• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

canadianvapelife

This debate comes up often here if you want to skim back through the thread, I just finally took out my original canary Z that is still set up wattage on surmyevic gen3dual to test something, still works phenomenally well even though I have temp control set up with all my others... There's a lot of options here!
I'm definitely looking forward to doing some experimenting with TCR

Razhumikin

My device senses the resistance. @.25ohms and I dialed back the watts to 53 and the temp to 403. Should I up the ohms even though it reads that as the resistance of the atomizer?

As a “never used 510” guy this TCR thing is nice bc it’s more like the herb-vape displays I am accostomed to.

This particular Splinter seems to have a slight hot spot, but its cool cause I just revolve the stem and get fresh(er) hits as I go.

I really am very impressed with how effortless and on-demand the vaping is…

Why did I just get into this now. After so many hundreds spent?
Dont change your resistance, .25 is right on for a regular Splinter, he is talking about a Z, which is a bigger coil with a higher resistance typically between .38-.42. On my regular splinter i do .25, 42 watt max, set between 375-390.

4everpushingaboulder

try 47w after 15sec preheat + 5s of cooling down the coil, super fast draw. it will change your mind :lol: :cool: ✨
edit: just did 20s + 10s cooling, amazing 1 hitter
You kinda just described TCR. 55w max. Takes about 5 sec at full wattage to hit 390. No need for a cooldown because the software keeps it at a constant temp.

4everpushingaboulder,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
You kinda just described TCR. 55w max. Takes about 5 sec at full wattage to hit 390. No need for a cooldown because the software keeps it at a constant temp.

No, it's not like TCR, because TCR limits you with that 390, there was something special about the full bodied vapor signature you would get from an RBT vape with the high surface area steel mesh heater, in my experience that seems to be missing when I'm using TCR, especially below 400, straight upper wattage really unleashes the beast...

FearAndLawyering

I'd be curious to see everyones AVB after 1 hit and when the bowl is cached, where your preferences are. settings are a pretty personal thing (even varies with grind consistency and stem.

TCR avb, with my settings 'dialed in' going for that near combustion. its a bit darker in person, phone cameras seem to like to lighten things up -

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Thanks for that, I will go down that rabbit hole later as that sort of emergent quality/nature that imbues new levels of meaning to things I otherwise found to be rather trivial or unimportant are things I want to delve into very mindfully.

On a less philosophical note my Milaana box does not have a Dark Side reference as I thought it would and my Splinter brought no box and that saddens me the tiniest bit…

Just got my first splinter z today with a mod with arctic fox installed. The settings that came on it are 55W .42ohms locked and 340f. I have never used TCR only wattage mode and pretty much always use 36w. Would these TCR settings be a good place for me to start?
Those settings look fine and generally I temp step from 350° to 390° or so.

The Z is primo in tc but peak performance hinges on the mod it's paired with. The only two Red Panda mods, the Joyetech Espion and the Wismec Ravage230, are the best you can get; on sale they go for around $40 but you often have to wait two or three weeks to get one from a Honk Kong warehouse.

My device senses the resistance. @.25ohms and I dialed back the watts to 53 and the temp to 403. Should I up the ohms even though it reads that as the resistance of the atomizer?

As a “never used 510” guy this TCR thing is nice bc it’s more like the herb-vape displays I am accostomed to.

This particular Splinter seems to have a slight hot spot, but its cool cause I just revolve the stem and get fresh(er) hits as I go.

I really am very impressed with how effortless and on-demand the vaping is…

Why did I just get into this now. After so many hundreds spent?
My og walnut Splinter was always the most hotspot-prone too. Like I was saying to @Mac09 above, the mod choice makes a big difference for tc. Tc when properly configured on a suitable mod will always extract more evenly than wattage.

The Red Panda mods are both a bit chunky for a non-Z Splinter but will still work great for a coffee table portable. The Arctic Fox mods are best smaller Splinter mods for tc: the RX Gen3 Dual is our old faithful and the iStick Rim C is a great choice for a single cell mod.

LooseCucumber

Hi FC, question! I've been using TCR on the v2 for a couple months with success, but my resistance often changes (anywhere from .26-.3). It's cold this time of year, so sometimes the device can be cold. I try to warm it for a few mins before use.

On AF I have two profiles, a wattage and TCR profile. The resistance is locked on TCR, on wattage the resistance unlocked. Often i switch between profiles before I start vaping to see my resistance, if it's too high, I run a bowl in wattage until I can get back to a PC to adjust the locked resistance on TCR profile. I apologize if this is basic, but it's been frustrating as I thought once I set up TCR i'd generally be "set up". Luckily, wattage works well. Splinter was kicking clouds at 45w.

LooseCucumber,

Shit Snacks

Hi FC, question! I've been using TCR on the v2 for a couple months with success, but my resistance often changes (anywhere from .26-.3). It's cold this time of year, so sometimes the device can be cold. I try to warm it for a few mins before use.

On AF I have two profiles, a wattage and TCR profile. The resistance is locked on TCR, on wattage the resistance unlocked. Often i switch between profiles before I start vaping to see my resistance, if it's too high, I run a bowl in wattage until I can get back to a PC to adjust the locked resistance on TCR profile. I apologize if this is basic, but it's been frustrating as I thought once I set up TCR i'd generally be "set up". Luckily, wattage works well. Splinter was kicking clouds at 45w.

Yeah this is weird you shouldn't have to do this, are you sure it's changing, and you're not just looking at live resistance? Because the resistance is always changing, depending on the warmth of the heater, that's why locking cold resistance for TCR is important (according to most people)

LooseCucumber

Yeah this is weird you shouldn't have to do this, are you sure it's changing, and you're not just looking at live resistance? Because the resistance is always changing, depending on the warmth of the heater, that's why locking cold resistance for TCR is important (according to most people)

I'm a 510 rookie, so there's much I don't know. But, I thought the unlocked resistance in wattage is a reflection of the live resistance?? Either way, wattage mode was a pleasant surprise after having not used it for over a month.
you don’t need a pc to adjust locked resistance on the device btw

hold left+fire or right+fire
Learned something new, thanks for that! I won't derail this thread but loving my Xtractor since your tips last month :rockon:

GoldenBud

TCR 125 or 145?
UnklMark's method is TCR 145 locked 0.12~ or 0.14~ or 0.16 below cold resistance (around 0.276) , i like it too this way with my Dual Evic mod
Many people use TCR 125 locked 0.255-0.265 or even 0.268 (goes pretty awesome with Rim-C mod)

usually with 45w or even 50w, depends who you ask

Last edited by a moderator:
GoldenBud,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Your mod doesn't measure temperature, it calculates something to display based on the resistance. If you don't lock it at the cold resistance, it will read the dynamic resistance and use that, but since this varies depending on temperature you want to lock it for consistency. It's possible some firmware tries to compensate for unlocked resistance but the bottom line is that it is an attempt for consistency in the displayed temperature, which might or might not be the actual temperature. (In my opinion, almost certainly it is not but opinons vary.)

In wattage mode, there is no such calculation and it doesn't matter if the resistance is locked or not.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Recently received a Lost Vape Therion DNA75C mod with a used US Custom Splinter Z. It’s loaded with profiles for the Z, but I have no desire to learn the DNA ecosystem as my plentiful AF/RP mods meet my needs just fine. This mod is beautiful, dual battery, real leather insert, good weight and hand feel. Considering using this DNA mod as a dedicated power/wattage mod for 510 vapes that are not AF/RP compatible. Anyone have a clue how to revert this mod back to factory settings? Is the Evolv Escribe software the place to start?

jasp3r

Recently received a Lost Vape Therion DNA75C mod with a used US Custom Splinter Z. It’s loaded with profiles for the Z, but I have no desire to learn the DNA ecosystem as my plentiful AF/RP mods meet my needs just fine. This mod is beautiful, dual battery, real leather insert, good weight and hand feel. Considering using this DNA mod as a dedicated power/wattage mod for 510 vapes that are not AF/RP compatible. Anyone have a clue how to revert this mod back to factory settings? Is the Evolv Escribe software the place to start?
Yup you can find some default profile online and reflash it using Evolv

Shit Snacks

Yeah it takes many taps with the DNA 75C, pretty tedious, I have my iheat set up on a nice one though and it performs very well... Using my splinters with Arctic Fox and Red Panda is so much nicer though it's true so I want to move the IH over I think, we'll see! One splinter Z is still on the big bronze DNA 250 and that one is a bit better to control though not great performance or economic

TCR 125 or 145?
UnklMark's method is TCR 145 locked 0.12~ or 0.14~ or 0.16 below cold resistance (around 0.276) , i like it too this way with my Dual Evic mod
Many people use TCR 125 locked 0.255-0.265 or even 0.268 (goes pretty awesome with Rim-C mod)

usually with 45w or even 50w, depends who you ask

I’ve been fiddling with TCR on my 85W with Splinter US Custom. Currently running TCR 88, .25 -.261 resistance, 53W and 387 temp.

Pretty nice though ramping it up to .261 made me combust for the first time.

I also have noticed something similar to the other user that I have to reset my resistance to .25 every so often because when cold it will drop down to .22 or .23 and it doesn’t function properly

4everpushingaboulder

I’ve been fiddling with TCR on my 85W with Splinter US Custom. Currently running TCR 88, .25 -.261 resistance, 53W and 387 temp.

Pretty nice though ramping it up to .261 made me combust for the first time.

I also have noticed something similar to the other user that I have to reset my resistance to .25 every so often because when cold it will drop down to .22 or .23 and it doesn’t function properly
Room temperature does impact ‘cold’ resistance as the mod is calculating how much temperature change occurs. If you are outside on a cold day you may need to drop resistance…or bump temp.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah it takes many taps with the DNA 75C, pretty tedious, I have my iheat set up on a nice one though and it performs very well... Using my splinters with Arctic Fox and Red Panda is so much nicer though it's true so I want to move the IH over I think, we'll see! One splinter Z is still on the big bronze DNA 250 and that one is a bit better to control though not great performance or economic
I still contend that my best combo by far in my Splinter family is my Canary US Custom Z on my Hcigar DNA 75C mod. The only changes I ever make with it are temp changes and I don't feel like it takes an inordinate number of taps to do that. My Splinter is on an RX 2/3 (that has never seen 3) and I use it happily in wattage mode just like a Milaana. I also have a ZV2 on a Drone DNA250 mod that rarely gets used and is my least favorite combo. I have never been satisfied by this Mod, but was never worth replacing for me...

Top Bottom