Plug-In Advice

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Thankfully, I’ve been down this rabbit hole, and have moved on a bit, more towards what results I’m getting at selected vape device temp settings, and enjoying.
agree ... i am more interested in consistency and stability than accuracy. the reading of 420°F is just a guide to let me know what to expect from the session.

VapeReady

Not nice. Warning point issued.
price point when released at $699 (tentative)
Explain us why so expensive?
Obviously it's easier to have an actual temp with conduction based devices...
Not necessarily
How could you even define "normal draw speed" across different users and different products with varying level of restriction...? lol Sounds like maybe you do not have much experience with any of the pure convection vaporizers...?? Anyway, there are not many options then, it sounds like you just want a volcano digital or a plenty then I guess...???
I mean a normal draw speed from the person end of story. Doesn't matter the product or level of restriction. That's not what i said. :goon:
Others have commented on the feasibility of this. I will simply ask why? If you are thinking you are going to be able to selectively vape specific terpenes like this, I am pretty sure that is not how it works.
Why are you attacking me with your nose all up in my business? And is everyone here acting together trying to attack me? What is this narcissistic forum?!?! Are you all butthurt because i've asked a question that's too difficult to give your opinion on? If so, make it yourself easier, just don't reply.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I mean a normal draw speed from the person end of story. Doesn't matter the product or level of restriction.

.... but how do you define normal draw speed

That's not what i said. :goon:

... I asked questions? Are you just going to ignore all the potential "answers" to the "questions" you ask?? many replies sharing opinions based on what you ask, this is the only post I see you replying to any of mine

VapeReady

A normal draw speed is a normal draw speed. Why are you acting all complicated about a draw speed. Are you comparing dwarfs to giants in your head to come up with the conclusion of draw speed differing so much in people? I said a normal draw speed meaning not hard not slow. When i ask you to drive normal with your car and not drive too fast or too slow you can do that right?

simba

@weedanwine
Ok in your example there is an expected speed limit on the road, so driving normal would really mean driving within the laws of the road.

We don't have any independent way to define what's normal between different people because one person's slow could be another person's normal draw speed.

nicknobody

When i ask you to drive normal with your car and not drive too fast or too slow you can do that right?
GamGam and I do not drive the same

99.9% of people suck at driving and need to get the hell out of the way

I must be a pro vaper…

Jokes aside, draw speed is at the top of the list amongst others when mastering a technique for max performance

kimura

When i ask you to drive normal with your car and not drive too fast or too slow you can do that right?

Fuck no :rofl:

most of the good plug in desktops use hot air to heat the herb and have a wide open draw, and I think you are seriously discounting how much draw speed and load restriction will affect the temp of the air when it hits the herb. All the manufacturers can do is control the heat of the element

You think people are being pedantic but I think you are trying to oversimplify convection. Just figure out what settings you like on each individual device. You don’t need to hit a certain number. You’re getting a range of temps in the chamber/bowl regardless of what any digital display says

Postlark

This is not an answer to your question but an observation.

The temperature that shows in the display of a vaporizer is not necessarily the temperature of the air at the moment the material is hit by hot air. Or in a conduction vape it is not necessarily a constant temperature of the material that sits in the oven.

How fast you draw on a vape, will definitely influence the temperature of the extraction. Probably as much as 20-50°C, so the minute precision you are requiring is far beyond equipment for home use...

Pukka

(*MODS* I've never qouted from another thread before. If it's forbidden I'm sorry.)

Interesting post from the Silver Surfer thread addressing the difference with adding/changing difference size balls to the heater.

I purchased a Silver Surfer a couple of months ago and I am not really sure why this is not talked about more often. I was looking for a desktop unit, purity and efficiency being big factors for me, I considered ball modding my flowerpot that has stored away for years but upon remembering how I didn't enjoy the form factor at all, decided to go a different route. Considered the DBV and VB1.5 but I preferred the idea of the SSV having a downward facing wand so that material does not fall into the oven.

I used it with no mods for a few weeks, then ordered the 3mm ball heater cover. After another week and some research I learned that there was also a 6mm version with different cover as well so ended up getting that to experiment as well.

So, the unmodded SSV is an incredible session vape, it has zero draw restriction and effortlessly gives out medium density clouds that are very flavorful. There is a lack of harshness that I found the flowerpot to have, i suspect the lack of metal in the heater plays a part in this, there is definitely something special about all ceramic or all glass heating. It mimicks the experience of a joint nicely.

What it loses out in relation to modding it is that it is not incredibly efficient, the heater is not so powerful and the air only travels a small distance touching the heating element , so it can be overwhelmed. This gives the need to raise the temperature to close to max (about 3 o'clock for me).

With the 3mm balls, there is much greater draw restriction, to the point I did not enjoy that factor. However the heat can be turned down a lot (11 o'clock) and the vapor is much more dense, efficient, and consistent. Since the heat is so dialed down and no points of air superheated, seems much smoother all the while.

With the 6mm balls, there is very open airflow like the unmodded version. However the performance is midway between unmodded and the 3mm ball cover.

The ball heater covers are very different from each other and in my opinion none of them are optimized in terms of design. The 3mm ball version is very narrow and is filled up with balls the whole length of the ceramic heating rod, while the 6mm version is fatter and is only filled in the portion of the heating rod that glows red hot. This is backwards in my opinion as the 6mm version would benefit from the extra heat from a taller pillar of balls while the 3mm version would benefit from a shorter pillar of balls in order to improve airflow.

I have been using the 6mm heater cover with 6mm balls plugging the bottom and front holes and then filling it with 3mm balls so that the red hot part of the ceramic rod is covered by 3mm balls. This provides the best results with good air flow and powerful clouds.

I wonder if anyone has experimented with 4mm or 5mm balls and with which cover?

If I were to guess I would say probably the 4mm balls would provide the best performance but I don't have any to experiment with and am not sure if ordering more bags of 4mm and 5mm balls will leave me with a better experience. It would make sense for elev8 to change the product lineup as none of the solutions feel definitive right now.

Besides all the experimentation, I can only say I am very demanding of vaporizers and I will not be looking elsewhere any time soon. This is an end game desktop solution. I am running it though a recycler with a whip coming out of the mouthpiece of the recycler. Very glad I chose the silver surfer.

Pukka,
Reactions: Octavia

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
A normal draw speed is a normal draw speed.
How long is a piece of string? A normal one.

The point people have been trying to make is that vapor is created through a complex interaction of heat, weed, and moving air. It is impossible to create the exact same conditions across the universe of vapes, weed quality, and usage styles. Your question basically has no answer.

The best you can do is find a vape that puts out a consistent level of heat at a given indication, whether the indicator is a slider, a dial, or a number on a digital display. In this golden age of vapes, that’s most of them. The rest is up to you.

Good luck.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The goal of the thread is to find the 5 most temp accurate plug-in vaporizers.

... Volcanoes digital, hybrid (and maybe Plenty?)... the old Herbalizer (halogen discontinued)... Arizer XQ2 (not very accurate at all honestly)... No idea how accurate vapolution ever was but it is no longer available either... HerbalAire /ZephyrIon did not have digital temp control although they had temp settings on their tiles and were set up similarly... Also not digital, but plugin minivap would probably be considered one of the more accurate temp control type of plugin unit ultimately...? :rolleyes:

We are trying to explain to you why that goal is futile, there are not even five digital temp control plug-in vaporizers currently available let alone the most accurate (and they are far from top tier vapor experiences according to most of us here at least) if temp accuracy is the most important aspect, even though a digital temp display on most vapes is not actually technically accurate, then you will likely have to compromise if like the above desktop vapes are unappealing? There are a lot more portable options available currently

Last edited:

hoptimum

Chasing a vaporizer that provides a "precise digital temperature control" is a fool's errand. There are too many variables.

For me, it's the results and consistency that matter, and you can achieve those goals even with a torch powered vape with no digital readouts whatsoever once you learn how to control it. Experience and technique are more important than precise digital temperature control in my opinion.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Explain us why so expensive?
i'm still thinking about price. it will include the vape, two 36" power cables, two 6" power cables, two battery packs, a 3amp charger - recharge a dead power pack in 60 minutes for 90 minute runtime. 6 bud vials, 6 draw tubes (it takes some experience to learn to not drop the glassware), 6 stash cans (like an altoids can but smaller @ 2-7/8" x 2" x 7/8"), tweezers to manage the hot bud vial and shred bud for the vial, a retractable razor blade knife, a brush (stiff bristle brush for keeping the case tidy), a can of toothpicks (to unclog the .75mm holes in the bottom of the vial and draw tube). a leather case that holds the vape, power pack, 36" cable, 6" cable, 2 bud vials, draw tube and one stash can, brush, knife, tweezers. and a larger case that holds this small case, the charger, the extra power pack, extra cables, the extra glassware, the extra stash cans.

it's a complete package. i consider it to be a medical device. it must be robust. based on units in use, it is. and all glass vapor path. and temperature control. cool vapor - when the air leaves the 12mm vial and travels through the 16mm draw tube it is cooled nicely.

i have a new idea for the cube that may save money and time - so, pricing is in flux.
How fast you draw on a vape, will definitely influence the temperature of the extraction. Probably as much as 20-50°C, so the minute precision you are requiring is far beyond equipment for home use...
yes. prior to adding PID control the temp dropped 50°F with a draw, requiring minutes to recover.
find a vape that puts out a consistent level of heat at a given indication,
YES!

Top Bottom