Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeeitsbrian

I'm holding out for the 3400s and I'll find someone who will spot weld the leads. Frankly, if I found someone who would weld the tabs to the battery and solder the leads to the PCB, I'd just pay them to do it. Maybe someone will start a small service.

Who was it that used Batteries Plus? JoeKA? Dudeeitsbrian? JDSupreme? Anyway, they advertise that all their locations have a tech center that does this work. Looking at some videos online, battery tab welding is a piece of cake with the right equipment. So that's where I'll go
i ordered some of the NCR18650B (3400mAh) off ebay, have 2 of them on the way now. after i get them i plan on getting tabs spot welded to both of them, if you want i wouldn't mind selling you one, however i bought them off ebay and it wasn't cheap ($40 for 2 of them).

not sure if those 3000mAh batteries posted above would work, since it doesn't say if they are protected or unprotected, but they look unprotected to me. that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.

i would do this as a service, it's extremely easy to solder in the battery once you have the battery tabs spot welded on, however i cannot see anyone trusting a random person on the internet with their pax, understandably lol; i wouldn't either ;)
And here's just a thought about the sticky button, keep in mind that the device is made for tobacco which might not produce a sticky resin that could cause the button to mess up. Just a thought
exactly, and even if the temp button sticks playing around with it gently until it comes unstuck has worked for me in the past. once you learn not to get iso on the button, you'll never have the problem again.

Hey guys, random question, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere else and I couldn't find it when searching here.

Is it safe to use the PAX right (a minute) after cleaning it? I just cleaned it (wet the pipe cleaner with the included alcohol wipes and cleaned the tube). Then I just replaced the screen used it as I normally would. Would there be any issue/health risk with the remaining alcohol vapors used to clean it being heated up? Does it HAVE to sit for a period of time? Might be a stupid question, but my curiosity got the best of me. Too late now, but want to know for the future as well. Thanks in advance.

nomorefire,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Hey guys, random question, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere else and I couldn't find it when searching here.

Is it safe to use the PAX right (a minute) after cleaning it? I just cleaned it (wet the pipe cleaner with the included alcohol wipes and cleaned the chamber). Then I just replaced the screen used it as I normally would. Would there be any issue/health risk with the alcohol used to clean it being heated up? Does it HAVE to sit for a period of time? Might be a stupid question, but my curiosity got the best of me. Too late now, but want to know for the future as well. Thanks in advance.
the evaporation rate of iso is very fast especially against a cool stainless steel surface but again depends on how much used and percent of alcohol to water. Just use a second dry pipe cleaner to run it through and make sure theres no wet spots in mouthpiece and oven dry with pipe cleaner, give it a good blow through. I've used mine almost immediately after cleaning, just use common sense and don't flood oven with iso and swallow it when you go to inhale haha

willieR

Been here since 2009
In general you would not want to inhale isopropyl fumes, regardless of the vape. Not going to hurt you in very small amounts, but not a good idea. I would imagine heated iso vape would compound any effect.

I don't have a Pax yet, but would assume you could dry fire it with no herbs, just to evaporate the iso.

In general you would not want to inhale isopropyl fumes, regardless of the vape. Not going to hurt you in very small amounts, but not a good idea. I would imagine heated iso vape would compound any effect.

I don't have a Pax yet, but would assume you could dry fire it with no herbs, just to evaporate the iso.

Thanks. I just wet the pipe cleaner with a wipe and ran it through a few times. Don't think there was much alcohol in there. Didn't taste or smell like alcohol at all. Just didn't think about it until it was too late. Should have asked sooner. But it sat at room temp for a minute or two so I bet all of it just evaporated anyway. And the top half of the pipe cleaner was dry so it probably got any excess. I was just curious bc the manual didn't address it.

nomorefire,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
I've definitely inhaled it in my MFLB. You'd know it. Tastes sweet. That's another reason I like 99% Iso is because it evaporated quite fast and at low temps. And I think it cleans parts much better than 70%.

i7weenie

Hey all, first post here. Been following this thread ever since page one and I have to thank all of you early adopters for convincing me to get my Pax as soon as my local headshops had them in. I have had mine for about two weeks and my love for the unit is growing larger and larger each day. I love this thing because not only does it conserve your flowers but it also is so inconspicuous that I can hit it in the middle of my college campus without anyone catching wind of what I'm really doing! I just have one question for all of you Pax owners out there. Has anyone tried to get an AC to DC connector for the car for this unit or has anyone tried out that straight AC connector that someone posted from ebay/amazon? I am really looking forward to taking Pax on the road with me and I would be less hesitant if I knew I had a reliable backup power source at my disposal instead of having to plan charging times every day.

JoeKickass

They do look unprotected, but the ad is for a 3000mah "ultrafire" brand and the one in the pic is clearly a different battery, something like a GTL icr...

Ultrafire's usually say ultrafire on them: http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-brc-18650-3-7v-4000mah-li-ion-batteries-black-golden-pair-91269?item=18

They are also chinese and unfortunately very over-rated, notice how the battery says 4000mah but the actual capacity is just over half that.

Look for panasonic lithium batteries for the best quality.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
So I've been reading the thread and noticed on Pax website that you can't clean around the temp button using ISO. How safe is this device for traveling on an airplane in your check-in luggage then? Does the area around the temp button get dirty? And how can you clean it thoroughly without ISO alcohol?

newVaper420,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
A bit slow on the forum tonight... I've been brainstorming on a good way to make a solid adapter to use the Pax on my water pipes. I asked Ploom if they planned to make any kind of mouthpiece adapter, but they responded with, no plans right now. I would LOVE a glass adapter shaped to take the mouthpiece of the Pax with an 18mm male gong. I'd even settle for high temp plastic. I guess those rubber tubes will have to work for now. Wish I knew a glass blower, not sure if the shape of the mouth pieces would be easy to work with.

jambandphan03,

JoeKickass

How safe is this device for traveling on an airplane in your check-in luggage then?

Carry-on luggage, I wouldn't even try to bring an edible... checked luggage is a bit easier but you have to assume they will x-ray and rummage through it so wrap in up in pants or a shirt or something. I would also keep it with things like flashlights and mp3 players so it looks like just another gadget.

Does the area around the temp button get dirty? And how can you clean it thoroughly without ISO alcohol?

The temp button area stays remarkably clean, a simple puff of air or q-tip will quickly clean it.

I always clean my Pax without iso, just grab a few q-tips after a sesh when the Pax is still hot and get to work cleaning the ovenThe build up is much more malleable when it's hot. If you want to wait till it's cold, a paperclip will flake off the cooled resin very quickly as well.

JoeKickass,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just thought I'd pass this along from the Ploom website:

Can I clean the mouthpiece or oven lid in isopropyl alcohol?

June 8, 2012 |
Yes, isopropyl alcohol can be used. The mouthpiece can be entirely submersed. Do not entirely submerse the oven lid; we recommend using a Q-Tip or something similar.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not use isopropyl alcohol on the temperature setting button underneath the mouthpiece.

jambandphan03,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Ploom's website has a cleaning video in which they say you can soak the mouthpiece in iso, which I've done a few times with much success.

I highly recommend watching the video.

Vapinghole,

tig420

my damn mouth piece is stuck down after a fresh cleaning which i find kinda weird i hope i can get this fucker to pop back up

tig420,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Carry-on luggage, I wouldn't even try to bring an edible... checked luggage is a bit easier but you have to assume they will x-ray and rummage through it so wrap in up in pants or a shirt or something. I would also keep it with things like flashlights and mp3 players so it looks like just another gadget.

Cool, thank you for the response! I was gonna put some pipe tobacco with it, and go the vaporizing tobacco route since my doctor recommended that I stopped smoking. He told me about this. :-) Maybe I'll put tobacco in the luggage, and then wrap the PAX in my clothes.

I can't wait to get this thing!

newVaper420,

dudeeitsbrian

my damn mouth piece is stuck down after a fresh cleaning which i find kinda weird i hope i can get this fucker to pop back up
let me guess, you didn't clean it while it was still warm, and you used iso?

again, clean it while its still hot, and you do not need iso at all. it will also clean it out much better. also make sure you soak the mouthpiece for awhile to get the little ring on it clean.

dudeeitsbrian,

willieR

Been here since 2009
So dude-Brian, you would not recommend using an Iso wipe on the mouthpiece stem as they show in the video?

willieR,

dudeeitsbrian

So dude-Brian, you would not recommend using an Iso wipe on the mouthpiece stem as they show in the video?
i recommend you don't soak a pipe cleaner in iso and run it through the device while its cool, it doesn't remove all the buildup in my experience (i run though a dry pipe cleaner bent in half right away after turning off the device after my session). the rest of the device i clean with iso (swab a q-tip in iso and clean out the oven, oven lid with a q-tip, soak the mouthpiece and screen in iso for about an hour, if you want them to be really clean).

also, its a good idea to keep a dry pipe cleaner most of the way through the vapor path while cleaning the oven with iso, just to avoid any iso/resin mixture leaking down into the vapor path while you're cleaning the oven.

dudeeitsbrian,

tig420

yea i def soaked a pipe cleaner in iso and jammed it down in the vapor path apparently bad idea cause this thing is stuck and i cant even pry it up. i hope i can get this mouth piece open today and then never put iso in there again if not another email to vapeworld and warranty exchange again.

tig420,

Phizix

Lil off topic here but I was wondering why ploom called it the "Pax" so I googled "pax definition" and got this http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pax

pax (p
abreve.gif
ks)n.
1. Ecclesiastical
a. A small flat tablet adorned with a sacred image that worshipers kiss when offered the kiss of peace.
b. The kiss of peace.
2. Pax A time of wide-ranging stability when there is only a single dominant power.

The kiss of peace? Wow. Maybe my Pax is just working really well right now but I think that is incredibly cool. On ploom's site they call it "vaporization's bold icon" which seems to fit with a "flat tablet adorned with a sacred image", is the sacred image the led light "X" logo?... I find that all of these definitions could fit the pax. I guess I can really appreciate the thought they put into naming this thing and I wonder what they really meant. I'm definitely looking way too much into this...

tig420

i cant even pull it out with pliers looks like another email to vape world for an exchange god damnit

tig420,
Reactions: turk

tig420

a picture would be a pax sitting there with the mouth piece down and it will not open not much to show i press it in and it doesnt pop out

tig420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Now I don't have one of these yet, but might this be an old mouthpiece? If a thin film of resin caused this, wouldn't a quick soak of the area in Iso release it? As I said, I don't have one yet and maybe you just can't get Iso to that area safely.

willieR,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
oh how I read it you jammed a pipe cleaner and couldn't get it out. As for a stuck mouthpiece shake the mouthpiece from side to side keep rocking it till the spring gives way.

kushcabbage,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom