OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
That's how you would control the grind consistency from fine to coarse... Essentially impacts how long the material remains in the grinding section before falling below you see, affects the size that is allowed to fall through, although consistency of the herbs and how you load them in the grinder can have an effect as well (also in the case of BCG plates they adjust the teeth on their coarse plate and shapes of the holes too)
very dry bud comes out as a really fine grind. Wetter gets a bit coarser in the A-3.
I love the grind. It is very consistent. everything similar sized.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
very dry bud comes out as a really fine grind. Wetter gets a bit coarser in the A-3.
I love the grind. It is very consistent. everything similar sized.

I don't know as that's not necessarily my experience, wetter sticks together more even after ground, while dryer ends up with more powder separate, but it also really depends how you load imo a bit how you grind too

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I don't know as that's not necessarily my experience, wetter sticks together more even after ground, while dryer ends up with more powder separate, but it also really depends how you load imo a bit how you grind too
Interesting and I also agree for the loading etc.
I only use one outdoor grown strain dry and humid, where I can compare.
Might be just that strain or that grow that behaves like this.

Shit Snacks

Interesting and I also agree for the loading etc.
I only use one outdoor grown strain dry and humid, where I can compare.
Might be just that strain or that grow that behaves like this.

Oh, yeah, I have a ton of random stuff from delivery here and each strain and buds are different and the consistency changes over time too with the amount and variety I have

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
That's a bit funny because I find it to be a consistent medium plate, while I would also prefer a finer plate option... When you order, you can ask Ben to make the holes smaller or larger though, that is what I am planning to do when I get my second one with all of the updates (not sure I need peek though)

I mean, you could just compare them. It is much closer to a BCG fine than it is a medium. Either way doesn’t change the fact that I continually need to coax material down, a coarse plate would solve that.

ETA: also just noticed for the first time that the teeth on a BCG coarse plate are thinner than they are on a medium or fine. Huh.

Shit Snacks

I mean, you could just compare them. It is much closer to a BCG fine than it is a medium. Either way doesn’t change the fact that I continually need to coax material down, a coarse plate would solve that.

ETA: also just noticed for the first time that the teeth on a BCG coarse plate are thinner than they are on a medium or fine. Huh.

Yep! I actually consider the fine plate to be more of a fine medium grind in the BCG, unless upside down to get it more fine (I never go upside down with my OMD) for me BCG fine gets it a bit finer, omg is between it and the medium plate without any upside down grinding in the BCG... But yeah to get a super fine grind consistently depending on exact variabilities I think upside down is more necessary so a fine plate with this would help me, though I could see a strong case for both of coarse plate as well!

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I noticed the change to the teeth in one of the recent update videos. Slightly more beveled tips? Enjoy!!
Yes exactly.
I continually need to coax material down, a coarse plate would solve that.
Not sure which version of teeth you have, but I have the impression that the beveled tips help push the material down faster and cleaner. No specs at all staying in the holes for now. It never was a problem for me, as the next grind will clean everything perfectly and it was just 2-3 flakes in the whole grinder anyways.
But the aroma-3 keeps improving.
But yes I also would like to experiment with a coarser plate somehow. I just expect to find out that the current plate is perfect. And I would not want to let Ben work for nothing.

SquirrelMaster

The weather is warm and sunny and my bud is nice and sticky. Here's what 2.75g of home grown, fully organic, Purple Punch looks like after entering the OMD Aroma-3. It wasn't an easy grind, don't get me wrong, but it was easier compared to nearly all my other grinders, with less weed.

solian

Medical grade 304S/S (OMD standard fare) will be OK in the dishwasher, my special order 316S/S (I own a boat and live by the sea so do not like any stainless under 316) should definitely be fine. Most cutlery is only 404 or lesser corrosion resistance than 304 and cutlery seems to handle being in a dishwasher just fine:2c:.
Sorry about the late reply.
While blunt faces of stainless steel may not be obviously affected, fine, sharp edges like quality steel knife bevels are destroyed (the theory is) via abrasion, oxidation and or corrosion from the detergent that contains abrasives and harsh chemicals, and the heat and turbulence of the cycle. Under a microscope edge damage / changes can be seen and also subjectively tested

Sorry tba, I'm a knife nerd so worship all quality steel sharp things.
🍻

mcscruffy

Sorry about the late reply.
While blunt faces of stainless steel may not be obviously affected, fine, sharp edges like quality steel knife bevels are destroyed (the theory is) via abrasion, oxidation and or corrosion from the detergent that contains abrasives and harsh chemicals, and the heat and turbulence of the cycle. Under a microscope edge damage / changes can be seen and also subjectively tested

Sorry tba, I'm a knife nerd so worship all quality steel sharp things.
🍻
I said the same recently on VA (and also a bit of a knife nerd).

Polished stainless pots like All Clad become dull if cleaned in the dishwasher even though they are dishwasher safe and a knife edge or, in this case, grinder teeth edges will dull over time from the abrasives in the detergent. I'd be in no rush to do that, I'm happy to see the teeth are sharp enough to cut fingers because that means they are going to perform for their purpose rather than focus on mashing and tearing.

I've always likened the abrasives in detergent to a chaotic form of stropping where it's slowly polishing and rounding the edges.

It definitely won't "harm" 304 stainless but it can and will affect performance over time. That may not be something many ever notice enough to care about, but with my experiences and education with higher end Japanese knives I have become cursed with the knowledge that won't let me get past my own mind on it.

That and having bought the titanium version (looking forward to it!) I am going to spend time caring for it just like I do with all my nice things.

Editing to add:
Fun first post here for me after lurking for a long time!

I was actually thinking the super sharp teeth may be aiding in overall cleanliness when comparing a super sharp knife... cutting things like tomatoes, limes, etc leave little to no liquid on the cutting board because the edge is so sharp it doesn't tear the cell walls when slicing.

It's not the same mechanism for cutting here, but I wonder if that applies to some degree and allows cleaner grinds where the sticky stuff doesn't get broken free and released as much. This would improve the quality of the ground product too. Maybe I'm thinking too deep into it, I dunno.

Last edited:

OCDeeeznuts

Aroma 2 updated with Aroma 3 improvements. Hoping to see some updates on the custom PEEK bearings he's ordered soon!

He also said in an order update he's got new anodizing equipment coming which which should give a better finish on the titanium grinders.
I’ve been using a PEEK bearing from AliExpress, so far it’s been pretty decent.
The custom bearings he ordered, unfortunately, were no good. Despite what the manufacturer told him, their tolerances were too loose allowing too much side to side rocking. The edges of the lid could contact the middle section. Of the grinder and rub while grinding. He hasn’t gave up though…still hunting for the best bearing.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I’ve been using a PEEK bearing from AliExpress
Me too, mine is a bit tight on the center post and takes more effort to remove than the magnetic version but is very easy to remove/install,
I like the pretty flower patterns a full OMD makes,
1683953832299-jpg.46385

mcscruffy

So i think i am gonna order an aroma-3.

Quick question. What is the NTN bearing/what does it do?
It's discussed in previous pages but the gist of it is that the bearing functions to spin the top to grind. The NTN bearing is heavy duty and will last longer than the others with the color designation, but it won't spin freely for as long. The others he offers can spin for a while but the NTN will only spin for a few seconds. They both do the job but the NTN doesn't double as a fidget as well.

The other thing is the NTN bearing cannot be submerged for cleaning or it can flash rust. Cleaning it would require more maintenance in the sense you would need to be much more careful and add lubrication such as food grade mineral oil after cleaning (not necessary unless you were to submerge it which would remove the pre-applied lubricant.

FNQ2

Me too, mine is a bit tight on the center post and takes more effort to remove than the magnetic version but is very easy to remove/install,
I like the pretty flower patterns a full OMD makes,
1683953832299-jpg.46385
:) love the dyna bolt drift Les :)

onesixty2

I bent a tooth :cry: was a bit too hasty in removing the bearing to do a deep clean, and applied more pressure than I thought apparently against my 2x4 brace. Oops.

e: i'm actually not even sure how I managed to do this, and didn't take a photo before putting it in a vise and just bending it back. It was one of the exterior, outside row teeth on the lid.. there's no way that happened from normal use, so I must have knocked it against the ground by mistake after hammering the bearing out? i'm so at a loss for how I applied enough force and the exterior angle to bend a tooth inward like this but oh well, one tooth just has a wave midway up now.

Was able to bend it back enough and it still spins & functions just fine. Only noticeable if you know to look for it at the right angle, but sigh, that was a foolish mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom