PD Stem Modification

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I have yet to receive my PD yet, but I know I am getting very close (order 2017). I was thinking hard about buying a VHW yesterday, to complete my collection. I Would then have a everyday workhorse (PD), a good party group vape (Extreme) a good portable (LB), a glass specific fun guy (VHW) and a throw around vape (VapeBro's) But instead had a thought.....

If someone (either a glass blower or Tom) made glass stems to fit in the PD you could really use it similar to the VHW. Pack a small bowl in the glass stem, plug into your glass water piece and take a puff and rinse and repeat. Wouldn't be "all" glass like the VHW but for sure would be much more versatile as it could still be used without a glass bong. Any thoughts on this? Anyone tried a custom stem? Would an all glass stem even work? Would it become too hot? Could this be solved with some sort of cover to grab ala extreme cyclone bowl? Would we be forced to have a metal bowl piece, or could the whole stem be glass? thanks for your insight. Vape on.

IAmKrazy2,

masejl12

I too am now curious about this. I would imagine that it would become slightly warmer though.

masejl12,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
yeah, couldn't find any pic's either.... anyone have any idea if one would work? i really don't NEED one with 5 stems coming with my PD but, it would be nice...

IAmKrazy2,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Replacing the polypropylene with glass has been discussed before. Apparently it's very difficult to fuse stainless steel into glass, so probably not going to happen. This idea was mainly for the hell of it and for the ability to have fancy worked glass tubes.

Replacing the bowl itself with glass would no doubt result in breakages, and would likely provide sub optimal performance. Just look at the warnings on the link Hen posted. If you want an 'all glass airpath', the PD is never going to provide it.

Using the PD with a water pipe is simple; the stock tubes are tapered and fit airtight into 14mm ground glass joints as well as many other round glass bowls. Lots of posts about it in the PD thread.

vtac,

Purple-Days

No glass from the PD folks. Breakable !

Also glass is an insulator, so the sides of the bowl will not conduct heat into the herb chamber. The PD operates mostly by convection as air passes through the material from below, however if you leave the PD stem in the heat exchanger for 10-30 seconds before a draw you will notice a considerable difference. This is due to side wall heating and the radiant heat it provides to the load. Glass is a step backwards in this case. (the bowl)

Glass stems would be cool, swirly colors and such, but glass, and #5 PP, are both table ready, so there is just the difference of 'pretty' vs. functional when replacing the stem part. And pretty, that breaks, is not so pretty. IMO.

Purple-Days,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
And pretty, that breaks, is not so pretty. IMO.
Tom always does have a good way with words. After ordering 5 stems (2 extra) that should be in later this week i don't think the glass is a priority. It is a nice thought for water pipes though.

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom