• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

purpletweed

Does anyone have advise for me? I want to fix the broken glass on my Splinter v2. I’m told the stems are 19/22 (mine has the smoke colored glass). So will the female 19/22 glass from a third party source like Mountain Glass work if cut and adhered? Has anyone actually done this and had success?
There's also this video, which may be helpful, from the RBT Open Source project:

Spelaeus

I may have an extra I believe from a broken unit. Pm me and I'll mail it out to you.
Thank you, man! Turns out I'm an even bigger doofus than I realized and I'd apparently given the screen to my girlfriend ages ago for safekeeping so it wouldn't be lost to my forgetfulness, but I forgot about it...

We're all good now. Really appreciate the offer, though!

Does anyone have advise for me? I want to fix the broken glass on my Splinter v2. I’m told the stems are 19/22 (mine has the smoke colored glass). So will the female 19/22 glass from a third party source like Mountain Glass work if cut and adhered? Has anyone actually done this and had success?
Yup, go with the 19/22 Chinese joints from Mountain Glass for the V2. The clear joint will fit better than the colored joints due to a slight difference in the shape of the lip on the glass. However, both are doable. You can see the Z v2 I just repaired with one of the amber glass joints. The lip sticks up a bit, which I kind of like the look of. The glass also doesn't fit quite as flush with the wood before gluing, which I'm hoping doesn't cause durability issues down the road. But if you're starting fresh and don't care about the color of the glass, I would definitely recommend the clear 19/22 joint for a better fit.

Edit to add image1105201306a_copy_1704x3024.jpg

Last edited:

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Hello all. I'm new here and slowly working my way through the helpful topics for the different devices I own, or will soon own. I received my first Splinter Z Custom today. First thing I noticed was how easy it is to remove the glass bowl. I always take care of my devices, and they always stay home. But if this bowl breaks, what options are out there for buying a replacement?

CanikUser19,
Reactions: arb

MikeRotchHertz

Hello all. I'm new here and slowly working my way through the helpful topics for the different devices I own, or will soon own. I received my first Splinter Z Custom today. First thing I noticed was how easy it is to remove the glass bowl. I always take care of my devices, and they always stay home. But if this bowl breaks, what options are out there for buying a replacement?
Are you saying the glass joint is separated from the wood lip? If so that's not uncommon but not supposed to happen either. I recommend getting a medical or at least food grade 2 part epoxy to adhere it back.

If you're saying the glass stem where the basket screen goes in, then you can fit any 19/22 stem in the custom Z

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Are you saying the glass joint is separated from the wood lip? If so that's not uncommon but not supposed to happen either. I recommend getting a medical or at least food grade 2 part epoxy to adhere it back.

If you're saying the glass stem where the basket screen goes in, then you can fit any 19/22 stem in the custom Z

Yeah sounds like they are asking about replacement stems, the glass stem is both your bowl and vapor path! since you have a splinter z custom, yeah any 19/22 stem will do and they can be found quite a few places now... Many styles to choose from!

badbee

But if this bowl breaks, what options are out there for buying a replacement?

You are good because the custom Z takes industry standard 19/22 stems. It's the non-custom units which are a challenge because they take a non-standard size 19/19.

badbee,

Shit Snacks

You are good because the custom Z takes industry standard 19/22 stems. It's the non-custom units which are a challenge because they take a non-standard size 19/19.

Yeah but don't forget that 19/26 is also an industry standard and that will definitely not fit a splinter z so you can't be totally open

Bluedawn

There's also this video, which may be helpful, from the RBT Open Source project:
Thanks a million

I have for a good number of units with the mountain glass Pm me and I can help talk you through it.
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Thank you, man! Turns out I'm an even bigger doofus than I realized and I'd apparently given the screen to my girlfriend ages ago for safekeeping so it wouldn't be lost to my forgetfulness, but I forgot about it...

We're all good now. Really appreciate the offer, though!

Yup, go with the 19/22 Chinese joints from Mountain Glass for the V2. The clear joint will fit better than the colored joints due to a slight difference in the shape of the lip on the glass. However, both are doable. You can see the Z v2 I just repaired with one of the amber glass joints. The lip sticks up a bit, which I kind of like the look of. The glass also doesn't fit quite as flush with the wood before gluing, which I'm hoping doesn't cause durability issues down the road. But if you're starting fresh and don't care about the color of the glass, I would definitely recommend the clear 19/22 joint for a better fit.

Edit to add imageView attachment 3530
That’s great advice. I’m going to order a few clear ones just in case I break one and see how it turns out.

Bluedawn,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock

Yes, the glass joint that is encased by the wood is what I am referring to. I received it in the mail today, brand new. When I took it out of the package to examine it, the glass joint (I referred to it as a bowl earlier, my first time handling a Splinter) slid right out as I took it out of the wrapping paper. I initially thought it was meant to come out, but after looking at it a little more, I could see that there was some dried adhesive residue, and realized that it should be securely attached to the wood. I have reached out to Vapefiend about it, hopefully I will hear back tomorrow.

CanikUser19,
  • Sad

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Follow up email from Vapefiend received this morning. After sending a confirmation pic of the damaged unit, they confirmed that a new unit will be sent out Monday morning. If I can figure out how to post a pic here I will do so.

Shit Snacks

Follow up email from Vapefiend received this morning. After sending a confirmation pic of the damaged unit, they confirmed that a new unit will be sent out Monday morning. If I can figure out how to post a pic here I will do so.

Great to hear, that's the result I was expecting from VF, and you should actually see about sending the broken one to Unkl Mark below so he can revive it for you too!

If anyone is looking for a V1 or V2, @Unklmark68 is selling

Yeah he is selling them with special colored 19/22 glass (from mountain glass website) since they all had arrived with cracked or defective glass like the above Canik got.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Splinter-ZCustom.jpg

Here's a pic of how the unit arrived. I looked at the YouTube video showing the repair process and it looks doable. Any suggestions on a few different acceptable adhesives to look for? Thanks all.

Spelaeus

MikeRotchHertz

Splinter-ZCustom.jpg

Here's a pic of how the unit arrived. I looked at the YouTube video showing the repair process and it looks doable. Any suggestions on a few different acceptable adhesives to look for? Thanks all.
Make sure you just put a thin bead on it. I use a toothpick to spread it evenly. A little goes a long ways. I repaired one where another person used too much and it didn't look safe so I had to toss the heater.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Make sure you just put a thin bead on it. I use a toothpick to spread it evenly. A little goes a long ways. I repaired one where another person used too much and it didn't look safe so I had to toss the heater.
Will do, thank you.

The Loctite product shown in the repair video on YouTube is a different product than the M-121 HP. Are these the same products but just different names, or totally different products?

CanikUser19,

MikeRotchHertz

The Loctite product shown in the repair video on YouTube is a different product than the M-121 HP. Are these the same products but just different names, or totally different products?
It was not me that posted the loctite; however, the difference is that one says suitable for medical devices and one does not. I would go with the medical device grade and even went with a slightly higher grade with mine.

It's technically not in the air pathway, but it could still off gas so I like the peace of mind. It's kind of expensive to just fix one, but that's your call.

Spelaeus

I took my info from a FAQ on the RBT website that was there before it went defunct. Copied/pasted from the original Splinter thread:

"Is adhesive used in RBT products and is it in the flow path?

Yes, Loctite® M-121HP™ Hysol® Medical Device Epoxy Adhesive (ISO 10993) is used to attach the rim of the heater glass to the wood. This is the coolest part of the heater glass and rarely does it reach over 150 degrees F which is well below the 300 F temperature limit of the this epoxy. The adhesive is not part of the primary flow path and has minimal exposed surfaces"

Consolidated21

Mediterranean
Hi guys and gals , does anyone know where I can find the glass joint -19/22- for my broken v2, in EU ?
Because from Mountain class and $50 shipping is no no...
20200225-180408.jpg
I have the Z and ofcourse i love it, but I wanna repair the v2 for some fast, quick hits.

Hippie

Not sure if they are exactly the same as the ones RBT uses but I've been using these for my DiY projects

Bluedawn

Has anyone used JB Weld to glue a splinter bowl back in? The medical glue is hard to get and JB is supposed to be pretty heat resistant. Not sure if there are any real dangers?

Bluedawn,
Top Bottom