Re-purposing vape residue? Ethanol/Neutral Grain Spirit?

Hi, looking for ways to get the most out of my new vaping setup (Splinter Z going through silicon bong at home / long cooling tube when out).
Have been making rum liqueurs recently and am curious if some of the same processes might transfer.

I've seen a few topics mention soaking the resin-stained glass parts of my vape in food grade ethanol, in order to then simmer the ethanol away & make a concentrate.
But it's such a pain to find the right ethanol, and in the end I don't actually need a concentrate - I just want to do something, anything, with the leftovers. Not just soak the glass in isopropyl. (of course, the leftover herb can alternatively be cooked into edibles)

So instead of making a concentrate with ethanol, would it be possible to do a simple extraction/infusion by steeping in a 69.9% abv Neutral Grain Spirit (which we have easy access to via a friend who runs a spirits shop)?

My hope is this:
1. I vape away, saving the vaped herbs in a jar
2. When the glass parts/screens get too dirty, I steep them in NGS (neutral grain spirit) for a day week or two (not heated) - will this both clean the glass & infuse the NGS?
3. In this steeping, could I also include the leftover vaped dry herb to additionally infuse the NGS?
4. After steeping, I strain it all out through cheese-cloth and then coffee filter, and am left with an infused NGS (?)
5. After this, I could then, if desired, steep the infusion with our homemade fruit cordials to balance out the flavour profile & alcohol strength (similar to how I steep the cordials with white rum to make liqueurs)

The parts bolded in steps 2 & 3 are my biggest questions/concerns for this idea.
Any advice mega appreciated <3

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
All of this will work, the “69.9% ABV” threw me off for a minute (we use the same acronym here, for Already Been Vaped. Took me a second to realize you meant Alcohol By Volume) as I was gonna say, 70% already vaped bud might be a little extreme!

Everything looks alright to me.

shredder

Hi, looking for ways to get the most out of my new vaping setup (Splinter Z going through silicon bong at home / long cooling tube when out).
Have been making rum liqueurs recently and am curious if some of the same processes might transfer.

I've seen a few topics mention soaking the resin-stained glass parts of my vape in food grade ethanol, in order to then simmer the ethanol away & make a concentrate.
But it's such a pain to find the right ethanol, and in the end I don't actually need a concentrate - I just want to do something, anything, with the leftovers. Not just soak the glass in isopropyl. (of course, the leftover herb can alternatively be cooked into edibles)

So instead of making a concentrate with ethanol, would it be possible to do a simple extraction/infusion by steeping in a 69.9% abv Neutral Grain Spirit (which we have easy access to via a friend who runs a spirits shop)?

My hope is this:
2. When the glass parts/screens get too dirty, I steep them in NGS (neutral grain spirit) for a day week or two (not heated) - will this both clean the glass & infuse the NGS?
3. In this steeping, could I also include the leftover vaped dry herb to additionally infuse the NGS?
4. After steeping, I strain it all out through cheese-cloth and then coffee filter, and am left with an infused NGS (?)
5. After this, I could then, if desired, steep the infusion with our homemade fruit cordials to balance out the flavour profile & alcohol strength (similar to how I steep the cordials with white rum to make liqueurs)

The parts bolded in steps 2 & 3 are my biggest questions/concerns for this idea.

I think you'll find it difficult to hide the taste in a drink. Reclaim isn't a pleasant taste and can be very hard to hide. Concentrates don't taste great, and you need more reclaim than a concentrate because they're not terribly strong.

I think you'd be better off making edibles or capsules, although you can still get a capsule burp, but it passes fast.

arb

Semi shaved ape

My hope is this:

The biggest issue with infusions and edibles is masking the flavor.
Some people don't seem bothered but a great many are.
Perhaps a darker rum like a Zaya Gran Reserva?

nms

If you only use reclaim and don't use ABV it won't have a bad taste. If you want to use ABV I recomend freezing it to keep more clorophyl and similar bad tasting chemicals inside and use low temp ACS ethanol abs for a quick bath, do this multiple times and refrigerate in between. Then dilute with the intended water amount without precipitating the solutes.

Ethanol abs is pretty damn expensive. You can do the same with grain alcohol but it won't be as effective as you'll need more time for it to dissolve and that results in dissolving more foul tasting chemicals. Prefer grain alcohol if you don't have access to a proper lab that can provide a within spec solvent otherwise with very restrict quality control and testing.

Some people also extract with ISO because it's cheap, but if you do so do it with ACS grade 99 ISO and with the proper equipment(vacuum chamber for evaporation in heated bed is the bare minimum), since it's highly harmful and toxic. Once evaporated they dissolve the results in whatever beverage. Doing this without experience may result in bubbles trapped within the precipitate, causing massive harm when eaten/inhaled.

Last edited:
nms,

badbee

For another approach you can take a dirty stem and simmer it in a shallow pan of whole milk (or anything fatty). The warm milk fat dissolves the reclaim and then you can put the milk in food, hot chocolate, etc.

badbee,
Reactions: Okla68

Okla68

I cant say it any other way.....Tinctures or Concentrate made from ABV....IS GROSS TASTING !
SWIM gives his to the Needy, peeps who still Combust. Seems to be as good or better than the old Mexican Brick ! You can Soak it in Water for a week, helps remove Some of the Nasty taste. Dry it, Freeze it and Freeze the Everclear. Do a 60 second wash(any longer and you start to extract burned/scorched Chlorophyll), strain thru a coffee filter While in the Freezer. Over a Hot Plate reduce volume for a Tincture or all the way for Oily Concentrate. The Vape process already Decarbed it, so, its ready to consume. BEWARE OF ABV BURPS, YUK !!! After a few attempts at this I decided its NOT WORTH IT in relation to how Nasty it tastes, Even after a Wash/Soak for a week. Just me, have a Weak Stomach when it comes to consuming anything with Cannabis Taste...even Commercially made Edibles !

Last edited:
Okla68,
Reactions: arb

Tuck

Like people said, abv alcohol tinctures don't taste good. ABV taste with the everclear burn is a whole lot of yuck.

But alcohol extractions are a lot easier for me than infusing coconut oil or butter -I prefer squeezing out cold alcohol over hot butter. So I do alcohol extractions, evaporate most of the alcohol off and then add that to my fat. Freeze everything ahead of time to limit chlorophyll like in a QWISO extraction method.

Where I live, I can't get 190 proof Everclear. The best I can get is 151 Proof Everclear. I use 151 Proof Rum instead because it tastes better than Everclear.

Here's something to try - pour your alcohol mixture over a cup of sugar. Spread the wet sugar mixture over a cookie sheet with parchment paper and then evaporate it off in the oven at 180F, stirring occassionally. You'll be left with cannasugar. Then make a simple syrup with you cannasugar to get into a tincture that's a little more palatable.

Top Bottom