Razors

shredder

I've been shaving 50 some years. I started with one of my fathers old safety razors. And that suited me for some years.

Then in my 20's when I started working on the road I went to disposables for convenience.

But lately no matter the brand or the number of blades they seem to dull super fast, and leave stubble. Was it me, or did the quality go down?

So now I've come full circle and bought a pricey German made double edge safety razor (mercur) and fancy Japanese blades (feather). Just got it all today.

Havnt shaved with it yet though. I'll try it later, I generally shower/shave in the later afternoon. Old habit.

What do y'all use? And do you like it?

shredder,

shredder

I haven’t shaved in nearly a decade. :lol:

I keep a fairly tidy beard, I like the Phillips OneBlade for all of my trimming needs. :brow:

Longest I had a beard was a couple weeks. Never got past the inching stage. Not a beard man I guess.

I have used my new razor now. It works wonderfully but I do need to use soap or a lubricant.

I just used shower water with disposables, but my new razor doesn't have a teflon lube bar like the disposables.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
For me, the key to a comfortable shave is not shaving very often. I got it down to twice a week when it used to be 5 days a week.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: shredder

beluga808

I'm using this safety razor from Mühle together with Astra Double Edge razors (pack of 100 is 8€). I like it a lot, because of several reasons. First of all it's better for the environment. I also like the feel to do a traditional shave (using shaving creme, brush, bowl etc). And in the long run it's much cheaper.

shredder

Switched from the Mach 3 series Gillette razors over to a straight razor w/disposable blades + soap + brush prob 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Even with hand tremors, using a straight razor isn't too difficult, gives a great shave, and is fun to do. Can't beat 500 blades for less then $20 too.

How long do the blades stay sharp? I take it no need for a strop with disposable blades?

shredder,

Farid

How long they last is very dependent on blade quality, and how you maintain them. Removing the blade to clean and dry helps a lot. Storing wet seems to reduce lifespan. Just be careful, since removing the blade greatly increases the risk of cutting your fingers - and those cuts can be very deep.

Dio

Sacraponator
I never had an issue with the Mach 3 system but when I saw these beautifull safety razors I got really curious.
So I went down the rabbit hole. Found out about all these different razors, blades, brushes, soaps, aftershaves etc. Love it!
Shaving has become a very enjoyable ritual instead of a chore.
I have lots of stuff but some of my favourite gear right now;

Safety razors:
Blackland Blackbird - Really effective in taking down 3 days growth.
Carbon Shaving CX 316L - Versatile by playing with the angle. Love the handle also.
Smart Helix Apollo - Beautifull razor from Kharkiv Ukraine. Somehow still available but for how long? Two levels of aggressiveness.
Henson AL13 - Very nice daily shaver made out of aluminum. Really lightweight and I think the easiest razor to use when coming from cardridges.

Blades:
Gillette Nacet
Astra Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless

Soap:
Noble Otter - Rawr
Noble Otter - Orbit
Razorock - Plaque Doctor

Aftershave:
Noble Otter - Rawr
Noble Otter - Orbit
Proraso Green
Denim Original
Floid Menthol Vigaroso
Extro Cosmesi Frarinik

Brush:
Proraso Boar
Razorock Barber Plissoft 24mm

Lots of stuff on my radar to try out still!

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
How long do the blades stay sharp? I take it no need for a strop with disposable blades?
I just use them for 1 shave each, probably a bit wasteful but I only shave once or twice a week so 500 blades lasts a long time. No need for a strop that way. I did pick up a medical sharps disposal container from Amazon to toss the blades into so they don't go into the trash and cut someone up. That was only a few bucks and will take the remainder of my life before it fills with old blades
Here's the blades and razor I've been using.

Razor + 100 blades for $13: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0118BJ0PA/ (this will last you a while at 1-2 shaves a week.)

500 Blades - $23: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JPYT3E/

Edit:

Here's a cheap sharps container too. $12 : https://smile.amazon.com/OakRidge-Products-Disposal-Container-Diabetics/dp/B01D9ASBKS
I keep my sharps container under the sink to toss the blades into. There's smaller ones on Amazon if this is too large. This will prob be the only one you ever need though lol

Last edited:
ProfessionalHandJob,

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
I have a case of feather blades (likely 10+ years worth) and a safety razor I bought in my early 20's. Used to faff about with the badger bristle brushes and use nice shaving creams. Now I just do a preshave with my clippers, hot shower to open up pores, lather with hand soap, and shave at diagonals.

Last edited:
Vehmic,

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I've been shaving 50 some years. I started with one of my fathers old safety razors. And that suited me for some years.

Then in my 20's when I started working on the road I went to disposables for convenience.

But lately no matter the brand or the number of blades they seem to dull super fast, and leave stubble. Was it me, or did the quality go down?

So now I've come full circle and bought a pricey German made double edge safety razor (mercur) and fancy Japanese blades (feather). Just got it all today.

Havnt shaved with it yet though. I'll try it later, I generally shower/shave in the later afternoon. Old habit.

What do y'all use? And do you like it?
I had a finicky skin regarding to shaving. So a good couple of years ago I rediscovered double edge safety razors and settled with a Merkur Futur. It is adjustable, but I only adjusted it in the beginning. Now it always stays at my sweet spot.

Since then I try to substantially diminish my stock of blades (not opportune to name my favourites over here at these times) with very little success.
I am quite proud though I managed to use up most of my soaps since then :nod:

My skin loves it and its great for longer stubbles too.

Shaving with a Gillette multi-blade now feels like shaving with sandpaper :lol:

Happy 420

Thick Vape,

Farid

I just use them for 1 shave each, probably a bit wasteful but I only shave once or twice a week so 500 blades lasts a long time.

I highly suggest you try using them at least once more before tossing. I honestly get a better shave on the second third and fourth use than the first, since there seems to be a sort of break in that happens. And I'm not just saying that for environmental reasons or anything.

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
I highly suggest you try using them at least once more before tossing. I honestly get a better shave on the second third and fourth use than the first, since there seems to be a sort of break in that happens. And I'm not just saying that for environmental reasons or anything.
I’ll give that a shot. Appreciate the tip!

ProfessionalHandJob,

Knewt

Shaving used to give me a rash, then 40 years ago I quit shaving and no more rash. It's not the fear of the rash that keeps me from shaving now, it the fear of what the face under the beard might look like.

Dio

Sacraponator
True. Because of the protective coating the blade will be a bit duller. When this wears of after a shave the blade will become a bit sharper.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I started using a safety razor with shave soap, brush, etc. a few years ago and I like it. I've never used a straight razor, but I've always wanted to graduate to one.

Top Bottom