New to vaping - How is this for a starter setup?

Hemper

I've been smoking since the late 1970s and in recent months have more tight chest, irritation, etc so looking to transition to vaping. I should say I am not brand new to vaping - I got a Fury 2 a couple years ago that I have used on occasion, but never really got into. I smoke throughout the day and my tolerance is commensurately high.

Most of my consumption is at home, never in large groups, and I usually have no concerns with being discrete. But I have addressed those times as well. My priorities in general order of importance:

1) A portable device for home
2) Something very pocketable for on-the-go
3) Reasonably cool / not harsh vapor
4) Decent service reputation (I know all have their issues, fan clubs and detractors)
5) Decent battery life and/or removable battery

So after much research and self-educating, I have the following items in transit:

Solo 2 - intend to use for most of my at home / no discretion required vaping
Davinci Miqro - for dog walks, other local outings or occasional attendance at concerts or sporting events

Nitecore i2 charger and 2x 16350 for the Miqro

SCS 3 piece medium - I already have a 4 piece Shred grinder from the Fury purchase that I use all the time, but time to upgrade.

If I stick with the non-combustible program, I also intend to get the new XMAX V3 Pro once available in the US, looks pretty cool.

Since deciding to switch to vaping, I've been using my Fury a lot more while I wait for everything to arrive. But before I rip into any of the new items, are there any that you might suggest (or urge) I change for something else?

Thanks!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Welcome to the FC @Hemper. :razz:

I'll let others give you suggestions as I'm not in the flower vaping market right now. Although I do own a Fury 2 also and have always liked the ease of use and discreet nature of it. No matter what, congrats on the move to switch over to vaping. Your body will thank you, and you will have a better appreciation for the flavors that exist in your buds.

I am assuming you are vaping flower since you mention your grinder. If you ever have access to concentrates and wanted to give them a try, it would open a whole nother world of options in portability. You can also vape as little or as much as you want.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
if you have a high tolerance you probably won't be served well by the solo as its extraction is slow and its draw restriction is tight. you are definitely on the right track with the v3 and I think it would be worth while waiting for it rather then buying the solo. if you want something now and money is no object go tinymight, its more like a beefier v3. many Americans are ordering the v3 from Canada and there's a pretty good deal from vape parts mart with a coupon code and I think free shipping? check the v3 thread

Hemper

if you have a high tolerance you probably won't be served well by the solo as its extraction is slow and its draw restriction is tight. you are definitely on the right track with the v3 and I think it would be worth while waiting for it rather then buying the solo. if you want something now and money is no object go tinymight, its more like a beefier v3. many Americans are ordering the v3 from Canada and there's a pretty good deal from vape parts mart with a coupon code and I think free shipping? check the v3 thread
Are you saying that the Solo doesn't deliver a potent hit, or that it is a longer session? If the former that would be a concern. But I am good sitting on the couch or in the backyard sipping for a while as long as the desired result comes.

And yes, I am on VPMs wait list.

Hemper,
Reactions: Bad Dog

Bad Dog

the solo is a slow sipper, taking 10 minutes or more to finish a stem, some people find it underwhelming probably more so for those with higher tolerance. devices that deliver a faster thicker hit are more akin to the smoking experience high wise.

as a somewhat recent convert myself with only a few years under my belt I'll tell you a couple things that helped me. my first vape was a crafty but I had problems with it, first the load size was a good bit bigger than my usual bong load and it didn't get me as high as it should? I struggled with the switch and continued smoking. I picked up a Dynavap on a whim and that is when everything started to change, I found I needed higher temps then the crafty provided. I too had a higher tolerance at the time and the Dynavap load was a little small, at least in the evening when I was getting ready for bed. I picked up a ditanium which has a big load size and between the Dynavap a ditanium I successfully made the switch, only smoking a few times a month or less. I continued trying new vapes and found ones I liked better and the variety helped keep me interested.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I agree with @Shit Snacks and @Bad Dog as usual:

Fuck a Solo II. So old and slow; life is too short for those wispy hits, slow heat up, and garbage draw resistance.

Tinymight as your first high-end portable (get the wpa for water or j-hook use for better flavor and extra cooling). Firewood7 is also great and carries a bit better but those are only available on Sunday night batch drops.

V3 Pro for a cheap (I got on one of the Canadian deals Bad Dog mentioned). You'd have to wait a week or two if you decided to start with a V3.

