Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latryx

Got the new mp and the temp light issue seems to be solved.
I have a few ideas about cause... differential expansion of the metal when heated, resin buildup insulating the contact, the metal sleeve and spring getting sticky... thoughts?

Second issue, unsolved. Light flashing orange several times followed by shut down. Anyone experience this? If so, how often? Under what conditions? Ploom told me this issue is "not self-correcting" and I should return my Pax. It happened once a while back - I simply depressed the mp and popped it up... it started up again fine. I won't return based on this one little glitch. But why is it so serious in their opinion?

Latryx,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Got the new mp and the temp light issue seems to be solved.
I have a few ideas about cause... differential expansion of the metal when heated, resin buildup insulating the contact, the metal sleeve and spring getting sticky... thoughts?

Second issue, unsolved. Light flashing orange several times followed by shut down. Anyone experience this? If so, how often? Under what conditions? Ploom told me this issue is "not self-correcting" and I should return my Pax. It happened once a while back - I simply depressed the mp and popped it up... it started up again fine. I won't return based on this one little glitch. But why is it so serious in their opinion?

I think I had that happen once to me. I have not experienced it since. I think it happened when I was having trouble with the MP and the heater was going on and off rapidly. I'm not sure. But I have not experienced it since.

newVaper420,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
So from a general consensus.. The Pax is the best, as long as you remember to clean it every often (as you should clean everything often)?

I feel like most people experience problems with theirs due to lack of maintenence

ILoveCollege,

dsal1

I just got my Pax today and am still getting used to vaping after being warned by my doc that I was making my asthma worse. I do enjoy the Pax and its definitely different from my Silver Surfer. I noticed that the case gets really warm, to the point that I have to put it down. Also, after it turns blue on standby for a moment or two, it turns off. Do I have a defective unit?
Just curious but what did your doctor say about vaping and asthma.

dsal1,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Whats good yall! I ordered my PAX from VapeWorld a day ago but had to verify my card etc. etc. and now the onyx is backordered :( I instead got the purple (my favorite color anyway) shipped out today. They said I will get it most likely on Monday. Anybody else showing love to the purple PAX? (more importantly any problems with the purple model?)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I would love to have the purple model, but I don't think any of the issues are color specific. It's all a matter of the internals working right.

Sonics420

So from a general consensus.. The Pax is the best, as long as you remember to clean it every often (as you should clean everything often)?

I feel like most people experience problems with theirs due to lack of maintenence
I just got my arizer solo.. I honestly like it more for using at home, pax is great on the go.

Only problem with pax are the mouth piece issues, the higher maintenance and thats really all. I still love it and i dont mind really cleaning it. iso with a dental brush on the springs and its working like new again.

and you dont need to clean everything often, for example, my solo.. i probably dont need to ever clean that lol

Sonics420,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I would love to have the purple model, but I don't think any of the issues are color specific. It's all a matter of the internals working right.

Yeah Im just waiting on mine to see how it all looks in hand, I dont understand the cleaning/ whole mouthpiece tube thing yet, the rep told me put alcohol and let it drip out the tube, but that dont even sound safe lol

Live-N-Learn,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I just wipe my solo SS bowl with a dry/clean q-tip while its still warm, and never have to do more than that but occasionally soak the glass stems in Iso. Very low maintenance. I agree the solo is great for home use, or even on the go when you can bring more than what fits in you pocket. On our last camping trip, I took all my portables, and ended up using the Pax the most (pocket vape) and second was the INH. I didn't even touch the Solo or T1, but had I needed them, I would have been glad to have them on hand.

Ontariovapes

Whats good yall! I ordered my PAX from VapeWorld a day ago but had to verify my card etc. etc. and now the onyx is backordered :( I instead got the purple (my favorite color anyway) shipped out today. They said I will get it most likely on Monday. Anybody else showing lov
e to the purple PAX? (more importantly any problems with the purple model?)

I got my purple one in the first batch that came out. It's been perfect since day one and I've only ever given it one, very cursory, cleaning. It is really beautiful to look at. You won't be sorry you picked that colour.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yeah Im just waiting on mine to see how it all looks in hand, I dont understand the cleaning/ whole mouthpiece tube thing yet, the rep told me put alcohol and let it drip out the tube, but that dont even sound safe lol

Please read this thread about using ISO around the temp control button and where the mouthpiece connects, even if you just back up about 50 pages and go from there, lots of repeats in this thread.

jambandphan03,

Ontariovapes

The onyx was introduced July first, but the blue and purple started shipping August fifteenth. That's when I got mine.

Ontariovapes,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Please read this thread about using ISO around the temp control button and where the mouthpiece connects, even if you just back up about 50 pages and go from there, lots of repeats in this thread.

Ok will do. noob here tho, whats ISO? lol

Live-N-Learn,

Sonics420

I just wipe my solo SS bowl with a dry/clean q-tip while its still warm, and never have to do more than that but occasionally soak the glass stems in Iso. Very low maintenance. I agree the solo is great for home use, or even on the go when you can bring more than what fits in you pocket. On our last camping trip, I took all my portables, and ended up using the Pax the most (pocket vape) and second was the INH. I didn't even touch the Solo or T1, but had I needed them, I would have been glad to have them on hand.
great now im interested in getting the INH

lol

Sonics420,
Yeah, that's a tough decision. I have a pax and my inh is on the way so I hope to do a head-to-head comparison and report back.

Pax or Inh? :hmm: First world problems...

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have both, and they are going with me today out into the woods... might be the last day of sun around these parts for several months... gotta get out and enjoy the day... both work really well IMO. Pax will be the pocket vape, INH will be plugged in the car, as back up, although, I have not used INH much as a pocket vape, so this may be a good opportunity to use it in this manor, so maybe both will end up in the pocket :ko: .

Espo

I was thinking about getting the pax at first, but due to all the cleaning and maintenance, im leaning towards the inh as well.

Yes, a clean Pax is a happy Pax but dont stress out about having to clean it every time you use it. I've had my pax going on 10 weeks and I can count on one hand how many times I've cleaned it from top to bottom. I do clean the mouthpiece quite often (to avoid any chance of sticking) as well as the oven lid. When I empty the bowl out, I make sure I scrape it clean. Total cleaning depends on how much you use it and what your vaping.

Espo,
I just got my arizer solo.. I honestly like it more for using at home, pax is great on the go.

Only problem with pax are the mouth piece issues, the higher maintenance and thats really all. I still love it and i dont mind really cleaning it. iso with a dental brush on the springs and its working like new again.

and you dont need to clean everything often, for example, my solo.. i probably dont need to ever clean that lol

:smug: Having used both the Solo and Pax extensively I would say that they both require pretty much the exact same amount of maintenance. The Solo glass stem becomes very dirty after a few uses and starts to look like a crack piece and requires consistent cleaning. The only maintenance I have done with my pax is dip the mouthpiece in alcohol and use a pipe cleaner to get the residue out of the airpath. With that being said the Pax is less than half of the size of the solo and that is not including the glass piece that also has to be carried around to use the solo.

CuttyBuddy

Stu said:
Cutty, post that animated gif for tha fans one last time, will ya?
:peace:
Aside from being off topic ;) he doesn't need to. Click on his avatar.

Well would ya look at that. Old school revival baby! Nice!!!

CuttyBuddy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Boy, this thread is a roller coaster. You don't have to go that far back to see where I was getting beaten up for saying the Pax was a high maintenance device, now the majority seem to agree.

Cleaning, however, depends on how you use your Pax and what you put in it. Dry loads don't give off as much resin as weed that is still moist and sticky, so dry out your stash. If you tend to use it on high and finish the oven in one session, you probably won't get as much accumulated goo as someone who uses low temp and spaces out the hits, because when you do that, you create more opportunity for resin to form. Since the oven is always on when the light is green, when it sits around without being hit it's still producing vapour that can condense just where it can cause trouble. If you use it all day every day you'll obviously need to clean it more often than the weekend warrior. If you fail to take a clearing hit after you shut it down, you'll get more gumming.

Only you can tell how often to clean. Given the mouthpiece issue, you need to pay a little more attention to your Pax than your other devices. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to clean it more often, but it does mean you're better off checking to see if it needs cleaning after every session. As soon as you the mouthpiece starts to show signs of sticking, clean it. Keep the spring and retractor mechanism area clean. Try to keep your Pax upright until it cools down, and especially try to avoid letting it cool down inverted.

I've been told that the number of actual failures for the Pax is extremely low, especially considering how many of them are out there now. Most of the problems--and this includes most so-called temperature light issues--can be resolved and/or avoided with a little attention and proper cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom