Pregrinding?

Caligula

Maximus
I had been a long time combuster before getting my solo. I never smoked joints or blunts though so I never needed to use a grinder on my herb. Now that I have my Solo, however, I end up grinding everything I buy... and this leads me to my next question...

Is there any real downside to pregeinding your herb? I typically buy an eighth to a quarter at one time (I get bored of the same strain easily and like to get new meds every few days to each week), and have recently started grinding a full eighth at a time.

Now I keep this in an air and light proof jar, but I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by not "grinding as I go"?

What say you, FC?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I pre grind a few days worth at a time and don't see any loss in taste or potency as long as its stored in an airtight jar. Love my JyARz for this reason. I do have to buy under cured bud half the time so grinding and then letting it air dry can be a necessity at times. I don't see any Downside to pregrinding what I'm gonna be using for the next day or two or even an OZ for a week or two if its stored well.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
So given that I will go through an eighth between onece or twice a week, this is a nonissue since I keep the ground bud in a Jyar?
I'd say its a non-issue. Some people just really like the ritual of grinding before they Vape up. When using the MFLB I like to grind each trench with the finishing Grinder but that's more ceremony then a quality thing.

RUDE BOY,

djonkoman

well, you're robbing yourself of the ritual... besides that, it will probably dry out more but it depends on your preferences if that's negative.

since I use a log vape, I only need a small amount each time, so I just fill my grinder with a random amount that's enough to grind well(I think I could roll 1 or 2 joints from the amount I usually put in my grinder), and that lasts me multiple refills. keeping it in my grinder I have noticed no degradation, but it stays in there for 1-2 days max. (but often only a few hours)

djonkoman,
Reactions: Caligula

max

Out to lunch
More like a quarter a week on the heavy end. Were not counting concentrates though.
You're right. My math skills abandoned me. Doesn't change my opinion that you won't notice the difference though.

djonkoman said:
well, you're robbing yourself of the ritual... besides that, it will probably dry out more but it depends on your preferences if that's negative.
One person's enjoyable ritual is another's pain in the ass. :lol: And stored in an air tight jar, I doubt there'd be much of a drying out problem, even in cold weather.

Seren

Away with the fairies
I also grind a day or two's worth of herb before storing it in a UV glass jar. I haven't noticed a degradation in the herb either. Whilst it may be better to grind as you go, that would just be a little too much of a potch for me personally. :)

:peace::leaf:

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I've moved to vacuum sealing my bulk of herb, with an oxy-sorb packet in it. I then take out enough to grind (shred) and fill a Jyar about 3/4 full. That lasts a few days. Works really well.

I usually have about 4 Jyarz in rotation during any given week.

2 Paces

I pre-grind for my MFLB about a 1/4 oz at a time and put it in my Jyarz. I use a coffee grinder for the MFLB (to get it super fine) and it seems to work best with at least 1/4 oz at a time.

For all my other vapes that don't need such a fine grind I will grind up a few days worth at a time in a hand grinder and store in glass.

I don't like to have the 'ritual' of grinding every time I partake.

skant

I grind one or two days worth at a time, leave in grinder. I figure it needs to dry out anyway. Bad idea?

I pre-grind for my MFLB about a 1/4 oz at a time and put it in my Jyarz. I use a coffee grinder for the MFLB (to get it super fine) and it seems to work best with at least 1/4 oz at a time.

For all my other vapes that don't need such a fine grind I will grind up a few days worth at a time in a hand grinder and store in glass.

I don't like to have the 'ritual' of grinding every time I partake.

skant,

Caligula

Maximus
I grind one or two days worth at a time, leave in grinder. I figure it needs to dry out anyway. Bad idea?

Guess that depends on how dry you prefer your herb? If that grinder isnt air tight, though, you will lose flavor/smell/potency over time (not a few days tho IMO).

Caligula,

skant

How dry should it be for optimum potency? I use the DaVinci vape.

Is it better to dry out before grinding? What is common "workflow" (or just yours if there is no common way) for buds from obtaining to vaping?

skant,

djonkoman

I don't dry it out at all before grinding. to me, drying out is loss of flavor. I store weed I bought in mini-masonjars(they feel/seem less airtight as the big ones though)
but it probably depends on how dry you buy it

djonkoman,

skant

Weed I have recently is very moist. I assume I should keep airtight, then dry out before use. Probably doesn't matter if dried before grinding or after?

skant,
Top Bottom