• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kushcloud

Well, let's talk battery. I've been avoiding posting this until I was sure it was not going to get better, but it seems to only be getting worse. I started out getting 3-5 session on one charge. After a scant two months of use, daily use however, I am now getting an average of 2 sessions per charge. I can get a third one at times although it will start warning me with the flashing red light during the session. Today, it didn't even get me through 2 sessions. It just flat cut out on me halfway through the second session. Sucked, too, because I was in the middle of town and didn't have any other option onboard.

Ploom said 80 percent after 300 charges, but I have come nowhere close to that, even using it daily. This is troubling to me.

Noticed the battery drop after 3 months too. Its sucks and really makes the Pax hard to use out and about. After two sessions you have to charge again. Joe, i also noticed that the temp issue in colder climates affects the functionality of the Pax. In the summer, i had very little issue with the Pax and then came Canadas winter and boom, mouthpiece issues.

kushcloud,

KingAnimal

Personaly I would be happier with a mini usb connection on the thing to charge it, would be just as good as a dock to me, and I got chargers all over for mini USB already.

KingAnimal,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Ok so the multimeter just brought up more questions... The voltage is 3.3v between the catch and the actual spring and the current is less than a milliamp (I couldn't measure it)

The inner tube does not have a voltage but seems to play a part in the circuit. It's possible the spring has 3.3v and the catch and the spring are sensors that enable warm-up when both are energized.

The catch should always be in contact with the MP because it slides on the outside and you can feel the resistance when you try to pull the MP out. I think what must be causing the problems is the top of the spring and the inner tube must both contact the mouthpiece.

The reason I think it should be resin related is because the temperature seems to make a big difference. I simply don't get the temp light issue in hot weather or during a sesh and temperature shouldn't make that much of a difference in a clean switch. Maybe sanding the bottom/bottom-inside of the mouthpiece to rough it up a bit would help make good contact with the top of the spring in cold weather, I think I'll try it.

The fact that the current is so small means that we really only need the tiniest bit of metal to make good contact for the circuit to work, the grooves in a rough sanding or filing job should help cut through the resin and make that contact.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

The spring is not part of it. I removed the spring and the Pax worked as it should when I moved the mouthpiece manually. By the way, don't try this unless you want to open your Pax. I happen to know that if you put the mouthpiece in without the spring, the only way to release it is to open the case, pull back the catch manually, and invert your Pax.

Here's something else. The catch in mine never actually contacts the inner vapour tube. The circuit is completed only when the MP is in place.

JoeKickass

Nonreplacable lithium batteries are always going to be a limiting factor unfortunately. They last about 3 years if you use them or not and when they get warm (like being right next to a 400F oven) they lose capacity... surely Ploom realized this when they decided to give a 10yr warranty? I think at some point you can argue your device is unusable and they should give you a new one...
I replaced mine with one of the newest Panasonic cells and runtime went from 80 min to about 60 after 2 months but it still gets me through about six long seshes a day... I guess the question is how many years will you be able to get out of a heavy use battery like the Pax's

JoeKickass,
Nonreplacable lithium batteries are always going to be a limiting factor unfortunately. They last about 3 years if you use them or not and when they get warm (like being right next to a 400F oven) they lose capacity... surely Ploom realized this when they decided to give a 10yr warranty? I think at some point you can argue your device is unusable and they should give you a new one...
I replaced mine with one of the newest Panasonic cells and runtime went from 80 min to about 60 after 2 months but it still gets me through about six long seshes a day... I guess the question is how many years will you be able to get out of a heavy use battery like the Pax's

Well, the warranty does say that it does not cover the battery. I would think, though, that if a battery were to die in a matter of months, they would cover that. The question that could come for me is what they consider reasonable in terms of what the battery should offer. I would say two full sessions minimum on one charge is reasonable. Hopefully today's 1.5 was just a flooky thing, but if I can't get two full sessions on one charge, without some kind of travel charger, that seems unreasonable to expect less on a portable only a couple months old.

