Ovens that hold a consistent temp

Trajectory.

My oven sucks.

I can't use it to reliably decarb my cannabis because the temperature fluctuates constantly. It cycles on and off every couple minutes.

Tried to decarb a couple grams at 220F in the oven but the temp fluctuated between 231 and 214 F.

On the stovetop, I tried to heat oil to 230 or so to put in a mason jar of bud and olive oil, but it was worse. Fluctuated b/t 170 and 255.

It's a 19" wide by 23" long Hotpoint. If your stove/oven reliably holds consistant temps, what kind is it?

MinnBobber

My oven sucks.

I can't use it to reliably decarb my cannabis because the temperature fluctuates constantly. It cycles on and off every couple minutes.

Tried to decarb a couple grams at 220F in the oven but the temp fluctuated between 231 and 214 F.

On the stovetop, I tried to heat oil to 230 or so to put in a mason jar of bud and olive oil, but it was worse. Fluctuated b/t 170 and 255.

It's a 19" wide by 23" long Hotpoint. If your stove/oven reliably holds consistant temps, what kind is it?

I would still use the oven BUT put the material in brownie pan with aluminum foil lid.
That will mitigate the 17 degree F oven temp swing if you feel you need to be that exact.

My best vessel would be a stoneware cake pan and preheat it, then add materiel. It would stay a very consistent temp with that stone mass.

Is 17F worth dealing with??
Not sure …

shredder

My oven sucks.

Sounds like your a good candidate for a decarb machine. Not only do they decarb consistently they also help mitigate the smell, at least mine does. (Nova fx)

Mine was expensive but now there are other more reasonable priced decarb machines.

Trajectory.

I've thought of getting one of those machines, but what about when it breaks? Assuming it works and doesn't over carb your cannabis. That will turn the THC into CBD.

I'd rather learn to do it myself and invest that money on a good oven.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Maybe. Where the THC starts to break down if you heat it too long.
THCa turns to CBNa when it oxidizes, not when it is heated, but I think I take your meaning. Shedder always has excellent advice for cooking with cannabis, so I would listen to them. It sounds like you might want to invest in a cannabis cookbook from your posts around the site.

VAPEHUNTER

My oven sucks.

Ever consider a Sous vide machine.
That’s my preferred method now.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I think the decarb machine is a fantastic idea.

In the mean time, I've got a very reliable method using a conventional oven. Put your material in a jar with the lid on tight. I set my oven to come on in the middle of the night when the energy is cheapest. It comes on at a touch over 100c, from cold, for 45 mins. The jar stays in the oven until the morning or even later when everything is cool. I'm going for edibles with a slight sedative effect so reduce your times if your want to preserve more of the thc for a less sedating edible. You'll need to test to see where you like it.

shredder

While we're on the subject I found it's kinda hard to over decarb. Although you can alter the effects.

For sleep capsules I run indica buds through my Nova twice in the cbd mode. And sometimes the capsules made from the buds decarbed x2 can still be too racy for good sleep.

BTW l find a mid strength indica more relaxing for sleep than a high thc indica.

I've also heated rso , if I remember correctly, to 325°F for an hour. As an attempt to make cbn.

It was a generic rso made from a variety so it had both indica and sativas in it. And since it was rso it was already decarbed.

Anyway it was severely couchlock and left you spaced but unable to sleep, or move, lol.

That doesn't sound like cbn, since it wasn't good for sleep either. Idk what it was, other than it was altered by the heat.

The best use was for pain and I gave the capsules to a friend of our adult son who likes the capsules for his spinal pain.

Edit- I was surprised at how much different the effects were from decarbing in our Nova fx from when I decarbed in our oven or crock pot.

The Nova made edibles were more uplifting and energetic than those I was used to. Maybe stronger but less "stoney" if that makes since.

I've read others saying about the same from their machines.

Last edited:

Nina

I've also heated rso
very interesting! and thanks for sharing the results of your work and experiments🙏
I bought the herboven decarboxylator last year and have been very happy with the results, it's cheap compared to other devices so maybe I just dont know what I'm missing?
the lack of smell is a big plus for me

Trajectory.

So I bought a highly rated "Hamilton Beach Portable Set & Forget 6 Quart slow cooker. Very simple controls, what could go wrong?

I set it up for a trial run to heat vegetable oil to 240F. Pushed the buttons on the clearly laid out panel, went to set the temp, and ...

The thing only heats up to 180F. Aaaaaaarg! Double and triple checked, yep. 180F max. Entered my return on Amazon.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
So I bought a highly rated "Hamilton Beach Portable Set & Forget 6 Quart slow cooker. Very simple controls, what could go wrong?

