Pot and Novocain?

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Tomorrow I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth removed and I'm curious about vaporizing tonight... I'm going to be put under for roughly an hour with a general anesthesia instead of local freezing, to save me from about 10 needles or so (thank god).

My question is whether vaporizing tonight before my fasting period (midnight, no food or water) would screw with my fast. If I vaped at around 10, will that have any effect on the anesthesia?

Also, I've read that nobody should smoke anything for the initial couple of days as the smoke could harm the slices in my gums where they will be stitched up. I think it partly has to do with heat as well, but I could be completely wrong. Do you think hitting the Launch Box even in two days would be a problem? I probably won't feel much like vaporizing tomorrow night but two nights? Don't know if I could pull that off :brow:

mattybass,

toxicc

E11001420
I think that the problem that smoking could cause is infections, because smokers are instructed to rince their mouth with salty water to disinfect after smoking a cigarette when they had wisdom teeth pulled or similar surgery. Cannabinoids are kinda antibacterial, and you are vaporizing instead of smoking wich is even better, so i personnally don't think there would be any problem, and you can always rince your mouth with salty water after a vaping session to be sure. I also doubt that vaporizing today would cause any problem with fasting or anasthesia, other than making you thirsty and hungry. So as long as are able to drink a little after vaping that should be ok. But i don't have much knowledge about it all so you sure should do more research first.

toxicc,

nickzzzx

Vaping the night before won't have any effect on the anesthesia for the teeth extraction, although it might tempt you to eat.
Your mouth will be stuffed with gauze that you will have to replace when they become saturated with blood (which you'll be doing kinda often for the first couple hours after the extraction, until it starts slowing down). Although the local anesthesia they use works pretty well at numbing your mouth, you'll probably want to take the pain pills they give you as its much easier to pop a pill than to inhale hot vapor from your Launch Box. I don't know from experience but it seems like if you tried to take a hit (creating suction in your mouth) it would hurt or disrupt the blood coagulation in your sockets. Some edibles would be perfect, imo.

nickzzzx,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
The suction is sort of what I figured would do the most damage. I talked to a friend who just had his wisdom teeth out on Friday and he said smoking a bowl was the worst idea he ever had... the smoke was apparently awful on the wounds. I don't think I'll be taking a chance with the vape tomorrow at any rate.

And yeah, I know other than the inherent munchies that come with a session, I should be alright fasting. On a rather funny note, I guess my friend asked the anesthetist why you had to fast and his answer was that the muscles between your throat and stomach relax, and the muscles can involuntarily force food into your throat and down into your lungs causing you to "die a horrible death".... all the while he's injecting my friend haha.

mattybass,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
You could always do what i did when i got my teeth pulled and I just had to partake in MJ.
Inhale it through your nose making sure you completely bypass your mouth. Pushing your tongue back to help seal up your mouth.
Last thing you want to do is get dry socket from using suction.

and as far as vaporizing before while you are fasting... I wouldn't do that... for me vaping on an empty stomach gives me an extreme case of the munchies. much harder to stay away from food when your under the influence and you have absolutely no food in your system

DevoTheStrange,

indigal

Amongst the corn
First.. ow, sorry.:(

Second - before won't hurt anything, afterwards- I'd be careful- speaking from experience. Dry mouth and holes in the mouth do not go well together. I got dry socket.. Edibles would be better- but still, it will likely still give you dry mouth. Rinsing (after a few days) with saline may help. But, I'd take it easy and abstain if at all possible. Dry socket sucks and it lasts for weeks. Take your pain meds on a schedule, drink fluids, rest & have some edibles handy if needed.

indigal,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
I've decided I'll just take a break... I have no problem giving up pot even indefinitely, I was just wondering what would happen really. I'm sure a few days of a break will be just fine anyway.

mattybass,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I'm 99% sure vaping tonight would have no ill effect. And i'm pretty certain that a couple vape hits wont hurt things afterward. Luckily thats all it takes with vape usually.

steiner666,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Tried to smoke a joint the other day while half my face was still numb from Novocaine. Difficult to say the least.

bluntfaced,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Yeah I hear that.... I can't even eat yogurt or take the painkillers I was prescribed because my entire chin and tongue are paralyzed from Novocain. I just want to eat my Jell-O dinner already :mad:

mattybass,

toxicc

E11001420
You might try what i did for painkiller: crush the pill and swallow the powder. Keep in mind that the actives will be metabolised faster (higher dose at once), and if it's a time release pill it might not be a good idea.

toxicc,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Thank god the numbness went away so I can now eat liquid foods and take my antibiotics/ibuprofin. Feeling pretty decent today, just have a sore lower jaw, the top jaw doesn't bother me much. Supposedly my bottom wisdom teeth were precariously close to a main nerve and the surgeon said that could cause some pain and numbing for a while, but he said it's rare that it gets abused. After tomorrow the pain should begin to subside. In a few days I'll be back to vaping, hopefully.

mattybass,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
DId they put you under for the surgery? I'm getting mine out in a bit and they said just to pop a couple valium first :uhoh::uhoh:

I tried smoking a J the other day after novacaine though, difficult to say the least.\

Bouta go get some right now though periodontal disease is the fucking greatest here's to being a dirtbag ski bum!

bluntfaced,

bcleez

Smoking can cause "dry sockets" which is not good...

Vape is probably ok...

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth and the painkillers were enough for days.

bcleez,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Well it's day two, the sockets have stopped bleeding and the swelling has been kept down by Advil and ice... but I really want to hit my vape and watch Fubar :p I think tonight I will try attaching the stem to my MFLB which I never use and vape through the nose... I just want to be extra careful about suction as I really want these sockets to heal as much as possible for the weekend.

To be patient or not to be patient. :uhoh:

mattybass,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
hehe, I managed to fit the stem on my MFLB and stick it basically to the back of my throat and inhale. Through the nose, I quickly realized, was a terrible idea as the heat the MFLB gives off could seriously damage odour receptors and the mucus lining in your sinuses. Not to mention it was next to impossible to do with the stem. Either way, putting the vape down my throat worked well, although I think one of my sutures became unravelled slightly from some of the draw. Going to take it easy again for a couple nights and I'm hoping this thing heals up sooner than later. It's getting annoying tasting blood all the time though. :/

mattybass,

GreenLeaf

Enjoy the painkillers. Hopefully you got Oxy or maybe hydro and not codeine or Ibuprofen.

My wisdom teeth were very impacted and I was given nitrous and IV Valium and knocked out for the surgery.

I did not smoke or vape when I had mine out because I could barely open my mouth for a week or two because of the stitches.

GreenLeaf,

Vapor Duff

I'll be in the same situation in a few months/years. However, I only have two top wisdom teeth, and they're not causing any problems, so all's OK.

Since I have a bag style vape (Extreme), I would be really tempted to vape instead of taking painkillers post op. I absolutely hated the stuff they gave me after my foot operation, but if I only had a draw-style vape, I would hold off vaping and take half the dose of whatever they prescribed me.

Vapor Duff,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
I don't like painkillers besides Ibuprofin... too many side effects to worry about. I think for my operation I must have had the same as GreenLeaf... I was gassed as well as given an IV to knock me out. Luckily I recovered very quickly this week. I was even able to get a few hits off a primo BC bud joint at the end of a wedding on Saturday, haha! That shit knocked me on my ass... at least it took over the booze and I was able to sleep right away

mattybass,
Top Bottom