OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

OMD

Accessory Maker
Hey everyone, Just a quick post to let those that have ordered the Ti Model know that i am making them this weekend. I plan to film the process and make a detailed YouTube video for you all.

Also i have 100 PEEK bearings being manufactured to my specs as we speak. (Tight ID/OD tolerances and minimal clearances on the race for little rocking)

Cheers!

@Timps27 Glad this one arrived safe and sound! How's the spoon go with the Aroma?

Last edited:

Knewt

My Aroma-3 is my precious, so no metal on metal for scoops.

Ag43d8F.jpg

Cale Dooper

Hey everyone, Just a quick post to let those that have ordered the Ti Model know that i am making them this weekend. I plan to film the process and make a detailed YouTube video for you all.

Also i have 100 PEEK bearings being manufactured to my specs as we speak. (Tight ID/OD tolerances and minimal clearances on the race for little rocking)

Cheers!

If I ordered an Aroma-3 now, would it have the PEEK bearing when it shipped? I'm loving everything I'm reading about the grinder and all the communication/transparency.

_dbw_

I have been watching these for a while and decided today had to be the day, purchase made and excited new customer. But - I have always had a two piece grinder (using an eco kube currently) and ordered the Aroma 2 - have I made a mistake ordering the Aroma 2? I can't see any shots of one in this thread or the website for the inside of the 2 piece, does anyone have one?

I think I prefer the idea of the two piece as (if I am honest) I am slightly lazy and always figured a 3 piece would just annoy me over time, cleaning unloading etc.... is this completely the wrong way of thinking?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I think I prefer the idea of the two piece as (if I am honest) I am slightly lazy and always figured a 3 piece would just annoy me over time, cleaning unloading etc.... is this completely the wrong way of thinking?
I only have an Aroma-3, so I can't speak to the specific differences. However, I find 2 piece grinders much more tedious to use. Cleaning is roughly the same. I like to be able to use a scoop, or even a stem in the ground flower. A two piece grinder feels natural to me for joints, where I am just dumping everything. Anyway, if you like 2 piece grinders, I bet OMD makes a great one!

_dbw_

Thanks all for your considered input which I should have applied before pushing purchase. Having had a read and nose online I think you are all right - after 30 years maybe it's time I tried something different! Thanks to you all and I will drop OMD an email and see what I can rectify...

_dbw_

OMD got back to me and advised if I was prepared to wait a few weeks while they are manufactured, tested / trialled to confirm suitability, he would pop one of the new Peek bearings in mine prior to shipping. Unreal communication from Ben as an aside! HTH those with similar queries.

This is what I’d like to know too.
It’s the last piece of the puzzle I’m waiting to see come together before purchasing.

lapis

Hey @OMD, if the PEEK bearings that you're having made turn out to be the ideal solution, do you think you'll be putting the bearings up on your shop for those of us who already own an Aroma-3 to order and swap in ourselves? I do have a generic PEEK bearing on order, but I'm guessing the bearings you're getting will be more suited to the Aroma-3, since they're being made to your spec (and, hopefully, actually have enclosed races, unlike every PEEK 608 bearing I've found online).

zeusjames

Just finished reading the whole thread and I am sure I didn't absorb everything. I am impressed with the product and the community. I big shout out to @OMD and his attention to detail and his diligence. I want to join the owners club. I have a little bit of time to decide on the options.

I am new to vaping but not weed. I have only had my Roffu for a couple of months and have determined the quality of the grind makes a difference.

I am the proud owner of a large BCG medium grind. I have had it for two days and have used it once. I like the BCG grind and if the Aroma 3 is anything close it should work for me. I am guessing one might work for one kind of weed and the other might work best for a different weed. My home grown stash has a lot of variation.

For users who own both how do you compare the strength of the magnets? About the same? A little bit stronger? A lot stronger? I am leaning towards the magnet but don't want too much inconvenience. My hand strength and dexterity isn't what it used to be.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
It’s a different design, I have an Old Mate with no magnet and the lid is still plenty secure. The center post fully seats and the lid is heavy, holding it flat it won’t go anywhere. With the slight friction fit of the post and the bearing you can even hold it up by it’s lid at an angle and spin the bottom like a top if you want.

FNQ2

Just finished reading the whole thread and I am sure I didn't absorb everything. I am impressed with the product and the community. I big shout out to @OMD and his attention to detail and his diligence. I want to join the owners club. I have a little bit of time to decide on the options.

I am new to vaping but not weed. I have only had my Roffu for a couple of months and have determined the quality of the grind makes a difference.

I am the proud owner of a large BCG medium grind. I have had it for two days and have used it once. I like the BCG grind and if the Aroma 3 is anything close it should work for me. I am guessing one might work for one kind of weed and the other might work best for a different weed. My home grown stash has a lot of variation.

For users who own both how do you compare the strength of the magnets? About the same? A little bit stronger? A lot stronger? I am leaning towards the magnet but don't want too much inconvenience. My hand strength and dexterity isn't what it used to be.
High :) ma OM has magnets and I like it a lot.
I don't know BCG but OM chop is a really good grind to vape and consistent. I find OM whizzes through sativa in a flash. Sticky chunky lovey n sick indica just takes a moment longer. Same end result.
You will smile like the rest of us, Bens bomb lol cause the dam thing is the bomb :)
I don't know Ben [only emails] but if the ol mate was a pusser, you'd hear it from me.

solian

1. I'm *super* impressed with the energy you devote to responding to your customers.
2. If the addition of PEEK changes whether or not the unit can be cleaned in the dishwasher I would be sad- love that with my Herb Ripper.
3. In the cutaway image the engagement depth of the PEEK post into the ss looks proportionally too short for proper stability and retention.
Why would you want to put something like that in a dishwasher? The detergent is noxious and leaves a coating making beer glasses *look clean (and smelling crap).
The advantage of having a 100% isoable unit is awesome with the idea of this grinder, if no food grade isoable bearing are available bearing could be removed during occasional cleaning and resin could be recovered from iso if one cares to, or iso could just be reused several times for cleaning.
I don't trust any of those ceramic or other supposedly safe and non-abrading non stick crap coatings on grinders, blades, or any tool.

3 Feet Farms

Just got my OMD Aroma-3 and I'm so impressed with this thing. It is beautifully made and the grinding action is wonderful.

I am surprised by the weight, this thing is a beast, but it still glides buttery smooth on the grind.

I got the top magnet and the newer post design and the magnet is still really strong and almost difficult to remove. I wanted this as I plan to travel with this grinder but others may want to go for a magnet-free version.

I also got the bearing press/puller to test but will use the grinder for a little while before coming back with a fuller review of everything.

jnslprd

Just got my OMD Aroma-3 and I'm so impressed with this thing. It is beautifully made and the grinding action is wonderful.

I am surprised by the weight, this thing is a beast, but it still glides buttery smooth on the grind.

I got the top magnet and the newer post design and the magnet is still really strong and almost difficult to remove. I wanted this as I plan to travel with this grinder but others may want to go for a magnet-free version.

I also got the bearing press/puller to test but will use the grinder for a little while before coming back with a fuller review of everything.
Gotta agree. I was so shocked at the weight of this grinder and how well made it is. Even my wife, a non smoker commented on how beautiful this piece is. Grinds great and is just fun. I wish I got the top magnet and am trying to see if it is possible to retrofit one on mine.

Communication is top notch and I hope his business grows to be huge. Once you see it in person, it seems like a bargain.

Top Bottom