Plug-In Advice

VapeReady

I am considering to buy a plug-in vaporizer. My budget would be around 350. Mainly for usage through a water bubbler. Any advice would be welcome.

I need one with precise temperature control. Preferably a digital one where i can adjust the temperature by 1°C. Need this to vaporize on low temperatures and manipulate settings on 156-157-158-159-160 respectively.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I've been very happy with the new Solo 3 from Arizer. It's tasty, powerful, has a long lasting battery and is within your budget. Also comes with most accessories you'll need right out of the box.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yes i was already expecting that recommendation however Solo 3 is not a true desktop vaporizer it's a portable.
Totally correct 😅. Sorry I missed that part. In that case I would suggest a log vape such as the Couchlog, Woodscents or Underdog type vapes. Lots of benefits to log style vapes. Tasty, no exposed coils and usually can be always-on.

VapeReady

Totally correct 😅. Sorry I missed that part. In that case I would suggest a log vape such as the Couchlog, Woodscents or Underdog type vapes. Lots of benefits to log style vapes. Tasty, no exposed coils and usually can be always-on.
Thanks the couchlog looks interesting but holy shit it's expensive. Don't see any temperature settings or information on their website either.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Thanks the couchlog looks interesting but holy shit it's expensive. Don't see any temperature settings or information on their website either.
I agree the Couchlog is pricy (I have one) but it is a high quality log vape. There are less expensive options in the Underdog and Woodscents line amongst others.

Many of these log vapes do use analog dimmers so a digital temp readout won't always be available. They can also be run by PIDs as a finer form of voltage/temp control but this gets more expensive. I think personally an analog dial can give you the temp stepping control you want but it may take a bit of time to learn what dial settings correspond to the temps you want.

I can also vouch for another desktop I own. A modified DaBuddha vape with a baller upgrade. Check out https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/da-buddha.172/page-187

If you are ok with exposed coils in a desktop vape. I would recommend looking at the Phase3 ZX https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/phase3-vaporizers.48407/page-173

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
As you see most of the suggestions for desktops like this do not have precise temp control... So you'll have to decide what is most important to you, something like cloud connoisseur Omega zeal epitome Vulcan stuff would be great, but the temp control system is different... You could try to find an old herbalizer maybe lol not supported those were expensive back in the day but cheap when they went out of business! Ultimately you will most likely have to compromise

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I need one with precise temperature control. Preferably a digital one where i can adjust the temperature by 1°C. Need this to vaporize on low temperatures and manipulate settings on 156-157-158-159-160 respectively.
In my experience, precise temperature control does not mean this. I've never used a vape that actually made any attempt at making the bowl some exact temperature with in 1°C. It's a fools errand and would not ultimately provide any value.

Low temperature vaping is great for flavor but that's easy to accomplish without some screen pretending there is some actual set temperature there.

Ball vapes have PID controllers that use a thermocouple built into the coil to measure the temperature of the coil and adjust the power to maintain it. However this has very little to do with the temperature of the vape or the bowl (or the cannabis). I recommend just thinking of the displayed values as "hotter" and "cooler" rather than some calculation to get to the cannabis temperature.

Most logs use a VVPS or a dimmer, which is, imo, a better way to reflect relative temperature.

Another reason to ignore the supposed temperature is to avoid falling into the trap of those dumb "boiling point" charts.

simba

@weedanwine
EpicVape Enano

Enano XL 😂

But it doesn't have temp-based control but a dial 1-10 but it's extremely sensitive and consistent, so you can get exactly the roast you would like with great power. I've never managed to overwhelm the heater and I've tried 😁

simba,
Reactions: cosimo

VapeReady

Looks like i found a hole in the market. This is actually very good advice for future vaporizer developers.

Seems like i'm limited in the plug-in market. Very strange that digital control is more available in the portable market.

Some plug-ins have pre-setted temperature settings but they start way too high for my personal needs (Minivap for instance...).

Analog dials that i have to play with in order to find my required temperature without an actual temperature reading is not a viable option.

I need at least a reading of the actual temperature. Or the dial position should represent a precise temperature that has been measured and tested. :ninja:

VapeReady,
  • Wow

Radwin Bodnic

I need at least a reading of the actual temperature. Or the dial position should represent a precise temperature that has been measured and tested.
At the risk of paraphrasing @Grass Yes there is no "actual temperature".

If you consider a pure convection vape like an injector that you put on a cold bowl the temp of the air reaching your material will vastly depend on your draw speed.
Very slow draw and the air will have plenty of time heating up passing through the heater / thermal matrix.
Very strong draw and the air will not heat up that much.

So what temp would you like to read ?
Temp of the heater ? It won't be representative of the temp of the air reaching your material.
Temp of your material ? It will vary from top to bottom of the bowl. Plus I don't want to deal with a temp probe in the middle of the bowl.
Temp of the hot air before your material ? I assume it will be nearly impossible to maintain a draw steady enough to keep the temp between 2-3°C.

Even considering portables, we don't know what the temps actually represent !

simba

@weedanwine
Yeah I'm not sure I get the reason you need to see a temperature number, whatever it corresponds to.

Why is it not viable to start at a suggested setting and see how that works for you and adjust from there? I get wanting to have something that has a consistent and repeatable experience, but I'm not sure why that has to be seeing a temp number.

I run my Enano XL at 6, I can show you what the AVB looks like. I feel that would give you a better idea of what the experience would be like than measuring the temp in the bowl.

Last edited:

Pukka

Regardless of the device, if it says it has real temperature control (<2°F minimum) without some form of thermometer-ish feedback control circuitry it's all smoke and mirrors. Most, if not all, of the devices we all use uses resistence changes in the heater matrix to control temperature. Which it does, to an extent, but it's in no way degree accurate. It's an representation. You'd probably get better true temperature control with a desktop rod vape and a quality temp gun. At least when it comes to temperature at the heater, I'm far too relaxed to try and explain how what others address above affect what I've addressed here.

VapeReady

Portables like the mighty have been tested with a probe where the temperature on the display actually matched the temperature in the chamber where the herb was baking. It's pretty obvious that i'm talking about the temperature where the herb is baking with a normal draw speed. Some people in here are trying to act all nitty picky over that it seems. Needed honest help on plug-in devices that are capable of doing the same. And yes there are plug-in vaporizers with analog dials that represents certain temperatures like the figure above. Although some have more temperature difference and bigger temperature gaps than others. Vapexhale, LSV, E-nano to name a few but i can't find any temp chart.
DSC_7314.jpg

Last edited:
VapeReady,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
In my experience, precise temperature control does not mean this. I've never used a vape that actually made any attempt at making the bowl some exact temperature with in 1°C. It's a fools errand and would not ultimately provide any value.
ok, call me a fool but i found 1°F stability to be doable. i use a BBQ thermometer as a "fair witness" for the temp readout, measuring the hottest part of the heater. the middle of the bud vial hits this temperature in the first 5 seconds of the draw.

the mighty has +/- 5°F temperature swing. they should try harder.

i use batteries because delivering enough current requires a more expensive/bulky plug-in power supply - compared to LiFePO4 which can deliver 70 amps and recharge acceptably fast - 60 minute recharge for 90 minutes of run time. and i found PID control is the only way to control this much power.

i think my design checks all the boxes for a superior vape experience.

not yet a retail product and won't hit your price point when released at $699 (tentative) with all the accessories. it is open source if someone wants to roll their own. all details will be on the website. coming soon ...

Radwin Bodnic

Portables like the mighty have been tested with a probe where the temperature on the display actually matched the temperature in the chamber where the herb was baking. It's pretty obvious that i'm talking about the temperature where the herb is baking with a normal draw speed. Some people in here are trying to act all nitty picky over that it seems. Needed honest help on plug-in devices that are capable of doing the same. And yes there are plug-in vaporizers with analog dials that represents certain temperatures like the figure above. Although some have more temperature difference and bigger temperature gaps than others. Vapexhale, LSV, E-nano to name a few but i can't find any temp chart.
DSC_7314.jpg
Obviously it's easier to have an actual temp with conduction based devices...

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
ok, call me a fool but i found 1°F stability to be doable. i use a BBQ thermometer as a "fair witness" for the temp readout, measuring the hottest part of the heater. the middle of the bud vial hits this temperature in the first 5 seconds of the draw.
If you are describing a stable temperature, I absolutely agree. Many vapes are good at holding a stable temperature. Although a 1°F variance during draw is common.

However if you are claiming that a meaningful difference can be had in adjusting by 1°F, I will strongly disagree. The same goes for any attempt at saying there is any meaningful comparison between the "temperatures" of different vapes.

I would say an immersion thermometer, like a meat thermometer does a much better job measuring a material surrounding it than it does measuring air temperature. A k-type thermocouple is going to work better but still has its own issues.

That being said, most vapes do not place any temperature probe in the bowl. And I would consider it foolish to do so.

Holding a consistent temperature, that is repeatable at the same setting is the goal. Displaying some temperature and moving it by arbitrary degrees is silly.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It's pretty obvious that i'm talking about the temperature where the herb is baking with a normal draw speed. Some people in here are trying to act all nitty picky over that it seems. Needed honest help on plug-in devices that are capable of doing the same

How could you even define "normal draw speed" across different users and different products with varying level of restriction...? lol Sounds like maybe you do not have much experience with any of the pure convection vaporizers...?? Anyway, there are not many options then, it sounds like you just want a volcano digital or a plenty then I guess...???

chillAtGVC

Others have commented on the feasibility of this. I will simply ask why? If you are thinking you are going to be able to selectively vape specific terpenes like this, I am pretty sure that is not how it works.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

the mighty has +/- 5°F temperature swing. they should try harder.

But remember, the PLUS/MINUS accuracy is often a factor of the price of the measuring devices.
+5 to -5 degrees F accuracy, is common for most temperature probes. One must also factor how accurate the meter itself is. If you want to really trust a digital multimeter, you would need 3, assuming you get two different readings, the 3rd meters reading might suggest which one is accurate. There are also devices available that send an accurate voltage to the meter, these are a bit obscure, but I bought one, so I could test the accuracy of my various DMM’s. Fluke meters while expensive, are very accurate.

Once you are confident your meter is “accurate”, then the plus/minus factor of the probe is in play. I also have all in one probes, no DMM involved, but can do rough confirmation tests using the boiling water and ice tests!

Thankfully, I’ve been down this rabbit hole, and have moved on a bit, more towards what results I’m getting at selected vape device temp settings, and enjoying.

Experimentation is fun, though many don’t take the amount of time to learn all the pitfalls, or want to spend enough for accurate measuring equipment.

Expecting 1-2 degrees of real world accuracy, in the vape device market , is ………

Hippie

There's the digi and hybrid Volcanos and the desktop Arizers
And a few discontinued devices like the Aromed 4

Hippie,
Top Bottom