New attempt after DaVinci fail. Looking for a joint feeling Vape.

sporty90

Hello,

I bought the original DaVinci shortly after it was released and regretted it. I didn't get high, the thing got incredibly hot, and the battery life was poor. Now I would like to make a new attempt to quit smoking.

1: Are the new vaporizers significantly better than my old DaVinci?

2: Are there any vapes you can recommend that come closest to the joint feeling?

A friend recently lent me a Mighty+, which was significantly better than my old DaVinci, but it still just wasn't for me.
The Tempest is currently on my shortlist.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Do you have a price range in mind? Do you just want a portable device or would you be open to something that requires you to plug into a wall outlet?

My personal recommendation for a joint like experience would probably be one of the dynavap style vapes (dynavap, anvil, danivape and tempest) since those replicate the joint feeling quite nicely to me. Main downside is you need a torch or an induction heater like the Wand to use, but that’s generally not much of an issue once you get used to it.

If you want a portable all in one, I always recommend the Firewood series (currently the Firewood 9) as a nice conduction forward hybrid, and most folks also recommend the Tinymight 2 as the go to pure convection portable (I haven’t tried it but others adore it). Both are about the same price (FW9 is $270, TM2 is $300), feature an on demand interface where you press the button, wait ~5-10s (for the firewood, not sure how quickly the TM2 heats up. Both take longer as the battery runs down) for the heater to warm up and take a hit.

If you want a desktop, I think a ball vape would be the best option? I don’t really have space for one so I can’t really comment on which ones work well, but others can probably provide more info.

maremaresing

Seconding the BFG Fusion or Dani for the joint like experience. It's a close analogue.

Other than that, seems like you are looking for something to puff on for long periods? That would be a conduction, and I'd even say the Pax is a nice choice. Starry 4 would probably be a good fit too.

I really really like the xmax v3 pro, but to me it replicates the "oil pen" experience. Quick warm up, and shorter draws give small vapor. Or you can do a "blinker" experience with a loooong rip. Depends on your tolerance because dosing caps don't hold a lot.

Something like a log vape for desktops would definitely scratch the itch, if you wanted a plug in device.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hello,

I bought the original DaVinci shortly after it was released and regretted it. I didn't get high, the thing got incredibly hot, and the battery life was poor. Now I would like to make a new attempt to quit smoking.

1: Are the new vaporizers significantly better than my old DaVinci?

2: Are there any vapes you can recommend that come closest to the joint feeling?

A friend recently lent me a Mighty+, which was significantly better than my old DaVinci, but it still just wasn't for me.
The Tempest is currently on my shortlist.
Are you looking to replicate the form factor, or the effects?

What is your tolerance like?

Joint like effects are going to be difficult to replicate due to much less nasties in the inhale that also effect the feeling. The vape high is much cleaner but allot of smokers don't give it enough chance before giving up because they don't feel as 'high". Using more material helped me get over that difficulty but obviously increased my tolerance in the process. A heavy hitting desktop would be my recommendation if you've got a tolerance. The phase3 zx is my favourite ball vape, hits very hard with a small amount of material and once hot (5 mins) is always ready to vape.

For joint like form factor any of the ones listed above would work for you.

maremaresing

I will die on the hill that you get the same effects from vaping at high temperatures with full extraction as you do smoking. This is based on my experience with vapes that couldn't do that and finding vapes that could. Most people I see complaining about "vapes not working" are either using vaporizers that can't deliver that experience (IME), or they are using them wrong.

On that note, something like the terpcicle would hit the "joint like strength" as well as the "blowing infinite easy clouds in a short time period" mark. Different form factor for sure, but worth noting.

sporty90

@Octavia: I don't care about the price, but it should definitely be a mobile vape.

@maremaresing: That's exactly what I'm looking for, something where I can vape for a relatively long time. On the topic of tolerance. Back when I had the DaVinci, this was very high but today, after a break of several years, this no longer exists. After cannabis was legalized here in Germany, I grew it myself for the first time and smoked a joint again a few days ago, what can I say, I was incredibly high.

I'll mostly use the vape on the weekends, I don't want to go through the hassle of burning harmful substances anymore. What do you think of Mad Heaters' Tempest?

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
What do you think of Mad Heaters' Tempest?
Hopefully someone will be by who has tried one, but I’m hoping to pick one up whenever the drop finally goes live. I really enjoy my dynavaps for their effects, but the flavour is mid at best after the first hit, and for me it takes about 3-5 hits to finish a bowl with an IH. Hoping that the Tempest’s better heat retention, cooling and convection heating will be a nice counterbalance to the basically pure conduction profile of the dynavap. The beta testers in the Tempest thread seem very happy with their units!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Octavia: I don't care about the price, but it should definitely be a mobile vape.

I'd highly recommend the tinymight?

@maremaresing: That's exactly what I'm looking for, something where I can vape for a relatively long time. On the topic of tolerance. Back when I had the DaVinci, this was very high but today, after a break of several years, this no longer exists. After cannabis was legalized here in Germany, I grew it myself for the first time and smoked a joint again a few days ago, what can I say, I was incredibly high.

Yeah that original DV is quite old now, was never that powerful, had some appeal though... I really wanted to like the follow up ascent though found it very disappointing... The new IQ2 is much more decent however not super powerful?

I'll mostly use the vape on the weekends, I don't want to go through the hassle of burning harmful substances anymore. What do you think of Mad Heaters' Tempest?

Yeah there are a lot of great options today, if you like that style with the separate heater than that is a great option, you could also go for the thermal accumulator variation (that's what I have) although I prefer the battery powered TM2 and FW9 personally

TedJones

I will die on the hill that you get the same effects from vaping at high temperatures with full extraction as you do smoking.
@maremaresing: That's exactly what I'm looking for, something where I can vape for a relatively long time.
I’d recommend the Tempest based on what you’re after. It can be closed down for a very restrictive joint like experience and the cap can provide plenty of heat for the thinner walled Ti bowl that holds a good amount of herb. When I first got it last year, my abv looked like french roast until I could get my technique tamed down.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Hey @sporty90. I think I know what you mean with joint feeling vape. You want to turn it on, like lighting up a joint, and puff for a relaxing time. I wouldn't recommend the tinymight or a dynavap for this. Maybe the firewood. I used to smoke joints and don't feel that most vapes give the same feel. But I think best match is from arizer. I haven't tried one but the Solo 3 looks like a good replacement for a joint session. I don't know much about the tempest but looks good too.

MHL

Try hard noob
I've got a da vinci and I find it a bit unsatisfying.

If you're after the throat hit of a joint, I'd probably go for the tinymight. You get all the good stuff out quite fast too.

But if you're after the slow relaxed session vibe of a joint, I'd probably have recommended the mighty. Except you say it's not for you.

Somehwere in the middle of those two is the firewood.

I've not tried any devices with an external heat source, so I can't comment on those. Maybe they would have the joint-esque vibe that you're after.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I second the Danivape or similar for the joint experience. I Generally do 3 heat ups with about 5 tokes per heat cycle, so it feels joint like to pull on it multiple times before reheating and retains heat long enough to pass to a friend like a joint.

I would also highly recommend one of the new generation Arizers (max, air SE, solo 3). I use my air SE all the time like a joint. Start up, load stem and toke until done (around 10 minutes). Very close to the ritual and pretty close effects wise with conduction leaning hybrid. It hits much harder then my original Air. In fact the Air Max has taken precedence over many more expensive Vapes and is now my most used vape. Very surprised I am!

It's also been a hit with my cricket team, completely replacing joints. Instead of rolling they now ask if I brought the device! And we all pass the air around instead. One dude from the team then bought a solo 2 and another 2 smokers I know are now using Arizers instead of (or supplementing) smoking.

Hope that helps

Tji89

I will recommend solo 3 for a joint like experience. I have TM2, dynavap, danivape and so on. The Solo 3 will spit out alot of vape immediately and doesn't require long inhales or reheats. It feels very joint like for me. But it's big and not necessarily very portable.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Yes the air max is smaller than the Solo 3 and the Air SE is a little smaller again with both using replaceable batteries.

I won't claim it's the smallest most portable vape but With the stem removed I often forget I have the air in my pocket.

I usually pre pack 2 or 3 stems so I don't have to fuss with a container or reloading so it feels a little like having 2 or 3 pre rolled in your pocket.

coolbreeze

What do you think of Mad Heaters' Tempest?
This or a Thermal Accumulator (the OG Tempest) or the Dani or others like these would be my recommendation. The Dynavap M7 does extended tokes on a single heating, if you want a DV. The Firewood has a bigger capacity so many more hits than any of the pens.

The ball-loaded pens do feel the most joint-like to me both the form factor and the results.

Solo 3 is good, the one that lays me out is the Flower Kettle (with the preheated ElectroPath bowl). I think it's not really considered because of the budget but honestly.... I don't even do concentrates anymore lol. It just lays me out every time, it's ridiculous.

therecentlyundeceased,
Reactions: coolbreeze

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Solo 3 is good, the one that lays me out is the Flower Kettle (with the preheated ElectroPath bowl). I think it's not really considered because of the budget but honestly.... I don't even do concentrates anymore lol. It just lays me out every time, it's ridiculous.
Sporty90 has low tolerance & is looking for a vape for a longer session like a joint, the flower kettle looks to be the opposite of what they need?

Another good vape worth mentioning is Davinci IQC. I know that sporty90 wasn't happy with their old IQ so I didn't want to mention another davinci, but my friend has the IQC and it really is good. Maybe something was wrong with sporty90s old one? But if anyone else is looking for a joint like vape the iqc (and iq2?) is perfect!

Two extra things worth getting for it. My friend uses wpa from iq2 as a mouthpiece instead of stock mouthpiece, feels even more like a joint then. And he uses spacers for the oven so that he doesn't have to fill it up full and still be effective. Before he bought the original davinci spacers he used those steel wool concentrate pads from s&b mighty capsules and re-rolled them to fit. Worked just as well. Could probably use anything actually as long as it allows air to pass through. Last time I used his I tried loading with very little with steel spacer on top and was still satisfied by effects. Had a very nice session and could take many puffs and blew out clouds for several minutes.

Tellus,
Reactions: MHL
Top Bottom