OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
0f25ee2d869ef533343ffaed0b830712--take-my-money-shut-up.jpg

Dankkh

The change allows the user to remove the bearing without the need for a press. The tool is $10 from your local hardware shop.

I have had customers buy ceramic bearings etc and break them while trying to install them. I had to do something to fix this issue. It was costing me lots of time and replacement parts to warranty these sorts of issues.

I need my customers to be able to easily change their bearing out for cleaning/maintenance/servicing etc.

I understand the top might not look as good to some, but now the grinder if fully functionable and serviceable by anyone.

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but: What exactly is the name of this tool I can use to remove the bearing with? Just in case I want to deep clean the grinder in the future.

Got my Aroma-3 in the mail yesterday BTW, beautiful piece of kit, haven't grinded anything with it yet but I will soon. :)

Dankkh,

FNQ2

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but: What exactly is the name of this tool I can use to remove the bearing with? Just in case I want to deep clean the grinder in the future.

Got my Aroma-3 in the mail yesterday BTW, beautiful piece of kit, haven't grinded anything with it yet but I will soon.
High :)
The tool refer was to circlip pliers. I'm pretty sure the OM change to a circlip was canned.
If your grinder has a circlip retained bearing then I'm mistaken.
Grab a OM bearing press / puller when in stock, they work very well - easy as to operate.
Have fun :)

FNQ2,
Reactions: Dankkh

Dankkh

The tool refer was to circlip pliers. I'm pretty sure the OM change to a circlip was canned.
If your grinder has a circlip retained bearing then I'm mistaken.
Grab a OM bearing press / puller when in stock, they work very well - easy as to operate.
Have fun :)

Ah, I must've missed that part, thanks! No, I don't believe I have a circlip retained bearing.

For now, I've soaked the bottom 2 pieces in ISO, then rinsed and air-dried them with a fan. For the top piece, I've carefully swabbed the teeth and the bottom surface with ISO, making sure not to touch the bearing.

I guess I should've ordered the bearing press puller alongside my grinder... ah well, maybe another time.

By the way: I'm jealous of the people who say their bearing can spin for 1-2 minutes! I can only get mine to spin for around 20 seconds, or 25 seconds, tops. Looking closely at the bearing as it spins, it looks like it's a tiny bit "wobbly". But it's very minor and obviously should have no effect on the actual operation of the grinder.

Very excited to start grinding with this thing. Thanks again for all your help.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
What exactly is the name of this tool
Bearing Puller, out of stock,
By the way: I'm jealous of the people who say their bearing can spin for 1-2 minutes! I can only get mine to spin for around 20 seconds
You may have ordered the orange NTN bearing, this is a HD bearing that does not spin as freely when new but will bed in, it will never spin for as long as others but will last many lifetimes in this job.

as for cleaning, im going to whip the bearing out and put her in the dishwasher. i put my herb ripper in there all the time and it comes out now. i cant see why this wouldn't be the same

Dampfmaschine,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
put her in the dishwasher.
I have been saving iso from cleaning grinders and mason jars for years that I will never get around to evaporating off and reclaiming so I think your dishwasher idea might make more sense, I would leave the bearing in mine as it is an all-ceramic job with no lube though.:tup:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: vapviking

FNQ2

I have been saving iso from cleaning grinders and mason jars for years that I will never get around to evaporating off and reclaiming so I think your dishwasher idea might make more sense, I would leave the bearing in mine as it is an all-ceramic job with no lube though.:tup:
I remember from school ha ha I'm 61 and on the slate was....
Some chemicals react - pit metals.

Ol mate Ben is the engineer, I'm not.
So I googled.....

7 Cleaning Products You Should Never Use on Stainless Steel
  • Harsh abrasives.
  • Scouring powders.
  • Steel wool.
  • Bleach and other chlorine products.
  • Glass cleaners that contain ammonia, such as Windex.
  • Tap water, especially if yours tends to be hard water (use clean distilled or filtered H2O instead)
  • Oven cleaners.

I sprayed Sanichlorine [sodium hypochlorite] through a good quality back pack sprayer, I forgot to rinse the unit and the next morning it was rooted.
    I'd have a look at what's in the dishwasher mix.
    ISO for me :) I don't own a dish washer :(
    ha ha @ james bond double duty vid ^

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Some chemicals react - pit metals.
Medical grade 304S/S (OMD standard fare) will be OK in the dishwasher, my special order 316S/S (I own a boat and live by the sea so do not like any stainless under 316) should definitely be fine. Most cutlery is only 404 or lesser corrosion resistance than 304 and cutlery seems to handle being in a dishwasher just fine:2c:.

FNQ2

Medical grade 304S/S (OMD standard fare) will be OK in the dishwasher, my special order 316S/S (I own a boat and live by the sea so do not like any stainless under 316) should definitely be fine. Most cutlery is only 404 or lesser corrosion resistance than 304 and cutlery seems to handle being in a dishwasher just fine:2c:.
Yes I'm the same.. beach boat loves 316 but no dish washer. I'll have a look at the constituents when I'm in town. I was considering the laser engraving as I have no idea how that is done or the wear aspect.
It would be great of Ben to do a vid on that process :)

lapis

Tap water, especially if yours tends to be hard water (use clean distilled or filtered H2O instead)
Honestly, this is the main reason I'd personally avoid the dishwasher – I have hard enough water that my dishes sometimes come out with a residue from the minerals in the water, and I absolutely do not want to have to clean that shit off my grinder with an ISO soak + qtips after already running it through the dishwasher.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I got me another one (ntn with magnet) just before the 420 sale, that arrived now. Packaging is perfect.
The fillet post is a great improvement and I see also the teeth of the grinder have changed a little and probably have even improved function! Wow.
These little improvements make quite a big difference that I did not expect.

GratefulDread

I got me another one (ntn with magnet) just before the 420 sale, that arrived now. Packaging is perfect.
The fillet post is a great improvement and I see also the teeth of the grinder have changed a little and probably have even improved function! Wow.
These little improvements make quite a big difference that I did not expect.
I noticed the change to the teeth in one of the recent update videos. Slightly more beveled tips? Enjoy!!

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
My one and only complaint is the lack of plate options. As it is it reminds me of the BCG fine plate (and why I don’t use one); I often have to assist the last few bits down. A coarse plate option would solve this IMO.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
My one and only complaint is the lack of plate options. As it is it reminds me of the BCG fine plate (and why I don’t use one); I often have to assist the last few bits down. A coarse plate option would solve this IMO.

That's a bit funny because I find it to be a consistent medium plate, while I would also prefer a finer plate option... When you order, you can ask Ben to make the holes smaller or larger though, that is what I am planning to do when I get my second one with all of the updates (not sure I need peek though)

Oden

That's a bit funny because I find it to be a consistent medium plate, while I would also prefer a finer plate option... When you order, you can ask Ben to make the holes smaller or larger though, that is what I am planning to do when I get my second one with all of the updates (not sure I need peek though)
What difference does it make to have larger or smaller holes?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What difference does it make to have larger or smaller holes?

That's how you would control the grind consistency from fine to coarse... Essentially impacts how long the material remains in the grinding section before falling below you see, affects the size that is allowed to fall through, although consistency of the herbs and how you load them in the grinder can have an effect as well (also in the case of BCG plates they adjust the teeth on their coarse plate and shapes of the holes too)

Oden

That's how you would control the grind consistency from fine to coarse... Essentially impacts how long the material remains in the grinding section before falling below you see, affects the size that is allowed to fall through, although consistency of the herbs and how you load them in the grinder can have an effect as well (also in the case of BCG plates they adjust the teeth on their coarse plate and shapes of the holes too)
Oh okay I didn't know.
I too would like the option of buying a medium plate, and a coarse plate.

Top Bottom