JoeKickass

Well, the warranty does say that it does not cover the battery. I would think, though, that if a battery were to die in a matter of months, they would cover that. The question that could come for me is what they consider reasonable in terms of what the battery should offer. I would say two full sessions minimum on one charge is reasonable. Hopefully today's 1.5 was just a flooky thing, but if I can't get two full sessions on one charge, without some kind of travel charger, that seems unreasonable to expect less on a portable only a couple months old.

Yeah I definitely agree, how long are your two seshs though? I used to used a stopwatch app on my phone to time how long it was actually heating for and got around 60 mins, is yours less than 30 mins total?

JoeKickass,

soopafly

Well, let's talk battery. I've been avoiding posting this until I was sure it was not going to get better, but it seems to only be getting worse. I started out getting 3-5 session on one charge. After a scant two months of use, daily use however, I am now getting an average of 2 sessions per charge. I can get a third one at times although it will start warning me with the flashing red light during the session. Today, it didn't even get me through 2 sessions. It just flat cut out on me halfway through the second session. Sucked, too, because I was in the middle of town and didn't have any other option onboard.

Ploom said 80 percent after 300 charges, but I have come nowhere close to that, even using it daily. This is troubling to me.

Long time lurker, but I just registered so I can respond to this. I've been enjoying my Pax for about 2 months when I suddenly noticed the battery life wasn't working "as advertised". My normal usage is one session a day (2-3 puffs on the medium setting). I would charge the unit until the light turns green, and set it on my desk after the session. The very next day around the same time, I'd fire up the Pax and check the battery level, which would show me a red light. I could probably get another one or two sessions out of it, but thought that this was a very abnormal behavior. I've since contacted Ploom about the issue and waiting to hear back.

soopafly,
Yeah I definitely agree, how long are your two seshs though? I used to used a stopwatch app on my phone to time how long it was actually heating for and got around 60 mins, is yours less than 30 mins total?

That's a good question. I've never really timed them, but they've been good long sessions. I pack the oven full and then nurse it on low for a good while. Then, I'll let her rest for awhile, stir and go for a moderate round two on medium. I had just started round two of session two when she shut down on me today. I'll have to time it more carefully.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Sonics420

Finally have a bong for my vapes.
Would i be able to use tubing from most hardware stores?

Sonics420,

Cliff Fiscal

My remedy for the temp light problem:
  • Clean the stainless steel stem of the mouthpiece very thoroughly with ISO and steel wool
  • Even a small amount of resin in any of the grooves can prevent the circuit from being completed
  • ISO and steel wool all along the stainless steel, including the upper piece of the stainless steel where the small piece moves up and down.
Over time, light resin gets into the grooves and soaking the mouthpiece in ISO is then not enough.

This has been an easy and stable fix for me. I now use steel wool to clean that area in addition to soaking/wiping with ISO and it relieves the issue.

Cliff Fiscal,
Reactions: JoeKickass

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Has anyone taken the Pax skiing yet? After all this talk about problems in low temps, I'm thinking it might be problematic. I don't want to be messing with it at 11,000 feet in 20 degree weather! I may just have to stick to the MFLB in Utah...

Edit: my 1000th post! Woohoo!

Tweek

I found my PAX to be pretty sluggish in the cold, so I would stick to something like the MFLB or a butane powered vape.

Edit: You should still bring the PAX anyways. Would be a good test :nod:

Tweek,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I was out in the parking lot at a Giants game and it was 18 degrees outside. The Pax took a little longer to heat up, but it worked fine once it was up to temp. I did have gloves on and I was insulating the oven end with my hand.

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Here is the lube direct from Ploom!!! They also sent me a new MP in a mini zip bag all soaked in this stuff:
16693_451742374872987_582278937_n_zps1bf80459.jpg

New Pax arrives Wednesday, and it looks like I will be back in business. It says there is more info about the lube on the Pax Support Page (maybe recently added?) Happy Holidaze to all of my Vapin' friends!!!!

It probably IS really Joy Jelly or lube (snort) keeps more than your Pax working smoothly, I guess.

