Politicians, Jesus and walking out of interviews

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Wee bit of background; I'm a politics junkie, mostly US, but also UK. Not terribly interested in Canadian politics since it seems to be mostly a case of follow the leader :/ There are some important distinctions, one of the most interesting is that there is *very little* place in Canadian provincial or federal politics for religion (it occasionally rears it's ugly head, but so rarely that people do take notice when something stupid happens (Stockwell Day would have used the notwithstanding clause to block our Supreme Court ruling that gay/lesbian marriages are legs, he had strange beliefs about religion, the age of the world and dinosaurs and other gaffes you can dig up on your own).

Stockwell Day's career tanked. He could never be electable.

Sorry for the big setup, but the above is what I grew up with; almost a public scorn of religion at the political level if you will. So I gotta ask some of you from the US (anyone at all)....why is religion so tolerated at the federal level of US politics.

How can this public prayer thing by Rick Perry have happened and he is still a candidate for political office? In Canada that would have been a 100% kill switch on any almost all candidacies.

I'm really puzzled by this.

And I'm really scared by stuff that he said, such as;

'Gov. Rick Perry of Texas called on Jesus to bless and guide the nations military and political leaders and those who cannot see the light in the midst of all the darkness.'

and this

'You are our only hope' (in reference to the Lord God father of JC).

I'm really not slamming anyone's religion, just trying to understand one massive difference between our respective political systems.

thanks for any ideas. And I am thick skinned, so go ahead and slam Canada if you want; I'll probably agree with you :lol:

Tom

[edit; earlier I said 'he'; I meant and have corrected it to Stockwell Day. Sorry, I am pretty ripped]

tdavie,

lwien

Because he appeals to the evangelical far right wing section of the Republican Party as does Bachmann and Palin. The Republican Party today is NOT what it was decades ago. It has, in fact, been hijacked by these idiots. For me, I'd really like to see the centrists of the Republican Party take their party back.

lwien,

jackmormon

Canada is fairly unique in this respect.

Historically, religion has been one of the best ways to control people through some sort of hierarchy. (Along with war, money, politics & fear in any combination.) Politics and religion are twisted together in some bizarre manner in many countries. The USA isn't alone in this but it is starting to get REAL weird.

Personally, I am disturbed by the current wave of Dominionist influence over politics in DC. If you are not familiar with Dominionist ideology, Google it. These people specialize in fucked up. Things are pretty bad in the USA and every indication is that things are going to get worse. As more people start to realize this, the greater the appetite for any ideology that offers some sort of answer, no matter how irrational.

Right now, we have two Republican candidates who actually claim to have received messages from God, either directly or indirectly. Perry & Bachmann -- both with long histories of involvement with Dominionist churches, pastors, and ideology.

On top of that, we have two more Republican candidates who profess to be true believing Mormons. WTF?

Interesting times we live in....

jackmormon,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
lwien said:
Because he appeals to the evangelical far right wing section of the Republican Party as does Bachmann and Palin. The Republican Party today is NOT what it was decades ago. It has, in fact, been hijacked by these idiots. For me, I'd really like to see the centrists of the Republican Party take their party back.

You know, I have never, ever, taken much of a stance politically, one way or the other. I think this thread explains why. I have to agree with you on this lwien.

Purpl3_Haz3,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
it acts as a masking technique for the similarity between the parties real agendas

i've heard it described as such and believe it to be true

if you can get people riled up about little things like abortion you can get voters to back your candidates even when they have really messed up ideas about the economy...i see politicians using this more and more as popcorn to voters, almost like they're saying, "look, I'm as crazy as you!" And, the real powers that be, backing those candidates, don't really care, since they already know their interests will be protected no matter who is elected.

EDIT:
Of course, the fallout is that those parties have to deliver on their campaign promises, which is why it's become harder to get an abortion in the last several months.

What's sickening is how little coverage we get of the craziness of some of the candidates, because their overarching agendas match those of the corporations that own the media.

We don't have much diversity in media voices anymore, so it's become very easy to dictate the dialogs in and of the culture. The idiot box says, "that criminal is bad," we believe it, they say corporations that commit crime were justified, we believe that. They use us for votes, and lobby us every day through the news, and since religion and social issues grab people at a base level, and they of course have to use the most Modern Public Relations techniques, so no limits have been set.

Some would call it western style politics, but i think it's got more in common with George Orwell's 1984, dictating the issues and answers through media control. Television's biggest drive here is politics i believe, that and just keeping people planted in front of it thinking about anything except what really concerns their actual lives.

What about in Canada? do you also have to endure "the continual campaign" on TV? I remember hearing in a Michael Moore Movie ("Bowling for Columbine") that you get to see more debates over social policy there. I don't think I can remember anything like that for a long time.

VWFringe,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Tom, I agree that religion has never been prominent in Canadian politics, but the Christian right agenda is never far from Stephen Harper's mind. Compare his policies to theirs and it's pretty obvious.

pakalolo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
lwien said:
Because he appeals to the evangelical far right wing section of the Republican Party as does Bachmann and Palin. The Republican Party today is NOT what it was decades ago. It has, in fact, been hijacked by these idiots.

I'd like to see someone like Reagan back in the Republican party.

Vicki,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
pakalolo said:
Tom, I agree that religion has never been prominent in Canadian politics, but the Christian right agenda is never far from Stephen Harper's mind. Compare his policies to theirs and it's pretty obvious.

You're right of course. And during the next 4+ years I'm sure we're going to get lots of legislation driven by the Christian right; maybe not overtly, but it will happen. I'm already being canvassed in my new house for the upcoming provincial election; so far I've received literature from the NDP, Liberals and Conservatives. I actually had a 5 minute talk with the Conservative candidate and said that my vote rests on her stance re: medical MJ. I've been promised a return call. We'll see :) Funding to religious groups via government money is slowly increasing (why are we giving public money to any religious groups....I don't understand this).

Thanks to the people from the US answering (and to others as well).

lwien; I know that the Republican party has been co-opted by the evangelical right (or at least very strongly influenced). And it is my perception that the Tea Party has damaged the country because it has disproportionate influence on the GOP leading to a very obstructionist congress (dunno if that word is supposed to be capitalized or not, sorry). Where have all the centrists gone? How come they aren't getting elected in numbers that the country needs?

Every summer from 67-77 I spent 1-2 months with my parents just travelling around the midwest/upper midwest, west coast/southwest US and the only times I saw overt displays of religion that made me uncomfortable were in Nebraska and Iowa in the middle of very long cornfields running alongside both sides of the highways (for miles at a time). All of a sudden and out of nowhere you'd have these huge and scary billboards telling you to pray before your soul burns. Or one asking you to pray to the redeemer. But it was on private property so....

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom