OK, I tried it and...

HumanBeing

I recently bought a Volcano Classic and an iolite and, while neither produce clouds of vapour, they've been doing the job. However, after a lifetime of relying on the usual smoker's visual signals - clouds of exhaled smoke from both tobacco and hash, and brown/blonde live material that turns grey or black when dead - this vaporisation shit was getting to me, with its invisible "smoke" and leftovers that still look good enough to toke and smoke.

So I tried it. I took what looked like two hash-bowls of perfectly fine hash dottle - or duff/ABV - from both the Volcano and the oilite and put it in a single-paper roll-up ciggy, lit it, and smoked it all. And - there was no taste of hash, no effect, and no smell of hash at all. And this hash normally almost stinks up the house when you just take it out of the wrap!

I then took some tobacco dottle - it's crunchier and looks a little more "toasted" than the fresh stuff - and rolled a ciggy with it. And it was like trying to smoke the contents of an ashtray. Nothing from it, just a truly vile taste and no nicotine hit.

Conclusion: this shit works!

I just had to satisfy my curiosity. Hopefully, I've satisfied yours as well.

:D

HumanBeing,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
LOL Wait til you actually USE your ABV for cooking or even some swampwater.

Your mind has only begun to get blown! :brow:

One more thing - since vapor is thinner than smoke, blow it into a decent light. You will be amazed at how big your clouds really are :)

AGBeer,

HumanBeing

Hey AGBeer, I don't even know what swampwater is, but I am looking out for ways to use this stuff as efficiently as possible (not the tobacco, obviously).

I used to brew my own beer. Well, me and my late dad did. Quit in '86. Didn't have the heart for it after he died. And I had to quit drinking anyway after my osteoporosis got diagnosed. I'd get plastered, fall over, break another bone. That gets weary. But I do miss the gorgeous flavour of a nice home-brewed ale or lager. We even made stout once - it was to die for...

Thanks for the tips on make the invisible visible. :)

HumanBeing,

HumanBeing

Why, thank ye kindly, SSS, that's mighty neighbourly of ye. (Geez, the very name of this stuff has me talking like a Beverly Hillbilly). :)

But seriously, thanks for the reading material, even though I can't drink booze anymore. I'm sure I'll find a way to use those ABVs...

HumanBeing,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
*Sigh* Tell me about it. I am unfortunately getting out of the hobby.

BUT, other uses for your ABV can be -

Capsules - http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1962

Browines (or other edibles) - http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=9
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1616
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3114
Or even firecrackers - I cant find that link...

But you get the point. I usually make some wicked browinies with my ABV, powder it in a coffee grinder and throw it in the mix (with some nuts and PB chips - preferrably creme de menthe) they get you stoooooooooned :)

AGBeer,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
AGBeer said:
LOL Wait til you actually USE your ABV for cooking or even some swampwater.

Your mind has only begun to get blown! :brow:

One more thing - since vapor is thinner than smoke, blow it into a decent light. You will be amazed at how big your clouds really are :)
If you use say 21g of non vaped herb for 21 pieces of edbles, it's a simple 1 g per piece, and if you assume full spectrum of cannabinoids you'll get what I call a standard response (this is highly subjective and I know I am only calibrating for myself). If you use vaped herb, a lot of people use twice the amount, to compensate for the fact that 'a lot of the goodness is gone'. This does work, and depending on how thoroughly you've vaped the herb, you could be getting up to twice the dose of the higher BP cannabinoids.

Which means more sedation, body buzz, couch lock, somnolence, etc.

The first time I had ABV edibles, I ate two 1 gram brownies (I might eat 2 non ABV brownies each consisting of 0.5g otherwise). I was okay for about an hour. Very little euphoria or wandering/meandering thoughts but an otherwise crushing body high. It took me about 10 minutes to walk 50 feet to my bedroom. I listened to Inna Gadda Da Vida (sp?) until I fell asleep.

So yeah, as AGBeer says, edibles or swampwater is the way to go with vaped herb.

I've never tried swampwater; my fear is that I would make it too strong, forget what it was, and then have 3=4 drinks before it was too late.

Tom

tdavie,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
With my abv hash leftover i just make cannabutter. Melt some butter in a dish, add the hash crush it up, give it about 5 to 7 mins on the stove. Then you filter it through a sieve or cloth, getting all the blackish powder out and your left with greenish cannabis smelling butter.I ate about two toasts with cannabutter the other day with it and was really enjoying with some good music.

