OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

onesixty2

Last edited:

mcscruffy

I'm still on the lookout for mine but I told him to take his time because the only rush would be from anticipation and that's not how nice things work! I'd asked for mine to be anodized at 85-87v IIRC which would be an electric blue and now Ben's got his new equipment I'm most excited to see a pic of the final product. Will be sure to share here when it arrives, I got a bunch of photo equipment but titanium anodizing almost never translates to digital well and looks completely different IRL.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
LesPlenty,
Reactions: dimmusp

onesixty2

Here is the PEEK bearing that is also totally safe to submerge in iso along with the rest of the grinder when it finally needs cleaning,
Also, I need to iso wash a heap of mason jars so I thought I may as well use the iso in a water bath in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean my OM first. I did it in a way to show how peeps with a standard bearing can do the job as the iso level did not reach the bearing,
1681545063126-jpg.45681

And then the bottom plate with the post out of the iso even though I q-tipped it clean first (I got dust from the NTN bearing before the ceramic but I have the OG non-scalloped post design. I never said anything about the dark buildup as it is not really in the grinding area:2c:),
1681545063118-jpg.45682
Ah, well, I found it all the same :) by way of posting, it seemed like you were recommending it.

onesixty2,
Reactions: LesPlenty

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hey everyone,

So yeah, the anodising had been kicking my butt. I have done lots of trials and completely overhauled my procedure and chemicals used. I imported some chemicals and reached out to some knife and watch markers here in Australia for help.

I have learnt lots and believe i have the process pretty reliable and im pretty stoked with the results.

Here's a better video of the engraving and anodising.

To those waiting on their titanium grinder still: I am deeply sorry for this delay and i am aiming out get these all out this week, It should be a smooth process from here on in on future titanium orders.

Thanks everyone!
Ben

mcscruffy

Hey everyone,

So yeah, the anodising had been kicking my butt. I have done lots of trials and completely overhauled my procedure and chemicals used. I imported some chemicals and reached out to some knife and watch markers here in Australia for help.

I have learnt lots and believe i have the process pretty reliable and im pretty stoked with the results.

To those waiting on their titanium grinder still: I am deeply sorry for this delay and i am aiming out get these all out this week, It should be a smooth process from here on in on future titanium orders.

Thanks everyone!
Ben
I read into it so much and it really takes a lot of surface prep to make it look good. I'm super impressed with what you've managed to do in your journey on this!

Cloud McLongFoot

Thanks everyone!
Ben
Holy hell those are gorgeous man, you are truly an artisan, and have such respect and care for this community. Any chance seperate parts may become available in the future ? Would love to have some different engraved top or bottom sections to swap and change in the future. Also in case I ever drop and bend the top teeth again and can’t fix it 😅

mcscruffy

Not in hand yet but Ben shared some pictures and videos as he finished mine up today. I'm extremely happy with how everything looks and now it's on the way I cannot wait to get my hands on them! I love how the two-tone anodizing worked out as well as the pipe being done to make a matching set.

Thank you, Ben, for being so friendly, communicative, transparent, and overall just easy to work with!

CloudForestWoodcraft

Insta: CloudForestWoodcraft
Accessory Maker
Anyone know if there’s a wait list I can sign myself up for?

I’ve been keeping an eye out on the website, but think I may have just missed the last opening.

CloudForestWoodcraft,

HumbleLivings

I’ve been keeping an eye out on the website, but think I may have just missed the last opening.
The best thing to do is email Ben directly at info[AT]oldmatedesigns.com
and ask him, this is what I did as i also was checking to see when grinders are available.
so the reason he does not open the flood gates is that Ben really wants to take care of everyone and
does NOT want to be late on deliveries as he is swamped with orders. but if you reach out to him he may
be able to open a slot for you like he did for me(Depending on his existing workload of course?). we just need to work with him on the time. hope this helps

Last edited:

ozeddie

I'm also waiting for a chance to get the Aroma 3. It looks like he updated his site over the weekend and is taking orders for the Aroma 2

CloudForestWoodcraft

Accessory Maker
I'm also waiting for a chance to get the Aroma 3. It looks like he updated his site over the weekend and is taking orders for the Aroma 2
And the 3 piece option said, “taking orders late June” or something like that. But now that line is missing, so was worried I missed the last buy-in 😅

Sent Ben an email about getting on a wait list.

Honestly, still between this and the SS BCG, will probably end up buying both so I can do a quick comparison.

Zasquatch

Z-stems
I just got my shipping notice a couple days ago! Stainless version en route to the opposite side of the earth. My experience so far mirrors others. Super nice guy, very responsive and very accommodating. Can’t wait to get my hands on this puppy! I have an Aluminum BCG medium grind I can compare to but I guess that’s kinda apples/oranges.

CloudForestWoodcraft

Accessory Maker
I just got my shipping notice a couple days ago! Stainless version en route to the opposite side of the earth. My experience so far mirrors others. Super nice guy, very responsive and very accommodating. Can’t wait to get my hands on this puppy! I have an Aluminum BCG medium grind I can compare to but I guess that’s kinda apples/oranges.
Would love to know your thoughts on the grind between the two! The more folks that are able to post comparative reviews the better 🙌

I have a FlowerMill which I really love, but the dust issue is something I’d like to not have lingering in the back of my mind. Wish it didn’t have that issue, because the milling function is phenomenal (edit; unless I have pretty moist bud, then it gets gummed up).

Top Bottom