Sticky Bricks are such fast extractors and the ritual is really nice if you're comfortable with the torch. My og Brick is still my hardest hitting portable. I seldom use it as it threatens my modest tolerance. I did recommend one to someone else and it turned out they'd have been better with a Hydro Brick or a Runt with a wpa to reduce coughing and throat irritation: the og doesn't mate with a bubbler.

Hemper

And I just posted on the Miqro thread I am having issues where the battery shows 3 dots when charging but as almost empty when operating.

I am currently charging the OE battery with the USB instead of the external. Need to find my multimeter and troubleshoot a little more.

Smoking is so much easier and less frustrating :(

Hemper,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
And I just posted on the Miqro thread I am having issues where the battery shows 3 dots when charging but as almost empty when operating.

I am currently charging the OE battery with the USB instead of the external. Need to find my multimeter and troubleshoot a little more.

If you're apt to complain about batteries and charging that's another reason to consider a Brick or even butane heavy hitters in general, although none are as portable and you did say that was a priority.

Also you can sell a Tinymight or Firewood7 used for the same price as new with almost no effort so there's little risk if one of them catches your eye. You'll be charging and swapping batteries regularly though, same with the V3

Bad Dog

I know it can be difficult with so many choices and smoking has a certain allure but don't give up now. you made a wise choice coming here for help, the best advice I can give you is slow down and take your time coming to a decision. I'd also advise you to seek a refund if possible for the malfunctioning micro that vape is not a good choice for you as its really a micro doser device, meant for a lighter user.

however I do have to agree with @bossman there is little risk in picking up a tinymight or fw7 as the resale is very good should they not meet expectations.:2c:

Hemper

If you're apt to complain about batteries and charging that's another reason to consider a Brick or even butane heavy hitters in general, although none are as portable and you did say that was a priority.

Also you can sell a Tinymight or Firewood7 used for the same price as new with almost no effort so there's little risk if one of them catches your eye. You'll be charging and swapping batteries regularly though, same with the V3

I know it can be difficult with so many choices and smoking has a certain allure but don't give up now. you made a wise choice coming here for help, the best advice I can give you is slow down and take your time coming to a decision. I'd also advise you to seek a refund if possible for the malfunctioning micro that vape is not a good choice for you as its really a micro doser device, meant for a lighter user.

however I do have to agree with @bossman there is little risk in picking up a tinymight or fw7 as the resale is very good should they not meet expectations.:2c:

I was down to the IQC and Miqro I chose the Miqro for its ultra-portability, but right now it is doing extra duty while I wait for the Solo to arrive. Maybe I prioritized form factor a little too much?? That said, I learned in the MIqro thread that I was using the wring setting on my charger (setting to 3.7v vs 4.2v / misunderstanding nominal for full) so this may be at least in part a learning curve / operator error issue.

The price and niche factor of the TM and FW7 is admittedly intimidating at my level of experience, but I am beginning to see that maybe it would be a good choice for a tolerant consumer like me to grow into. I also still have my eye on the IQC and V3 Pro.

So yes, trying to keep it fun and not getting caught up in the overwhelming number of choices.

Alexis

@Hemper

Okay so many wise people here members who are so quick to answer with very good advice who all have more experience in these particular fields them myself.

I haven't read through yet because my blood sugar level is slightly low at the moment not eaten today and little sleep I will though as usual.

I did make sure to read the opening post and I just want to suggest one thing.

Because you said that you basically are looking for something at home you said portable but you also said there is no real pressure about discreetness.

Now if it was me and it is me and has always been lol, as very good IMO despite the critics of the industry, modern portables are, I want me, at home always if optionable, acquality desktop!

First & foremost.

Plus, a quality portable too.

For at home still but also capable of performing well whenever away from home.

So just bearing in mind exactly what you were asking in the title regarding set up I'm just envisaging the minimum or really the maximum as well I would do.

That way I really think you get the best out of all worlds here.

Just my £2 Coin anyway. Speaking as a man who tries to enjoy life as fully as I'm enabled.

Last edited:

Hemper

@Hemper

Okay so many worries people here members who are so quick to answer with very good advice who all have more experience in these particular fields them myself.

I haven't read through yet because my blood sugar level is slightly low at the moment not eaten today and little sleep I will though as usual.

I did make sure to read the opening post and I just want to suggest one thing.

Because you said that you basically are looking for something at home you said portable but you also said there is no real pressure about discreetness.

