OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

bhasma

I just swabbed my OG grinder's post and bearing (after months of use) and the post was totally clean, but there was some black residue on the bearing. I can understand that ceramic could be more abrasive, but if the stainless steel is grinding away I would expect to find some residue on the post itself. Whatever the case, if the new design has reduced contact then any potential abrasion should now be negligible.

bhasma,

XpeeN

Just use a bolt of a size that will fit (I used the inside of a 12mm DynaBolt) to knock it out from the inside once you get a replacement, my PEEK bearing,
The OG bearing will need hammering to get out whereas my PEEK is easily pushed in/out by hand if needed but it has no lube so is safe to submerge in Iso anyway. The PEEK does not get the dark metal shaving dust either like the OG did:tup:
I own a founder edition OMD. Just installed it today after getting bothered by the shaving dust the bearing did, it spins beautifully :) . Is yours magnetic?

southeastbay

Why are you throwing stuff out because of a minute quantity of mould? Hate to say it but that stuff is everywhere. Certainly chuck the bud out but the rest just needs an ISO clean. Anything else is totally unnecessary. It's mould not polonium.
I'm sure that's the case for most people. This was on the advice of my GP, I have a lowered immune system due to medical issues which makes things a bit dicey. He mentioned I would have to bleach certain items depending on the material to ensure they were clean, and there were parts/accessories I couldn't do that with.

XpeeN

No, but it does stick together more than the ceramic,
PEEK,
Ceramic,
My PEEK acts like your ceramic, It's not sticking at all. Bought the same one you posted few months back btw. Oh well, it's better than the dust issue that's for sure, and it's my in-house grinder so it's not much of an issue.

Last edited:

bhasma

I'm sure that's the case for most people. This was on the advice of my GP, I have a lowered immune system due to medical issues which makes things a bit dicey. He mentioned I would have to bleach certain items depending on the material to ensure they were clean, and there were parts/accessories I couldn't do that with.

If mould spores are a problem, it should be noted that Cannabis is naturally associated with many different microbes, and a recent study (using a Volcano) found that:

"While there were trends of reductions in microbial counts with heating, these reductions were not statistically significant, indicating that heating using standard vaporization parameters of 70 seconds at 190°C may not eliminate the existing microbial bioburden, including any opportunistic pathogens. When cultured organisms were identified by DNA sequence analyses, several fungal and bacterial taxa were detected in the different products that have been associated with opportunistic infections or allergic reactions including Enterobacteriaceae, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, and Aspergillus."

"The findings demonstrate that heating with a vaporizer may not be considered an effective means to limit microbial hazards associated with inhaled cannabis use."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2022.1051272/full

mcscruffy

Can you not use a UVC sanitizing light?

bhasma

Stainless steel contains chromium, and the surface reacts with oxygen in the air to immediately produce a fine layer of chromium oxide (which protects the iron from oxidation and makes the steel stainless). I always remove and replace my Old Mate's lid carefully and I'm pretty sure that the steel has not been abraded. The new post design was conceived to help prevent the lid from catching on the post, with reduced abrasion being a secondary benefit, but there must be some rubbing for the (presumed) oxide to transfer and accumulate on the bearing. The natural oxide layer is not strongly bonded to the surface and is easily wiped away, and my only explanation for the black deposit that is sometimes found is oxidation rather than metal shavings.

southeastbay

If mould spores are a problem, it should be noted that Cannabis is naturally associated with many different microbes, and a recent study (using a Volcano) found that:

"While there were trends of reductions in microbial counts with heating, these reductions were not statistically significant, indicating that heating using standard vaporization parameters of 70 seconds at 190°C may not eliminate the existing microbial bioburden, including any opportunistic pathogens. When cultured organisms were identified by DNA sequence analyses, several fungal and bacterial taxa were detected in the different products that have been associated with opportunistic infections or allergic reactions including Enterobacteriaceae, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, and Aspergillus."

"The findings demonstrate that heating with a vaporizer may not be considered an effective means to limit microbial hazards associated with inhaled cannabis use."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2022.1051272/full

Thanks for posting that. I thought the gamma or ebeam irradiation that goes on with all the medicinal we get here ruins terps but helps to reduce nasties?
Can you not use a UVC sanitizing light?
I had never heard of such a device until you mentioned it.

Also just a shout out to @OMD who went above and beyond to help me out. He even used express post at his cost. Just a great human!!!

bhasma

I thought the gamma or ebeam irradiation that goes on with all the medicinal we get here ruins terps but helps to reduce nasties?
If you have irradiated medical cannabis it's not a problem (that's why it's irradiated) but since you were grinding mouldy mull I assumed that wasn't the case.

bhasma,

southeastbay

If you have irradiated medical cannabis it's not a problem (that's why it's irradiated) but since you were grinding mouldy mull I assumed that wasn't the case.
It was medicinal actually, the company it's from has had it's issues with mold. Quite a few people have posted about it. I'd ordered from them a few times and received great stuff with no issues. They're an Australian company so I like to support local, but yeah I won't be getting their products again.

southeastbay,

bhasma

It was medicinal actually, the company it's from has had it's issues with mold. Quite a few people have posted about it. I'd ordered from them a few times and received great stuff with no issues. They're an Australian company so I like to support local, but yeah I won't be getting their products again.
If the mould was irradiated it will still taste off, but it shouldn't pose any risk. And if the mould appeared after irradiation then it must be a storage problem.

I saw some reports on Reddit, and if the buds came from Kind Medical I think they were imported from Pure Sunfarms in Canada.

Last edited:
bhasma,

Adobewan

So I unknowingly used mine to grind up some bud that had mold in it. I've soaked the bottom 2 parts in ISO, unsure if that's enough to sterilize it properly, opinions seem to differ. How on earth would I clean the top part? I don't want to damage the bearing, and I'm not sure how to remove the bearing without damaging it. Any advice on this?
I recommend peroxide.
It should kill any mold or bacteria.

Adobewan,

someTooL

Have been eyeing these for a while now. Looks like the store is locked for payments. I see a note about Shopify but lost after that.

someTooL,
Reactions: LesPlenty

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
A question about the bearings - when picking a bearing for the Aroma 3; what things should you be considering? is there a specific reason you would pick one over the other?

Last edited:

Orvaxxx

I've been thinking about a Aroma 3 for a while; as my grinders are a chore unless they are freshly cleaned. When picking a bearing for the Aroma 3; what things should I be considering? is there a specific reason you would pick one over the other?
I think the ntn bearings don’t spin as freely as the normal ones.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I think the ntn bearings don’t spin as freely as the normal ones.
I thought the basic difference was :

- one bearing makes it easier to put the lid on the top, but it doesn't spin as well
- the other bearing makes it harder to put the lip on the top, but spins much better.

I am not sure if there is anything more than that which is why I am asking.

VapingYogi,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A question about the bearings - when picking a bearing for the Aroma 3; what things should you be considering? is there a specific reason you would pick one over the other?
Ben explains;

Additionally, there are ceramic bearings (not sure if he puts them in or the user obtains and does it). They allow for entire grinder to be iso soaked, since they don't have lubricant inside of them. However, they remove the magnetic quality -- the top lifts off easier but is not as firmly attached.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Additionally, there are ceramic bearings (not sure if he puts them in or the user obtains and does it). They allow for entire grinder to be iso soaked, since they don't have lubricant inside of them. However, they remove the magnetic quality -- the top lifts off easier but is not as firmly attached.
And, additionally to this you could use a PEEK bearing. It gives you the advantages of ceramic but the PEEK won't slowly cause ware on the central post. Some people who used ceramic complained of a little dust appearing after a while.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
And, additionally to this you could use a PEEK bearing. It gives you the advantages of ceramic but the PEEK won't slowly cause ware on the central post. Some people who used ceramic complained of a little dust appearing after a while.
Thanks, I knew there was something else, but it eluded me!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
one bearing makes it easier to put the lid on the top, but it doesn't spin as well
- the other bearing makes it harder to put the lip on the top, but spins much better

Yeah they don't affect how easy it is to put on or remove, the NTN doesn't spin as well but it has more supposed durability is all

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

I have watched the videos and they both look like good choices, I think the magnetic aspect that holds it together is actually a nice feature, but its nice to know there are more options.

Yeah they don't affect how easy it is to put on or remove, the NTN doesn't spin as well but it has more supposed durability is all

in the video ben explains that one is a little rougher and one is smoother so when you put them onto the post one slips on and the other you have to work on a little, that's all I was referring.

So NTN doesn't spin as well but should have longer durability
the Better Bearings spin better but have a supposed shorter durability

... and that's all you really need to know / think about? the difference feels almost immaterial when you explain it like that, which is perhaps why I am over thinking it.

Top Bottom