PEG 400 Ratios? Terp Ratios? Ejuice making

Kharnics

Hello,

I've started to use PEG 400 & PG along with small amounts of VG and Non-derived terps to make ejuice out of concentrate. I was buying the name brand emulsifiers before I figured out I could do it on my own. I use the PEG 400 to initially break down the concentrate then had PG for volume. I then add 1 to 2 drops of VG to thicken things up a bit and lastly a super ultra tiny drop of some full spectrum terp from Denver terps for extra flavor and fun. This first batch worked out great. My ratio of 1/2 to 1 - PEG 400 to concentrate worked out well, my question to anyone with PEG 400 knowledge is that a good ratio? Can I dial the PEG 400 back? Would also be great to hear from anybody else that uses PEG400. I know there may also never be a magic number for a Peg ratio due to concentrates being inconsistent just curious of others experiences. I've also never broken down concentrate using solely Terps just have used them for added flavor, would be curious to hear ratios regarding that too. Thanks!

Kharnics,

Kharnics

@Pressisbest

I hear you on PEG by itself and used with PG. I don't plan on using this method long term it just works right now. The winterization with 195 and syringe filters is interesting, I was previously using vapuer extract clear and filtering. Then also filtering with my PEG & PG mixes. IS the extract after winerization with 195 and filters vapeable out of modern coil vape tanks? Also are these the green PFTE .22 25mm filters? Thanks!

Kharnics,

Kharnics

@Pressisbest

What if I'm starting out with BHO v.s. Live Resin via a press. Will winterized BHO turn out the same consistency as winterized Live Resin?

Kharnics,

Kharnics

So is there any method on turning BHO into something vapeable without adding anything?

Kharnics,

drfe3

not to restart an old thread here for no reason, but i think its important to know (from a chemist perspective) that you are not necessarily safer vaping straight herb or using a concentrate pen over the various PG/VG/PEG solvent bases + an e-cig.

Yes, there are low levels of toxins that can be produced in atomizers (this is why you have to vape at responsible temperatures using devices from reputable companies), and i agree we should probably be studying these much more given how widespread they are these days.

However, concentrate pens/e-nails are going to heat your resins to much the same if not higher temperatures, and to date I don't think a study has been done looking at the oxidation products of BHO or any comparable concentrate. Even in highly purified/winterized products you are vaping a heterogenous mixture of plant molecules and there are likely a slurry of oxidation products possible at high temps. Straight herbal vaporizers are also likely producing micrometer scale plant particulate upon heating, and possibly similar oxidative products if you are vaping hot. We honestly don't know enough yet.

Unless you are using some shitty tech, these are all probably going to be better than smoking. I wouldn't stray away from e-juice if it helps you properly dose yourself and minimizes coughing/etc. compared to even vaping

drfe3,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

not to restart an old thread here for no reason, but i think its important to know (from a chemist perspective) that you are not necessarily safer vaping straight herb or using a concentrate pen over the various PG/VG/PEG solvent bases + an e-cig.

Yes, there are low levels of toxins that can be produced in atomizers (this is why you have to vape at responsible temperatures using devices from reputable companies), and i agree we should probably be studying these much more given how widespread they are these days.

However, concentrate pens/e-nails are going to heat your resins to much the same if not higher temperatures, and to date I don't think a study has been done looking at the oxidation products of BHO or any comparable concentrate. Even in highly purified/winterized products you are vaping a heterogenous mixture of plant molecules and there are likely a slurry of oxidation products possible at high temps. Straight herbal vaporizers are also likely producing micrometer scale plant particulate upon heating, and possibly similar oxidative products if you are vaping hot. We honestly don't know enough yet.

Unless you are using some shitty tech, these are all probably going to be better than smoking. I wouldn't stray away from e-juice if it helps you properly dose yourself and minimizes coughing/etc. compared to even vaping

Thank you! I believe PEG has been unfairly demonized. The "study" posted in this thread as "evidence" of PEG's toxicity was authored by a Naturopathic "Doctor" who has a financial interest in a company that produces MCT based vape oil. Surprise.... his study found MCT is the safest vape solvent.

Another study actually showed e-juice mixes containing a large amount of PEG may be SAFER than traditional PG/VG mixes.

You can check out this thread if you're interested:

On the Demonization of PEG

florduh,
Top Bottom