Now if it was me and it is me and has always been lol, as very good IMO despite the critics of the industry, modern portables are, I want me, at home always if optionable, acquality desktop!

First & foremost.

Plus, a quality portable too.

For at home still but also capable of performing well whenever away from home.

So just bearing in mind exactly what you were asking in the title regarding set up I'm just envisaging the minimum or really the maximum as well I would do.

That way I really think you get the best out of all worlds here.

Just my £2 Coin anyway. Speaking as a man who tries to enjoy life as fully as I'm enabled.
Thanks for your insights and feel better. To clarify my point about discretion.. I do not want to have something sitting out in the open, as there could be times someone could unexpectedly come to the house. Nor do I want something larger to store. But I am looking to the Solo as a larger room-to-room portable that I can chill on the couch and take out to the backyard. I was also considering the Boundless CF/CFX and Tera for this but the Solo seemed to have a stronger following

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Hemper You're looking at conduction session style devices, they are fine but they are old, weak, and slow, I suggest checking out the ones I mentioned (TM and FW7 are well worth the price and next level, way more power and efficiency along with better flavor than these others you are mentioning) or maybe Tafée Bowle for more polished on demand pure convection experience, but yeah direct torch vapes like the sticky brick line would be really good coming from combustion and hit like no other...

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Thanks for your insights and feel better. To clarify my point about discretion.. I do not want to have something sitting out in the open, as there could be times someone could unexpectedly come to the house. Nor do I want something larger to store. But I am looking to the Solo as a larger room-to-room portable that I can chill on the couch and take out to the backyard. I was also considering the Boundless CF/CFX and Tera for this but the Solo seemed to have a stronger following
Are you trying to buy from a local store or something? That short list is a bunch of slow, dated session vapes that can't hang with the V3 even. What drew you to the Solo of all things? Didn't you say you had a tolerance. You may as well wear two Solo IIs in a beer helmet: you'll be vaping eight to twelve hits of less dense vapor for what you could extract in the first minute with something like the V3 or TM

Hemper

Are you trying to buy from a local store or something? That short list is a bunch of slow, dated session vapes that can't hang with the V3 even. What drew you to the Solo of all things? Didn't you say you had a tolerance. You may as well wear two Solo IIs in a beer helmet: you'll be vaping eight to twelve hits of less dense vapor for what you could extract in the first minute with something like the V3 or TM
I am buying online and have just been surfing around and reading - apparently a lot of stale advice I am learning after joining here. I will spend some time reading the TM and FW7 threads to come up to speed on these.

But I need to ask, if these are the best battery powered portables money can buy then why do the big mass production players not have their own competing products using similar tech?

Hemper,

Shit Snacks

I am buying online and have just been surfing around and reading - apparently a lot of stale advice I am learning after joining here.

Yeah the mainstream info and reviews are not helpful honestly, the fact that you are here shows how you needed to find out more, and this is the place where you can find out more than you ever thought existed lol

I will spend some time reading the TM and FW7 threads to come up to speed on these.

I recommend starting from the most recent pages of the threads by the way, and moving your way backwards, because they are flooded with content, also in the FW thread the talk about the seven in particular does not even begin until like page 240 if I remember correctly...

But I need to ask, if these are the best battery powered portables money can buy then why do the big mass production players not have their own competing products using similar tech?

Because they can make more money, mass producing old tech, at a cheap price and then selling it to you triple the cost... Because most people that are looking, just like you, don't even look as deep to come here, they'll never know what they're missing and many of them give up on vaping as a result lol

xmax v3pro hopefully shows them they can finally level up their game, but even that is not on the level of TM and FW7 in my opinion! Look at something like the grasshopper, total mess, trying to be that polished product, trying to be a larger company, it's a really tough industry dude, you'll see the more time you spend here, but yes come around and read other ask FC threads too, there's a lot of great info and there's a whole lot of options in the vape market!

No reason to stick with the mainstream garbage these days :tup: I mean don't get me wrong people like them, some people who have tried others here still like them, and it can be simpler, there are a lot of different ways to do this and to fit different needs, but that's why it involves a lot of research if you want to really do it the best way for you... This is why a lot of us here end up with a large collection as well!

Vaporware

I think a lot of it is companies with established products being slow to catch up, probably also higher profit margins with the stuff they’ve been making. If they aren’t seeing a big drop in sales, why would they spend more to develop and produce better products just to compete with low quantity artisan stuff?

I do think some people are a little harsh on the old conduction stuff…my DaVinci Ascent can still get my low-tolerance ass over-medicated in a few mins, but it is by far my least used device. Being able to get as much vapor as I want very quickly, and even more importantly being able to stop whenever I want without wasting flower are important to me, and on-demand vaporizers are the way to go for that.

There are a few half decent mass produced on-demand portables, but most of the best stuff with the best performance and the least plastic and silicone and other stuff I prefer to avoid is still being made in very small shops; often by a single person.

You might also try getting on the list for a Toad, but the FW7 and TM are about the best portable options you could buy now or soon. FW7s should be available for a few minutes a few hours from now, but they sell out quick! There’s advice in the thread about how to get in on the drop.

Oh, and the FW8 may be just around the corner, but I’d expect it to be at least as hard to get. Part of it been hype from here and Reddit, but it’s continued based on results.

Bad Dog

everyone here has opinions so take them with a grain of salt but that said you won't find any better advice on the internet about vapes then here. no-one here is going to try to get you to shop through their links since no one gets paid here lol we will just offer you our best advice based on our experience.

I will say this the right vape makes switching a pleasure rather then something you are forcing yourself to do.

out of all of my vapes if I could only chose one it would be my tinymight.

Hemper

everyone here has opinions so take them with a grain of salt but that said you won't find any better advice on the internet about vapes then here. no-one here is going to try to get you to shop through their links since no one gets paid here lol we will just offer you our best advice based on our experience.

I will say this the right vape makes switching a pleasure rather then something you are forcing yourself to do.

out of all of my vapes if I could only chose one it would be my tinymight.
(also @Shit Snacks and @Vaporware )

OK, so you all have my attention with the TM/FW7 .. From what I gather the TM is the more (new)user-friendly of the 2 and it seems between the 2 to be the more favored. Though, there was 1 post I saw that concerned me where a TM was dropped from the couch (2 ft?) and it suffered some functional damage.

One other criteria I neglected to mention. There are times where I will want to leave the house with the device pre-loaded and in my front pocket, and having a few hits walking from the car into the venue. I might step out to take another hit or 2 but I won't want to carry any more weed with me. Is one or the other more pocketable when preloaded?

Hemper,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
From what I gather the TM is the more (new)user-friendly of the 2 and it seems between the 2 to be the more favored.

I'd say they are both considered to be pretty much on the same popularity level, but the TM is (much) more readily available.

Both the TM and the FW7 can be preloaded, I think the FW7 is a tad more compact due to its smaller and retractable mouthpiece.

Shit Snacks

(also @Shit Snacks and @Vaporware )

OK, so you all have my attention with the TM/FW7 .. From what I gather the TM is the more (new)user-friendly of the 2 and it seems between the 2 to be the more favored.

The TM is not newer, the firewood has had many iterations, but the seven is not like any of the previous iterations really, it is the first to use ceramic chamber hybrid heating so it is like on demand conduction with some convection and plenty of power... Yeah it is more portable, although a little trickier to load and unload, little quirks... Yeah TM probably a bit more user-friendly for a novice coming to it cold?

Though, there was 1 post I saw that concerned me where a TM was dropped from the couch (2 ft?) and it suffered some functional damage.

Everything is a risk if you drop it, dropped my TM that distance from the couch and it is fine, same with my FW7 actually, you never know what's going to happen with a drop, even the mainstream mass produced crap can break with a bad drop... TM does have some glass parts and delicate parts inside it but for the most part it is durable, just try to be careful with it you know, get a good case, like a shell camera case, makes it less portable I guess but more peace of mind in that case... Not exactly a cheap device, but the performance is well worth it!

One other criteria I neglected to mention. There are times where I will want to leave the house with the device pre-loaded and in my front pocket, and having a few hits walking from the car into the venue. I might step out to take another hit or 2 but I won't want to carry any more weed with me. Is one or the other more pocketable when preloaded?

Yeah probably the FW7 in this case, but you can also do preloaded multiple stems with the TM and some people like to use capsules... Honestly for taking to a venue, that's where you might prefer to have the X-Max V3 pro, something cheap simple and easy, still enough to get you there, even if not on the TM level... Like I would probably bring the V3 before I bring my TM just out of safety, depends on the event I suppose, I would definitely be more satisfied with the TM! But oil cartridges are easiest

Top Bottom