Questions and help after 24hrs using my Pinky

sefdenrat

I am a pretty new vaper, normally a large bong rip type of guy, so I built a Pinky to see how I liked it. I have some questions specifically around ball vape + bong. :
  • What is with the stinky whitish res when vaping through water?
  • Why does it smell grosser than smoking?
  • Is it wasteful or efficient to vape a bowl to a dark brown in one rip?
  • Why don’t I get the same flavour on exhale as I do when smoking?
  • Should I leave my enail on all day or keep turning it on and off?
  • What’s the real difference of 3mm rubies vs 4mm quartz balls (for example)?
  • Are water pieces with more drag better for using with a ball vape?
My goal is getting face-melting large rips on demand, any help or advice is welcome!

Thanks for your help!

sefdenrat,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Vaporware

I hope someone who has a Pinky will respond, but I wanted to ask you first, where did you get the housing and does it flake or smell bad or anything?

Someone else in the Pinky thread had similar complaints (an experienced vaporist) and I suspect that part could be a low quality knockoff rather than what most people are using.

If you don’t think you have a bad part, have you tried turning the temp down? If it still smells/tastes bad at that point I’d really lean toward some part being dirty or just not good at all.

Vapor should smell and taste like heated flower, which it is…it can taste like burnt popcorn when it’s close to done or overcooked, but if it tastes really bad either you’re burning it or you’re getting something else mixed in.

Also, while you might want to wait until you see whether or not you’ve got anything questionable in your vapor, if you breathe any of the vapor out through your nose you’ll probably smell/taste it a lot more.

I wouldn’t breathe it all out that way all the time because it might irritate your sinuses or something, but if you’re having trouble detecting the smell/taste even a little of that should help you find it.

sefdenrat

I hope someone who has a Pinky will respond, but I wanted to ask you first, where did you get the housing and does it flake or smell bad or anything?

Someone else in the Pinky thread had similar complaints (an experienced vaporist) and I suspect that part could be a low quality knockoff rather than what most people are using.

If you don’t think you have a bad part, have you tried turning the temp down? If it still smells/tastes bad at that point I’d really lean toward some part being dirty or just not good at all.

Vapor should smell and taste like heated flower, which it is…it can taste like burnt popcorn when it’s close to done or overcooked, but if it tastes really bad either you’re burning it or you’re getting something else mixed in.
I got the housing on Amazon, no reason to think it’s any different than the one suggested. It doesn’t flake off or smell and it changes colour like expected. Came in a plain white boxed 10 pack. I am pretty confident I’m not getting anything extra in with my vapour - when I’m referring to the bad smell, I mean specifically the bong water smells worse than when smoking. It doesn’t turn yellow like smoking, but it smells nasty and gets some whitish yellow res around where the water moves around. Is that normal?

sefdenrat,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Vaporware

What does it smell like? Mine smells maybe something like the water from a vase that had flowers in it if I don’t clean it for a while, but nothing that I’d think was worse than smoking…

If you’re extracting a lot fast you can certainly get some condensation on your glass or even possibly in the water, but I don’t think it smells too bad. In fact some people “reclaim” it and use it again.

There are plenty of cheap knockoffs and counterfeit products on amazon in some categories (18650 batteries for example may or may not be counterfeits), but if you’re pretty sure what you’ve got is good here’s what I’d try:

Clean your glass, turn the temp down until you don’t get much vapor (then slowly raise it until you get the taste and extraction speed you want), lift the Pinky off the bowl early so you can clear the vapor and breathe in some more vaporless air at the end if you’re not already doing that.

If you have all good clean parts then my guess is you’re just using too high a temp to get good flavor.

badbee

@sefdenrat , I don't have a Pinky but have a few comparable home made and modified desk tops. Vaping tastes and smells different from smoking and it takes some getting used to. The reclaim from smoking contains smoke particles which makes it yellow, vaping reclaim contains only THC and other volatile oils and lipids that have condensed, it has almost no color. You can't really recover reclaim from water but vape reclaim from dry stems is very pure. Regarding the smell, I don't know, maybe it's just you ;)

It won't hurt an enail to stay on for long periods but there is a safety issue. It's a good idea to turn it off at night. Rubies have 4x the heat retention capability of boro glass so they take a little longer to get up to temp but are slower to cool off while hitting leading to potentially stronger, longer hits. Going with 3mm or 4mm is a matter of preference, 3 mm will typically allow you to pack more in giving you more retained heat, 4 mm will give a more open free flowing air path. This is all highly subjective.

VincentTheHealer

I am a pretty new vaper, normally a large bong rip type of guy, so I built a Pinky to see how I liked it. I have some questions specifically around ball vape + bong. :

Thanks for your help!
  • What is with the stinky whitish res when vaping through water?
    • It's reclaim, thc that has been vaporized, transformed into aerosols, cooled down can stuck to glass or float in the water. It doesn't smell to good, I would agree, but it's nothing worrying.
  • Why does it smell grosser than smoking?
    • Another user in the Pinky thread complained the same, but de assembled his unit before we could investigate further, I'd suggest to look at his posts maybe you would relate. As someone else mentioned as well, you may using temps that are too high, it can smell toasted, burn it shouldn't smell burnt.
  • Is it wasteful or efficient to vape a bowl to a dark brown in one rip?
    • Efficiency is somewhat suggestive as it could mean time efficient, quantity efficient or even a balance of multiple factors of efficiency. I think the Pinky uses a lot of herb, so it's not efficient in that sense, but it is certainly very efficient at vaping this large amount in very little amount of time.
  • Why don’t I get the same flavour on exhale as I do when smoking?
    • I think that's a matter of habit and breathing speed. Vapor is less dense than smoke so that could be it. It also could be that smoke taste a lot stronger than vapor so in a few week you might combust again and think the taste is "too intense", another theory.
  • Should I leave my enail on all day or keep turning it on and off?
    • You can, I leave mine turned on for multiple hours at a time, but keep in mind it's a pretty big fire hazard and will affect your powerbill somewhat.
  • What’s the real difference of 3mm rubies vs 4mm quartz balls (for example)?
    • The space between the beads can allow more or less airflow, more surface area for the air to get in contact to; heat retention (bigger longer to heat, but stay hot longer). It's another personal preference.
  • Are water pieces with more drag better for using with a ball vape?
    • I use my pieces without water to get the less drag possible, but I don't think they are objectively better piece.

Top Bottom