OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
the difference feels almost immaterial when you explain it like that

Pretty much, the durability is more specific to its intended application as a skateboard bearing where it would rotate many thousands more times than it will in a grinder while bearing some odd dozens of pounds from the rider.

All of the bearings will grind bud fine; some will spin more than others. The more exotic options (ceramic/PEEK) that you might buy after and install yourself again might spin more, but also come with the benefit of not needing lubrication so they can be submerged in iso while cleaning.

An Old Mate in any configuration is a fantastic grinder :)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Pretty much, the durability is more specific to its intended application as a skateboard bearing where it would rotate many thousands more times than it will in a grinder while bearing some odd dozens of pounds from the rider.

All of the bearings will grind bud fine; some will spin more than others. The more exotic options (ceramic/PEEK) that you might buy after and install yourself again might spin more, but also come with the benefit of not needing lubrication so they can be submerged in iso while cleaning.

An Old Mate in any configuration is a fantastic grinder :)
thank you, that actually helps as I was thinking similarly about the it being a skate board bearing and putting it in a grinder would surely result in significantly lower forces being applied to the bearing itself.

The "submerge in iso to clean" now that is a reason to choose a different bearing, very clear reason, I guess that is what I was looking for with the other two and Its really a preference thing, "do you want to be able to spin it for a long time or not?".

Thanks mate, trying to separate them was driving me up the wall.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have watched the videos and they both look like good choices, I think the magnetic aspect that holds it together is actually a nice feature, but its nice to know there are more options.

in the video ben explains that one is a little rougher and one is smoother so when you put them onto the post one slips on and the other you have to work on a little, that's all I was referring.

So NTN doesn't spin as well but should have longer durability
the Better Bearings spin better but have a supposed shorter durability

... and that's all you really need to know / think about? the difference feels almost immaterial when you explain it like that, which is perhaps why I am over thinking it.

Yeah well it may be possible that the NTN pops on smoother? I don't think my better bearing pops on particularly smooth, or off, being one of the early designs with magnet... So I think any of that is negligible, especially now with the cutouts in the design, even with a magnet I'm sure it's easier to get off, and possible to get no magnet... So yeah I also don't think the durability is something to consider realistically for us so it came down to better spinning, which someone here got the NTN and was disappointed because it didn't spend enough for them, but for me I wanted to be able to get the colors too! ... Someday I hope to get one with a nicer ceramic bearing or whatever with peek so I don't have to worry about anything for cleaning, but I also have not had to clean mine yet and I'm not too worried about doing a careful cleaning job when the time does finally come... A lot of options really!

ChooChooCharlie

... So yeah I also don't think the durability is something to consider realistically for us so it came down to better spinning, which someone here got the NTN and was disappointed because it didn't spend enough for them ...

He meant "it didn't spin enough" ... and I later embraced the original spelling, spending more

I feel touched and honored that he remembered my dissatisfaction, and that I got spanked for it

Please Sir, may I have another?

Posted this in another thread about SS grinders:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
He meant "it didn't spin enough" ... and I later embraced the original spelling, spending more

I feel touched and honored that he remembered my dissatisfaction, and that I got spanked for it

Please Sir, may I have another?

Posted this in another thread about SS grinders:

thanks for sharing that link - I stumbled on them both (OMD & BCG) at the same time so I was wondering how people using them felt and if there was any sort of community feel as to what's the better grinder - I love the review from your perspective... it amuses me however that I can't tell if your a BCG or OMD fan :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have watched the videos and they both look like good choices, I think the magnetic aspect that holds it together is actually a nice feature, but its nice to know there are more options.

in the video ben explains that one is a little rougher and one is smoother so when you put them onto the post one slips on and the other you have to work on a little, that's all I was referring.

So NTN doesn't spin as well but should have longer durability
the Better Bearings spin better but have a supposed shorter durability

... and that's all you really need to know / think about? the difference feels almost immaterial when you explain it like that, which is perhaps why I am over thinking it.
The Better Bearings are in better colors, that was the basis for my decision, purple.

mcscruffy

For fun, here's my titanium grinder after 4 months of use with 2+ oz through it (some very sticky) since the last cleaning with multiple drops onto a wooden deck and a couple other hard surfaces (spinning top is guaranteed fail if you grip the wrong way when moving!). One drop was just the top with the teeth.

No damage other than the scratches on the bottom (near top of pic) which arrived from Australia that way.

Impressed with how clean it stays and fully in love with this, I just wish there was a slightly larger option so I don't need to break up flowers to avoid bits falling out while grinding.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I'm literally incapable of loading a grinder without breaking up into small stemless nugs loaded between the teeth lol

It’s a PITA process for me, but I do the same. I try to remove as many tiny TWIGS that I can. I like to vape the flower, not the “branches”. I find my results worth the time and effort, less coughing, more flavor. Occasionally, I’ll vape a small bud, for quick lazy fun, and the different flavors… but not often.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Occasionally, I’ll vape a small bud, for quick lazy fun, and the different flavors… but not often.

Yeah I'll do that regularly with something new and fresh especially in BAK, however even then I will dig into rip out the stem as much as I can lol always better that way

Papagiorgio

I was interested in preordering the titanium aroma 3, but I noticed the note about needing to pay via 'hello fresh' because of shopify issues... but I'm not 100% sure where that option is. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

edit: just read on Youtube in a comment from OMD that they cannot accept international payments atm. I'll keep an eye out!

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I was interested in preordering the titanium aroma 3, but I noticed the note about needing to pay via 'hello fresh' because of shopify issues... but I'm not 100% sure where that option is. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

edit: just read on Youtube in a comment from OMD that they cannot accept international payments atm. I'll keep an eye out!
FYI "Hello Clever" is the payment option, I spoke to Ben last night, but yeah no international payments atm

kato1234

I already ordered my grinder before I thought to come here and check it out. Luckily I ordered it before the international payment problem came up. I haven't read all of this but I noticed a number of people being concerned about the longevity of the bearings. Has there been problems or is this just speculation? I ask because bearing are made to do thousands of revolutions per minute and they do that for days/weeks/years and so I think it might take me a while to wear one out grinding weed by hand even if I do use it as a spinner when I'm not grinding.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I already ordered my grinder before I thought to come here and check it out. Luckily I ordered it before the international payment problem came up. I haven't read all of this but I noticed a number of people being concerned about the longevity of the bearings. Has there been problems or is this just speculation? I ask because bearing are made to do thousands of revolutions per minute and they do that for days/weeks/years and so I think it might take me a while to wear one out grinding weed by hand even if I do use it as a spinner when I'm not grinding.
I was asking questions to understand the difference between bearings and the concept of durability came up but as you say, its made to be on the bottom of skate board, I don't think using this grinder a person can hope to put in a fraction of those forces into the bearing.

There are comments in the thread about different bearing - things like the ceramic bearings, when used for a while, some dust can be found in the joint. I didn't see anything specifically saying there's a problem with durability when I was searching before and when I was asking people they were saying "in theory" the durability is different between different bearings but in the traditional uses of the bearing - not in the grinder.

(Just sharing as the last bunch of posts talking about durability started because I was asking about differences)

kato1234

I was asking questions to understand the difference between bearings and the concept of durability came up but as you say, its made to be on the bottom of skate board, I don't think using this grinder a person can hope to put in a fraction of those forces into the bearing.

There are comments in the thread about different bearing - things like the ceramic bearings, when used for a while, some dust can be found in the joint. I didn't see anything specifically saying there's a problem with durability when I was searching before and when I was asking people they were saying "in theory" the durability is different between different bearings but in the traditional uses of the bearing - not in the grinder.

(Just sharing as the last bunch of posts talking about durability started because I was asking about differences)
Thanks for feeding my sloth I could have just read all 42 pages but since I had already ordered it :tup:

Top Bottom