Oh come all ye hippies.....Furthur is now on tour, go see them now

chucku

Charles Urbane
I went to see Furthur 3/3/2010 at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago. Of all the post Garcia Dead related bands they are the closest to capturing the magic of the boyz with JG. They were playing a traditional lineup of 2 drummers, 2 guitars (including Bob Weir), bass (Phil Lesh) and keyboards. The only meaningful difference between the GD and Furthur shows is there are now no drums->space segments (but lots of trippy jamming). Their latest addition is guitarist John Kadlecik (formerly of and a founding member of the Dark Star Orchestra). This guy totally reeks (only in the best of ways) of Jerry. His style of playing is so spot on perfect it is scary. His vocal style is also very similar to Jerry as well.

If you have seen some of the other post Dead bands (The Dead, The Other Ones, Ratdog, Phil and Friends) and been less than satisfied, run-don't walk-to get your tickets.

Those of you who are not old enough to have experienced the magic in 1995 or before, see them now. You will get a taste of what the greatest live band of all time was once like.

chucku,

lwien

chucku said:
If you have seen some of the other post Dead bands (The Dead, The Other Ones, Ratdog, Phil and Friends) and been less than satisfied, run-don't walk-to get your tickets.
Aww.........you forgot New Riders of the Purple Sage. ;)

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
chucku said:
Actually NRPS was also one of Garcia's side projects, much like JGB and Legion of Mary.

chucku,

lwien

chucku said:
lwien said:
chucku said:
Actually NRPS was also one of Garcia's side projects, much like JGB and Legion of Mary.
Ahhh.......you said "post" Dead bands. NRPS was going on at the same time. I remember going to a Dead concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and New Riders opened for them.
Funny. Concert started at 3 in the afternoon and lasted till midnight, and there were only two bands.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
chucku said:
lwien said:
Ahhh.......you said "post" Dead bands. NRPS was going on at the same time. I remember going to a Dead concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and New Riders opened for them.
Funny. Concert started at 3 in the afternoon and lasted till midnight, and there were only two bands.
You are a very lucky man.

chucku,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
chucku said:
lwien said:
That was 6/17/1972. Not only was that Pigpens last show, they also played Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu. Holy shit! Myself I also had the good fortune to see Brents last three shows and had second row for 7/9/1995 (the LAST show).

chucku,

lwien

chucku said:
lwien said:
chucku said:
That was 6/17/1972. Not only was that Pigpens last show, they also played Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu. Holy shit! Myself I also had the good fortune to see Brents last three shows and had second row for 7/9/1995 (the LAST show).
Yeah, was really fortunate to be around during those times. Saw Hendrix's last US show at the Forum when he was with Band of Gypsy's. Used to go to concerts every weekend back then. There was just too much good music not to miss. :D

But yeah, the one thing that REALLY sticks in my mind about that Dead show was the massive wall of speakers and amps on the stage and above it. I've never seen anything like that. We walked in and was like.............WTF !!! :o:o:o

lwien,

lepstadder

wow i envy you folks

I barely had hair on my balls when jerry died

But i have seen all other incantations countless times

lepstadder,

MacRadish

Caught both Denver shows. Amazing. That sound brought so much joy it brought tears, it was that good.

My inaugurating bus ride was the Roosevelt Stadium show in '72.

I'm diggin on Phil's birthday bash now, 3 sets, 1 being acoustic.

That 2nd night @ Chicago is next on the line up for vaping to.

MacRadish,

lepstadder

they just lost Jay Lane

From phils site

Over the past year, both Jill and I have come to know and love Jay for the great guy that he is. At the end of our tour he rode back on Bobs bus and informed Bob that he had an opportunity to play drums with Primus. He and Bob discussed it, and they decided that the logical time to make the change would be after the birthday show. I only found out about this the day before the show; as their relationship goes back a long way, I told them both then that I support any decision they might make. I will miss Jays enthusiasm and ebullience; hes a great guy to hang and play music with.

lepstadder,
Top Bottom