $11.3 BILLION a year in the housing of non-violent pot smokers/growers.
D. Another interesting fact comes from a paper endorsed by 500+ economists called The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition.
1. The report shows that marijuana legalization -- replacing prohibition with a system of taxation and regulation -- would save $7.7 billion per year in state and federal expenditures on prohibition enforcement.
2. It could produce tax revenues of at least $2.4 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like most consumer goods.
3. If, however, marijuana were taxed similarly to alcohol or tobacco, it might generate as much as $6.2 billion annually.
E. So after we do some math, the legalization of marijuana would free up somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 BILLION dollars.
F. Imagine what $25 billion a year could do for schools, job creation, roads and highways, etc.

Transition: Despite the illegality of the cannabis plant, it is alarmingly safe and has a huge medicinal value just waiting to be unlocked.

III. Cannabis has been the center of many medical related studies, as doctors have wanted to see how it can positively affect cancer, AIDS, glaucoma, and a myriad of other diseases.
A. Most importantly, marijuana has been proven to not be physically addictive, unlike most other drugs, both legal and illegal.
1. When a user stops using marijuana, they often experience no withdrawal symptoms.
2. A small number of people may experience slight symptoms, such as irritability, problems getting to sleep, and appetite changes, but most of these symptoms are gone after two weeks if they even present themselves.
B. More states continually are looking at medical marijuana as a viable treatment.
1. Currently, 16 states honor some type of medicinal marijuana ordinance.
2. As of May 13 2011, ten more states had legislation on medicinal marijuana in the works.
3. Keep in mind, according to the DEA and federal government, marijuana as no accepted medical value.
C.Harvard has even conducted studies on the effect THC (the psychoactive compound) has on lung cancer.
1. According to Harvard medical, the active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread.
2. For three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression
D. Obviously, smoking any substance is not the ideal way to injest medicine, however, without the legalization of marijuana, it is very difficult to study, question, and truly understand the complex organism.

Conclusion
Transition: To conclude this, lets review some things.

A. There are 0 reported deaths caused from marijuana in the history of mankind.
B. Recent studies show that in can significantly help to cure some cancers.
C. Legalizing, taxing and regulating cannabis could net the citizens of the United States $25 billion dollars annually, with that number only increasing.

finchrock24,
I know that you're finished but you may want to consider adding some things. Forget about money and jobs, but the most important thing to consider is what is being done to otherwise law-abiding citizens. The trouble is that it is a victimless crime that people are thrown in prison for, along with rapists, murders and other violent criminals.

There are people suffering from life-threatening illnesses and they are unable to use a harmless plant like marijuana for treatment. With different medications and pills, people are prescribed addictive drugs and drugs that can have harmful side-effects. Many times the pills are too expensive for people to afford, when marijuana can be easily grown at home. These same people have tried marijuana and claim that it is the best treatment for them, but there is a government that is prohibiting them to get the treatment from marijuana.

In the United States, medical marijuana has now been approved to be prescribes in about 15 states (to my knowledge) that alone shows that there is known medical treatment from the plant. There has been countless studies showing the benefits of marijuana and supporting the claims of people suffering without treatment for their illness. It's many times when people are given a bunch of prescriptions that don't work first, then they'll be suggested marijuana. Marijuana does not have those harmful side effects that are had from many of the other prescribed legalized drugs.

The punishment should fit the crime. The punishment for using or possessing the drug is more harmful than using the drug, that doesn't fit.

It was in the late 70's when Jimmy Carter was looking to legalize marijuana along with other drugs, but then there was the Cuban/Colombian crime wave in Miami, so he was forced to back off.

Let's be reminded, marijuana has not been illegal for all that long. It was only during the racial propaganda of everything that it became illegal. Harry J Anslinger is a big reason for this. He had published in newspapers that marijuana was dangerous and all the blacks were smoking it and all this other crap. During that time people were actually able to walk into a bar and get a drink of cocaine, like coca-cola but it was prescribed for them to just get a nice high from it.

Anslinger's huge cash crop was cotton, it was one of the major sources of income for the United States at the time. Hemp/cannabis threatened that with being much more affordable, cotton takes a lot more work to produce.

Billions of dollars have been wasted on the War On Drugs, which has been the longest, most expensive war, that still has not had any outcome. Prohibition has not stopped the use, production, or availability of marijuana. In fact, it has been shown that younger and younger people are beginning to smoke marijuana with the prohibition. It makes most sense to have it legalized, regulated, and taxed. Right now there are gangs that control the sale of it and a lot of weed still comes directly from Mexico, people do not know what they're buying when they're looking for medical treatment. There is a lot of money and jobs that could be created if it were legal.

Right now there are overpaid police officers that are targeting young minorities or teenage kids for simple possession of marijuana. Most marijuana arrests are for simple possession around under 2 grams.

There is psychological damage done to these young people when arrested for something like simple marijuana possession, treated like a violent criminal that did something terribly wrong. This is far worse than any damage caused by marijuana.

One last story which is a clear representation of police targeting the young harmless weed smoker. There was a girl from Florida, 23 years old and graduate of Florida State University, she smoked a lot of weed and had a big group of friends who frequently wanted to smoke too. So, she started selling some weed, and occasionally some other drugs too. Well, there was a customer who was an informant and told the police that Rachel was selling. Police arrested her at her place with mostly just weed, had some pills too but nothing more than personal use.

Rachel had been arrested before, so police scared the crap out of the young girl and told her she was going to have to serve jail time. (going to jail with those violent offenders and gang members, or turn on the criminals she bought the weed from) Under the pressure she decided she'd work with the cops to have her suppliers arrested. Well, police didn't seem to care too much about Rachel - the girl who was mostly buying a QP of weed every now and then. They told her to buy crack, 100 E Pills, weed, and a handgun.

When she called with that deal the dealers easily knew they were being set up, as anyone would with a working brain. These rookie police were supposed to follow Rachel to the deal but lost track of her, her body was never found but she was murdered by her two dealers.

That's who we're forced to deal with to get a little weed. The trouble is alcohol is far more dangerous and has done much more destruction to our society than weed could ever do. I know there are many fathers who have gone out, drank a case of booze and came home to beat on their kid. I think any father who goes out and uses some marijuana will only come home and watch The Lion King with their kid.

Off the topic of medical use.. if someone can enjoy a beer after a long day of work, then what is so wrong about someone smoking a joint after work?

The best site I know for info is NORML.org.

I would limit the talk about China. Just explain how long it has been on earth, how long it has been used as an effective medicine, and how brief it has been illegal in the United States and around the world. Also, how it became illegal over nothing but propaganda by a powerful white person.

good luck

AmericanDream,
Top Bottom