Discontinued Purrl by purrl labs

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Yeah I dont want any glue in my
Vape. Heat safe or not.
Yeah, I cringed when I saw that in the article. We don't use any glue. We use a ceramic inorganic compound rated for very high temperatures. According to the manufacturer, the product forms a "temperature stable composite...bound within a glassy silicate matrix." We are obsessively committed to keeping the air/vapor pathway as pure and uncontaminated as we possibly can.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yeah, I cringed when I saw that in the article. We don't use any glue. We use a ceramic inorganic compound rated for very high temperatures. According to the manufacturer, the product forms a "temperature stable composite...bound within a glassy silicate matrix." We are obsessively committed to keeping the air/vapor pathway as pure and uncontaminated as we possibly can.

That sounds a lot better to me. Makes me interested now. I would suggest to maybe reword the faq on your website because it says “silica adhesive” which to me just sounds like glue but the way you just described it sounds a lot better and safer

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
That sounds a lot better to me. Makes me interested now. I would suggest to maybe reword the faq on your website because it says “silica adhesive” which to me just sounds like glue but the way you just described it sounds a lot better and safer

Good point! We're in the process of revamping our website and we'll adjust the language. I appreciate the feedback!

Black_Prrl,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey, all! We've been getting great feedback on the Ember and are making some improvements and pivots based on what we've heard.

After putting considerable time into our own battery design and manufacturing, we've decided that that approach will take longer than we want. Many folks have asked for just the atomizer so that they can attach it to they own mods. Rather than stick with wood, which (while beautiful) has it's own manufacturing issues as well as imparting a slight wood taste, we're going full ceramic and quartz.

Here's a draft rendering of the Neo--the atomizer-only design. https://imgur.com/a/JJnDWJo

It'll come in both vertical and horizontal models so that folks have a choice as to how they will attach it to their own mod. I prefer horizontal, but Josh prefers vertical. So, we thought that we'd let the market decide since we can't. :-)

Our first test prototypes should be ready by next week. We'll try to be better at keeping y'all updated! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts...

-Mark

strech

Interesting....

I do like how your moving away from wood. That is one complaint my wife has whenever I show her a new vape.

strech,

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hey, all! We've been getting great feedback on the Ember and are making some improvements and pivots based on what we've heard.

After putting considerable time into our own battery design and manufacturing, we've decided that that approach will take longer than we want. Many folks have asked for just the atomizer so that they can attach it to they own mods. Rather than stick with wood, which (while beautiful) has it's own manufacturing issues as well as imparting a slight wood taste, we're going full ceramic and quartz.

Here's a draft rendering of the Neo--the atomizer-only design.
It'll come in both vertical and horizontal models so that folks have a choice as to how they will attach it to their own mod. I prefer horizontal, but Josh prefers vertical. So, we thought that we'd let the market decide since we can't. :-)

Our first test prototypes should be ready by next week. We'll try to be better at keeping y'all updated! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts...

-Mark
what is the coil made from?

arb,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
what is the coil made from?

Hi! The coil is made from a special super alloy used in some rocket engines and jets. It is extremely corrosion resistant and can withstand thousands of thermal cycles with no noticeable degradation. We researched and tested most of the current wires used in the DIY e-cig (kanthal, stainless, titanium, etc.) and they all off gas and break down over time.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hi! The coil is made from a special super alloy used in some rocket engines and jets. It is extremely corrosion resistant and can withstand thousands of thermal cycles with no noticeable degradation. We researched and tested most of the current wires used in the DIY e-cig (kanthal, stainless, titanium, etc.) and they all off gas and break down over time.
What alloy is it exactly?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
We researched and tested most of the current wires used in the DIY e-cig (kanthal, stainless, titanium, etc.) and they all off gas and break down over time.

Well that's certainly something our community as a whole would like to know. Strong claims require strong evidence, so if you are implying nearly all the devices we collectively use are unsafe in some way, this has potentially far reaching consequences.

What were your test conditions and what kind of wire gauge are we talking about here?

The fact small gauge wires bathing in e-liquid do deteriorate over time, especially when not running in TC mode and exceeding the material safe usage range has been known for some time. Now thick enough heaters operating inside air with proper temperature regulation, that would be something new.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Am I to assume you are unwilling to share this information?
I ask because I will be inhaling through this device.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey! I'm really not trying to be coy or dance around the topic... just trying to protect our IP and keep investors from freaking out. I completely understand why you care so much about knowing, and assure you that we care deeply, too. It bothered the shit out of me to see the coil degradation with some metals we tested and to imagine that getting in my lungs. I can tell you that the alloy is manufactured in the US, not Asia, and is in the same family as Inconel.

@Abysmal Vapor, I'd love to hear more about Zirconium wire...we'd be happy to upgrade if we find something better!

btw, sorry that it took so long to reply... I don't seem to get updates when someone posts here. I probably f-d up the settings.

Interesting....

I do like how your moving away from wood. That is one complaint my wife has whenever I show her a new vape.
Thanks! Our first ceramic zirconia prototypes finally arrived two weeks ... they are sleek and produce super clean vapor, and are indestructible! It's not as insulating as wood, so the atomizer gets a bit warm if you're sharing it with others during a session. Not exceeding a hot coffee mug. The positive side is that you get great vapor at lower wattages, without the bite that can happen at higher temps. I'll post some images once my account gets approved for that.

strech

Thanks! Our first ceramic zirconia prototypes finally arrived two weeks ... they are sleek and produce super clean vapor, and are indestructible! It's not as insulating as wood, so the atomizer gets a bit warm if you're sharing it with others during a session. Not exceeding a hot coffee mug. The positive side is that you get great vapor at lower wattages, without the bite that can happen at higher temps. I'll post some images once my account gets approved for that.
Will be watching and following along!

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hey! I'm really not trying to be coy or dance around the topic... just trying to protect our IP and keep investors from freaking out. I completely understand why you care so much about knowing, and assure you that we care deeply, too. It bothered the shit out of me to see the coil degradation with some metals we tested and to imagine that getting in my lungs. I can tell you that the alloy is manufactured in the US, not Asia, and is in the same family as Inconel.

@Abysmal Vapor, I'd love to hear more about Zirconium wire...we'd be happy to upgrade if we find something better!

btw, sorry that it took so long to reply... I don't seem to get updates when someone posts here. I probably f-d up the settings.

Yet dance around a straight answer is just what you continue to do.
Good luck on your future endeavors.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey, all! I'm going to start a new thread for the Neo, but I thought that I'd post a couple of pics here first... We were delighted to discover that ceramic zirconia is partially translucent. We're pretty mesmerized by the glow when using it--especially in evening light.

Attachments

• Neo-9161.jpg
    Neo-9161.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Neo-9116.jpg
    Neo-9116.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Neo with Hemson (sm).jpg
    Neo with Hemson (sm).jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 48

Woodisgood

This is a really interesting idea!

How possible would it be to keep within a target temperature range using this device, such below 200 degrees celsius?

Woodisgood,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
This is a really interesting idea!

How possible would it be to keep within a target temperature range using this device, such below 200 degrees celsius?
Great question! The bottom line is "using your breath."

The temperature of the air for any convection-based vaporizer generally depends on how much power is being supplied and how much airflow there is. High power + low airflow volume = high temp. Low power + high airflow = low temp. Many of the high-production vaporizers on the market claim to be able to accurately control the temperature--a claim that really only works until someone begins to inhale. I also wonder where/if they are actually measuring the temp... do they really mean the temp of the air? the temp of your herb? the temp of the chamber walls? the temp of their coil? etc. With some exceptions, it appears that most actually just infer the temp from the resistance of the coil and then provide an educated guess as to what the temp of the air is.

With very little practice, the Neo/Ember enables you to vapor surf using just your breath. You set the power to the level that matches your style of inhaling and the kind of vapor you desire. It quickly becomes second nature to monitor the vapor taste and density through "mouth feel" and adjust your breath accordingly.

arb

Semi shaved ape

The temperature of the air for any convection-based vaporizer generally depends on how much power is being supplied and how much airflow there is. High power + low airflow volume = high temp. Low power + high airflow = low temp. Many of the high-production vaporizers on the market claim to be able to accurately control the temperature--a claim that really only works until someone begins to inhale. I also wonder where/if they are actually measuring the temp... do they really mean the temp of the air? the temp of your herb? the temp of the chamber walls? the temp of their coil? etc. With some exceptions, it appears that most actually just infer the temp from the resistance of the coil and then provide an educated guess as to what the temp of the air is.

With very little practice, the Neo/Ember enables you to vapor surf using just your breath. You set the power to the level that matches your style of inhaling and the kind of vapor you desire. It quickly becomes second nature to monitor the vapor taste and density through "mouth feel" and adjust your breath accordingly.
What does the heating element and airpath consist of?
😂

arb,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hey, all! I'm going to start a new thread for the Neo, but I thought that I'd post a couple of pics here first... We were delighted to discover that ceramic zirconia is partially translucent. We're pretty mesmerized by the glow when using it--especially in evening light.
That's great! Actually I'm digging old wood pipes, I had hard times to remove the tobacco stain but, now, the tobacco taste was mostly removed.

I didn't found any electrical vape which fits that pipe sadly. Although I got great results using the elev8r heater+torch and decent results using a old cheapo carb cap which came with a chinese quartz/boro nail, it looks like a bigger Vapocane.

The Neo looks great but I can't wait to see the Black Prrl released... it definitively looks better, a vape ball!

Woodisgood

Thanks for the explanation, it sounds like a promising project that allows for a lot of flexibility in how users choose to work with it. I've entered the raffle! :)

Top Bottom