Old Head Hot Rod

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Thank you! Never knew they were making these. I grabbed a few too!
20230206_160414.jpg
Right?! They are so beautiful!
I have a wax brush and oils I use to condition them, and when I do, I tap the lightest film of oil on the inside, then I heat with the Hot Rod, no herb. Basically what you'd do to season a cast iron skillet ( oil, heat, repeat) What happens is nothing sticks to the wood when you put the bowl in rotation. Instead of the resin from the flower coating the wood, it slides down through the screen and into the glass. I'm regularly getting reclaim, that I then put in flower. It means changing the screen, but that's easy. I'm doing them all this way, as the first ones turned out so well. They are a joy to handle, and the oils keep the wood from drying out, so I do this more than might be needed. The bowls are even more beautiful in person, @coolbreeze . Thank you for posting the pictures. Getting 18mm stems to switch out, is on my list. Just trying to recover a bit from the bowl binge.

coolbreeze

Right?! They are so beautiful!
I have a wax brush and oils I use to condition them, and when I do, I tap the lightest film of oil on the inside, then I heat with the Hot Rod, no herb. Basically what you'd do to season a cast iron skillet ( oil, heat, repeat) What happens is nothing sticks to the wood when you put the bowl in rotation. Instead of the resin from the flower coating the wood, it slides down through the screen and into the glass. I'm regularly getting reclaim, that I then put in flower. It means changing the screen, but that's easy. I'm doing them all this way, as the first ones turned out so well. They are a joy to handle, and the oils keep the wood from drying out, so I do this more than might be needed. The bowls are even more beautiful in person, @coolbreeze . Thank you for posting the pictures. Getting 18mm stems to switch out, is on my list. Just trying to recover a bit from the bowl binge.
Tbh, I don't think I've ever oiled my walnut one. When the new ones get here, they all get a shiny coat! Thanks again, @Madri-Gal !

smeg_it

@coolbreeze I know you posted this
That sounds nice an comfy. I rotate it with a couple other vapes that are really good on the desktop. When it's not on the desktop it's on a tray ready to be put into action anywhere it's required, even by battery! ; )
I went back and saw your post with the battery pic, but it looks like it's not sold anymore. Let me know if you, or anyone knows of a good substitute. I like the fact that the one pictured was fairly portable.

Also, I've been using a j-hook with the hot rod bowl. I saw that you had used a Dreamwood injector bowl. Do you know if other Dreamwood bowls would work? I've got a dial caliper somewhere :p

What I'd really like is to end up with a tobacco/Sherlock pipe like, setup. I used to smoke a pipe and they are nice and comfortable to hold. Plus, I love a good-looking pipe. I don't use a high setting, but would love as much cooling as possible.

After seeing your pic, I thought that round bowl is a good start. Your modified pipe looked awesome. I'm not really comfortable with my DIY skills :rolleyes:, but that's towards what I was looking for.

I know if they continued selling these, that there would be things like what I'm looking for sale already.. oh well. I'm lucky to have the artisan hot rod! :D

coolbreeze

@coolbreeze I know you posted this

I went back and saw your post with the battery pic, but it looks like it's not sold anymore. Let me know if you, or anyone knows of a good substitute. I like the fact that the one pictured was fairly portable.
You might be able to use something like this, maybe?

Also, I've been using a j-hook with the hot rod bowl. I saw that you had used a Dreamwood injector bowl. Do you know if other Dreamwood bowls would work? I've got a dial caliper somewhere :p
Yeah, they're great! You can get the 16mm ones that the heater sits on, like the SBL bowl, or the 18mm ones the injector fits into.

What I'd really like is to end up with a tobacco/Sherlock pipe like, setup. I used to smoke a pipe and they are nice and comfortable to hold. Plus, I love a good-looking pipe. I don't use a high setting, but would love as much cooling as possible.
These are not cheap but they are amazing--I bet he'd make you a custom if you wanted:

The O'Connell Woodworks Inception j-hook cools really well and also has the best angle of any I've used.

After seeing your pic, I thought that round bowl is a good start. Your modified pipe looked awesome. I'm not really comfortable with my DIY skills :rolleyes:, but that's towards what I was looking for.
If you mean the steamroller, that one was a custom and came from Ceramic Smokeware. He doesn't have them listed currently but he's a good dude, bet he'd make you one.
I know if they continued selling these, that there would be things like what I'm looking for sale already.. oh well. I'm lucky to have the artisan hot rod! :D
Yes, indeed! But I'm sure there's something out there for you, just gotta poke around!

smeg_it

You might be able to use something like this, maybe?

Yeah, they're great! You can get the 16mm ones that the heater sits on, like the SBL bowl, or the 18mm ones the injector fits into.

These are not cheap but they are amazing--I bet he'd make you a custom if you wanted:

The O'Connell Woodworks Inception j-hook cools really well and also has the best angle of any I've used.

If you mean the steamroller, that one was a custom and came from Ceramic Smokeware. He doesn't have them listed currently but he's a good dude, bet he'd make you one.

Yes, indeed! But I'm sure there's something out there for you, just gotta poke around!
Wow... I never expected this much info back! Thank YOU:D You ROCK :rockon:

I spent hours reading reviews and settled on this one. People were really please with the customer service. So hopefully, if it goes out, I'll have a recourse.

Those pipes look awesome. I just bought the last j hook from @Shit Snacks thread here. So, I'm going to have to put that on reserve.

Also, from reading one of your other post, I checked out prrllabs and went nuts and bought the crystal bowl as it was on sale for half off. I don't know if it'll be of any use to me, but it just looked sooo cool :cool: Oh they sent me a give $20 get $20 link, so if anybody wants to try it, let me know, but I'm about down for the count tonight.

So, I've blown enough cash (that I don't have) for now :doh:, but I'm going to be referencing your post, in the near future!

Oh, your search has a lot, but I think most of them are here, just under Vapo & Bong Bowls... unless that's leaving a bunch out. (I'm too tired to compare). I don't know how any of these might work with the HR but they are all gorgeous!

Thanks Again @coolbreeze lots of great information!
The funny thing is, I spent much of this afternoon, researching your other threads. Just more to put on my list!

Have a good night! :zzz:

smeg_it

Hope you all are enjoying a lovely spring afternoon!
IMG-4159.jpg
I love your pic, but it is déjà vu for me :) Guessing because much of the same equipment, and location (balcony). Still gorgeous though!

Wake and bake!
IMG-4491.jpg
That's neat! is that a prr bowl (if I'm not messing that up)?

@smeg_it

I use a Milwaukee Top Off on 5amp and 6amp batteries for my bzero and it last for hours on one battery and I have tons of the m18 batteries for work/play

175 combined watts 110v, usb a and usb c
That seems like a great idea, if you have other Milwaukee stuff. I don't really have their batteries. I've got some Bosch and for the lawn ego. Guess their newer stuff kinda sucks on the latter; But thank you, I'll keep it in mind. Always good to have these types of things floating round ;)

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
My HR had been out of commission for quite a while, I’ve gone through multiple cross-country moves over the past couple years and it has been tough to find a good spot to send it back to Brian. Well it finally happened and I was able to fire it up last night for the first time in a very long time! It hits as good as I remember, a bit more restrictive on the draw than the newer ballers, but produces tasty thick vapor and an even roasted bowl all the same!

Such a handsome collab, so happy to have one in my collection!

coolbreeze

My HR had been out of commission for quite a while, I’ve gone through multiple cross-country moves over the past couple years and it has been tough to find a good spot to send it back to Brian. Well it finally happened and I was able to fire it up last night for the first time in a very long time! It hits as good as I remember, a bit more restrictive on the draw than the newer ballers, but produces tasty thick vapor and an even roasted bowl all the same!

Such a handsome collab, so happy to have one in my collection!
Nice. Mine was out of commission for a while and it was so good to have it back. I have other ballvapes but this is really nicely tuned for its power level and such a pleasure to use. It's too bad it couldn't be continued, I think it's a classic vape I wish more people could enjoy.

Texus

Nice. Mine was out of commission for a while and it was so good to have it back. I have other ballvapes but this is really nicely tuned for its power level and such a pleasure to use. It's too bad it couldn't be continued, I think it's a classic vape I wish more people could enjoy.
Reading this, maybe I should revisit mine now that I've probably got a better spot for one in my place, away from excitable dog likely to dislodge the handle.

I was this close to listing it for sale. It is an aestheic stunner too. I'm a sucker for beautiful wood (and glass).

TastyClouds

It hits as good as I remember, a bit more restrictive on the draw than the newer ballers, but produces tasty thick vapor and an even roasted bowl all the same!

Im glad you mentioned this. Ive been daily driving my HR since I got it in late 21' and all the while wondering how it compares to all the ball vapes that have come out since then as far as delivering that milky yet tasty and easy to achieve hit. Im completely satisfied at the moment with it and have yet to try another ball vape but I do wonder.

Glad that your HR is back in working order, I hope it brings you as much enjoyment as it does for me!

TastyClouds,

coolbreeze

but I do wonder.
The one major difference is there's a top-end on power. In normal use the HR keeps up with however you want to use it, I've never noticed any lack I couldn't overcome on the dial. In that regard other ball vapes have their individual strengths, etc, but the HR keeps company. When I use it to power the Convectorium, something quite beyond its intended use, it can roast to medium but not dark. The distance to the herbs, about 1.+ inches, is too far, whereas most coiled vapes can actually reach that deeply and still be within a normalish temp range.

This is not a knock on the HR's performance at all, I'm completely satisfied with mine and love using it.

Mndeadhead

hi folks. not sure if anyone has had this problem, and has any suggestions. My Hot Rod has quit heating up. There is power to the PID, but no heat coming out of it anymore, regardless of how long of a soak I attempt to give it. I'm assuming there is a bad connection somewhere between the PID and the heater, but I'm out of my element here. Anyone know if Brian does any service work on these anymore? I have others, so not dead in the water, but would be nice to have it working again.

coolbreeze

hi folks. not sure if anyone has had this problem, and has any suggestions. My Hot Rod has quit heating up. There is power to the PID, but no heat coming out of it anymore, regardless of how long of a soak I attempt to give it. I'm assuming there is a bad connection somewhere between the PID and the heater, but I'm out of my element here. Anyone know if Brian does any service work on these anymore? I have others, so not dead in the water, but would be nice to have it working again.
Hit him up by email or PM, he's really great about it. It's a common-ish problem with the power cord; he can replace it and get it back to you really quickly. Mine's back in action!

Top Bottom