• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Quitting vaping coz of throat irritation

medically420

check out leafscience web site and article on making an asthma inhaler using cannabis molecules. they found out that the size of the cannabis molecule irritates the throats of users( even the decarboxylyzed form of the molecule). it is a known problem....

I'm a severe asthmatic, and would be very interested in the development of this. There's scientific evidence that cannabis herb acts as a bronchodilator all over the internet, but solid concrete evidence of the best type of method used has yet to be found.

I've scoured through this whole website on everything asthma related and haven't really found much either. I'm just hoping someone has a solution.

medically420,
Reactions: C No Ego

natural farmer

Of I do not vape in a week my throat goes back to normal... As I said I tried everything: perc, water tools, low and high temp, micro and large dosage... Plenty, Mighty, Pax, Volcano, Vrip, plus other... All of them have affected me sooner or later

Hey, interesting thread you 've got going on here... :)

I have been fighting throat irritation for 5 years now since I started vaping. I think it is the main reason that I keep searching for the perfect vape and don't keep any in the collection. Only the smoothest will remain. :p To this day the only vapes that I find bareable in the long run are the ones with very closed airflow, more closed than the Solo, that force me to use mouth puffs. PAX for instance, although I have settled with a Vapcap in which I opened the airflow just a bit to allow for comfortable mouth puffs (it was too closed in the beginning).

With mouth puffs the hot vapor doesn't hit me straight at the back of my throat like most vaporizers, I just fill the mouth cavity and between pulls I open the lips a little bit and get some fresh air in to comfortably move the hot vapor down the throat. Depending on your lungs and how much you fill your mouth with vapor you might go with one or even 7-8 such pulls for one hit, possibly resulting in a huge hit with less irritation than using the best bubbler out there... It mighy take a little to get used to take mouth puffs, it doesn't come natural to everyone, but once you figure it out, oh my... :science: :drool:

Good luck man! Tools + technic= results... :tup:

Last edited:

Tommy10

Vapcap makes me cough, solo makes me cough, HA whip makes me cough. I find I go best with bags (don't do them often) and big hit Vapor bongs, I find session style vaping increases the coughing. Doesn't bother me too much, as I don't mind a bit of a cough but I could see how more intense coughing fits (been there at times) as a regular thing would be enough to have to re think things!

Tommy10,

organic weed

Thanxs everybody for the suggestions... Almost 1.5 months weed free and all issues are gone. My longing for weed is slowly disappearing... Who knows maybe one day, when science and technology will be at a better stage on this, I'll come back. For the moment I'm just planning to get an Evergreen bottle and maybe do some minor quantities of tinctures to use only and strictly for medical purpose: headache, stress, insomnia, etc... If I look back, weed it is a positive force but I am very happy not to have to deal with my issues... By reflecting with a clear mind, for those who do not have any serious chronic issue, I think weed should be used very lightly and responsibly. Grass offers a lot of space for abuse, simply because it is a great substance. The trick is to find the right balance in terms of dosage, frequency of use and intake method. I also think we are very far away from knowing the inside outs of our favorite plant and if I analyze my 1.5 years of use, I definitely say it is easy to abuse it and with abuse comes also consequences. After 1.5 month I do not have much longings anymore and when I have, I simply try not to think about it and everything goes back to normal. For sure it's a much easier substance to control but I really believe that science owes us a lot of answers to help our community use it safely and responsibly... It will take some time before I'll consumee my first tincture and I'll make sure to put strict rules when I'll do that until when science will give us definite answers. I think it shouldn't take more than 5 years after being rescheduled to get the first scientific findings supported by the science community--- today we have too much scattering and bipolar opinions that really makes it difficult to develop a clear opinion about it, plus my experience definitely tells me that even if vapor does not have toxins, in my case the physical irritation on my throat was definitely a concern that I am very happy not to worry about anymore... Living with doubts on possible troublesome behavior could be a little bit like gambling, maybe I may be wrong here or exaggerating but that's how I felt and that's why I quit vaping also...

Last edited:

biohacker

Thanks for coming back and sharing OW. Like you i'm nearly at the 1.5 month mark of no cannabis, and although it hasn't been easy (insomnia and mood) i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I agree with everything in your post, and although I don't have the pulmonary irritation and throat issues like you, it has definitely negatively impacted my mental health and sleep architecture and quality. I'm finally getting the REM sleep my brain needs, and thus a flood of dreams which I haven't had in ages. It's all about finding the right balance, as everyone is different and has different needs. I don't crave vaping whatsoever, but the fallout after 10 years of abuse has been an eye opener. Good on ya for figuring things out! Sobriety definitely is a high in itself, which is easy to forget when one is constantly living in a vapour cloud.

manuel_calavera

Hi @organic weed

Let me chime in here.

I am really feeling with you, since I've been going through the same kind of issues like you have described.
I've found one thing that really helped me here like nothing else .

It's called "Emser Salz " , a product from Germany.
This is salt from a mineral source in Bad Ems , Germany .

They are offering various products from this salt - spray for the throat, nose sprays, pastilles, etc.
It's purpose is mainly in moisturing the mucous membranes. It's a natural expectorant and as I said. This salt really changed everything for me.

I have to admit, my throat / respiratory feels irritated from time to time though, mostly it's a combination of several things - dry vapor, hay fever / pollen in the air / even very hot food can cause mz throat to be irritated.

I try to vape a little less on these days and treat my throat with the spray, drink a lot of water/ tea, etc.

Maybe you want to give it a try, for me , this is the best product so far when it comes to treat throat / membranes issues .

Best of luck!

Edit: I know that MY throat is not like yours and only because this has helped me doesn't mean that it will for you as well. I am aware , but at least I think it shouldn't be left unmentioned here ;-)
Hi,
I encountered this topic while searching for throat irritation due to vaping. Thanks all for the helpful insights. My throat irritation, also some upper lung irritation, started to be a real problem now. I am vaping everyday since 1-1.5 years.

I also used Emser Salz but only for my nose. I got a nose cleaning kit(like those netty pots) and used it with Emser Salz. I got less problem with my nose now, after vaping, less clogged nose and more relieved breathing. Especially when I go to sleep after a session. It also helps with my allergy. I tried to do the cleaning with normal table salt but it was too harsh. If you can find a mild salt I guess it also can do the job.

I didn't know that they also had a throat spray I just ordered it(along with some throat pastilles) and will try. I hope it helps.

manuel_calavera,

ginolicious

Might not be a full goodbye. You may just need a break. And then can come back. I know I have done that for years.

ginolicious,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Hi,
I encountered this topic while searching for throat irritation due to vaping. Thanks all for the helpful insights. My throat irritation, also some upper lung irritation, started to be a real problem now. I am vaping everyday since 1-1.5 years.

I also used Emser Salz but only for my nose. I got a nose cleaning kit(like those netty pots) and used it with Emser Salz. I got less problem with my nose now, after vaping, less clogged nose and more relieved breathing. Especially when I go to sleep after a session. It also helps with my allergy. I tried to do the cleaning with normal table salt but it was too harsh. If you can find a mild salt I guess it also can do the job.

I didn't know that they also had a throat spray I just ordered it(along with some throat pastilles) and will try. I hope it helps.

There are lots of potential factors that can contribute to throat irritation.

A good OTC sodium chloride (NA) might help, changing the source of your herb is another. And, interestingly, many folks find that modifying their inhalation methods and techniques can also help alleviate throat irritation, which includes dabbing and/or water cooling, as I think someone may have already mentioned.

Good luck!

Fat Freddy,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Do you use water filtration ? I get irritated throat from dry sessions,i can handle one,but two in a row is knife in the windpipe .. Use himalayan salt for garge,i use very salty solutions. I have a nose spray with it too.. which i make myself.The nose solution shouldnt be more than 1-3% ,if you like to squirt in your nose frequently,i suggest start at 1% work your way up,if you get a nose itch,it is too salty for you. The gargle can be as salty as you can handle, i just put 3 spoons in a glass and give it a whirl,try not to swallow,but if you do,it is just salt after all,but take it easy on salt trought the rest of the day to keep the GDA in norm. If throats get too dry, have some honey and lemon in mint/lavender/oregano tea.
Other than that,you can get a throat/neck removable surgery and they can fix your head straight to your shoulders,no neck ,no problem. :D
Careful with Netty pots,you can get water in your middle ear trough your nose,and hear it splashing on every step you make and when you chew.. it is maddening for some people.

Last edited:

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I suffer from various forms of irritation too. My vape of choice for the past 2 months has been New Vapes FlowerPot Vrod. For a long while (about a year) I was under the my personal impression that micro dosing at low temps was the best for me. This method had me sucking tons of hot air mixed with a little vapor. Not good for my respiratory system. I now pack .1g bowls which .05g is cbd flower. CBD seems to help with the harshness of vaping THC. I also have bumped my temps up to where vaporization is instant and thick and the size of the hit is very controllable. I usually sip the spoils slowly from my piece rather than clearing it in one big inhale. I’ve also noticed that draw restriction helps minimize my irritation. I’m guessing this has to do with restricting the amount of hot air passing over the herbs which ultimately hits my lungs. I love convection vapes but I have to be careful with them. A big rip off something like like a Milaana can really set me back if I’m not careful. Lastly, though less satisfying, conduction vapes offer some relief as I find them less irritating. Again, I attribute this to more draw restriction and less hot air hitting the lungs.

Currently Im feeling pretty good. Im still getting some mucus production in the throat followed by a bit of a dry feeling but it’s minimal. My lungs feel a bit sticky and my tolerance is through the roof. Probably time for a break😞

Please don’t take this as advice. These are my personal experiences I wanted to share.

LabPong

This is an important thread to me......i wish I found it years ago...like July, 2017 when I gave up fire and got a air and vapcap to change my problems medicating. Hope many with problems can use this to help each other out.

I have a sensitive mouth, throat, and lungs. I find the NewVape products to hurt my throat because of the huge metal heat source. I try to use vapes that incorporate as much glass as possible in the heater, bowl, and crucial parts of the extraction path.

My hard hitting smoother dry herb vapes are:

Elev8r with either coil or torch
G43- all forms
Arizers with wpa into rigs
Lotus with a custom RBT short stem wpa/bowl.

Finding clean organic grown flower is helpful hear as well, or growing your own!

But in general for those with irritation/harshness vapor problems, My concentrate vapes are much less hot/harsh on my throat.

710 25mm Deep dish banger setup ( i like low temp dabbing and set my pid to 330-440F)
BB9 with Ti tip and a steel metal concentrate pad formed to fill 80% of the tip chamber.

I use as much solventless full melt concentrates and they are by far the least irritable to vape. And as always, I use water 90% of the vapes I use. FF2's and my vapcap concentrate setup are the only I can draw directly off from. I could do a MV1....but it was harsh after the first bowl for me.

Hope this helps some that are having issues with sort throats and the like.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
This is an important thread to me......i wish I found it years ago...like July, 2017 when I gave up fire and got a air and vapcap to change my problems medicating. Hope many with problems can use this to help each other out.

I have a sensitive mouth, throat, and lungs. I find the NewVape products to hurt my throat because of the huge metal heat source. I try to use vapes that incorporate as much glass as possible in the heater, bowl, and crucial parts of the extraction path.

My hard hitting smoother dry herb vapes are:

Elev8r with either coil or torch
G43- all forms
Arizers with wpa into rigs
Lotus with a custom RBT short stem wpa/bowl.

Finding clean organic grown flower is helpful hear as well, or growing your own!

But in general for those with irritation/harshness vapor problems, My concentrate vapes are much less hot/harsh on my throat.

710 25mm Deep dish banger setup ( i like low temp dabbing and set my pid to 330-440F)
BB9 with Ti tip and a steel metal concentrate pad formed to fill 80% of the tip chamber.

I use as much solventless full melt concentrates and they are by far the least irritable to vape. And as always, I use water 90% of the vapes I use. FF2's and my vapcap concentrate setup are the only I can draw directly off from. I could do a MV1....but it was harsh after the first bowl for me.

Hope this helps some that are having issues with sort throats and the like.
I still am dealing with similar issues, though in a non defensive way, I don’t blame the FlowerPot. I mainly use the VRod. I think it’s ability to be tailored to the users needs is where it shines. High temps don’t agree with me so being able to customize my FP set up to suit my needs is why I’ve enjoyed it so much. Now that I’ve had my temps consistent for some time now it’s allowed me to focus in on some of my other symptoms. What I am starting to realize is that vaporizing cannabis is the same as sniffing a flower and inhaling a bunch of pollen. A dry itchy throat and post nasal drip is usually what follows next. I’ve found that mixing in cbd isolates help but concentrates seem to be my ticket to relief. Like you said low temp.

The Stray Fox,
Reactions: JCat

GoldenBud

@LabPong yo, intersting topic.. but.. you mean like.. grow your own ... feed it right, and are there any tips? like, feed the girls 1-2 weeks before harvest time? is it matter? or only water? i find also very clean material gives me the throat irritation. ofc, using water so it is not too bad in most cases... but... i think when the girls are not feeded it may feel cleaner. dunno why

GoldenBud,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

@LabPong yo, intersting topic.. but.. you mean like.. grow your own ... feed it right, and are there any tips? like, feed the girls 1-2 weeks before harvest time? is it matter? or only water? i find also very clean material gives me the throat irritation. ofc, using water so it is not too bad in most cases... but... i think when the girls are not feeded it may feel cleaner. dunno why

It's always a good idea to stop feeding plants before harvest. But that in itself won't cure anything. It speaks to the fertilizer still in the buds.

For a simple unscientific test inhale your vapor through a tissue using your devices. This will give you an idea of particulates in the vapor.

Exhaling through a tissue and comparing with the inhale tissue will give you an idea of what stayed in your body.

This simple test can be an eye opener. I believe in my case the particulates in the vapor cause me irritation and concentrate vapor has less particulates. It may be that simple.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Harshness and irritation from vaping is often perceived as vape X being "hotter" than vape Y.
But we know the airstream can never be significantly hotter on any vaporizer, or else the flower would simply combust.

IME - The materials used to construct the vaporizer, and the way a vaporizer is heated, AND the way the flower is heated, have a significant impact on vapor smoothness.

:2c:

GoldenBud

Harshness and irritation from vaping is often perceived as vape X being "hotter" than vape Y.
But we know the airstream can never be significantly hotter on any vaporizer, or else the flower would simply combust.

IME - The materials used to construct the vaporizer, and the way a vaporizer is heated, AND the way the flower is heated, have a significant impact on vapor smoothness.

:2c:
Standing up while taking a draw - helping the lungs? you can open your chest better? if it's even related.... lol

LabPong

As a home grower......I do not feel feed amounts will affect the smoothness of my flower.......only types of feeds and other things you put in/on the plants through its grow process. For example I do not use any pesticides/neems.

For me, I can sense heater/oven materials easily. With Ti...I can sense it easily in the NV stuff or a dynavap even.

This is why for me, the problem is with specific materials as invertedisdead pointed out. And why I go with vapes that have less metal in the heater/oven.

tokenknifeguy

Anyone else find the harshness from the different materials used in the vape? It seems like I'm very sensitive to these things and notice a difference (basically added harshness) from using metal to glass vapes. The Dynavap is a good example, as the older 2018M and the one before that one really was harsh on my throat, no matter what I did. Small hit, big hit, less heat time, etc, didn't matter. I really think it is the metal, and the newer 2020 M does it too but not as bad it seems so far (haven't had it too long yet). Glass wouldn't be as bad at all. But I did notice it with my metal screens when using glass, as I did have one stem with a glass screen so that is how I noticed it, as that was the least harshest out of all I've used.

Also I got a Sai for concentrates and I've heard many say how the quartz coils hits you in the throat and the ceramic hits you more in the lungs (or something like that), and I did find this true too. So I'm sure the material plays a bigger role in the throat irritation than what most suspect. But yeah I agree that vaping, which is supposed to be the better option than smoking, still causes throat irritation for me, though not as bad (generally).

rasmundi

I think a lot of the problem is positional. When you smoke a joint, your chin is up, which keeps the throat open fully. Most dab rigs need to be below your chin, which means chin to chest, a pinched throat opening, and the channeling of the hot corrosive vapor over the same small spot continuously. and there's your irritation.

Set your rig so you're chin up, use a mirror to drop your dab...

Vaporware

I think a lot of the problem is positional. When you smoke a joint, your chin is up, which keeps the throat open fully. Most dab rigs need to be below your chin, which means chin to chest, a pinched throat opening, and the channeling of the hot corrosive vapor over the same small spot continuously. and there's your irritation.

Set your rig so you're chin up, use a mirror to drop your dab...

That makes a lot of sense to me. I have noticed for a long time that the more closed my throat is when exhaling, the more irritation I feel and the more likely I am to cough.

Why wouldn’t it be an issue on the way in too?

Vaporware,
Top Bottom