• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Noticeable Health Improvements from Vaping?

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
I vaped off and on in the 90s, then just Waterpipe combusting for about 11-12 years until last October 2013 when I switched exclusively to vapes, like others, combusting with the vape or actually smoking once since just to remind myself confirmed the bad taste and nastiness of smoke over vapor and I will never go back unless truly desperate. I'm a daily vaper like most of you here.

Anyways, since last Oct, I have noticed quite a few health improvements in my life that I can trace to only a few things one of them vaping. The other maybe more fruit in my diet. I have actually been exercising much less in this time, so that makes no sense to me and makes me think it must be the vapor.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE NOTICED:

1. I can't gain weight and my body fat has decreased. No matter how or what I eat, I can't seem to gain weight (please don't kill me, I know this is what everyone would like to have happen). I get very good nutrition, lots of veggies/fruit, but I also eat tons of fatty meat and carbs. I never really had a weight problem before, but this is now something else entirely. I haven't lost tons of weight, but my stomach has shrunk considerably so I know I am much leaner. I feel great as well. Maybe the vapor has put my metabolism back to where it should be or was prior to combustion?

2. I don't get sick. I don't get sick much anyway, but this has been a horrible winter with flus and noroviruses in people all around me. The worst I had was a slight cough and tired feeling for 3 days.

3. I have really bad gout, it runs in my family and can be very debilitating. It's like arthritis that will cripple you for a few days when it flares up. In the last few years, I've had a lot of flareups and resorted to home treatments like daily bicarbonate of soda. Around December I noticed that the mild gout feeling I have in some of my joints all the time has lessened and at mostly completely gone. I stopped taking the bicarb and still no gout symptoms.

I got none of these benefits when I was combusting, all the good stuff in the herbs must have just burned up.

I want to ask my Dr. for a MMJ recommendation, but the things I read in my state's guidelines is it's only for people with serious debilitating diseases, the closest of which for me is the gout, but I'm not sure that will be thought equivalent to cancer or crohns disease. I also medicate with cannabis for stress and depression, but I'm not sure my state will allow scrips for that either.

I'm in Massachusetts, a relatively new MMJ state. Anyone know if a Dr. would give me a written recommendation or what I should focus on when asking?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Mr. G I enjoyed your post. I too used to combust and have been vaporizing since January 2013. I have noticed my lungs are clearer and I am able to breath better. I am able to smell things again. I too notice that I'm not catching every single cold virus that I'm exposed to. With my job I am in close contact with others.

I have arthritis and cannabis helps with the pain as I can't take anti inflammatories due to problems with my kidneys from years use of ibuprofen or other meds for the pain and inflammation. Also the amazing herb helps with anxiety. I don't have a medical cannabis card and have thought seriously about getting one. The health care provider that I have with my insurance doesn't give out mmj cards.

I do live in a state where cannabis is legal and will soon be selling in cannabis stores this summer. I'm not sure how expensive it will be? I may continue to buy on the down low. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime.

MinnBobber

I want to ask my Dr. for a MMJ recommendation, but the things I read in my state's guidelines is it's only for people with serious debilitating diseases, the closest of which for me is the gout, but I'm not sure that will be thought equivalent to cancer or crohns disease. I also medicate with cannabis for stress and depression, but I'm not sure my state will allow scrips for that either.

I'm in Massachusetts, a relatively new MMJ state. Anyone know if a Dr. would give me a written recommendation or what I should focus on when asking?

Hi, I am not in a med mj state but here's my opinion. I would absolutely ask my Dr for a written MMJ recommendation. I'd say something like the research and current experiences reported in other states shows that MMJ helps with my x. y, z conditions. Would you be comfortable writing a rec for it?

Worst case is that he/she says no but med confid should keep them from mentioning to others. In fact, if they said no I'd ask a different Dr

If my state got MMJ law I would most certainly ask for it for arthritis pain and muscle pain issues.
Go for it!! good luck, let us know what happens

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Ok, thanks to you guys, I got the courage up to ask my Doctor. I did it through the online healthcare messaging system, if he wants me to come in person I will, but if not, I'll save the $20 visit copay and I express myself better in writing anyway.

I'll report back what he says, I don't know if the healthplan will cockblock me or not, there are plenty of Dr's that will give you a rec for a couple hundred dollars, but that's the kind of shady I'd rather skip if possible. There are no real dispensaries here in my state yet, but there are plenty of care givers who provide the service if my Dr can show some compassion. It would be great if I could access a better anti-inflammatory strain to continue medicating better.

Fingers crossed, send me some good karma if you can.

MinnBobber

good luck, let us know what happens and what strains you end up finding.
I hope your Dr is open-minded, realizes all the medical value MJ has.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Mister G

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Well, as I expected, the Dr. denied me a recommendation, saying that his practice is not providing them at this time. I really did not think my XX Major Health Plan was going to allow any of their doctors to provide this, when I searched their website, I could find absolutely no information on the subject at all. I am glad I did this through writing and didn't waste my time with an appt.

This is not good as it pushes people to the sham doctors where you pay for the scrip. I don't like that at all, I want my regular Dr. that is in charge of my health to provide this.

The most disappointing part of it all was when my Dr. wrote back:
"There are multiple options with respect to managing your pain in addition."

With this, I interpret it to mean he does not personally believe in the efficacy of MMJ. He wrote this even though I have told him from the first appt that I want to minimize my exposure to pharmaceuticals as much as possible, I even reiterated that in my request for the recommendation letter.

They still just want to push chemicals at you....very disappointing. Except for this, I do like him as my General Practitioner, the doctor I had before him was absolutely horrible. He was not my Dr. when I had bad gout flareups, so he doesn't know first hand how badly it affects me when it happens, whenever I've seen this doctor, I've been the perfect picture of health, that probably didn't help my cause.

Here's what I wrote back to him:

Thank you anyways for the consideration, please advise me when/if your policies begin allowing the recommendation. I am still going to continue self-medicating this way as it is very effective and I want to remain as free from pharmaceuticals as possible (I haven't even needed any of the colchicine in the last 8 months, I used to need to take it occasionally every couple months when symptoms arose,) and wanted to take advantage of the new laws regarding such. I am disappointed, but understand your position.

For the record, here is what I wrote to him originally to request the recommendation:

I wanted to inquire with you on if you would be willing to provide me with a written Doctor's recommendation for medical cannabis to treat my ongoing gout. I will be honest that I have self medicated with cannabis for a number of years and continue to use it for stress, help with sleep and as an anti-inflammatory for gout.

Last October I switched from smoking to vaporizing to reduce the harm and since that time my gout seems to have improved dramatically. I used to have constant 'twinge' feelings and soreness in my big toe and knees and in the previous few years had a number of flareups that needed Dr. Visit, put me on crutches and kept me out of work for up to a week. Since last October when I started vaporizing, these twinge feelings are completely gone, I have not taken any of my colchincine in that period (I used to take it every few weeks as symptoms would occasionally worsen) and I no longer feel like I am one bad break away from a serious gout flareup. I have tried my best to not take allupurinol and other daily prescriptions to maintain good organ health and have had many reported positive results from the MMJ.

I would like the written recommendation from you to be able to continue to take this medicine without fear of legal prosecution as MA now allows. From our past visits, I hope that you would agree I am a responsible enough patient for this type of treatment.

CarolKing

Mr. G it looks like your insurance company has the same attitude as mine. I have a managed healthcare plan. The Dr. That I have works for the managed healthcare that I have. Its too bad that this wonderful herb has such a bad reputation. Many doctors are not open minded to different alternative medicinal practices and medications. I have tried accupuncture and I highly recommend it, if it's available to you. My insurance actually covered it less the $25 copayment.

Good luck my friend in your quest to be in less pain or better yet, be pain free.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you didn't get what you needed Mr G. To be honest I would simply shop for a doctor that feels differently. Are there are any doctors in your area openly recommending MMJ? If it is really working so well it is a shame your doctor was not more open minded. These things take time to change I guess.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Thank you guys. I wanted to post this experience because I think it is a common one for many who may come through FC. I can't believe the system is encouraging me to go to a shady doctor for this, actually, I should have expected that, I still get naive sometimes when I have my hopes up for something.

Eventually the magic herb will be freed from tyranny and you won't even need a Dr.'s approval. How long that will be and whether or not I get that interim measure from a doctor before then will remain to be seen.

I am still going to self-medicate no matter what the doctor says, we all need to remember that it is ourselves that are in charge of our own health, not any outside party. Doctors are there to help and advise, not dictate. Except for this one thing, I do like my current doctor and he is helpful for other things. I left my last Dr. because he was a complete asshole that would withhold effective treatments from me (not mmj), I found this out because I went in a few times he was unavailable and saw other doctors that helped me immediately with proper medical care. Damn I hate quacks!

My only regret is that I wanted to have access to better strains, I have been limited to the same one for many years. Thank dog it's a GOOD one. :evil::evil::evil:

BarnBoy

Reformed Combustor
Short story here as I'm writing on iPhone at lunch. I started combusting at age 18. That was 32 years ago this September. Two years after, I started to get seasonal allergies so bad I could not breathe. Constantly had bouts with bronchitis at allergy season onset. Two to three months of hell, especially when I moved to California. Longer if I visited other states/seasons...

This past December I started to cough a lot. So much I was getting scared by mass of the wads. My refereeing of soccer/football matches started to suffer too; couldn't keep up with play! So I pulled out my Steinel and vape whip and finally got that system to work. Within a week the coughing almost stopped and my matches started to improve. Week two the smokers hack I always had was gone! I had someone ask if I stopped smoking due to that hack... (Started every conversation with one!)

By January started researching portables. Got one by Feb. The whole time I kept commenting to my wife on smells I hadn't noticed before; some good others not.

Well now in April, pollen counts are through the roof! I have not taken anything for allergies and this is the first time in 30 years I can smell flowers and not sneeze. My cube neighbor is about to die...

Add to this my herb consumption is much less. My source noticed this too! These two benefits are why I am so pro vape and try to get all my friends to switch...
-BB

Bezerkben

I vaped off and on in the 90s, then just Waterpipe combusting for about 11-12 years until last October 2013 when I switched exclusively to vapes, like others, combusting with the vape or actually smoking once since just to remind myself confirmed the bad taste and nastiness of smoke over vapor and I will never go back unless truly desperate. I'm a daily vaper like most of you here.

Anyways, since last Oct, I have noticed quite a few health improvements in my life that I can trace to only a few things one of them vaping. The other maybe more fruit in my diet. I have actually been exercising much less in this time, so that makes no sense to me and makes me think it must be the vapor.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE NOTICED:

1. I can't gain weight and my body fat has decreased. No matter how or what I eat, I can't seem to gain weight (please don't kill me, I know this is what everyone would like to have happen). I get very good nutrition, lots of veggies/fruit, but I also eat tons of fatty meat and carbs. I never really had a weight problem before, but this is now something else entirely. I haven't lost tons of weight, but my stomach has shrunk considerably so I know I am much leaner. I feel great as well. Maybe the vapor has put my metabolism back to where it should be or was prior to combustion?

2. I don't get sick. I don't get sick much anyway, but this has been a horrible winter with flus and noroviruses in people all around me. The worst I had was a slight cough and tired feeling for 3 days.

3. I have really bad gout, it runs in my family and can be very debilitating. It's like arthritis that will cripple you for a few days when it flares up. In the last few years, I've had a lot of flareups and resorted to home treatments like daily bicarbonate of soda. Around December I noticed that the mild gout feeling I have in some of my joints all the time has lessened and at mostly completely gone. I stopped taking the bicarb and still no gout symptoms.

I got none of these benefits when I was combusting, all the good stuff in the herbs must have just burned up.

just wanted add into this thread...

Im 21 and been vaping everyday since jan 2014. i vaporize recreationally. I can completely agree with #1. I have noticed since i have started vaping and (controlling the munchies) i have been gradually loosing weight, were as before even with combustion i would gain weight. i dont know what vaping has to do with the bodies metabolism or weight gain/loss. can any one explain?

Bezerkben,
Reactions: CarolKing

max

Out to lunch
BarnBoy said:
My source noticed this too!
For some reason I never thought of this before, but from a profit standpoint I guess herb dealers hate vaporizers. :lol:

I suspect that being able to smell flowers is the least of your benefits. I was developing a smoker's cough and had quit cig smoking ten years earlier. My lungs were protesting even the smallest hits from combustion. Vapor saved the 'high life' for me.

Bezerkben

For some reason I never thought of this before, but from a profit standpoint I guess herb dealers hate vaporizers. :lol:

I suspect that being able to smell flowers is the least of your benefits. I was developing a smoker's cough and had quit cig smoking ten years earlier. My lungs were protesting even the smallest hits from combustion. Vapor saved the 'high life' for me.
It's the way of the future soon enough everyone will have a vaporizer... I mean why wouldn't you? Right

Bezerkben,

max

Out to lunch
It's the way of the future soon enough everyone will have a vaporizer... I mean why wouldn't you? Right
Vaping will certainly increase in popularity, but some won't be interested, for various reasons- 'be a man and smoke', 'I don't get as high with a damn vape', 'vapes are too expensive', 'smoking is easier and I like it', etc. There'll always be those who prefer smoking, but vapor, as a healthier and more economical method, will continue to convert smokers. Some who initially resist will be converted down the road, after a decade or three of smoking starts to get to them like it did to me.

MinnBobber

Thank you guys. I wanted to post this experience because I think it is a common one for many who may come through FC. I can't believe the system is encouraging me to go to a shady doctor for this, actually, I should have expected that, I still get naive sometimes when I have my hopes up for something.

Eventually the magic herb will be freed from tyranny and you won't even need a Dr.'s approval. How long that will be and whether or not I get that interim measure from a doctor before then will remain to be seen.....

You gotta do what you gotta do, go to a shady Dr to get what you medically need. You should be able to get it from your Dr but F em if he doesn't know enough about MMJ benefits or if his employer pushes him to push the big pharm way. Dr shop.....

PNWMMJ

You gotta do what you gotta do, go to a shady Dr to get what you medically need. You should be able to get it from your Dr but F em if he doesn't know enough about MMJ benefits or if his employer pushes him to push the big pharm way. Dr shop.....

Could not agree more, get another doctor who has a clue. Big box doctors almost killed me with big pharma, still fighting to get back to health and it's been 3 years now. Had to quit my job, sell my house, on and on. Please find another doctor or another health plan for that matter. Or go the shady route, you'll be happy you did with what's out there in the medical dispensaries. It's your life, don't let them tell you how to live it. You only live once, do what you gotta do to be happy and if people don't like it, tough beans.

CarolKing

I went into an orthopedist last month, I have arthritis in the joints of my ankles and feet. I ve been looking for an anti inflammatory that I can take. My kidneys can't take most anti inflammatories except for Tylenol and that can effect your liver. At this point there really isn't anything I can do. They don't put in new feet joints like they do hips and knees. I have had some surgeries to scrape down the build up of calcium and clean the joints.

I have insurance and it's an HMO and my doctor works for that company, they don't give prescriptions out for medical marijuana. I do live in a legal state (Washington) but who know when the stores will open up. Possibly August only a few will open? I need guidance in getting the right marijuana for the pain that I have. I've been buying from a trusted friend for years. I get whatever herb he gets and it helps with the pain, but not enough.

Today I made an appointment to see a doctor to get a medical marijuana card, it's a pain management clinic with a naturopath and medical doctor. I feel some anxiety about going in. My appointment is this Saturday. I'm gathering up my medical records and X-rays. It difficult going through an HMO and getting your records, I didn't realize how much.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Best help improvement from MJ imo is that it gets you normal.. Normalizes everything in me.. Brings my funtions to balance .. Brings down some pain, reliefs stress .. It is positive in so many ways that i accept it as an allcure.. I think that in most we don't get ill for a single reason but as a result of the daily damage and combo of factors... Well what better way to protect your self on a large scale.. than using MJ .. It's kind of my armor that helps me decrease damage i get from living :):) http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/543218-Specific-boiling-points-and-roles-of-cannabinoids
I wanna add that i feel vaping flowers to be much much more healthier than vaping oils :)

Abysmal Vapor,

the_cascadian

Carol,

I was anxious for my appointment as well but it's really no big deal! They are usually super nice folks and do this kind of thing all the time.

I hear ya, who knows when the stores will open? I would recommend skipping the new recreational stores when they do open and go straight to Seattle Medical Marijuana Association if you're in Seattle. The folks at SMMA really know what they're talking about and can address your specific needs. I have visited many dispensaries in the Seattle area and none have been as knowledgeable or medical-focused as SMMA.

Have you tried turmeric pills? I was skeptical at first but I think they have been working to reduce inflammation for a chronic overuse injury I have. The brand I use is called Youthery. Check it out.

the_cascadian,

CarolKing

I had my appt today at the cannabis clinic. That's what it should be called. It seemed like a pretty stream lined operation. I had already filled out forms before I got there. It went very quick, and the people were real nice. I wasn't sure if I had enough information about my medical problems, I had more than enough. I left with a certificate in about 30 minutes.

I went to a medical cannabis store afterward and bought some medicinal product and will be seeing what works the best for pain, I'm very hopeful. The Bud Tender was informative it was a respectful environment. It looked like you go in one at a time, but i could be wrong. There was just one Bud tender there that I could see. You ring a bell and they come and let you in. There was no one there when I first arrived. There were two gentlemen waiting when I left. A bit of a different experience. I did fill out a form before entering into the bud room.

I'm trying out some Jelly Bean herb, right now. I was given a free small candy bar called sweet dreams for being a new customer. The guy told me to eat half then a hour later take the other half.

I guess you would call this success. Without reading some of these stories on FC, I don't know if I would have done this. You guys gave me courage to go out of my comfort level just from reading your success stories.

Last edited:

the_cascadian

Nice. Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Keep us updated on your journey should you feel so compelled. Again, I highly recommend SMMA in Fremont if you're in the area; very professional and medically-oriented folks. In my experience, they are one of a kind.

Last edited:
the_cascadian,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I had my appt today at the cannabis clinic. That's what it should be called. It seemed like a pretty stream lined operation. I had already filled out forms before I got there. It went very quick, and the people were real nice. I wasn't sure if I had enough information about my medical problems, I had more than enough. I left with a certificate in about 30 minutes.

I went to a medical cannabis store afterward and bought some medicinal product and will be seeing what works the best for pain, I'm very hopeful. The Bud Tender was informative it was a respectful environment. It looked like you go in one at a time, but i could be wrong. There was just one Bud tender there that I could see. You ring a bell and they come and let you in. There was no one there when I first arrived. There were two gentlemen waiting when I left. A bit of a different experience. I did fill out a form before entering into the bud room.

I'm trying out some Jelly Bean herb, right now. I was given a free small candy bar called sweet dreams for being a new customer. The guy told me to eat half then a hour later take the other half.

I guess you would call this success. Without reading some of these stories on FC, I don't know if I would have done this. You guys gave me courage to go out of my comfort level just from reading your success stories.
Where are you located? I'm in the Olympia area, and there are several very nice access points that I would highly recommend for newbies.

Also, do check weedmaps.com for dispensaries near you, and be sure to click on the names, check their menu, and then look at the reviews! You want friendly, patient, knowledgeable places. :) Feel free to tell them the general issue you are treating, they may have some good recommendations.

Enchantre,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
A friend of mind who is kind of a hard core raver guy.. Says vaporizing is reducing the aftereffects of the bad dope tremendously... If this can be called health improvement...

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and this is my first post.

I wanted to let others know of my health improvements since I started vaping.

I started combusting 3 years ago. After researching various models, I settled with the Pax. I've been using it with a bong and it's yielded me excellent results.

Since I made the switch last year, I haven't gotten sick. This may be a coincidence, but I feel it is because of the change. Prior to that, my work environment (a school) had me catching colds and such more often than I wanted. Since the switch, I haven't had congestion, a loss of voice, a sore throat, or that groggy feeling / constant throat clearing one gets following a typical night of combustion.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled. Being a recreational user, I'm happy that there's a better alternative to combustion that still allows me to enjoy one of my hobbies.

Another realization I had was when I cleaned out a small bubbler I own. After I washed it out and boiled it, it looks great, but the downstem was black with tar. I had to soak it in rubbing alcohol for a few hours and use a pipe cleaner to make it pretty again. Since I cleaned it months ago, I've been using it in combination with my Pax. The results? The pipe is still clean with unnoticeable discoloration. Had I been combusting, it would have been brown in a week, which would mean the same thing has happening inside my esophagus and lungs - no thank you!

This was a visible example of the difference vaping has made for not only me but anyone who makes the switch.

If there's a reader out there thinking of making the switch, do it. Oh, and like other users have reported, I have a noticeably better sense of smell and taste since I've moved over. It really, really does make a difference. Thank you FC (and vaporizers, of course).

Last edited:
Top Bottom