@human being: how is the iolite working our for hashish?

where i live i get decent pressed hashish, the iolite being a fixed temperature vape does it work well with hashish ?
Is it easy to clean since hashish powders and can get messy ?

audiodelic,

HumanBeing

Reality keeps intruding into my life, dammit. :)

@AGBeer - thanks a million for the links to some serious reading material. Your brownie recipe sounds delicious. I think I'm gonna give this baking thing a go...

@tdavie - many thanks for your thoughts and analysis. But 10 minutes to get to bed? My God, I'm doomed... :D

@audiodelic - hey, your cannabutter recipe is much simpler than the other one I saw which called for melting butter in boiling water and a special coffee filter. I like toast, too, especially for late night munchies, so that sounds ideal.

So far, the iolite is mainly my tobacco vap and I reserve the Volcano for hash. But I've done hash in the iolite, both with and without tobacco, and it was amazing. Mind you, the stuff I'm using right now is very dry and powdery so it doesn't seem to melt and stick to the screen. I have other stuff that's like a mule kick to the head and very oily that I haven't tried in the iolite yet. But I may give it a go tonight. Thin layer of tobacco first, thick layer of tiny hash balls, thin layer of tobacco to close it up - a kind of hash sandwich. I'll report back.

Having said that, since I think I'm gonna use the iolite exclusively for tobacco in future, I personally don't really mind too much if the screen gets a bit messed up from the hash because I think I might get a Launch Box for hash use outside the home (which tended to be rare while smoking - for obvious reasons - but may now become a lot more common).

Anyway, thanks again for all the helpful comments, guys.

EDITED (for typos)

HumanBeing,

HumanBeing

Hi Ciarn,

I've actually emailed your info email addy a couple of days ago enquiring about this very subject. I'm using Old Holborn hand-rolling tobacco. I absolutely love the taste of tobacco in the iolite - I never realised it actually tasted so nice. However, I'm a little puzzled right now as to the length of time I should get from a bowl. Here follows the gist of my email to you folks at O&B:

I've been a smoker for 50 years and severe and escalating health problems now make it imperative that I stop. I've tried everything under the sun in the past - including NRT - and nothing has worked. So the iolite is my last resort.

So far I've been doing better than I've ever done before - I've smoked three cigarettes from last Saturday evening until now.

I use Old Holborn rolling tobacco and pack the iolite with about a quarter to a fifth of what I'd use in a roll-up (a good-sized pinch - the bowl is about three-quarters full). I don't tamp but leave it pretty loose. I get an average of five draws where I can taste the tobacco flavour and experience the nicotine effect. These are very nice indeed, much better than smoking. After that, I still get a little (very little) visible vapour but little or no nice taste or effect.

Having now found the xsmoker.info site, I've found that my experience is very different from that of their reviewer, who states (and demonstrates) that a smaller pinch of tobacco than I use should last at least 10 minutes. And I've just tried using the same amount that he does and got just two nicotine/flavour hits, followed by vapourless air hits.

I get a lot more than 20 useful draws from a cigarette. The net effect is that I seem to be actually using a lot more tobacco and spending much more time feeding my nicotine habit by vaporising than by smoking. Of course, you can't put a price on a pair of lungs but I still have to watch my tobacco expenditure carefully since I'm on a fixed income thanks to my multitudinous health problems.

So I wonder if you would have any advice or tips? Your my-iolite.com website is the first place I thought to look, but it's not operational yet.

HumanBeing,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Another option for your nicotine fix is Swedish snus (not the American brands - i.e. Camel.Marlboro)
OR an e-cigarette.

I have used BOTH and successfully quit the stogies each time. Currently I am using my e-cigarette and it fills my nicotine craving nicely. (Not to mention you have a plethora of flavors to vape)

AGBeer,

HumanBeing

Thanks for the suggestions, AGBeer. Snus works on the same principle as nicotine gum, i.e. absorption via the lining of the cheek. This has never worked for me. And I'm not sure I like the idea of having tobacco in my gob for a large part of the day.

E-ciggies face an uncertain future. Which is weird, because I'd have thought health authorities would be falling over themselves to ratify this system. Which is NOT the case. For me, though, too many bits and bobs to gather together for a nicotine hit - with the iolite, I just need tobacco and to make sure it's gassed up.

But worth keeping in mind if all else fails, so thanks again.

HumanBeing,
Top Bottom