KingAnimal

So would you have to reapply that lub after every cleaning? seems like it ISO would take it off.

I am trying to get in touch with Ploom today via website, maybe no one is working, does anyone have a support phone number? I wish I could get something done before next weekend.

KingAnimal,

KingAnimal

I would also be curious if the new MP they sent him acts better than his current one, with or without lube.

KingAnimal,

KRnoS

After carefully never trying to get iso alcohol near the temperature button, it has finally decided to stick on me (I have owned this since launch and used it at least once a week with proper cleaning)

Damn thing wont budge!

KRnoS,
My remedy for the temp light problem:
  • Clean the stainless steel stem of the mouthpiece very thoroughly with ISO and steel wool
  • Even a small amount of resin in any of the grooves can prevent the circuit from being completed
  • ISO and steel wool all along the stainless steel, including the upper piece of the stainless steel where the small piece moves up and down.
Over time, light resin gets into the grooves and soaking the mouthpiece in ISO is then not enough.

This has been an easy and stable fix for me. I now use steel wool to clean that area in addition to soaking/wiping with ISO and it relieves the issue.

Interesting. I will try that.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

TheStonedOne

Just got my Pax in the mail, have to say one session sure does get you in the right mind set.
Now I know what everyone means about the clicking it down without making it go back up haha.
No biggy its just something you need to learn how to do. Anyways overall I'm pretty satisfied might be too soon to say so but I don't regret my purchase.

Also I heard some people say the oven is a little big, I find it not very big in fact it kind of seems like a average bowl on a pipe size, and if you happen to have the Volcano vaporizer the back of the brush is perfect size to pack down herb in the Pax.

terpsfan726

Long time lurker, but I just registered so I can respond to this. I've been enjoying my Pax for about 2 months when I suddenly noticed the battery life wasn't working "as advertised". My normal usage is one session a day (2-3 puffs on the medium setting). I would charge the unit until the light turns green, and set it on my desk after the session. The very next day around the same time, I'd fire up the Pax and check the battery level, which would show me a red light. I could probably get another one or two sessions out of it, but thought that this was a very abnormal behavior. I've since contacted Ploom about the issue and waiting to hear back.

id have to agree with you somewhat. My battery is starting to diminish, only getting two/three sessions before it hits red(~10 minutes sessions). Not so pleased with the battery life.

And when you guys turn your pax(es?) up to high and take a good amount of hits off it, how dark is your avb? Mine is very dark brown(blackish)...

terpsfan726,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
this was posted from Ploom on their facebook page:

Ploom
Ploom Customer Service will be unavailable tomorrow on Christmas, but will be back on Wednesday to take care of all your Boxing Day needs.

Also, in order to ship today orders must be received by noon PT.

Happy Holidays!

jambandphan03,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
id have to agree with you somewhat. My battery is starting to diminish, only getting two/three sessions before it hits red(~10 minutes sessions). Not so pleased with the battery life.

And when you guys turn your pax(es?) up to high and take a good amount of hits off it, how dark is your avb? Mine is very dark brown(blackish)...

Mine gets VERY dark brown as well but always a shade away from black. Never combusted.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

toros23

Has anyone taken the Pax skiing yet? After all this talk about problems in low temps, I'm thinking it might be problematic. I don't want to be messing with it at 11,000 feet in 20 degree weather! I may just have to stick to the MFLB in Utah...

I did about 2 weeks ago without any issues but it was only ~32 degrees. Skiing with MFLB has been problematic for me since the smaller particles come out the back end and hard to take microhits when I am winded.

Hope you get some good snow while you are there!

toros23,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Finished "Number Eleven" the eleventh style I've done of homemade bongs for the vape. For all of my previous bad ideas, this one sure hits well. I'll get a video or pictures up here sooner than later.

I recommend people doing this if you don't have the change for glass like I do. It makes hitting the pax like a dream. I know the pax wasn't bad before, and I'm not saying that, but the hits you can take from this has the potential to wreck your face. If you really want instructions, let me know.. But your own creativity is what made this project awesome.

Happy paxer here.

ILoveCollege,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom