• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Puffco Proxy

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This makes sense to me. If you're used to water cooled dabs, it can be a bit shocking how good a dry dab can taste. The Proxy isn't exactly a radical concept. It's a crucible wax pen with a long stem for the vapor path. I've been vaping that way for years. Puffco just put that concept in a small, fashionable, easy to use package.

It’s a smart move for Puffco because if you run your peak with no water you’ll get made fun of on Reddit (seen it a bunch of times) so this allows them to offer essentially the same thing, without the social stigma.

I would expect it to be a hit just because Puffco has mass appeal, probably the most well known brand in the vape industry right now. They were even able to sell that plastic water bottle bong.

Another interesting point is FC is all about cooling stems lately but here’s an example of taking away some cooling and people enjoying the result.

@invertedisdead kind of demonstrated this whole concept a while back. He connected a glass tube to a rosin cart. I'm pretty sure he called it an "e-rig killer". Same sort of concept as the Proxy. Small heater connected to a longer vapor path= comfortable, terpy vapor

I’m calling that one “PenDaBong” 😁😁
It’s definitely an e-rig killer as it’s true on-demand, with no loading, cleaning, or maintenance. IMHO it’s actually the closest thing to an “end game” of any device. The instant satisfaction is hard to compete with. It’s the only vape I’ve used that’s truly as fast/effortless as smoking a bowl but with fantastic vapor quality.

Petetbay

Talk about pricey I see the full retail price in Canada though not in stock, $389CDN. I paid $400CDN for my Peak Pro on sale. I’m afraid until there’s a reasonable price on sale in the future, I can’t see ever buying one of these.

Also not in stock $360CDN at PlanetHaze. Duh.

Last edited:

Petetbay

Would like to see some glass that incorporates some cooling that would resemble a light-bulb,
Funny you would ask for that, I have tried something like that for my Peak Pro when running it dry. I use Sneaky Pete’s Spiky Wet Winder Stem for Dynavap into his 14mm Peak Pro Lifeline adapter. Have glass whip mouthpiece into the Spiky. Wish I could post a pic, worked pretty good.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Would like to see some glass that incorporates some cooling that would resemble a light-bulb,
TRWW has spiral coolers. I have one, it's pretty fun on a j-hook.

florduh

The reviews I've seen mostly mention that the vapor is surprisingly comfortable given no water filtration. I do think after market glass blowers will come up with something better.

I've done dry dabs for years and would probably jump on this thing if it was $100 less and/or had an app with precise temp control. Water filtration doesn't really do much for me. I take small dabs, usually at a low temp. Heat never bothers me. The only thing that can tickle my throat are certain terp concentrations. And water doesn't do much for that, to me. To the extent it does, I bet that means water is eating terps/noids.

Sometimes I think I get away with smaller dabs because I don't lose anything to water.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
$100 less and/or had an app with precise temp control.
I think you have hit the nail on the head there...maybe the Pro version will get the temp control, then 6 months after that...maybe on sale!
images

Petetbay

I watched Troy and Jerry stream last night with Troy going over it pretty good. I knew already that the 3D chamber differs from the Peak Pro version by how it connects, but found out it is quite a bit smaller so it probably uses less power. Like the Pro it’s designed pretty good for cleaning and reclaim management, I think the Pro one of the best for that. If you have a Pro already, the price is a hard sell unless you have the resources or like some people that already has several versions of the Pro. If you don’t have a Pro and don’t require the bigger chamber or want something more portable the Proxy probably would do you fine. I like the form factor and there’s a bunch of alternative glass coming including a bubbler and heady glass stuff. Maybe when my Pro dies would be the time to consider it.

Hit the watch on Twitch button.

florduh

Troy and Jerry streaming on Twitch is extremely funny to me. They need to get baked and do some gaming.

Troy really only has nice things to say about the Proxy. He thinks it's more pocketable than a DTv5 and mod. Gotta say, I wonder if the coating on the crucible is different than DT's. He was hitting flower rosin and it cleaned up completely with a q-tip. My v5 looks like shit after a lower tier hash rosin dab. BHO and higher tier hash there's no problem though.

The other crazy thing is, the body never seems to get hot. All of my crucible wax pens get uncomfortably hot and take several minutes to cool down. Especially the Sai and the v5. The M22, less so. But you still wouldn't want to grab the housing right after a dab. Troy's over there manhandling the Proxy immediately post dab.

Jerry points out the form factor is smart vs wax pens you have to hold upright. It's a more polished version of this concept:

Longmada_Motar_1_grande.jpg

florduh

The YouTube algorithm has been pushing Proxy review videos to me. This guy's is one of the better ones I've seen. Seems to be a pretty unknown channel too.

It seems like most reviews mention how amazing it is that they don't miss water filtration. Super smooth. Maybe more R&D went into this thing than I thought. The smaller crucible and heater probably results in less hot air getting inhaled. I noticed that, unlike the Divine Tribe 3D heater, Puffco's is only heated from the sides. Like an enail. Maybe that helps with vapor comfort. Combined with a long drip tip, it seems to provide comfortable dry dabs.

Petetbay

The YouTube algorithm has been pushing Proxy review videos to me. This guy's is one of the better ones I've seen. Seems to be a pretty unknown channel too.

It seems like most reviews mention how amazing it is that they don't miss water filtration. Super smooth. Maybe more R&D went into this thing than I thought. The smaller crucible and heater probably results in less hot air getting inhaled. I noticed that, unlike the Divine Tribe 3D heater, Puffco's is only heated from the sides. Like an enail. Maybe that helps with vapor comfort. Combined with a long drip tip, it seems to provide comfortable dry dabs.
Nice little review, why are 4 temps top secret, says 400’F is the lowest, that is really low if he’s right and 600 or 650’F for the top temp too high for me, they don’t even give the temps in the manual. For the money it should have the Pro app that would have been killer for temp selection. He dropped it on hardwood floor and didn’t break the glass, nice must be thick. This thing is going to infect me, I’m trying not to buy anymore vapes. 🐼

Last edited:

LongDraw

Wanted to share my thoughts, received my puffco proxy last Friday.

First product from them i believe i have used. Prior portable concentrate devices was only a kandy pen, used the coils cause didn't think the bucket worked well and didn't want to waste using it while learning. Changed to a desktop auber and banger/coil. Hadn't used in awhile because less convenient remember to let warm up, going back to my office for a dab compared to loading a bowl on the couch for one of my vaporizers.

Shape/Design: I really like it, always liked the sherlock type pieces when i combusted when i was younger. Easy to hold, doesn't get overly hot for me. Button was pretty firm and hard to sometimes hold without it releasing some, has loosed up now and no issues. See there is already creations for adaptors in bongs and other glass for the device. Think that is really cool, costly, but cool. Some would be fun to have, but not sure if i'll go down that rabbit hole. First, would want to confirm fit, second if just asthetics, maybe not worth it especially if could break. Wouldn't buy one that is an adaptor for a bong, the glass it comes with works great.

Use: Simple as well, 3 second hold to turn off/off, 1 press to change cycles, and a double press for boost mode. Took me a few days as i kept trying to use like other devices where it is 3 clicks to turn on. I like to start at the blue level for a dab, after that shuts off and i clear the bowl, i then do a setting at green, then clean up with q tips like i would my banger. Think i have once tried red, and wasn't to bad likely would only do that one cycle and maybe boost, but would have to try before saying for sure. Only time it felt harsh is when i tried out covering the airhole like a carb as i had seen online, just leaving it open is plenty comfortable.

Concentrate Buildup: Seen several videos of people showing how much buildup on the device and glass after use. After a week, with 2 dabs a day maybe a few more weekend nights, i have barely any buildup on the glass, like a few clear spots, and none on the atomizer or in the proxy piece. I would say others are loading to much and it gets sucked through the vents or, some videos showed people using pearls and i am guessing it moves it to high. I do grain of rice to bb size, about the same i used in the desktop, and i don't see any of those issues. If people like big dabs, i don't think this device would be best, though i haven't tried big dabs to confirm so there is that.

Battery: Can't say for sure, but i think i could get 6 dabs with 2 cycles each, a blue and then a green, before i would want to charge so don't run out mid dab, but that is worry based haha. So far charged when went orange and then today since it was on red. So, can't say a lot on battery life since i haven't really tracked well or pushed to the end, but battery is enough for me for at least 2 days and easily cover a night if using with a friend.

Cost: Bit high will agree, but would be similar to a desktop setup. I never got into the portable dag rigs, so this cost didn't bother me and so far i have really enjoyed it. The portability, easy fit on my tray along with a fllower vaporizer and a few other things makes me happy. And thinking about it, there are plenty of flower vaporizers that are great and are 250 to 400.

Flavor: Not sure how to compare, but to me flavor is very good. Enough vapor path to be cooled but not take away, and no water which could take it away. Makes me wish i would have tried no water in my desktop setup, though i always used just enough to just cover the slits on my bong.

Overall: I highly recommend. If you have a portable dag rig already, price may not be worth it since you have something somewhat similiar already, but for those without i think this works really well. I have used my own rosin i press with 120 micon basgs, concentrate from a dablicator and wax from the dispensary as well. All vaporized really well, great taste and easy clean up.

If there are any questions can answer, happy to try.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm sure the thing has a lot of good points and vapes concentrates just fine. To me, it just has a ridiculous price.

It's like a fancy steak house. There's nothing wrong with that 20oz ribeye. It's juicy, tender and cooked to perfection. The only issue is it's on the menu for $85 fucking dollars and the fuckers still expect you to pay another $6 for a baked potato to go with it. Yet, some people don't mind and buy that steak and enjoy it. It is after all, a great steak. For me, I'd rather get a very similar steak at a less fancy restaurant and pay a reasonable price.

I'll buy a Core 2 erig over a Pro every time, and I'll wait for Crossing tech or DT or the like to make something that works just as good as the Proxy without all the hype and absurd pricing. YMMV. :myday:

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
it just has a ridiculous price.
This device is a tool not a consumable like food and like tools, you get what you pay for, if you use your tools a lot you appreciate the quality for a lot longer than remembering what price you paid...R&D has to be done and paid for by someone and those costs need to be covered before others copy the idea. :2c:

florduh

I know this isn't a big deal to a lot of people here, but the 30 second heat up time is bothering me a bit for a portable. Comparing it to even a DTv5. Mine gets to temp in 10 seconds, maybe less. The whole session is done in less than 30 seconds.

Shit, I timed a TinyMight session. Everything from loading, to heating, drawing, and dumping the duff was done in less than 30 seconds.

My go-to portable is a rosin cart. That's like a 5-6 seconds "session". I don't have to stop whatever I'm doing for a minute or two. Makes it very easy when you're hanging out with people who don't consume. If there's no safe place to vape, I can just ghost a hit in the bathroom. Can't imagine waiting for the Proxy to heat up for 30 seconds, slowly cooking hash with some guy taking a shit in the next stall. Doable, sure. But not ideal.

If you're vehemently anti-cart, it sounds like the Proxy is a good portable. Simply because the housing doesn't get as hot as the v5's. And it has a built in longer "drip tip". It looks cool, to me. I don't know about the discretion though.

For comparison, here’s a v5 heater installed in a m22 housing. Shorter drip tip than the Proxy, but you can fine tune temps to make it comfortable.

YsaBBLZy7t4Z.jpg

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I know this isn't a big deal to a lot of people here, but the 30 second heat up time is bothering me a bit for a portable. Comparing it to even a DTv5. Mine gets to temp in 10 seconds, maybe less. The whole session is done in less than 30 seconds.

Shit, I timed a TinyMight session. Everything from loading, to heating, drawing, and dumping the duff was done in less than 30 seconds.

My go-to portable is a rosin cart. That's like a 5-6 seconds "session". I don't have to stop whatever I'm doing for a minute or two. Makes it very easy when you're hanging out with people who don't consume. If there's no safe place to vape, I can just ghost a hit in the bathroom. Can't imagine waiting for the Proxy to heat up for 30 seconds, slowly cooking hash with some guy taking a shit in the next stall. Doable, sure. But not ideal.

If you're vehemently anti-cart, it sounds like the Proxy is a good portable. Simply because the housing doesn't get as hot as the v5's. And it has a built in longer "drip tip". It looks cool, to me. I don't know about the discretion though.

For comparison, here’s a v5 heater installed in a m22 housing. Shorter drip tip than the Proxy, but you can fine tune temps to make it comfortable.

YsaBBLZy7t4Z.jpg

IMHO it’s what I like to call portable versus pocketable.

The Proxy seems very portable, but I wouldn’t really want to every-day-carry one in my pocket with a dab jar, loading tool, and cotton swabs. I would absolutely tote one in a backpack or around the house though!

florduh

in Troy's video, when it's in what he calls 'disco mode', its lights spin around like a UFO - that would draw almost as much attention in a public place as heating up a vapcap with a torch.

True. I wasn't even thinking of that though. I mean, how often do you see people outside a bar puffing on a pipe? This ain't the 19th century. And it's a glass pipe. Everyone will know you're doing drugs.

I only have my TM to compare, it hides in plain side,
is ready by the time I reach the window,
and in the year I've had her she has already paid for herself,
while allowing me to partake of the very finest flower,
the state allows me to purchase,

If the proxy can match that with full melt hash rosin,
I can even deal with the price!

Last edited:

florduh

Here's Roger, doing his best Steve Jobs/Elizabeth Holmes impression, talking about the 3d atty in the Proxy and Peak Pro. He says the heating elements are only on the sides of the crucible because then, the hash is only being heated when you inhale, drawing the oil to the sides for vaporization.

I wonder what the disadvantages of this setup would be over the DTv5 that heats the sides and the bottom. The DT reaches temp in way less than 30 seconds. So doesn't that mean the hash is subject to less heating before the inhale starts? Then again, most e-nails are only heated on the sides, so it sort of makes sense to do it that way.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

Here's Roger, doing his best Steve Jobs/Elizabeth Holmes impression, talking about the 3d atty in the Proxy and Peak Pro. He says the heating elements are only on the sides of the crucible because then, the hash is only being heated when you inhale, drawing the oil to the sides for vaporization.

I wonder what the disadvantages of this setup would be over the DTv5 that heats the sides and the bottom. The DT reaches temp in way less than 30 seconds. So doesn't that mean the hash is subject to less heating before the inhale starts? Then again, most e-nails are only heated on the sides, so it sort of makes sense to do it that way.

Yeah… “power where you need it”…. EXCEPT on the bottom. More like 2D.
Maybe it’s great, too steep for my wallet.

Top Bottom