OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

ChooChooCharlie

New addition to the grinder galaxy arrived today, NTN version

Old-Mate-Aroma3-with-BCG-group.jpg

When opening to scoop, I'm in habit of inverting top two pieces before setting down, don't want herb bits on counter. BCGs top two pieces stay together as a single unit when I flip and set down. OldMate doesn't (on mine). When I do same flip, parts so heavy, parts separate, uncoordinated user, weak trembly fingers, clang clang clang went the trolley

Ordered mine before the top magnet addon was offered or discussed. Guess I just have to train myself to open and flip with a more conscious effort and sure grip. Or, duh, I could stop flipping. But muscle memory is a terrible thing when wasted

Last edited:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
New addition to the grinder galaxy arrived today, NTN version

Old-Mate-Aroma3-with-BCG-group.jpg

When opening to scoop, I'm in habit of inverting top two pieces before setting down, don't want herb bits on counter. BCGs top two pieces stay together as a single unit when I flip and set down. OldMate doesn't (on mine). When I do same flip, parts so heavy, parts separate, uncoordinated user, weak trembly fingers, clang clang clang went the trolley

Ordered mine before the top magnet addon was offered or discussed. Guess I just have to train myself to open and flip with a more conscious effort and sure grip. Or, duh, I could stop flipping. But muscle memory is a terrible thing when wasted
Mine is like when I pull straight only the top comes off. If I kind of break it open and "bend" the whole grinder it opens the bottom compartment. Hope I could explain that right.
Once I got it it is very practical and handy I think.

Maybe I did not understand your problem right, then sorry for my inappropriate comment :)

edit: yes I have to shake lightly for the top to come off when I flip over.

Last edited:

Tji89

That's also my experience. If I pull it straight and carefull the top goes off, if I don't and use too much strength it's like glued. If I don't do it right the bottom part follows with the top. I have to use both hands. I'm trying to get used to it though. My hands are good, so this must be a little challenging for those who don't have good hands. They should probably buy without magnet 😄

ChooChooCharlie

Or you can order another one without the magnet :brow: :D

It should have come with the magnet, only just become an option to not have it.

I am also a bit confused.

Mine has no magnet

I'm "special" I suppose -- read back through thread and seems people want the no-magnet design. I received what people asked for. Ordered Feb 6, received Feb 21. Two days after I ordered, they posted about removing magnet per testers' request. And added option at checkout

Oops, I was too early. But, if I did have the magnet, I would probably complain about it like the testers. Tails I lose, heads I lose, my tequila glass is always half empty

I ordered the NTN, thinking it was better, cost more, must be better, right? After ordering, I read about how NTN doesn't spin as well or long. Oops again. I'll gift it away, my fault for being impulsive as usual

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I ordered the NTN, thinking it was better, cost more, must be better, right? After ordering, I read about how NTN doesn't spin as well or long. Oops again. I'll gift it away, my fault for being impulsive as usual

While the ntn may spin less long I do not think it is the bader option. It is said to be more likely to stay clean in the long run.
And it can handle axial? forces better, which probably isn't a noticeable advantage.
The longer or shorter spin time doesn't affect the function of the grinder either in any way. They all spin good enough.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
To give my new OMD a warm welcome i ran completely dry to make sure i was more than ready for some serious Reloading!

Then it landed and before i knew.... I bloody ran out of storage room... Have to vape it first before i let myself grind up some more...

What can i say?

What used to be a chore,
suddenly became so much more:
Grinding!
Never knew 't could be this much fun,
now i feel kinda sad when i'm done... :D

Number 021/120 has found it's new home!

I had very high expectations reading all the positive feedback but i'm still very impressed!
This feels like the height of grinding luxury!
So smooth, so massive, so powerful, so much fun!

It's been said al lot but i just have to repeat it: this is the last grinder i'll have to buy! I might buy another but it won't be necessary! This thing is build to outlast every last one of us!
LOVE IT!!!

DRAG-0n

Just to update my review a bit on the sticking lid, it has become worse the longer I have been using it. It now sticks about 3/10 times I try to close the lid and has become much harder to take the lid off of the grinder. I have cleaned out any bud residue on the center post and even the teeth, but it hasnt helped. This grinder also never leaves the house and has been handled really carefully so mine might have just had some sort of defect. Hopefully a new bearing will sort this out.
Works great when the lid slides on but the trouble taking off the lid is becoming a pain.

Anyone replaced bearing yet and knows if a regular skateboard bearing tool will work?

OMD

Accessory Maker
Just to update my review a bit on the sticking lid, it has become worse the longer I have been using it. It now sticks about 3/10 times I try to close the lid and has become much harder to take the lid off of the grinder. I have cleaned out any bud residue on the center post and even the teeth, but it hasnt helped. This grinder also never leaves the house and has been handled really carefully so mine might have just had some sort of defect. Hopefully a new bearing will sort this out.
Works great when the lid slides on but the trouble taking off the lid is becoming a pain.

Anyone replaced bearing yet and knows if a regular skateboard bearing tool will work?
Hey mate, Sorry to hear about this issue.