I set it up for a trial run to heat vegetable oil to 240F. Pushed the buttons on the clearly laid out panel, went to set the temp, and ...

The thing only heats up to 180F. Aaaaaaarg! Double and triple checked, yep. 180F max. Entered my return on Amazon.
How are you verifying the temperature?

Grass Yes,

Trajectory.

A few ways. First I tried all three modes at least 3 times, and the temp arrows always maxed out at 180F. Each time.

Then I looked at the owner's manual online, where there's a chart of temps for cooking certain things. The maximum listed was 180F.

I also looked at the instructions that came with it, and there is NO mention of a range of temperatures. Nor on the Amazon website.

They're probably worried about liability if the temps go higher and somebody gets burned.

Trajectory.,
Reactions: Nina

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
A few ways. First I tried all three modes at least 3 times, and the temp arrows always maxed out at 180F. Each time.

Then I looked at the owner's manual online, where there's a chart of temps for cooking certain things. The maximum listed was 180F.

I also looked at the instructions that came with it, and there is NO mention of a range of temperatures. Nor on the Amazon website.

They're probably worried about liability if the temps go higher and somebody gets burned.
Oh I misunderstood. I thought you had bought one that went up to 240F. But that was just the limit built in to the device. My mistake.

I suspect you could find a Decarboxylator or similar for about the same price. Although I know the Ardent devices cost a bit more. And it is a single-purpose device, unlike a slow cooker. Good luck!

Trajectory.

Update. I received a recommendation for a slow cooker that will heat to 240F and hold the temp for a set time. It's the Insta Pot. Very highly rated and popular.

So I went to Amazon and looked it up. Glowing reviews. I asked if it would heat liquid to 240 and hold the temp. Yes. One person said if you're looking to decarb, it's wonderful.

So I looked for the price. Not listed. Then I went to place it in my cart. No button to do so. Then I realized it's out of stock.

Strange that Amazon didn't say unavailable, which they usually do if an item is sold out. So maybe more are coming in.

Last edited:

tokenknifeguy

My oven sucks.

Propane or gas is the way to go for constant temps. But with an electric oven you can still get good decarb times. What I do is get a small pan, this really depends on how much you are decarbing, and put an aluminum foil lid on it, cover tight. Then insert a temp probe through the foil and into the pan to get a temp on the inside of the pan. I then adjust my oven to get the decarb temp I'm shooting for, plus or minus a few degrees. Once you feel the internal temp has stabilized, you can add in your weed and cover with probe still stuck through the lid. I usually wait until the internal temp comes up to the decarb temp before I start my timer on it. It has taken my edibles up to the next level doing this.

tokenknifeguy,
Reactions: shredder

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Anyway it was severely couchlock and left you spaced but unable to sleep, or move, lol.

That doesn't sound like cbn, since it wasn't good for sleep either. Idk what it was, other than it was altered by the heat.
That is what I call "low quality" :lol:

Update. I received a recommendation for a slow cooker that will heat to 240F and hold the temp for a set time. It's the Insta Pot. Very highly rated and popular.

I'm not sure you need to worry so much about those temp fluctuations and as people pointed out a ceramic container will even those out. You may be over-thinking it?

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've decarbed concentrate in my air fryer. I use a lab beaker, cover the top in aluminum foil, and bake at 300 and check after 30 minutes. If it's still making big bubbles (carbon dioxide: the by-product of decarboxylation), put it back in for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
macbill,
Reactions: shredder

CANtalk

If your stove/oven reliably holds consistant temps, what kind is it?
First thing that comes to mind is a grill, indirect heat

So I went to Amazon and looked it up. Glowing reviews. I asked if it would heat liquid to 240 and hold the temp. Yes. One person said if you're looking to decarb, it's wonderful.

So I looked for the price. Not listed. Then I went to place it in my cart. No button to do so. Then I realized it's out of stock.

Strange that Amazon didn't say unavailable, which they usually do if an item is sold out. So maybe more are coming in.
The Instant Pot inventory in Amazon will vary, but their mainstream models are replenished fairly quickly there. Deals can be big when on sale (especially seasonal offerings like Black Friday)

Here's the FC IP decarb thread & a good read, https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/instant-pot-decarb-extract.26157/

GL & report back

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
That Instapot recipe seems like a lot of heating to me... It is better and easier to decarb and extract at the same time in oil.
I think 1 hour heating at 120C in MCT oil is probably enough to do both, less with a pressure cooker...

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom