Old S&B acrylic grinder safe to use?

Old_muel

Looking to switch to grinding to avoid getting RSI or something from constant manual scissor chopping for like 20 years lol as that's all I've really ever known growing up here in aus, electric coffee grinders are popular but Ive never been a fan & hand grinders I've just never really encountered & assumed were crap till I tried a mates recently & was sold. So I dug through all my unused/retired vape gear & found an old orange acrylic storz & bickel one I recieved free with a vape purchase many years ago, now I know grinders are a big business these days & leaps & bounds have probably been made since but the S&B actually seems perfect for my needs (apart maybe from being made of plastic) so my question is are there safety concerns with acrylic grinders flaking like I've been seeing discussed with aluminum ones? Generally I'm pretty material safety conscious & my instinctual thoughts are that acrylic probably isn't the best material for the application & so "cool I need one just like this but made of SS" but thought I'd just ask you guys first & check before putting any real use on it.

Last edited:

ElMismo

A good grinder is an absolute must in my opinion. BCG is very well made and they just released an SS version.
I would go with that one if I was to choose one right now, others are good too.
Titanium might be to consider ?

Kebo1923

Own a BCG myself and they are great! If you are trying to keep it simple but worried about the plastic SCS has been making a plastic like two piece grinder out of a hemp material. Used to pick them up from time to time for trips where I knew I would have to leave them behind.

bhasma

The S&B grinder does a great job for a two piece, but I've never used it enough to know if wear is a problem. For safety and longevity I would prefer a metal grinder, and I've tried various aluminium and steel grinders (not the BCG) and the main problem I have found is they can quickly become clogged, especially with sticky buds. If you want to support an Australian small business get an Old Mate grinder. It consistently creates a fluffy medium grind, easily slicing through dense or sticky nuggets and only occasionally needing a clean. The only minor inconvenience is that the stock bearing can't be soaked in alcohol during cleaning. I don't think I'll ever need another grinder.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Looking to switch to grinding to avoid getting RSI or something from constant manual scissor chopping for like 20 years lol as that's all I've really ever known growing up here in aus, electric coffee grinders are popular but Ive never been a fan & hand grinders I've just never really encountered & assumed were crap till I tried a mates recently & was sold. So I dug through all my unused/retired vape gear & found an old orange acrylic storz & bickel one I recieved free with a vape purchase many years ago, now I know grinders are a big business these days & leaps & bounds have probably been made since but the S&B actually seems perfect for my needs (apart maybe from being made of plastic) so my question is are there safety concerns with acrylic grinders flaking like I've been seeing discussed with aluminum ones? Generally I'm pretty material safety conscious & my instinctual thoughts are that acrylic probably isn't the best material for the application & so "cool I need one just like this but made of SS" but thought I'd just ask you guys first & check before putting any real use on it.
Occasionally teeth can break off, so I would suggest to not try to grind rocks. Pick buds off of sticks, stems and don't grind as much 'sticks'.

It's easy to over-grind with a 2 piece. Just give one or two turns and then dump it.

MoltenTiger

My mate down here really gave one of those S&B jobs a proper torture test.
Definitely a cut above the average acrylic grinder.
It seemed to handle it well, the teeth held up as far as I remember but the thing was scratched and scuffed beyond recognition.

BCG is my go to, I was sent an early proto.

One time it got recognised as 'the rolls royce grinder', I recommend to treat yourself but you can use the classic orange and clear job for as long you please

The BCG never needs cleaning, but probably doesn't hurt to isopropyl it for hygeine from time to time. I've cleaned mine twice in 4 (?) years or something like that. It has had a fair bit of wear and tear on the magnet mechanism that is made worse by never cleaning and causing slight lift off from gunk on the magnets. Otherwise I can't fault it.

The Old Mate grinder looks pretty good too. Since BCG there is a new standard for the top dogs. Cool to see.

Top Bottom