Is there anyone else here having this problem?

Based on this i am making changes to the post design. I'm going to add an undercut slot at the very bottom of the post and I'm going to radius the post in 3 spots so there is a lot less contact area for the bearing to bind up on.

Here's some photos of what I'm going to do (sorry for the crude drawing).

Again guys, if you have any issues I'm here for you and stand by my products. I'm more than happy to implement changes / exchange parts / refund.

Photos

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I did try grinding upside down a bit, and now I see what people were saying how the herb does spring out the top then lol Oh well I'm really happy with the consistency never upside down grinding with this one, someday maybe I'll get another one that has customized smaller holes for a more fine grind... (and without the top magnet of course to try that and other updates as well)

@OMD oh that makes sense, when I was grinding upside down I could see how everything gets dirtier, and into those areas, over time with heavy use and no cleaning it could mess with the bearing function? So I think you're on the right track with redesign like you describe, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

DRAG-0n

Thank you so much for standing behind your product like this, it really is great to see. Im gonna try to swap this bearing out myself first as bearings are cheap to get locally and see if it helps. Don't need you to go through international shipping yet for any replacement parts as it's a hassle. Should a normal skateboard bearing tool work to pop it out? Something like this one

OMD

Accessory Maker
Thank you so much for standing behind your product like this, it really is great to see. Im gonna try to swap this bearing out myself first as bearings are cheap to get locally and see if it helps. Don't need you to go through international shipping yet for any replacement parts as it's a hassle. Should a normal skateboard bearing tool work to pop it out? Something like this one
Sounds good to me! Let me if there is anything i can do. Im happy to send replacement parts to you. Id rather front the shipping cost than have you not be able to use your grinder.

heres a PHOTO of one of my customers geting his bearing out. he put the lid between 2 notebooks and got a 12mm rod to hit the bearing out with.

I think this is the best way to go about it.

To get the bearing back in, just place some timber or something on top and smack it down to seat it.,

I did try grinding upside down a bit, and now I see what people were saying how the herb goes spring out the top then lol Oh well I'm really happy with the consistency never upside down grinding with this one, someday maybe I'll get another one that has customized smaller holes for a more fine grind... (and without the top magnet of course to try that and other updates as well)

@OMD oh that makes sense, when I was grinding upside down I could see how everything gets dirtier, and into those areas, over time with heavy use and no cleaning it could mess with the bearing function? So I think you're on the right track with redesign like you describe, keep up the good work!
I guess it has the potential mess with the function but i dont think its a big deal as the bearings can be opened and cleaned etc.

I didnt realise people are grinding upside down. Sounds like i need to get some fine plates in development sooner than later!

Shit Snacks

I didnt realise people are grinding upside down. Sounds like i need to get some fine plates in development sooner than later!

Yeah I don't know if other people are, but I do grind upside down a lot with my BCGs, here I don't find that necessary to get a consistent grind, and it can vary depending how much you load and the consistency of the herbs you load etc. However yes I think some fine plates would be a very appealing option for many people! (probably one coarser too):D:rockon:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
These were on my radar when they first came out, but then dropped off for a bit. I'd like to order one as the owner seems a class act and I like the looks with the bearing in there. Can someone fill me in on the magnet vs no magnet situation? I don't have any mobility issues so my sense is that I would prefer a magnet in case I want to use it inverted or something to that effect. Do people opt not to use them because it makes them a bit harder to open and they just aren't necessary if you only use it right-side up?

Shit Snacks

These were on my radar when they first came out, but then dropped off for a bit. I'd like to order one as the owner seems a class act and I like the looks with the bearing in there. Can someone fill me in on the magnet vs no magnet situation? I don't have any mobility issues so my sense is that I would prefer a magnet in case I want to use it inverted or something to that effect. Do people opt not to use them because it makes them a bit harder to open and they just aren't necessary if you only use it right-side up?

There is no need for the magnet in the top piece, unless you plan on throwing it around, holding it upside down etc. As I wrote above it is not ideal to use it upside down, while it is so heavy I don't consider it a grab and go option, many of us describe it as a home grinder... So it is entirely up to you, if you want to have the resistance when you are removing the top, it's not that difficult with the magnet honestly, though it hardly seems necessary to have it at all in my experience

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Should a normal skateboard bearing tool work to pop it out?
Here is a video on the bearing swap, I would use something longer to knock it out than what I used if you can find it. By the way, the hybrid ceramic/stainless steel bearing is getting slower and is about 5 seconds shorter spin time than the OG OM non NTN version.
I will make another video showing the full ceramic bearing (no effect on post magnet) install once I get it.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Sent mine to Bud
hope he sees @LesPlenty vid above
i was underwhelmed by ntn

edit: underwhelmed is an understatement

another edit: one question, why? Why ntn, differentiation from marketing standpoint is the fidget spinner angle…

then you offer consumer a more expensive option for an almost non functional spinner compared to vids, uh, ok, fc rules say once, I’m out

Last edited:
Top Bottom